forum

[osu!mania] Hitsound rule of instrumental

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
woc2006
Rules: You must either use full customized hitsound on instrumental music or just left every note silent.

Explain:

Default hitsounds(default/soft/drum) is not designed for instrumental, and sounds strange when they mixed up. You should find samples that fit the music. That's: Full customized hitsound for each note.
Or leave hitsound slient but you still have to ensure appropriate sound and volume for these players who want hitsound, and every note has its corresponding part in the music. Players can easily find back hitsound by overriding with his own hitsound from skin or osu!.

Slient rule is just for mappers to recommend slient hitsound playing style and shouldn't be overused in any simple songs that just need a few samples to achieve full customized sounded.

Whether this rule is viable in vocal songs needs further discussion.

last updated: 2013-5-13
Agka
+support

Would at the very least fix most major issues with hitsounding- Mostly it provides a nice middle ground at this point for both mappers and players to rejoice on the hitsounding issue. (Please be noted that this idea appeared after three threads of discussion, as well as internal talk within people I know are concerned with this.)
Ekaru

Agka wrote:

+support

Would at the very least fix most major issues with hitsounding.
This is woc so I don't think it needs support. >_>

That said, this is probably the best way to handle it. I see no problem with this since it bans you from putting the volume slider to minimum so turning off custom hitsounds will work if someone truly desires that.
Agka
Eh Ekaru, you wouldn't believe.
Gon
so instrumental sounds do not go hand in hand with drum hitsounds etc. makes sense. support 8-)
DuckRice_old
Sounds good to me. Support :3
Staiain
support
Sp3ct3r_2k11
+1
At least we're getting somewhere
those

woc2006 wrote:

2.What is silence?
You're not allowed to mute hitsound, keep the volume at 50%~70%, but replace hitsound file with empty one. Players can easily find back hitsound by overriding with his own hitsound from skin or osu!.
Players can easily mute hitsounds by ignoring skin if they use blank hitsound files in their own skin.
Also, threads in this forum aren't about "+1" or "support". Bring points to the thread or not at all.
Hanyuu
Any song should be allowed to have blank hitsounds, doesnt matter if instrumental or not. And for the players that like to have their songs distorted by unfitting hitsounds or hitsounds that cover up even fine details of the song they can check the ignore skin option to have that. Its also better to play without wrong feedback, meaning no hitsounds because you don't really get distracted by it, you pay more attention to the notes and figure out easier just by the sequence of button presses what you are actually playing and it gives a deeper understanding about the song and what the map is meant to represent. Unfitting hitsounds does the opposite for me, compared to fully keysounded or just blank.
Also +1 support
Topic Starter
woc2006

Hanyuu wrote:

Any song should be allowed to have blank hitsounds, doesnt matter if instrumental or not. And for the players that like to have their songs distorted by unfitting hitsounds or hitsounds that cover up even fine details of the song they can check the ignore skin option to have that. Its also better to play without wrong feedback, meaning no hitsounds because you don't really get distracted by it, you pay more attention to the notes and figure out easier just by the sequence of button presses what you are actually playing and it gives a deeper understanding about the song and what the map is meant to represent. Unfitting hitsounds does the opposite for me, compared to fully keysounded or just blank.
Also +1 support
It's not simply silence, you should carefully set the sampleset and hitsoundtype, ensure if player turn on they could hear proper hitsounds not totally noise.

And rule is for instrumental only, i don't like a piano song mixed with clap or something. it's weird.
ExPew
good...support ><
Dazzy
A step forward, support!
Maiz94
+1
D33d
What defines "full key sounds?" A group of different sounds for each section in the song's structure or lots of different sounds for each line of the music?
Maiz94

D33d wrote:

What defines "full key sounds?" A group of different sounds for each section in the song's structure or lots of different sounds for each line of the music?
Full keysounds means a set of WAVs/OGGs files to complete/create 1 song.
ljqandylee
Then is it allowed if my keysounds set contains mute hitsound?

I wish to add some hitsounds to make a song sounds better, but I don't want every note to have its own hitsound, bcz some notes are just following a kind of instrument in the song, if I also have to add hitsounds to them, it will be either reduplicate or inappropiate.

If it is allowed, then I'll agree with this rule xD
Topic Starter
woc2006

ljqandylee wrote:

Then is it allowed if my keysounds set contains mute hitsound?

I wish to add some hitsounds to make a song sounds better, but I don't want every note to have its own hitsound, bcz some notes are just following a kind of instrument in the song, if I also have to add hitsounds to them, it will be either reduplicate or inappropiate.

If it is allowed, then I'll agree with this rule xD
Not allowed. full key sound or silence.
Sakura
Before anyone else posts more +1/support as the only thing in their posts without any reasoning:

peppy wrote:

Keep in mind that as much as you disagree with the rules, if you are able to take a step back and look at the outcome of setting stricter rules, you will realise they will only do the community good. Try to think about these things objectively rather than how it may affect or offend you personally.

Basically, I am just posting this to say that while I also have a few problems with some of the rules here, it is a working document and changes can be made. If you don't agree with something:

* State the exact rule you do not agree with (do not focus on the new rules as an overall "bad" thing).
* State why you do not agree with it. Make sure you have a better reason than "I don't like it" or "that's not how I roll".
* State how you would reword or change the rule in order to make it work better for the good of the community.

Do not attack other people. Do not criticise how this thread was made, or who was and who wasn't included in its creation. You are all here now to help us shape these rules into something that will increase the quality of mapping to a new level.

Yes these rules are in place, but if they are stopping you from getting your existing beatmap from being ranked, your map isn't suddenly going to explode. We can talk these things through and if the result is an unrankable map, you *can* decide to change your map.

It's a bit late to say this, but please only post if you can abide by the points I have mentioned above. So far only a small portion of posts have managed to do this. Feel free to delete your posts if you didn't, as you are not being productive.
If within 24 hours none of the posts have been edited to provide reasoning or anything like that they'll be deleted (only the ones that only say +1 or Support)

@woc: the override hitsounds doesn't work well if people dont actually bother doiing proper hitsounding as i specified in: p/2296674
Topic Starter
woc2006

Sakura wrote:

Before anyone else posts more +1/support as the only thing in their posts without any reasoning:

peppy wrote:

Keep in mind that as much as you disagree with the rules, if you are able to take a step back and look at the outcome of setting stricter rules, you will realise they will only do the community good. Try to think about these things objectively rather than how it may affect or offend you personally.

Basically, I am just posting this to say that while I also have a few problems with some of the rules here, it is a working document and changes can be made. If you don't agree with something:

* State the exact rule you do not agree with (do not focus on the new rules as an overall "bad" thing).
* State why you do not agree with it. Make sure you have a better reason than "I don't like it" or "that's not how I roll".
* State how you would reword or change the rule in order to make it work better for the good of the community.

Do not attack other people. Do not criticise how this thread was made, or who was and who wasn't included in its creation. You are all here now to help us shape these rules into something that will increase the quality of mapping to a new level.

Yes these rules are in place, but if they are stopping you from getting your existing beatmap from being ranked, your map isn't suddenly going to explode. We can talk these things through and if the result is an unrankable map, you *can* decide to change your map.

It's a bit late to say this, but please only post if you can abide by the points I have mentioned above. So far only a small portion of posts have managed to do this. Feel free to delete your posts if you didn't, as you are not being productive.
If within 24 hours none of the posts have been edited to provide reasoning or anything like that they'll be deleted (only the ones that only say +1 or Support)

@woc: the override hitsounds doesn't work well if people dont actually bother doiing proper hitsounding as i specified in: p/2296674
I explained before: You still have to properly assign hitsound to each note, but allowed to publish as silence version because you believe silence version is better.
Sakura
Well that makes sense, tho i hope people do mod the hitsounds then. I still dont see the reason to silencing them IF you are already doing proper hitsounding with normal, clap, whistle, finish tho, the only difference is that if you use blank.wav then the player has to pass the map to be able to hear hitsounds and if you don't they can hear them from the get go or mute them.
Draconi
There are some things I don't think are clear from the first post so I'd like to ask a couple things:

1. By instrumental you mean the whole song or just sections of it? As in, can you make non-vocal parts of the song silent and hitsounds only on vocal parts?
2. If you manage to fully keysound the instruments of a song with vocals, do you still have to add hitsounds as accompaniment to the vocals or can you ignore them?
Topic Starter
woc2006

Sakura wrote:

Well that makes sense, tho i hope people do mod the hitsounds then. I still dont see the reason to silencing them IF you are already doing proper hitsounding with normal, clap, whistle, finish tho, the only difference is that if you use blank.wav then the player has to pass the map to be able to hear hitsounds and if you don't they can hear them from the get go or mute them.
The rule is aimed to give mapper the right to publish his map in silence version because he think playing with hitsound is not recommended.
But the other hand, he has to ensure those players who turn on hitsound still have fun.
Topic Starter
woc2006

Draconi wrote:

There are some things I don't think are clear from the first post so I'd like to ask a couple things:

1. By instrumental you mean the whole song or just sections of it? As in, can you make non-vocal parts of the song silent and hitsounds only on vocal parts?
2. If you manage to fully keysound the instruments of a song with vocals, do you still have to add hitsounds as accompaniment to the vocals or can you ignore them?
1. We can discuss whether should we extend this rule to vocal
2. ignore them.
NatsumeRin
If we're allowing muted sounds, why don't we remove the rule in mania mode entirely. If someone want just simple effects, he/she should have the right to do it.

Trying to check related threads, may post more later.
Maiz94
Since PROGUY's map, https://osu.ppy.sh/s/85585 were using all the same hitsound and already ranked, so does it means that this thread is denied?
Topic Starter
woc2006

ishimaru94 wrote:

Since PROGUY's map, https://osu.ppy.sh/s/85585 were using all the same hitsound and already ranked, so does it means that this thread is denied?
Denied.