forum

Skill gap between jumps and streams

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Pablurp
So basically I started playing osu! a few years back and never downloaded any maps because I was too lazy. After some time I picked up the game again and decided to download some of the openings I liked that would show up in the beatmaps homepage, and I played only those that I could easily pass (the aim heavy jump maps) because I have an fps background and didn't really like the streams. After that, I would just download packs of thousands of maps and play the jump maps for fun, and soon enough I'd get kind of stuck since a lot of them were starting to incorporate bursts and streams in the middle of the songs and I would have trouble fcing those maps, so I had decided to start taking learning streams seriously. Now, I can pass some of the 7 star jump maps but streams-centered stamina maps with 5-6 stars are quite difficult for me to clear, and I'm just wondering if this happens to a lot of people and what's the best way to slowly get the gist for streaming.
PS: Might have to add that I used to play with only mouse (no keyboard) up to like mid 5 stars so that's why I avoided streaming heavily as streaming while aiming made my forearm tense up a lot and it would end up hurting.
monkeyboy56
It's called being a jump on trick and it's extremely common. The best solutions are outlined here

https://youtu.be/vhpkAiPOTq8
rematyar
play more low star burst/stream maps
MrSparklepants
"Might have to add that I used to play with only mouse (no keyboard) up to like mid 5 stars so that's why I avoided streaming heavily as streaming while aiming made my forearm tense up a lot and it would end up hurting."

This is very common especially for lower-ranked players or players with low time played since jumps are arguable easier than streams when you first start off, but the best play in my own opinion to start getting better at streaming is to start playing more maps that include triples, bursts, and small streams so you can get the basics down first, and then after that just work your way up. And at first it might be a little frustrating since your jumping is good, but your streaming is bad, but just give it time and it'll work out.
Topic Starter
Pablurp

MrSparklepants wrote:

"Might have to add that I used to play with only mouse (no keyboard) up to like mid 5 stars so that's why I avoided streaming heavily as streaming while aiming made my forearm tense up a lot and it would end up hurting."

This is very common especially for lower-ranked players or players with low time played since jumps are arguable easier than streams when you first start off, but the best play in my own opinion to start getting better at streaming is to start playing more maps that include triples, bursts, and small streams so you can get the basics down first, and then after that just work your way up. And at first it might be a little frustrating since your jumping is good, but your streaming is bad, but just give it time and it'll work out.
Thanks for the advice man! I've been trying to play a lot of streams lately, but can't really get the timings right at the start of the streams but I can sort of adjust mid stream, any advice on that? Or should I just keep playing
MrSparklepants

Pablurp wrote:

MrSparklepants wrote:

Thanks for the advice man! I've been trying to play a lot of streams lately, but can't really get the timings right at the start of the streams but I can sort of adjust mid stream, any advice on that? Or should I just keep playing
Honestly I'd say it should adjust on it's own as time goes by and you practice more, but just incase I would watch the replay back see if I hit too early or too late and just learn from there.