forum

How to not get depressed while playing?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Kyujuroku 96
Just play for fun not for compete. If you suck , try a different mode. Also don't take this game too seriously. Its just a game after all
RaneFire
You don't fight depression by doing something that makes you depressed.
I'd just take a break from the game, re-assess other things life, and come back later with a different outlook on osu!
Placing too much importance on the game, and not other things, can lead to depression.
You will also be surprised to know just how many highly skilled gamers get depressed. It's obsession.
Getting as good as cookiezi will not solve it. Being human nature, you will always desire more, and never be satisfied.

Hard truth, but you will realise that the source of your depression is not the game, it's being concerned about it so much.

As for spectating, I can agree this helps. Supporting one another is something that defines our lives.
Purple
It took Niko 2 years to not 1xmiss or 1xsliderbreak Chipscape. Don't give up!

Also do something you can actually do. I.E. Not homework crisis HR
Topic Starter
Aqo
But chipscape is hard as fuck man

I actually told myself I'll stop playing hard stuff and play some easy maps for once to try to get some FCs but I can't even FC easy maps nomod this sucks so much. I don't want to wait 2 years...

All of the "take a break" suggestions are not helping guys. I already tried this. I'm back from a week break right now (for osu!standard that is) and just more depressed than ever.

Gonna try a mix between what Millhiore and what Shiro said, even that they're kinda opposites. This game is really... frustrating. :(
Kanye West

Saint wrote:

REMEMBER: everyone who is better than you cheats
including you
cheesiest

Kanye West wrote:

Saint wrote:

including you
SHOTS FIRED

map instead of play :-)
Omgforz
Confirming the spectator experience.

to not get frustrated I usually play hard stuff (as in not comfortable with) to improve, but if I feel some kind of frustration or anger I immediately switch to songs I'm comfortable with.
I'm doing this because I found out, only playing songs you're comfortable with decreases your concentration after time, which creates random misses. Try to look at every note to actually "register" it being there. If you don't want to, then you're not concentrated/motivated enough.

Oh, and don't go into a song EXPECTING some kind of result, because if you can't deliver these results, then you're going to feel frustrated.

but that's just my 2 cents as a mediocre player
D33d
Play a variety of maps and also focus on familiar maps, so that you can hone your accuracy. I suppose. If you're not where you think you should be, then keep playing in moderation until your skill increases naturally. As far as I know, you're at a "pro" level now, so it should be a case of building on what you can do, without straining yourself.

If you hit a brick wall after a while of playing, then play slightly easier maps with mods until you can be 100% consistent.

As for taking a break, find something that will keep you compelled outside of the game and then balance the two activities. I've managed to keep myself away from the game by focusing on uni work and other musical endeavours, so I suggest finding a creative outlet that doesn't involve beatmaps.
usa
why so serious?
once you stop giving two sheeps about the game, the grass becomes greener.
Wishy
osu! is not competitive therefore you shouldn't get mad about it.
Tanzklaue

Wishy wrote:

biggest bullshit I have heard in quite a while.

play for fun, don't frustrate you by retrying something over and over again, don't compare yourself too much against better players.
CXu

Aqo wrote:

But chipscape is hard as fuck man

I actually told myself I'll stop playing hard stuff and play some easy maps for once to try to get some FCs but I can't even FC easy maps nomod this sucks so much. I don't want to wait 2 years...

All of the "take a break" suggestions are not helping guys. I already tried this. I'm back from a week break right now (for osu!standard that is) and just more depressed than ever.

Gonna try a mix between what Millhiore and what Shiro said, even that they're kinda opposites. This game is really... frustrating. :(
Start by lowering your standard for "easy maps".
buny
by not being sad
Shiro

MMzz wrote:

Stop playing? If it is effecting your health its not worth it. Same thing could be said about getting angry at games in general. Its all unnessecary stress.
I've learnt to control my anger thanks to games and Aikido. If anything, I'd say yes, get angry at games, so you can learn not to get angry when it actually matters. There was a research that found that gamers have a much lower reaction time in general and are capable of doing things (with their hands, or remembering information) people who don't play games can't.

Aqo wrote:

Gonna try a mix between what Millhiore and what Shiro said, even that they're kinda opposites.
They are not. Millhiore said to play the songs fully without retrying every time you get a miss (and I do that) and I said to play things you know are too hard for you.

Aqo wrote:

This game is really... frustrating. :(
It's frustrating because you care.
Raging Bull
I play play easier insanes/maps/songs I love with no intent of FC, but just a random play, when I can't do good on a particular map.
AngelG_No55

Aqo wrote:

I actually told myself I'll stop playing hard stuff and play some easy maps for once to try to get some FCs but I can't even FC easy maps nomod this sucks so much.
Holy hell, where are your standards at?! By taking one look at the map you just did, I've concluded that you really need to stop being so hard on yourself! You've already made a name for yourself - you're at the point where Insane maps don't make you break a sweat. At this point you really need to try to stop demanding improvements from yourself at every corner. Just play the game for the music, ignoring performance altogether, and your lighter mind will eventually bring you the results you've desired. People often forget that this game has tons and tons of great music and that's it's easy to get lost in this sea of it.

Omgfzor wrote:

Oh, and don't go into a song EXPECTING some kind of result, because if you can't deliver these results, then you're going to feel frustrated
This is something really important for you to keep in mind. You're only going to feel like s--- if you demand an S(S) from you every time you play a given map, even if you have pulled it off before. Sometimes we just don't have good days - you just need to live with it.

MillhioreF wrote:

What helped me personally was playing through to the end every single time, no matter how stupid the mistake was (the retry button is the spawn of hate, don't press that thing)
Being a perfectionist will not help. At all. When you're petty with mistakes you just make yourself feel much worse over one mistake and will be a source of much stress.

So don't! Keep playing even after your combo broke, or if playing multi, keep going even after you failed!

RaneFire wrote:

I'd just take a break from the game, re-assess other things life, and come back later with a different outlook on osu!
Placing too much importance on the game, and not other things, can lead to depression.
You will also be surprised to know just how many highly skilled gamers get depressed. It's obsession.
Getting as good as cookiezi will not solve it. Being human nature, you will always desire more, and never be satisfied.

Hard truth, but you will realise that the source of your depression is not the game, it's being concerned about it so much.

As for spectating, I can agree this helps. Supporting one another is something that defines our lives.
But most importantly, reread RaneFire's post, especially what's been bolded. When you feel like a failure for not FCing a song you're putting far too much weight on a single mistake. This ridiculously stringent zero-tolerance approach is one way you may be putting too much importance on this game. As RaneFire said, too much concern over small things in this game is leaving you very frustrated.

Although I only have about 260 plays under my belt (having gone on a bit of an hiatus from this game), I still can't do Insane maps at all. Moreover, I've never scored a single SS. But does that frustrate me? No. Because I play the game for the music and for meeting new people. Hell, I even play with fancy skins because I don't give two bleeps about being thrown off by them. I just want to have a good time, not be a chart-topper or anything. At the saem time, I don't stop anything mid-song; I just keep going and going regardless of performance. Only failing a song is able to stop me (and if I were to use No-Fail, not even that).

EDIT: You should really change your avatar. Crudely making it cartoonishly dead speaks volumes over how much importance you're putting over a single game.
Saint_old

Kanye West wrote:

Saint wrote:

including you
nah i'm a horrible player
YOU'RE the cheater
TocoToucan
According to my experience, there are 2 best ways to become depressed and sad because of this game:
1). thinking about getting better while playing(mood and motivation will drop down even because of little mistakes like random combobreaks);
2). thinking about rank/pp while playing(the same reason as (1) );

I also noticed that I don't get depressed at nights when I playing osu! because I can't sleep, or just want to listen music before going to bed.
Thatgooey

AngelG_No55 wrote:

Aqo wrote:

I actually told myself I'll stop playing hard stuff and play some easy maps for once to try to get some FCs but I can't even FC easy maps nomod this sucks so much.
Holy hell, where are your standards at?! By taking one look at the map you just did, I've concluded that you really need to stop being so hard on yourself! You've already made a name for yourself - you're at the point where Insane maps don't make you break a sweat. At this point you really need to try to stop demanding improvements from yourself at every corner. Just play the game for the music, ignoring performance altogether, and your lighter mind will eventually bring you the results you've desired. People often forget that this game has tons and tons of great music and that's it's easy to get lost in this sea of it.

Omgfzor wrote:

Oh, and don't go into a song EXPECTING some kind of result, because if you can't deliver these results, then you're going to feel frustrated
This is something really important for you to keep in mind. You're only going to feel like s--- if you demand an S(S) from you every time you play a given map, even if you have pulled it off before. Sometimes we just don't have good days - you just need to live with it.

MillhioreF wrote:

What helped me personally was playing through to the end every single time, no matter how stupid the mistake was (the retry button is the spawn of hate, don't press that thing)
Being a perfectionist will not help. At all. When you're petty with mistakes you just make yourself feel much worse over one mistake and will be a source of much stress.

So don't! Keep playing even after your combo broke, or if playing multi, keep going even after you failed!

RaneFire wrote:

But most importantly, reread RaneFire's post, especially what's been bolded. When you feel like a failure for not FCing a song you're putting far too much weight on a single mistake. This ridiculously stringent zero-tolerance approach is one way you may be putting too much importance on this game. As RaneFire said, too much concern over small things in this game is leaving you very frustrated.

Although I only have about 260 plays under my belt (having gone on a bit of an hiatus from this game), I still can't do Insane maps at all. Moreover, I've never scored a single SS. But does that frustrate me? No. Because I play the game for the music and for meeting new people. Hell, I even play with fancy skins because I don't give two bleeps about being thrown off by them. I just want to have a good time, not be a chart-topper or anything. At the saem time, I don't stop anything mid-song; I just keep going and going regardless of performance. Only failing a song is able to stop me (and if I were to use No-Fail, not even that).

EDIT: You should really change your avatar. Crudely making it cartoonishly dead speaks volumes over how much importance you're putting over a single game.
While your post seems optimistic, it isn't for everyone. I am that chart topper. I am that person who instantly retries if I get a miss or a 50. I do obsess over that one little mistake. But I play until I fix it without getting frustrated. I absolutely can't play with the flashy skins or backgrounds or fancy frills that go with it. I almost never keep going if I miss, unless I just want to keep myself familiar with the whole song. But I am a hidden hard rock player. That is what I have to do to be good. I have more plays on single maps in a single sitting than you do period. No offense, but if you only have 262 total plays in your short time here, then I don't think you can give much advice to someone like aqo with 100x as many plays as you. The only advice you can offer is to play the game as if you are brand new to it again and try to re-discover the game again.

For me, I DO demand improvement at every single corner when I play, and I push myself to be better always. That is what I get out of this game. I helps me demand improvement of myself, and I don't let myself be lazy and accept less than what I know I can do. That is what the game provides me with.

Maybe that isn't what Aqo desires, and needs to come to be honest with himself about why he plays. If you do something without purpose, you will be left feeling empty and only left with questions. Some people just want to get on and talk to people, some people want to listen to the music and play along, some people want to play hard songs, some people want to play easy songs, some people only play multiplayer, and others turn on mods and aim high. Every time you click the Osu! icon on your desktop Aqo, ask yourself, "What do I want to do today, and how can I accomplish that?". Even if you don't know, just pick something. Anything. You can say "I want to download some new maps and just play through them", and that's all you have to do. You can say "I want to go start a multi lobby and invite some friends to do team battles" and do that. It's fun, and competitive at the same time. Maybe one day you say "I want to beat this map with hidden mod", and just keep playing it over and over and over robot style until you beat it. Even if you play it 70 times and still can't rank it, it's fine. You set a goal and worked towards it. It gave you a purpose.

That's all it comes down to is asking yourself why you play. Be honest with yourself, and you can't go wrong. If you honestly say to yourself, "I want to be able to FC hidden", then keep playing every day. Work hard and surprise yourself. If you keep at it, one day you will realize that you are capable of more than you thought you were. I am finding that out now finally after a YEAR of playing seriously. A whole fucking year. I literally just came to the realization like yesterday while I was streaming. I finally believe in my ability now. Give it time, and you will be okay. Now go play!l
Wishy

Tanzklaue wrote:

Wishy wrote:

biggest bullshit I have heard in quite a while.

play for fun, don't frustrate you by retrying something over and over again, don't compare yourself too much against better players.
osu! is not a competitive game, Aqo is, from what I know about him, a gamer who is usually serious about highly competitive games, and it is ok to get mad while failing at them, but osu! is not competitive at all, therefore etc.

If you think osu! is competitive then your knowledge about games is less than a joke.
Rokk
Some people still tend to see osu! as a competitive game, though. And in some regards, it's pretty competitive. Think monthly charts, global ranking, map ranking and all that stuff.
Purple

Wishy wrote:

osu! is not a competitive game, Aqo is, from what I know about him, a gamer who is usually serious about highly competitive games, and it is ok to get mad while failing at them, but osu! is not competitive at all, therefore etc.

If you think osu! is competitive then your knowledge about games is less than a joke.
osu! IS competitive. Its just way easier to give up on it than any other game, due to its incredibly high skill ceiling. People would rather call the game "casual" than admit the game is too good for them. Aqo seems like the intelligent sort, so he noticed the uniqueness of osu! as a learning experience, and is taking it very seriously (just like thelewa did).
TamaraMarie
I regularly play osu! to fix my depression (or browse the forums) so when losing makes me feel even worse, I stop, get a snack, and watch some perfect replays of others. Sometimes it works and inspires me to do a bit better when I try again. ^^
Wishy

Purple wrote:

Wishy wrote:

osu! IS competitive. Its just way easier to give up on it than any other game, due to its incredibly high skill ceiling. People would rather call the game "casual" than admit the game is too good for them. Aqo seems like the intelligent sort, so he noticed the uniqueness of osu! as a learning experience, and is taking it very seriously (just like thelewa did).
It's single player, you don't play against anyone and everyone else might aswell quit the game and nothing's gonna change. The "top" level you can reach is extremely high, this applies to pretty much any game tho, and competitive games have people playing pretty much 12hs+ a day and playing against each other all the time, while here the best player by far is Cookiezi, who doesn't even play that much at all since idk 2 years ago. There are almost none (maybe there are none) players who play osu! in an absolute serious manner. There is no competitive scene, and again it is in the end a single player game. You may tell yourself "yeh I'm a super serious player!!!!" yet you are no more than a casual compared to any serious player on any game.

Cookiezi is playing this game casually/for fun and is by far the best, that is only possible on a community where there are no competitive players at all. Even if you like to convince yourself that you ARE seriously competitive, you are not, being a serious competitive player means a lot more than "wanting to be the best".
TakuMii
@the whole "competitive, not casual"/vice-versa thing: anything considered casual can still be played competitively. There's actually a small but dedicated community for competitive Minesweeper, but that doesn't mean the game isn't casual. That goes both ways though. Just because osu! and Minesweeper is (mainly) singleplayer and has relatively simple gameplay, doesn't mean that you can't be serious about it and play competitively.

My advice: Play for the music and not for the circles. If/when you want to play competitive, try to stay optimistic (for example, instead of "I missed, I suck at this game", think "I can do this after a few more tries"), and if you can't do that, perhaps work on your basic skills first (warm up on easier songs and stuff, or playing on HT or NF or whatever floats your boat) before diving into FC'ing the harder maps.
Wishy
If you want osu! to be competitive you gonna have to rework the whole score system, add matchmaking, and probably tweak lot of gameplay-related things.

A game/sport gets competitive when you are actually playing against someone else in real time.
Soly
Tanzklaue

Wishy wrote:

there are competitions in like, everything. osu is really competitive, it even gives you scoreboards to compete with others.

competitive doesn't mean that you play the game versus each other. competitive means that you can compete against what another person did, or against other persons in general. even pure single player games can be competitive (speedruns say hello).
Jagermeiser
I haven't been able to beat some of my 20 day old scores now, and it is indeed depressing not to see a linear improvement. Atm, I'm just playing modified insanes on AR6, which is way more fun than normal maps. Playing the game differently may put you on a new improvement path, making progression much more distinguishable.
Purple

Wishy wrote:

It's single player, you don't play against anyone and everyone else might aswell quit the game and nothing's gonna change. The "top" level you can reach is extremely high, this applies to pretty much any game tho, and competitive games have people playing pretty much 12hs+ a day and playing against each other all the time, while here the best player by far is Cookiezi, who doesn't even play that much at all since idk 2 years ago. There are almost none (maybe there are none) players who play osu! in an absolute serious manner. There is no competitive scene, and again it is in the end a single player game. You may tell yourself "yeh I'm a super serious player!!!!" yet you are no more than a casual compared to any serious player on any game.

Cookiezi is playing this game casually/for fun and is by far the best, that is only possible on a community where there are no competitive players at all. Even if you like to convince yourself that you ARE seriously competitive, you are not, being a serious competitive player means a lot more than "wanting to be the best".
Since when does a game/sport need to be real time for it to be competitive? And since when does a game need a "competitive scene" to be competitive? By "competitive scene" I assume you mean money prizes, media attention and such. Competitive just means work hard to beat others, which is exactly what many high-level players do in this game. Maybe you should watch what kind of language you use. In fact, I'd say the real-time aspects of any videogame makes it less competitive, because it allows luck to come into place. "Oh geez, looks like rrtyui sneezed/lagged! South Korean team wins the championship!!". Sure it'd be nice if osu! could earn you money, but that's never going to happen. Doesn't mean its not competitive though.

The game isn't casual either; a "casual" game is a game directed/marketed for mass appeal. If you think osu! is a "mass appealing" game then, well, once again you need to revise the language you use. If you really think that's not what casual is, then go ahead and give me a definition - I wanna read it.

Cookiezi is an interesting fellow because noone really knows why he's so good, and if the answer is out there then people are just ignoring it. The reason why he is the best is NOT because everyone else sucks, though, or because no one else takes the game seriously. It's funny you mention him because, AFAIK, Cookiezi got into high-level StarCraft2 competition relatively quickly. GEEZ I WONDER HOW/WHY. Obviously, if you build up skills on osu! you build up skills at any other videogame, with some exceptions (i.e. poker-like games). And if you say otherwise, then maybe it is you who needs to educate yourself. It's also funny for you to undervalue the competitive nature of osu! when you yourself bitch about cheaters and flashlight at every opportunity.
JAKACHAN
If you are depressed over a game there is an easy way to stop it.

Quit

If you can't have fun playing a GAME then you should quit. This is why I rarely play for more than 10 minutes anymore because I play until I get bored of it which doesn't take long nowadays.
TakuMii

Purple wrote:

The game isn't casual either; a "casual" game is a game directed/marketed for mass appeal. If you think osu! is a "mass appealing" game then, well, once again you need to revise the language you use. If you really think that's not what casual is, then go ahead and give me a definition - I wanna read it.
IMO games shouldn't be classified as "casual" and "non-casual", since it's really the player who decides whether they're playing a game casually or not. Not the game.
eldnl

JAKACHAN wrote:

If you are depressed over a game there is an easy way to stop it.

Quit

If you can't have fun playing a GAME then you should quit. This is why I rarely play for more than 10 minutes anymore because I play until I get bored of it which doesn't take long nowadays.
so true, what's the point if you are not entertaining?
anyways, I already felt this, that's why I quitted for a while, now I only play songs that I like/enjoy and is quite fun to me ;D
ursa
for me it's

1. Stop playing for a while , & don't think about osu! , also think it just a game or like "there's a game or something that i must do" . it's effective if you really want to stop for a long time (because to think something that you must abandon in osu! like pp , maps or something else can make you frustased & depressed)

2.Watch Anime, or doing something for a while . if you want to leave your depressed feeling for a short time

also always think positive & perv :)
kriers
If you can't improve at the things you've practiced the most in osu!, try improving at an aspect you totally suck at and start over.
The end result of practicing different aspects of this game can take you really far.
NixXSkate
if i'm ever feeling really stuck or mad, i generally just stop what i'm doing and practice until i get sore. like play loituma for 2 hours nonstop (even though i'm still a really mediocre spinner) or practice the stream practice maps nonstop (even though i'm still mediocre at streaming).

when i feel the burn it makes me feel better, because i know that i'm gonna be helping my playing in the future, even if i couldn't do whatever i was previously trying to do.

also if you're having problems with a song, then i would stop playing it for a month (unless it took a lot of memorization of some sort)

PS: i laugh at everyone who thinks this game isn't competitive. what a fucking joke. of course it's competitive if you're trying to keep up with the level of other players.
Cobra
Play a really hard map where you get a lot of misses. Then it won't matter. That's what I do, and it's fun.
Vish024
I can understand being passionate about the game but you shouldn't let it get you down. Don't take it so seriously, just cool off by playing or doing something else. That's what I do when something's bothering me, though I find it difficult to get emotional over a game.
winber1

Aqo wrote:

The latter part actually makes a lot of sense Shiro, it kinda goes against what I've been wanting to do lately but I guess there's no choice.

As for spectators... doesn't work. I learned to be completely indifferent to random specs. Two people came to spec me today and I completely ignored their existence since they didn't write anything :v
i end up failing up more when people spec, idk, i'm not even nervous. koromo is a curse.

kriers wrote:

If you can't improve at the things you've practiced the most in osu!, try improving at an aspect you totally suck at and start over.
The end result of practicing different aspects of this game can take you really far.
also what if the thing you suck at is the reason u are depressed? e.g. i can't fuking do fast counter clock clockwise squares for my life.
kriers
Aqo you come from the land of deserts and tons of sunlight. Just make sure you get enough sunlight during the day and if you're still depressed, go see a doctor.
show more