forum

How to not get depressed while playing?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Aqo
Anybody has good suggestions on how not to get depressed while playing? Since it creates a vicious cycle where you start playing worse because of getting depressed and then you start getting more depressed since you're playing worse

Please don't come up with random theory responses for the sake of posting. If you don't have something from your experience that worked then don't bother replying. If you do know something that worked for you then please share
GoldenWolf
I just stop playing for a few hours, do something else that isn't related to osu!, and when I feel better I go back clicking circles.
Topic Starter
Aqo
I've been trying this for 4 weeks now and the only result is that I get depressed again right away the moment I start playing.

The moment I get 1 miss on any map my motivation drops by a serious blow and my ability to play drops rapidly with it.
boat
Please uninstall.
winber1
step 1 would be to change your avatar to something that's not forcibly dead
Seph
Don't be depressed.
sCam
Depends. Why are you getting depressed?
Think you've reached your limit?
Can't pass that one map you've retried a gazillion times?
You've been spectating pros, and saying to yourself "I'll never be that good"

I've been depressed at some point for each of those reasons, at some point in time. Here's what I do to cheer myself up.

1. If I think I've reached my limit, I just relax, and talk to some of my friends on Osu, and ask them how long it takes them to improve over time, and other random shit I can't remember. Just talking to them just makes me feel better I guess, and makes me strive to keep competeting, because one day I would like to surpass them in skill. but most of my friends are either better than me by miles, or just don't play regularly.

2. Can't really say much about this. I never retry a map more than 5 times a day, unless I know I can fc it easily, but can't atm because making dumb mistakes or prolly drunk. Though, if I can't pass a map, I add it to my "Grindin" collection, and play it like 3 times everyday to get better at it.

3. When I spec pros, It just gives me more motivation to get better, rather than making me depressed. Cuz I know these guys really went ham, and practiced like crazy to reach where they are atnm. That's where respect and discipline comes into play for me. Makes me relax my mind and dworry about failing or the hard times. Just makes me keep fighting.

If you get depressed for other reasons, try playing another game, or doing something else. Osu is just a game. There's should be no reason for you to get depressed because Osu is fun, and you should be having a good time with it.

Sorry Aqo, that's all I can say for now...
Topic Starter
Aqo
Thanks for the suggestions. The most helpful one was actually asking me why I get depressed.
I guess... I can't meet my own expectations. And on top of that, there is not a linear improvement, i.e. I play some stuff worse now that I did some months ago. This is immensely frustrating and depressing.

Watching others and see them do better doesn't help. Nor does running away or taking breaks since then I just feel like I failed.
MillhioreF
I fought major depression and anger while playing Chocobo. What helped me personally was playing through to the end every single time, no matter how stupid the mistake was (the retry button is the spawn of hate, don't press that thing) and just breathing deeply during breaks, muttering to myself "It's okay, it's just one try, victory will come eventually."
Topic Starter
Aqo

MillhioreF wrote:

the retry button is the spawn of hate, don't press that thing
Great advice, thanks. Gonna focus on that
Antero
go back in time and have a better childhood
Shiro
Holy fuck I thought I was the only one. Thank you Aqo, really.

As for your problem, the solution that I've found is to request someone to spectate you. I find it pretty motivating, and the idea that someone actually sat watching you play is comforting and kind of makes you forget that you didn't do as well as you hoped to.

Another thing I've found to work is to play things you know you can't do. If you fail, well, you can't do them anyway. But if you pass or have a decent score you'll be pleasantly surprised and that will take away the frustration. When I play only things I know I can do, I end up way too depressed and frustrated for not always missing - and that makes me miss more.
Topic Starter
Aqo
The latter part actually makes a lot of sense Shiro, it kinda goes against what I've been wanting to do lately but I guess there's no choice.

As for spectators... doesn't work. I learned to be completely indifferent to random specs. Two people came to spec me today and I completely ignored their existence since they didn't write anything :v
Saint_old
REMEMBER: everyone who is better than you cheats
MMzz
Stop playing? If it is effecting your health its not worth it. Same thing could be said about getting angry at games in general. Its all unnessecary stress.
Cyclohexane
learn to have fun
Kyujuroku 96
Just play for fun not for compete. If you suck , try a different mode. Also don't take this game too seriously. Its just a game after all
RaneFire
You don't fight depression by doing something that makes you depressed.
I'd just take a break from the game, re-assess other things life, and come back later with a different outlook on osu!
Placing too much importance on the game, and not other things, can lead to depression.
You will also be surprised to know just how many highly skilled gamers get depressed. It's obsession.
Getting as good as cookiezi will not solve it. Being human nature, you will always desire more, and never be satisfied.

Hard truth, but you will realise that the source of your depression is not the game, it's being concerned about it so much.

As for spectating, I can agree this helps. Supporting one another is something that defines our lives.
Purple
It took Niko 2 years to not 1xmiss or 1xsliderbreak Chipscape. Don't give up!

Also do something you can actually do. I.E. Not homework crisis HR
Topic Starter
Aqo
But chipscape is hard as fuck man

I actually told myself I'll stop playing hard stuff and play some easy maps for once to try to get some FCs but I can't even FC easy maps nomod this sucks so much. I don't want to wait 2 years...

All of the "take a break" suggestions are not helping guys. I already tried this. I'm back from a week break right now (for osu!standard that is) and just more depressed than ever.

Gonna try a mix between what Millhiore and what Shiro said, even that they're kinda opposites. This game is really... frustrating. :(
Kanye West

Saint wrote:

including you
cheesiest

Kanye West wrote:

Saint wrote:

including you
SHOTS FIRED

map instead of play :-)
Omgforz
Confirming the spectator experience.

to not get frustrated I usually play hard stuff (as in not comfortable with) to improve, but if I feel some kind of frustration or anger I immediately switch to songs I'm comfortable with.
I'm doing this because I found out, only playing songs you're comfortable with decreases your concentration after time, which creates random misses. Try to look at every note to actually "register" it being there. If you don't want to, then you're not concentrated/motivated enough.

Oh, and don't go into a song EXPECTING some kind of result, because if you can't deliver these results, then you're going to feel frustrated.

but that's just my 2 cents as a mediocre player
D33d
Play a variety of maps and also focus on familiar maps, so that you can hone your accuracy. I suppose. If you're not where you think you should be, then keep playing in moderation until your skill increases naturally. As far as I know, you're at a "pro" level now, so it should be a case of building on what you can do, without straining yourself.

If you hit a brick wall after a while of playing, then play slightly easier maps with mods until you can be 100% consistent.

As for taking a break, find something that will keep you compelled outside of the game and then balance the two activities. I've managed to keep myself away from the game by focusing on uni work and other musical endeavours, so I suggest finding a creative outlet that doesn't involve beatmaps.
usa
why so serious?
once you stop giving two sheeps about the game, the grass becomes greener.
Wishy
osu! is not competitive therefore you shouldn't get mad about it.
show more