forum

How to not get depressed while playing?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Rokk
Some people still tend to see osu! as a competitive game, though. And in some regards, it's pretty competitive. Think monthly charts, global ranking, map ranking and all that stuff.
Purple

Wishy wrote:

osu! is not a competitive game, Aqo is, from what I know about him, a gamer who is usually serious about highly competitive games, and it is ok to get mad while failing at them, but osu! is not competitive at all, therefore etc.

If you think osu! is competitive then your knowledge about games is less than a joke.
osu! IS competitive. Its just way easier to give up on it than any other game, due to its incredibly high skill ceiling. People would rather call the game "casual" than admit the game is too good for them. Aqo seems like the intelligent sort, so he noticed the uniqueness of osu! as a learning experience, and is taking it very seriously (just like thelewa did).
TamaraMarie
I regularly play osu! to fix my depression (or browse the forums) so when losing makes me feel even worse, I stop, get a snack, and watch some perfect replays of others. Sometimes it works and inspires me to do a bit better when I try again. ^^
Wishy

Purple wrote:

Wishy wrote:

osu! is not a competitive game, Aqo is, from what I know about him, a gamer who is usually serious about highly competitive games, and it is ok to get mad while failing at them, but osu! is not competitive at all, therefore etc.

If you think osu! is competitive then your knowledge about games is less than a joke.
osu! IS competitive. Its just way easier to give up on it than any other game, due to its incredibly high skill ceiling. People would rather call the game "casual" than admit the game is too good for them. Aqo seems like the intelligent sort, so he noticed the uniqueness of osu! as a learning experience, and is taking it very seriously (just like thelewa did).
It's single player, you don't play against anyone and everyone else might aswell quit the game and nothing's gonna change. The "top" level you can reach is extremely high, this applies to pretty much any game tho, and competitive games have people playing pretty much 12hs+ a day and playing against each other all the time, while here the best player by far is Cookiezi, who doesn't even play that much at all since idk 2 years ago. There are almost none (maybe there are none) players who play osu! in an absolute serious manner. There is no competitive scene, and again it is in the end a single player game. You may tell yourself "yeh I'm a super serious player!!!!" yet you are no more than a casual compared to any serious player on any game.

Cookiezi is playing this game casually/for fun and is by far the best, that is only possible on a community where there are no competitive players at all. Even if you like to convince yourself that you ARE seriously competitive, you are not, being a serious competitive player means a lot more than "wanting to be the best".
TakuMii
@the whole "competitive, not casual"/vice-versa thing: anything considered casual can still be played competitively. There's actually a small but dedicated community for competitive Minesweeper, but that doesn't mean the game isn't casual. That goes both ways though. Just because osu! and Minesweeper is (mainly) singleplayer and has relatively simple gameplay, doesn't mean that you can't be serious about it and play competitively.

My advice: Play for the music and not for the circles. If/when you want to play competitive, try to stay optimistic (for example, instead of "I missed, I suck at this game", think "I can do this after a few more tries"), and if you can't do that, perhaps work on your basic skills first (warm up on easier songs and stuff, or playing on HT or NF or whatever floats your boat) before diving into FC'ing the harder maps.
Wishy
If you want osu! to be competitive you gonna have to rework the whole score system, add matchmaking, and probably tweak lot of gameplay-related things.

A game/sport gets competitive when you are actually playing against someone else in real time.
Soly
Tanzklaue

Wishy wrote:

there are competitions in like, everything. osu is really competitive, it even gives you scoreboards to compete with others.

competitive doesn't mean that you play the game versus each other. competitive means that you can compete against what another person did, or against other persons in general. even pure single player games can be competitive (speedruns say hello).
Jagermeiser
I haven't been able to beat some of my 20 day old scores now, and it is indeed depressing not to see a linear improvement. Atm, I'm just playing modified insanes on AR6, which is way more fun than normal maps. Playing the game differently may put you on a new improvement path, making progression much more distinguishable.
Purple

Wishy wrote:

It's single player, you don't play against anyone and everyone else might aswell quit the game and nothing's gonna change. The "top" level you can reach is extremely high, this applies to pretty much any game tho, and competitive games have people playing pretty much 12hs+ a day and playing against each other all the time, while here the best player by far is Cookiezi, who doesn't even play that much at all since idk 2 years ago. There are almost none (maybe there are none) players who play osu! in an absolute serious manner. There is no competitive scene, and again it is in the end a single player game. You may tell yourself "yeh I'm a super serious player!!!!" yet you are no more than a casual compared to any serious player on any game.

Cookiezi is playing this game casually/for fun and is by far the best, that is only possible on a community where there are no competitive players at all. Even if you like to convince yourself that you ARE seriously competitive, you are not, being a serious competitive player means a lot more than "wanting to be the best".
Since when does a game/sport need to be real time for it to be competitive? And since when does a game need a "competitive scene" to be competitive? By "competitive scene" I assume you mean money prizes, media attention and such. Competitive just means work hard to beat others, which is exactly what many high-level players do in this game. Maybe you should watch what kind of language you use. In fact, I'd say the real-time aspects of any videogame makes it less competitive, because it allows luck to come into place. "Oh geez, looks like rrtyui sneezed/lagged! South Korean team wins the championship!!". Sure it'd be nice if osu! could earn you money, but that's never going to happen. Doesn't mean its not competitive though.

The game isn't casual either; a "casual" game is a game directed/marketed for mass appeal. If you think osu! is a "mass appealing" game then, well, once again you need to revise the language you use. If you really think that's not what casual is, then go ahead and give me a definition - I wanna read it.

Cookiezi is an interesting fellow because noone really knows why he's so good, and if the answer is out there then people are just ignoring it. The reason why he is the best is NOT because everyone else sucks, though, or because no one else takes the game seriously. It's funny you mention him because, AFAIK, Cookiezi got into high-level StarCraft2 competition relatively quickly. GEEZ I WONDER HOW/WHY. Obviously, if you build up skills on osu! you build up skills at any other videogame, with some exceptions (i.e. poker-like games). And if you say otherwise, then maybe it is you who needs to educate yourself. It's also funny for you to undervalue the competitive nature of osu! when you yourself bitch about cheaters and flashlight at every opportunity.
JAKACHAN
If you are depressed over a game there is an easy way to stop it.

Quit

If you can't have fun playing a GAME then you should quit. This is why I rarely play for more than 10 minutes anymore because I play until I get bored of it which doesn't take long nowadays.
TakuMii

Purple wrote:

The game isn't casual either; a "casual" game is a game directed/marketed for mass appeal. If you think osu! is a "mass appealing" game then, well, once again you need to revise the language you use. If you really think that's not what casual is, then go ahead and give me a definition - I wanna read it.
IMO games shouldn't be classified as "casual" and "non-casual", since it's really the player who decides whether they're playing a game casually or not. Not the game.
eldnl

JAKACHAN wrote:

If you are depressed over a game there is an easy way to stop it.

Quit

If you can't have fun playing a GAME then you should quit. This is why I rarely play for more than 10 minutes anymore because I play until I get bored of it which doesn't take long nowadays.
so true, what's the point if you are not entertaining?
anyways, I already felt this, that's why I quitted for a while, now I only play songs that I like/enjoy and is quite fun to me ;D
ursa
for me it's

1. Stop playing for a while , & don't think about osu! , also think it just a game or like "there's a game or something that i must do" . it's effective if you really want to stop for a long time (because to think something that you must abandon in osu! like pp , maps or something else can make you frustased & depressed)

2.Watch Anime, or doing something for a while . if you want to leave your depressed feeling for a short time

also always think positive & perv :)
kriers
If you can't improve at the things you've practiced the most in osu!, try improving at an aspect you totally suck at and start over.
The end result of practicing different aspects of this game can take you really far.
NixXSkate
if i'm ever feeling really stuck or mad, i generally just stop what i'm doing and practice until i get sore. like play loituma for 2 hours nonstop (even though i'm still a really mediocre spinner) or practice the stream practice maps nonstop (even though i'm still mediocre at streaming).

when i feel the burn it makes me feel better, because i know that i'm gonna be helping my playing in the future, even if i couldn't do whatever i was previously trying to do.

also if you're having problems with a song, then i would stop playing it for a month (unless it took a lot of memorization of some sort)

PS: i laugh at everyone who thinks this game isn't competitive. what a fucking joke. of course it's competitive if you're trying to keep up with the level of other players.
Cobra
Play a really hard map where you get a lot of misses. Then it won't matter. That's what I do, and it's fun.
Vish024
I can understand being passionate about the game but you shouldn't let it get you down. Don't take it so seriously, just cool off by playing or doing something else. That's what I do when something's bothering me, though I find it difficult to get emotional over a game.
winber1

Aqo wrote:

The latter part actually makes a lot of sense Shiro, it kinda goes against what I've been wanting to do lately but I guess there's no choice.

As for spectators... doesn't work. I learned to be completely indifferent to random specs. Two people came to spec me today and I completely ignored their existence since they didn't write anything :v
i end up failing up more when people spec, idk, i'm not even nervous. koromo is a curse.

kriers wrote:

If you can't improve at the things you've practiced the most in osu!, try improving at an aspect you totally suck at and start over.
The end result of practicing different aspects of this game can take you really far.
also what if the thing you suck at is the reason u are depressed? e.g. i can't fuking do fast counter clock clockwise squares for my life.
kriers
Aqo you come from the land of deserts and tons of sunlight. Just make sure you get enough sunlight during the day and if you're still depressed, go see a doctor.
Rinko
Osu is a stressful game that is addicting. :o
Gon

kriers wrote:

Aqo you come from the land of deserts and tons of sunlight. Just make sure you get enough sunlight during the day and if you're still depressed, go see a doctor.
tons of missiles too l0l
Rouward

Aqo wrote:

Anybody has good suggestions on how not to get depressed while playing? Since it creates a vicious cycle where you start playing worse because of getting depressed and then you start getting more depressed since you're playing worse

Please don't come up with random theory responses for the sake of posting. If you don't have something from your experience that worked then don't bother replying. If you do know something that worked for you then please share
How can you depressed if you're one of the top player in this game?
I feel so Depressed that I always got the lowest ranking in every map I played
That's why I stopped playing this game for a while 'cause most of the players here are better than me even they say they're bad at playing osu.

If you're really depressed, then we're leaving this game.
Topic Starter
Aqo

Rouward wrote:

How can you depressed if you're one of the top player in this game?
I'm not. I appreciate the people who are trying to be nice by saying this but it's not true and I'm not looking for cheerleading, I specifically asked for people who were in this situation too to tell what they did to deal with this. Other than sCam, Millhiore and Shiro very few people understood the op (I don't mind if there's discussion in the thread for unrelated stuff that people are interested in. I personally don't consider osu competitive).

Anyway, it seems like it was indeed true that the 'Retry' button is the spawn of hatred. Gotta avoid it at all costs; to anybody who gets caught in this situation in the future -> this is the most effective solution. Avoid retry button >.<
Tsukimi Luna
i feel depressed when i see people who play with mouse can play so much better than me
I play with M1 (tapping) with z+x for streamings
People say my aim is good
But i dont think its any special since i have absolute precision compared to other players when i use M1 :(

And see how other people can stream everything!
Anzo
Stare at shimeji characters... google them if you don't know what it is...