forum

is it a bad idea to keep resetting when you get a miss early?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Pman23
i keep resetting the map when i get reset early as i dont want to get bad accuracys, but all the beginner tutorial says that "reset spamming" is a bad idea which im wondering if i should stop doing it.
AURELIJUS
If you didn't achieve what you wanted to achieve after the 5th retry just give up and play another map. Then come back to it.
c1rrus
Do not retry spam. It only hurts your consistency.

Take scores as they come and go. If you miss, continue playing and move on. Just play maps one at a time.
DeletedUser_5153421

c1rrus wrote:

Take scores as they come and go. If you miss, continue playing and move on. Just play maps one at a time.
what do you have against farmers
MrSparklepants
In my personal opinion, it's bad, because if you play the entire map you get to see everything the map has to offer and if you decide to play again you'll probably be more consistent. Almost everyone of my top plays have just been random besides a couple with little or no resetting. And personally I hate retrying maps multiple times unless I'm trying to go for a flashlight score.
ainkeK
If you miss in the first 5 seconds or less and YOU KNOW it was because of a shitmiss or a mistap or a misaim or something like that then it is fine to retry but if it is after 5 seconds, play through the map, and for some songs you will know that the beginning is either just hard or too difficult for you and if you miss then either keep playing or move onto a different map within your skill level.
necrotrash
retry spamming is always bad, it's not fun and hurts your consistency. Maybe if you miss on a very ridiculous thing and just want to try again, sure give it 3, 4 tries but i would advise to not go beyond that.
Artanime
I have a question: Does the total score, which grows when you finish a map, affect your rank in any way? Cause if that's true, then I would try to finish a map rather good than just ruining my scores
rematyar

Artanime wrote:

I have a question: Does the total score, which grows when you finish a map, affect your rank in any way? Cause if that's true, then I would try to finish a map rather good than just ruining my scores
"In your rank" as in your pp? or S rank, A rank, etc?

Well, for both yes. You'll get less pp and get A rank even if you miss on the first note and SS the whole map.
necrotrash

Artanime wrote:

it doesn't affect your rank, but it makes you improve faster soooo uh
Shuger_Hiii
I see people saying that you shouldn't retry spam because it hurts your consistency, but will it affect your score or the amount of pp you get if you finish the map after retrying a bunch?
HaonJ

Shuger_Hiii wrote:

I see people saying that you shouldn't retry spam because it hurts your consistency, but will it affect your score or the amount of pp you get if you finish the map after retrying a bunch?
no it doesnt effect score or pp
MilkyIQ
Retry spamming is not something that's particularly good for both your morale or your consistency (you're just building up useless muscle memory so you'll end up continuing to fail at that one spot). Play however you want to play, but it's usually best to just continue playing the map whether or not you miss.

However, I will say, if you're the type who cares about keeping their rank and top scores pristine and clean, a good workaround is to play through the map and then retry before hitting the last note if you don't FC.
-Polyrem-
retry spamming is not as bad as people take it to be
Pikku Masa
The ONLY time when you should retry a map at the beginning if you're going for a score. Which means you would rarely do it anyway, since playing only for scores is so soulles, at least imo haha
And besides, if you're not getting anywhere after a few retries, why bother?

c1rrus wrote:

Now, I really agree with the last part, that is what I do after all, but there is literally no evidence of retry spamming "hurting" consistency.
Besides, I could open a whole another can of worms that I don't even think consistency is a skill, consistency is just you being good enough at something so you get a better performance on it more easily, obviously.

ainkeK wrote:

If you miss in the first 5 seconds or less and YOU KNOW it was because of a shitmiss or a mistap or a misaim or something like that then it is fine to retry but if it is after 5 seconds, play through the map, and for some songs you will know that the beginning is either just hard or too difficult for you and if you miss then either keep playing or move onto a different map within your skill level.
On the principle I agree, but it is useless to try and give it some arbitrary time in which you still "could" retry a map, since all maps are different.

Artanime wrote:

Only your top plays affect your rank, ie PP

Shuger_Hiii wrote:

Never, your top play is always a single score/play, it doesn't take into account anything else
Voidedosu
I think it depends on who you are and where you are as far as playing Osu. If you're new, I would highly recommend against it unless it's a really, REALLY stupid miss or mistake (or something like your cursor sliding halfway across the screen when you only meant to move it, like, 2 circle-lengths). It kinda gets in the way of you playing more to work on your fundamentals and just enjoy the game.

After that, I would still say it's not a great idea anyways. If your misses/100s/50s are sporadic enough that you aren't going to fall into reflexively restarting at one particular spot and accidentally screw up a run where you did succeed, then you're probably fine. Or if you're consistent enough at the song in general that you feel comfortable enough to restart at any point. And if you're going for stuff like SS ranks, you are largely better off trying a small number of times (I'd argue no more than 20), taking a break from the song, and then trying again later. If you have the patience/tolerance/stubbornness, though, by all means do so, but taking some kind of break is still advisable.