forum

[web] New Place for "Previously known as ..." [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +141
show more
deadbeat
i'd rather have a clear easy to see way of seeing "previously know as" instead of having it hidden like that
Primula_old

Teara wrote:

There is a reason why its there. It draws your attention.

Lets say I didn't log in for 6 months. I log in game, and I see this new person in my friends list, lets call him person x.. I go O.O, and open their profile, then I can see, aah its "y" thats now has the nickname "x". This will totally hide that, which defeats the purpose.

Aka- suggestion is a good one thou. Maybe after a year, it can be hidden like you suggested.
You know.. you could simply.. ask who they are? (kidding)
I do agree for how its intended like you explained, it's nice to be informed of who they previously were in case they never told you or something, but I feel in that way it should only be information of which is available to mutual friends (maybe just E-Mail those people with "X has changed his/her name to Y". I don't really see why strangers would need to know who you previously were.

For sake of privacy (when someone wishes to change their name because it's similar to their real name, or because someone they're avoiding knows them by that name etc), I think it's a good idea to allow 'Previously known as' to be optionally shown to public.

I don't really like OP's idea of having it hidden with a hover function, at least differentiate it a little in comparison to a name that hasn't been changed to make it easy to understand that you can hover over it. (Eg. Put an asterisk after changed names)
Topic Starter
Deni

Primula wrote:

[...] but I feel in that way it should only be information of which is available to mutual friends (maybe just E-Mail those people with "X has changed his/her name to Y". I don't really see why strangers would need to know who you previously were.
That would be a good idea.

Primula wrote:

For sake of privacy (when someone wishes to change their name because it's similar to their real name, or because someone they're avoiding knows them by that name etc), I think it's a good idea to allow 'Previously known as' to be optionally shown to public.
They will only remove the "Previously known as ..." under extraordinary circumstances. I don't think they ever will add an option to hide the "Previously known as ..." 100%.

Ephemeral wrote:

There's a reason this exists, and is only removed by request under extraordinary circumstances.

Primula wrote:

I don't really like OP's idea of having it hidden with a hover function, at least differentiate it a little in comparison to a name that hasn't been changed to make it easy to understand that you can hover over it. (Eg. Put an asterisk after changed names)
I also like this idea, might add this to the request later.
Ekaru

deadbeat wrote:

i'd rather have a clear easy to see way of seeing "previously know as" instead of having it hidden like that
^This. I actually check people's profiles on a regular basis solely to see if they're somebody I know but with a changed name. I highly doubt that's unusual or strange behavior. Having to hover actually adds quite a few seconds to such a task, and while it's just a few seconds each time it probably wouldn't take long for it to start pissing me off.

If people mostly did sensible, subtle namechanges I would have no problem with this request, but unfortunately some osu! users insist on making some... strange... namechanges.
Babukus

deadbeat wrote:

It is fine like this, it's easy to see if someone changed and who they were before and isn't too big or messing up anything, so why change it?
Instead of hovering over you'd just look and see it. Some people don't even change and would be easier to know they don't change by not showing the "previously known as" as it does currently instead of having to hover over.

Ekaru wrote:

Having to hover actually adds quite a few seconds to such a task, and while it's just a few seconds each time it probably wouldn't take long for it to start pissing me off.
I honestly don't mind the "previously known as" right now because I started with my previous name and I started to know people with my previous name. Well, in my case it's still my DA name so I'm still associated with it.

I understand that some people do not want their previous names to be seen for various reasons.
Topic Starter
Deni

Babukus wrote:

Instead of hovering over you'd just look and see it. Some people don't even change and would be easier to know they don't change by not showing the "previously known as" as it does currently instead of having to hover over.
I added Primula's suggestion to the request now, so that there's a little asterisk behind changed usernames.
theowest
The little box you're talking about is a tool-tip, how about you write that instead. :)
Saten
You won't be able to see the previous name if you were to use a tablet/smartphone/etc to browse osu! though.
Topic Starter
Deni

theowest wrote:

The little box you're talking about is a tool-tip, how about you write that instead. :)
Thanks, done. ;)
Papysh
Good idea lel
Stefan

Saten wrote:

You won't be able to see the previous name if you were to use a tablet/smartphone/etc to browse osu! though.
I can't as example scroll down some User Pages if they are too long on my android phone. I find that this is an "issue" - which isn't even worth to call it as issue - where people can live with it.
silmarilen
you know dksslqj maps and skystar maps? those are the old names of mappers, i found out who they are because it says "Previously known as skystar" on Amamiya Yuko's profile clearly in view.
if it were a tool-tip i would never have found out because who would hover their mouse over every single person's name just to see if they used to have an old name?
Topic Starter
Deni

Deni wrote:

It's also a good idea to differentiate it a little in comparison to a name that hasn't been changed to make it easy to understand that you can hover over it. (Eg. Put an asterisk after changed names) (Thanks to Primula for this idea).

I just took a white asterisk to show this suggestion. It could also be another color or symbol if it's not noticeable.
Stefan

silmarilen wrote:

you know dksslqj maps and skystar maps? those are the old names of mappers, i found out who they are because it says "Previously known as skystar" on Amamiya Yuko's profile clearly in view.
Well, Amamiya Yuko still calls his Diffs as "Skystar". I personally find it not good since it has less relation to the old name. Also because newer people won't recognize the Mapper behind of the Diff.

silmarilen wrote:

if it were a tool-tip i would never have found out because who would hover their mouse over every single person's name just to see if they used to have an old name?
Doesn't peppy annouce every new feature detailed? I remember he does. And if people are too lazy to take some seconds to read that, why should this be our problem tbh?

And yeah, if people are too.. well, naive to go with their cursor on the newer Name then add a symbol to say "Hey, this person had a older name." At least people will go on this symbol since it's the curiosity to check what meaning this symbol might have. After some time everyone will get that.
silmarilen
and when there is a symbol there to indicate the person used to have a different name, how exactly is that more convenient than the current system?
Stefan
From cosmetic sight. There is actually nothing against it? Or is there a real good argument why this idea would be bad? To remove it (how some thought) is a bad Idea, indeed. But to hide it and to give via symbol a hint that you can see there the old name is a good and creative idea. And as I said, I want good and reasonable reasons why this wouldn't work well or/and it's bad.
Kuro
Added?

deadbeat
well i'll be damned. guess i can mark this as added. though i think there should be at least some sign or something showing the the username has been changed. like an * or something :(
Topic Starter
Deni
Thanks to peppy for adding this, and thank you guys for your support!
Stefan
Won-der-ful! :D
jemhuntr
i think the tooltip should show up even on posts tho (not just on the user's profile)
theowest

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

i think the tooltip should show up even on posts tho (not just on the user's profile)
that's a pretty decent idea.