forum

First Map Updated

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Batticus
Hi All,

A couple weeks ago I updated my map to include a Hard difficulty. I'm new to all this mapping stuff, and don't quite know what I'm doing. The original thread is locked, don't know if that's just how it goes, or if I took too long.

With regards to mods. I know a lot of them don't do first maps, but I posted it in 2 mod posts. Is one supposed to find as many mods as possible? I have no idea.

Anyway, I thought I'd post it here again (there's an old post that I edited somewhere here, sorry) to see if I can get some feedback. Mostly on the Hard diff. It is a first map, but I'm somewhat glad with how it turned out.

beatmapsets/1393654#osu/2966301

Snap! Just saw the "Please edit your last post..." alert now. Did I fuck up?!
lewski

Batticus wrote:

Is one supposed to find as many mods as possible?
Nope. A far better way to improve is to get a bit of general feedback and apply that in your next map, and honestly, when you're just starting out, you don't even need feedback. You'll improve a lot just by getting used to the editor and trying to make something that resembles the stuff you see while playing the game.

Finding and applying a lot of mods just gets you stuck on one map, especially since most people aren't exactly stellar at modding; they're unlikely to tell you anything very substantial. Worst case scenario, you'll get misleading or even straight up bad advice that does more harm than good in the long run.

I'd suggest just mapping different songs and figuring things out on your own for a while. Play your maps and try to figure out how you could make them more enjoyable for yourself to play, but don't let yourself get stuck on one map for too long. Moving on is more productive.

Batticus wrote:

Snap! Just saw the "Please edit your last post..." alert now. Did I fuck up?!
Nah, you're fine. That just pops up when the last post in the thread is yours, since if you have anything to add to a post of yours, it's better to just edit it in instead of having two consecutive posts by the same person.

As a side note, even when you start ranking maps, you still don't usually get a lot of mods. Most maps that get ranked are at least somewhat decent from the start, so there's no need to get more than a handful of mods to polish the map a bit.
Topic Starter
Batticus
Hey there,

Thank you so much. That was a really insightful reply, I do appreciate it. I did take a bit of while on that map, but as a first map, I'd expect it'd take longer subsequent maps.

lewski wrote:

make them more enjoyable for yourself to play
Ah, I see, I sort of thought of that, but got caught up in the whole "will people like it" mentality. With most things, it's usually better to make it fun for yourself, and there will surely be others who feel the same.

lewski wrote:

You'll improve a lot just by getting used to the editor and trying to make something that resembles the stuff you see while playing the game.
Yeah, I actually noticed that a lot when mapping the different difficulties. By the time I got to Hard, my "style" of mapping was already evolving. Even during the process of mapping Hard, there were many things that just started "clicking."

lewski wrote:

Finding and applying a lot of mods just gets you stuck on one map, especially since most people aren't exactly stellar at modding; they're unlikely to tell you anything very substantial
Wow, I didn't expect to hear that. I thought modders were the "cream of the crop," although, when thinking about, I suppose anyone can decide to become a mod....I think.

lewski wrote:

don't let yourself get stuck on one map for too long. Moving on is more productive.
I think that's gonna be one of my main rules, so to speak. It can also make one quite despondent toward mapping after spending too long on one map. More so if you're expecting some grand outcome 😅

Again, thank you very much 🙏 That's some sound advice. I'll keep on keeping on! 💪