forum

General Glitch Discussion

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
synchronincity
Has anyone tried this glitch on the original Super Mario ?

Azure_Kite
Multiple times. It's not exactly hard to do.

Personally I find the small fire mario glitch more fun, maybe because I can actually play through the game afterwards without having to reset.
Pokebis
omg did u guiz here about mising nu itz dis glitch in pokemon were u talk 2 da old man and den surf in cinibar island nd u unlock secrt legendary pokmemon
Azure_Kite
omg rly? i nevr new tat. I also liek the one wer you give a pomeg bery 2 a pokemon when it has 116 HP EVs and u take it down 2 4 helf, then u use the pomeg berry and faint all yor other pokemon. All yor pokemon are at 0 hp but yu dont lose.

Maybe a generic Glitch thread may be appropriate.
LukaXD
This glitch is very fun to do, and it's easy (once you get the hang of it), did it multiple times on the original NES.
This glitch gets even better when done on the Famicom Disk System (used an emulator for that), if you do this glitch on the disk system you get a completely different -1 level, which you can actually clear. You can then continue to -2 and -3 where the game ends (-3 is a castle stage where you defeat bowser).
Topic Starter
synchronincity
So by defeating Bowser in -3, starting the game again replaces most goombas with buzzy beetles as if you completed smb?
mm201
World -1 can't be won, since the ending pipe leads to ... the beginning of World -1. I've done this glitch a few times. Much easier than the infinite lives koopa glitch.
Missingno is my best bud. Funny how every odd generation has unlimited TMs in one way or another. :P

Renamed the thread.

Edit: Funny about the Pomeg glitch. This one time, I found a shiny Chikorita on the GTS. They wanted a Seaking 9 and under in exchange, so I did the Pomeg glitch to train an egg, hatched my lv5 Seaking, Pal Parked it, only to find the Chikorita was gone. Taken by a hacker, no doubt.
Azure_Kite

mm201 wrote:

Edit: Funny about the Pomeg glitch. This one time, I found a shiny Chikorita on the GTS. They wanted a Seaking 9 and under in exchange, so I did the Pomeg glitch to train an egg, hatched my lv5 Seaking, Pal Parked it, only to find the Chikorita was gone. Taken by a hacker, no doubt.

"I LEGITIMATELY GLITCHED MY WAY TO A LEVEL1 SEAKING, HOW DARE YOU STEAL THAT FROM ME."

Acid rain is good for a laugh sometimes. Pokémon, especially the first generation, is full of interesting glitches.

I remember in Metroid Prime : Hunters, it was possible to clip through slightly acute angled walls; all you had to do was run into the corner looking out, then fire a weapon with splash damage like the missiles or that magma gun thingy, and you would get blasted back.

In multiplayer battles it was an easy way to win; single player, if you could get to a loading zone without going through the "conventional way" (Those shootable doors), you'd be standing on untextured land. If you shot the other door to go to a new zone, it'd freeze.
Gabi
I've always wondered how people find out about glitches like the one in pokemon lol.
mm201
It would have been discovered in parts.
First would have come discovering that you encounter wild Pokémon on the right side shore. Then someone discovered that the encounter data got stale when you went to Cinnibar and applied that to encounter safari Pokémon there. Other than by fluke, I don't really understand how anyone found the old man part.
Stefan

Very popular.
Pokebis

Gabi wrote:

I've always wondered how people find out about glitches like the one in pokemon lol.
A lot of the more complex glitches are from people who understand game programming to an at least basic level. Once you figure out the structure of the mechanics and how all the values in the games talk to each other you can discover quite a bit. A lot of people actually discover this sort of stuff by playing with hex values in real-time while they play the game. This is also how game trainers on PC games (and console in some cases) are made.

Although, the bases of the glitches are usually discovered by people jacking around. Sometimes someone will discover a glitch by chance, post the info about it, and other people will begin digging into it and researching the mechanics of the game. I'm quite good at figuring ways to find glitches in games (especially breaking out of collision points in 3D games) for some reason or another, but it usually involves my first (or later) instinct to play the game completely unintended. I've discovered some amusing things just by playing around in places I'm not supposed to be.
Azure_Kite
Indeed, a lot of the stuff is found just by exploring. Series like the Legend of Zelda are also fraught with glitches everywhere, and the 3DS version deliberately left most N64 glitches in there, in order to avoid that old trope "They changed it, now it sucks."

There are a few added glitches, though. Like the ability to enter JabuJabu's belly as an adult, as well as how to get > 20 hearts in the game. I'm currently playing with 26 Hearts, and that specific glitch also causes the missing carrots in this Off-Topic thread.

To do it, all you have to do is play Dampe's gravedigging hunt as child Link. For some reason, the Heart Piece you acquire there isn't removed from the list of possible prizes when you leave and return to the graveyard.
Fight69
I love Call of Duty.

LukaXD

mm201 wrote:

World -1 can't be won, since the ending pipe leads to ... the beginning of World -1. I've done this glitch a few times. Much easier than the infinite lives koopa glitch.
Actually, the NES version can't be cleared, the Famicom Disk System one can be cleared (Since the level is different, and no pipes are involved).
The -3 world is the castle stage, after Bowser is defeated the game freezes after the message given by Toad.
Ekaru
My favorite game for glitching is Super Mario 64. God, you can do so many cool things with glitches in that game.
mm201
Most of the SM64 glitches involved frame-perfect timing or 60hz button mashing to pull off successfully.
The best I could do was get on top of the castle with <120 stars.

LukaXD wrote:

Actually, the NES version can't be cleared, the Famicom Disk System one can be cleared (Since the level is different, and no pipes are involved).
The -3 world is the castle stage, after Bowser is defeated the game freezes after the message given by Toad.
I highly doubt anyone in this thread has ever seen a famicom disk system.
Ekaru

mm201 wrote:

Most of the SM64 glitches involved frame-perfect timing or 60hz button mashing to pull off successfully.
The best I could do was get on top of the castle with <120 stars.
Getting on top of the castle was such a pain. IIRC, I found the bunny parts of doing the 16-star glitch much easier. Same with getting inside the aquarium. But yeah, quite a few of the glitches took a lot of attempts because you had to get them just right.
Azure_Kite

mm201 wrote:

I highly doubt anyone in this thread has ever seen a famicom disk system.
I have. There was one set up with SMB at the Game On 2.0 Expo down here last year. There were many older consoles, as well as some arcade machines, some VR games and recent console games. Also, parappa the rapper. Sadly, I was left alone playing some Japanese danmaku game whilst everyone crowded around halo 3 :'(
mm201
Oh yeah I can get a bobomb to push me through one of those metal cages on the first level.
Ekaru

mm201 wrote:

Oh yeah I can get a bobomb to push me through one of those metal cages on the first level.
You can? I need to hook up our N64 and try that one.
bomber34
Don't forget that awesome stair accelerator jump :D
show more