forum

Single Difficulty Mapsets and Spread Removal

posted
Total Posts
show more
Makar
Before I give my feedback on this issue, it would be really nice if the OP was completely edited to cover it's current state in the discussion (which seems to be adjusting approval criteria to max score, note density, 5 min length, etc.).

I have read over this thread but I feel like I don't understand completely what has changed in the discussion due to reasons only one person here understands
Aqo

whymeman wrote:

Thinking about it now, if his rule does become set, then I would at least expect up to 10 or so versions of the same song mapped and ranked every month with 1 difficulty each.
Don't know how you got that impression, this is very unlikely.

If 1-diff-mapsets were allowed to get ranked, this is the kind of maps you'd expect to see run for ranking:

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/193593
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/196957
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/181531
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/167386
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/177456
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/162831
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/162405
TheVileOne
It's really not that hard to get guest difficulties, and guest difficulties don't really take that much time to complete if you compare to the time it takes to make the difficulty yourself. Approval will not be here in the future, and we should not be adjusting the rules to change how maps are approved, especially since the new ranking system doesn't specify how approval maps are ranked. We can only assume that it either wont exist/ in the process of being restructured in the near future.

A lot of people think that it is difficult, but the only difficulty is asking people to make one. And the time it takes to make is irrelevant, because mappers shouldn't be trying to cut as many difficulties as they can get away with just to get their map ranked faster. A map should take however long it needs to take to meet quality standards. I don't believe that people are spending their time efficiently by spending more than 30 hours on gameplay elements of a single difficulty.

Storyboarding, hitsounding, and skinning can take lots of time, but once they are completed, then that time spent does not apply to the effort and time required to make the other difficulties. It's also not fair that so much time and effort is being spent targeting one audience of players that share the same skillsets as the mapper. How can we say the mapper is not being selfish by refusing to learn how to perfect all tiers of difficulty design, and instead focusing primarily on his own preferences? Selfish tendencies shouldn't be praised with a rank, regardless if it is a quality playing experience.

When a map is ranked, it is intended to be a contribution towards the community. A single difficulty cannot represent all levels of the community and that is why maps were approved. They were hidden from the rest of the community because the administrators did not want maps that did not meet standards to get full recognition by the public.

Why should we allow the mapsets with the most effort put into them only reflect a certain part of the community? It would only continue to support the degradation of the osu! community. It only promotes people to continue to vote for single difficulty maps as best maps of the year instead of more balanced examples. I disagree that mappers are forced to make lower quality difficulties in their sets, they choose to make lower quality difficulties and careless modders let these maps get ranked. It is going to be an even bigger problem when the new ranking system comes into play. Instead of standing up for high standards for everyone, people will act selfishly as always and press the maps through because the Insane is fun to play. I think it would be incredibly damaging to now officially admit that we do not care as a community about the non-Insane tier of players, and that maps are judged and rated solely on how good the hardest difficulty is.

Is that the kind of culture we should be supporting? Consider this.
whymeman

Aqo wrote:

whymeman wrote:

Thinking about it now, if his rule does become set, then I would at least expect up to 10 or so versions of the same song mapped and ranked every month with 1 difficulty each.
Don't know how you got that impression, this is very unlikely.
You're not thinking wide enough. There has been cases where even up to 4 sets of maps from the same song was ranked. Plus, this would allow mostly "Hard-Only" sets as I've already said from before. The whole "how often do you hear/see this" thing can be an invalid excuse to ignore the problem since it's not just in beatmaps you would see it, but also in the chat and forums. Not everyone has to say "I wish I can play this map, but it's only made too hard" to actually pay attention to the problem.

Honestly, I don't like one-sided discussions that only seek out the "gains" without looking at the "losses". As far as I see this idea of the rule, there's going to be some major losses even if we don't feel they are going to be. Especially since they are not fully thought out long-term.
D33d

Aqo wrote:

also, when I was a complete beginner, seeing approved maps for songs that I liked motivated me to play more and try to improve. It had its own charm, those maps felt like a boss that I need to work towards. Surely there's more people that feel like that.
Surely, it makes more sense to think of the whole mapset as the final boss, with its final form being the hardest map. At the very least, players should be able to familiarise themselves with the entire song, while being able to actually interact with it. I remember Sandpig's set of 'Nuclear Fusion' being very challenging to me throughout, so I was able to enjoy the whole song and build up my skill gradually. It felt much better that I was able to work my way through its harder maps, as I was allowed to build up my ability to react to an increasingly dense representation of the same rhythms.
Aqo

whymeman wrote:

Honestly, I don't like one-sided discussions that only seek out the "gains" without looking at the "losses". As far as I see this idea of the rule, there's going to be some major losses even if we don't feel they are going to be. Especially since they are not fully thought out long-term.
I don't see a single loss here.

Let me be blunt, I find the whole "noobs won't be able to enjoy song X if it doesn't have lowdiffs" argument incredibly stupid since the alternative is that it won't get ranked at all and then /they still don't get to enjoy song X/.
The fact that freedom dive and mythologia got rated so high in best of 2012 voting only shows that even beginner players enjoy playing maps that are hard for them with NoFail and having a lack of lowdiffs does not stop them from enjoying it. I'm pretty sure more than 90% of the voters who voted for freedom dive voted for the [FOUR DIMENSIONS] difficulty and not for the [Another] difficulty, when at the same time less than half of that group of voters can even pass Another.

I also know quite a few beginners who, if you'd look at their profile, you'll only see their plays on [Normal] diffs with HD/HR, but when I talk to them and spec them they actually spend a lot of time of NFing high diffs and have fun doing so.
Not every single song needs a lowdiff. Lowdiffs were necessary in the beginning of the road for osu when there was literally nothing to play on, but today there are over 20 thousand ranked lowdiffs. There is nobody that would get to play even a quarter of those before already being able to play the much higher diffs.

Can't enjoy Just Awake right now because it's too hard for you? No problem, be patient, in a month you'll be able to play it if you keep on playing. I haven't seen any single beginner cry about that song having no lowdiffs, instead they just NF the approved diff and they still like it (often much more than the lowdiffs that they can play better).

-

As for the "many maps will be ranked with only one high diff for the same song", I don't see how is this a problem?
I rather see 5 different ranked maps with a single high-diff for Houkago Stride that is well thought-out and has a solid design with a different mapper style per one, instead of multiple TV size "full spreads" where each one is the exact same generic map that plays the same
those

Aqo wrote:

Not every single song needs a lowdiff.
I absolutely love answering this argument statement with "Not every single map needs to be ranked"
Aqo

those wrote:

I absolutely love answering this argument statement with "Not every single map needs to be ranked"
I gave my reason for why maps don't need lowdiffs, what's your reason?

Ranking a map gives it a scoreboard and creates competition on it. For people who like the map, this is HUGE and plays a giant role in the map's existence. It makes people play the map a lot more, advances the playerbase forward, and leads to faster progress of the entire metagame. This game should encourage mappers to make great maps for ranking, not discourage them from trying to rank good maps. When graveyard is the current equivalent for a favorites tab, the ranking system is heavily flawed.

Ranking a map also encourages the mapper to map more. It brings his map out to the general audience and this is what mappers map for. There is nothing that pains me more than knowing mappers who make great maps and don't even bother submitting them on bancho because they know they don't have the time to rank them due to RL and the unsupportive ranking process.
Mismagius

those wrote:

Aqo wrote:

Which is stupid as it is. Why not all songs have the right to be ranked? Just because "not all players can play it"? This isn't so intelligent.
those

Blue Dragon wrote:

Why not all songs have the right to be ranked? Just because "not all players can play it"? This isn't so intelligent.
Just like how all songs have the right to have a low diff. Sound similar?

While one idea can satisfy the group of players only above a group of skill, the other idea satisfies the group of players that play this game, regardless of skill. I rarely enter these discussions from the mindset of the player only, otherwise I'd agree with this entirely.
Aqo

those wrote:

Blue Dragon wrote:

Why not all songs have the right to be ranked? Just because "not all players can play it"? This isn't so intelligent.
Just like how all songs have the right to have a low diff. Sound similar?
those you're trolling. stop.

Face it, nobody wants to mod a full spread for a 4 minute song over 200bpm. Adding lowdiffs to a map like that is just as good at preventing it from getting ranked as not mapping them, with the only exception being if you're a person that has many BAT friends.

It would make far more sense if maps were rankable based on total object count and effort spent on the map, and actual map QUALITY, instead of quantity of (half-assed) diffs.

And let me say this again, the assumption that players who can't play the top diff of a map are unsatisfied by the ranking of that map is simply wrong. You're wrong, lol. Look at freedom dive's position on 2012 voting. You're just WRONG about this. Beginner players don't hate one-diff-crazy maps, they love them.
Natsu

those wrote:

Aqo wrote:

i agree with this what is the point of make a map if you dont have the time to make the others diffs actually just 15 k down play insanes what about the other rest of players maybe 80 or 90% cant enjoy the sound cuz the mapper is to lazy for make a fullspread mapset, also Aqo say a thousand of easy map ranked that is true but what beginner see when they start in osu? they see this page https://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmaplist lol they dont know how to search maps... then i guess with this rule people who start playing osu cant find maps to play orz if you wanna make a good nice diff since you can and ask some other who love the song to make an awesome GD imo all the mapset should have atleast a normal diff.
those

Aqo wrote:

nobody wants to mod a full spread for a 4 minute song over 200bpm
I don't see why you see that being the players' fault or the mapper's fault. Try again.
Aqo

those wrote:

Aqo wrote:

nobody wants to mod a full spread for a 4 minute song over 200bpm
I don't see why you see that being the players' fault or the mapper's fault. Try again.
It's the ranking system's fault.
those
The argument is not "nobody wants to mod [...]", the argument you've presented is "the community doesn't want 'a full spread for a 4 minute song over 200bpm' ranked".

Aqo wrote:

It's the ranking system's fault.
Hm. Why is the ranking system at fault for requiring mods on maps regardless of length?

thanks for the popcorn Ekaru
Ekaru
*grabs popcorn* This is a very entertaining thread. Do keep it up, guys. :)

EDIT: No, really, it's like you guys are arguing in a circle. TBH any debate over how hard it is to get things ranked should be saved until *after* the ranking system overhaul.
Makar

Blue Dragon wrote:

those wrote:

Which is stupid as it is. Why not all songs have the right to be ranked? Just because "not all players can play it"? This isn't so intelligent.

Aqo wrote:

those wrote:

I gave my reason for why maps don't need lowdiffs, what's your reason?

Ranking a map gives it a scoreboard and creates competition on it. For people who like the map, this is HUGE and plays a giant role in the map's existence. It makes people play the map a lot more, advances the playerbase forward, and leads to faster progress of the entire metagame. This game should encourage mappers to make great maps for ranking, not discourage them from trying to rank good maps. When graveyard is the current equivalent for a favorites tab, the ranking system is heavily flawed.
Then put the effort into getting it ranked if it's that important to you, instead of lowering the requirements for ranking. In response to Aqo allowing these to be ranked: You are not thinking enough about -all- consequences of this change. Do you really think nobody is going to abuse this system and rank maps that normally would be easy to rank as a mapset? Every map for ranking needs a lower difficulty, as one of the purposes of having a -ranked- map is to provide a beatmap listing of generally decent quality maps for all players to -be able- to play, including new ones. If you don't like this idea, then don't try to rank maps; it's not the end of the world if you can't get this "fame" of having one of your maps in the beatmap listing page.

If you really want to get more single difficulty mapsets with a scoreboard, Aqo, then I suggest supporting the approval idea discussed in this thread already (lower to 5min drain, max score, note density, etc).

The idea that "if mappers are only required to make one difficulty, then they will put more focus and effort on that difficulty, and it will be better quallity that a full mapset" might seem right in theory, but is completely invalid in practice. Today, a large portion of maps get ranked with an insane by the creator and guest easy/normal/hard. This is the same thing as having a single difficulty map, since you only have one map to focus on. The only extra time is for the creator to ask a few people for guest difficulties, which leads to the idea that supporters of having 1-diff sets in -ranked- category are just wanting to not be required to ask people to guest for them.

If you want higher quality maps to be ranked, then raise the standard requirements for ranking rather than lowering them. This is truly not a step forward or backward, but a large step in simply wrong direction. If this were to be put in place (even if they are all allowed to be in just approval category) then with these "higher quallity 1-diff sets" that you expect, there will be a even larger increase in "decent" or "semi-good" sets unless the standards themselves also increase, because yes, there are many lazy mappers on this game. Raising the number of staff required won't change anything either, I think.

Aqo wrote:

Face it, nobody wants to mod a full spread for a 4 minute song over 200bpm.
Sounds like we need more modders that are not lazy. I certainly have no problem with it.

Aqo wrote:

Adding lowdiffs to a map like that is just as good at preventing it from getting ranked as not mapping them, with the only exception being if you're a person that has many BAT friends.
Seems to me like you are saying it's pointless to map something that can't get ranked. Oh dear, that's a problem.

tl;dr change approval criteria to be lower (but not free-for-all) like many people here are suggesting; not the ranking criteria.
Also, I suggest looking at TVO's posts rather than ignoring them just because they are long or because he is TVO.

PLEASE FIX THE OP - seriously
Aqo

Makar wrote:

If you want higher quality maps to be ranked, then raise the standard requirements for ranking rather than lowering them.
I suggested this in another thread for this discussion already.

Why is [NM][HD] rankable right now? Why can't the mapper wait for a guest difficulty to add an [Insane] at least? (And the suggestion that some songs cannot have a fun insane done to is just about as ridiculous as suggesting that a 360bpm Renard song needs lowdiffs) I'd be fine with the current state of the rules if they worked both ways.
Makar

Aqo wrote:

Why is [NM][HD] rankable right now? Why can't the mapper wait for a guest difficulty to add an [Insane] at least? (And the suggestion that some songs cannot have a fun insane done to is just about as ridiculous as suggesting that a 360bpm Renard song needs lowdiffs). I'd be fine with the current state of the rules if they worked both ways.
If this were enforced, then E/N/H/I would be required for ranking (since E -> H and N -> I). Also, it's because extreme over mapping to make a insane for a low bpm song is not okay but undermapping a high BPM song is (if it wasnt then there would be no easy maps for any song really).

If you want to further support/discuss this, make a new thread please.
Stefan

Makar wrote:

Aqo wrote:

Why is [NM][HD] rankable right now? Why can't the mapper wait for a guest difficulty to add an [Insane] at least? (And the suggestion that some songs cannot have a fun insane done to is just about as ridiculous as suggesting that a 360bpm Renard song needs lowdiffs). I'd be fine with the current state of the rules if they worked both ways.
If this were enforced, then E/N/H/I would be required for ranking (since E -> H and N -> I). Also, it's because extreme over mapping to make a insane for a low bpm song is not okay but undermapping a high BPM song is (if it wasnt then there would be no easy maps for any song really). If you want to further support this, make a new thread please.
It actually exist but eh.. I am just saying what I've said before: It's the mapper's decision and not the from the criterias or from the criteria maker how much and what does he maps. Please respect that.
Makar

Stefan wrote:

I am just saying what I've said before: It's the mapper's decision and not the from the criterias or from the criteria maker how much and what does he maps. Please respect that.
Exactly. But whether or not it can get to ranking is the criteria's decision.

Please move further discussion to a new thread.
Aqo

Makar wrote:

Aqo wrote:

If this were enforced, then E/N/H/I would be required for ranking (since E -> H and N -> I). Also, it's because extreme over mapping to make a insane for a low bpm song is not okay but undermapping a high BPM song is (if it wasnt then there would be no easy maps for any song really).

If you want to further support/discuss this, make a new thread please.
Except, I don't actually want [Insane]s for 80bpm songs. I just want the ranking process to have some logic and be fair to all mappers.
No matter how much you say that modders should be less lazy, modders are human, and nobody is getting paid for modding, this is a hobby you do on the side. When one mapset is required to have more than 3x the amount of objects compared to another one, it's not surprising that it takes much more than this much effort to rank it.

In the past, a bunch of one-diff maps got approved. They were not necessarily even hard maps. You have stuff like the Leia collab, dragons, cruel clocks, nature of dying, chain destruction, and so on. This was FINE. It did not stop mappers from making lowdiffs in general, and at the same time it allowed mappers who put extra effort into designing a really nice standalone map to bring it to the public. This system was fine. When it got changed, you began to see much less of those maps, and now they tend to rot in the graveyard instead of seeing the light of day.

All of the arguments anybody has brought here for "one diff mapsets causing any sort of loss" are invalid and were already proven to be wrong in the past. One diff mapsets only add to the map pool, and, as a whole, regardless of whether they're complete beginners or long-time players - players love those maps.

Chain destruction, for example, is a very popular song, and to this day I have not seen a beginner player complain upon seeing Shiirn's map that it doesn't have lowdiffs. They like the map as it is regardless of their player level.

If you stop looking at theory for a second and look at what happens in practice, those one-diff-mapsets make everybody happy; both players and mappers. There is only gain to be had in having them.
those
That image whymeman linked before. If it can happen to one song, it can happen to another. We're not trying to count the number of these people; we are trying to prevent this case from happening to any amount of people.

https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/742143
Mismagius

Aqo wrote:

Except, I don't actually want [Insane]s for 80bpm songs. I just want the ranking process to have some logic and be fair to all mappers.
No matter how much you say that modders should be less lazy, modders are human, and nobody is getting paid for modding, this is a hobby you do on the side. When one mapset is required to have more than 3x the amount of objects compared to another one, it's not surprising that it takes much more than this much effort to rank it.

In the past, a bunch of one-diff maps got approved. They were not necessarily even hard maps. You have stuff like the Leia collab, dragons, cruel clocks, nature of dying, chain destruction, and so on. This was FINE. It did not stop mappers from making lowdiffs in general, and at the same time it allowed mappers who put extra effort into designing a really nice standalone map to bring it to the public. This system was fine. When it got changed, you began to see much less of those maps, and now they tend to rot in the graveyard instead of seeing the light of day.

All of the arguments anybody has brought here for "one diff mapsets causing any sort of loss" are invalid and were already proven to be wrong in the past. One diff mapsets only add to the map pool, and, as a whole, regardless of whether they're complete beginners or long-time players - players love those maps.

Chain destruction, for example, is a very popular song, and to this day I have not seen a beginner player complain upon seeing Shiirn's map that it doesn't have lowdiffs. They like the map as it is regardless of their player level.

If you stop looking at theory for a second and look at what happens in practice, those one-diff-mapsets make everybody happy; both players and mappers. There is only gain to be had in having them.
This post says everything.
I completely agree with you here
Makar

Aqo wrote:

You are forgetting that there was a limit on those maps too, and a reasonable one at that. So your example proves nothing "in practice"

Again, mapping can still be a hobby even if you can't rank your map. How many times do we have to say ranking isn't a requirement for you to do what you enjoy? Ranking requires a little more effort. Doing this is completely up to you.
Mismagius

Makar wrote:

Again, mapping can still be a hobby even if you can't rank your map. How many times do we have to say ranking isn't a requirement for you to do what you enjoy? Ranking requires a little more effort. Doing this is completely up to you.
Because sometimes we want people to enjoy our maps, and absolutely no one plays graveyarded maps. You can name about 10 people at most, and that's hardly 0,00001% of the community.
Makar

Blue Dragon wrote:

Makar wrote:

Because sometimes we want people to enjoy our maps, and absolutely no one plays graveyarded maps. You can name about 10 people at most, and that's hardly 0,00001% of the community.
Then put the effort to do so

Makar wrote:

Ranking requires a little more effort. Doing this is completely up to you.
There is nothing that -prevents- you from getting your map ranked, it is only yourself and how much work you are willing to put into it.
[CSGA]Ar3sgice

Blue Dragon wrote:

this is not true, many people play graveyard maps, just you can't see the playcount

big money is graveyard map too

------------------------

so, as for both encouraging all diff mapsets and let the "good single diff maps" get rank

what about removing the diff limit, and lower the ranking standards (?) for 4diff long maps so "can't find modders" is less a problem

Mithos
A good 1/4th of my library is graveyarded/pending maps (not counting taiko originals). I play maps regardless of their ranked status. If it's a good map that is fun and enjoyable to play, I'll play it and recommend it as a "must download song".

Single Difficulty mapsets shouldn't be allowed to be RANKED simply because there will be less reason to complete a mapset, and MUCH more lazy maps will get ranked. The only reason non-marathon/uberridulous maps don't get ranked is because the mapper doesn't want to go through the modding process. It takes a while to get through it, and editing multiple difficulties is harder than one, but it really isn't impossible. It really bothers me that you are asking for this, simply because of how many lazy one-diff TV sizes will get pushed through.

The counter-argument I could see coming from that statement would be "why not raise the standards for 1-diff mapsets?" My response to that would simply be "why do we not expand approved to include the 1-difficulty works of art that plague the graveyard?" I agree with the need to give these maps a good, recognized home, but it shouldn't open the floodgates to 27 more Lisa - Crossing Fields (TV Size) [Insane]'s.
kisata
outside of big money, some caren_sk maps, and a couple others, the visibility of graveyarded maps is zero; practically nobody plays them

lowering standards is only going to make things worse in terms of map quality, while allowing these sorts of maps for approval would arguably improve it instead

Can't honestly see this hurting anyone.
Makar

apaffy wrote:

outside of big money, some caren_sk maps, and a couple others, the visibility of graveyarded maps is zero; practically nobody plays them

lowering standards is only going to make things worse in terms of map quality, while allowing these sorts of maps for approval would arguably improve it instead

Can't honestly see this hurting anyone.
The graveyarded maps that deserve their popularity already have it, and will continue to have it as new maps come. I don't get it..? And you contradicted yourself in that second line. The third line tells me you might not of read some of the responses here.

A good way to look at this is to look at the taiko community. There are TONS are unsubmitted or graveyarded taiko maps that are not ranked since they are only 1-difficulty (and the lack of taiko modders), yet they are all widely known. They are on their userpages, their own threads, always played in multi rooms, etc. In fact, graveyarded taiko maps are probably played more by the upper-tier players than ranked ones, just because they are fun to play for them and they don't mind not having a scoreboard.
Shohei Ohtani
HEY I HAVEN'T READ THE THREAD

LET'S COMMENT ON IT.

Anyways like as much as I'd LOVE to say "Yeah go ahead let's do it!", since I'm the king of single-diff mapsets, you have to realize that songs must be accessable to everyone.

Idunno, I think it'd be a bit unfair if someone found a song they really liked get ranked and ended up not being able to play it because it only has 1 diff.

Plus, honestly, who would make an easy diff is it wasn't required by the game to do so? Like, nobody did it for Taiko, because it was pointless, when you could edkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkddkdkkddk all the time instead of having to tone it down. If rules are removed, practically nobody will make easies.

However, I do agree that single diff mapsets should be allowed back into Approved. I have my official two best maps (Both collabs) in approved, and I get to trade off less playcount and a more intense ranking system to being able to rank a single diff mapset.

Idunno, when I see this game, I see mappers as developers. Wouldn't it suck if developers were like "Hey, we got lazy, so let's just only make content for one group of people, sorry newbies, lool xdd." I also always saw that people mapped to get their favorite song out to the community. I started off mapping because I really liked the Fresh Prince of Bel Air, and wanted to share it with the community. That didn't work out, but I eventually got my first map ranked, I.M. Crazy. People loved it. Some people even joined the game to play it. And they played it on easy mode, because that's what was accessable to them. And they loved it. Because it was accessable to them. They could work harder to hit the higher diffs, sure, but for that moment, they were able to enjoy content at a level that they could handle.

I find it silly to extend the single diff mapspread over to the ranked section, quite honestly, especially for the reason of "Oh, nobody wants to mod it / map it!" This is a game, a fairly large game at that, and as developers of content, mappers need to look at appealing to EVERYONE. Approved is a different story since it is told that it is for harder maps / special maps, and it is harder to get things approved for there, but for the general ranked content, it's just silly. If you want to do things lazily and expect a reward at the end, then this is not the game for you.

inb4 "wow cdfa rl ironic xdddddd ur fkn"
Mismagius

[CSGA]Ar3sgice wrote:

Blue Dragon wrote:

this is not true, many people play graveyard maps, just you can't see the playcount

big money is graveyard map too

------------------------
yeah, retardedly impossible and infamous maps get attention
what about actually good ones that can't get ranked s because of tupid spread rules??
Bobbias
Who's to say that we won't also see an influx of single Easy and Normal diffs by novice mappers if this rule were to be relaxed? Allowing 1 single diff to be ranked can actually be a good thing for novice mappers who see creating an entire mapset as a dauntingly huge task. If a new mapper gets the chance to create a single diff at any difficulty level they feel like and can get a chance to get is ranked, that creates a much more fine grained incentive for them, since they could then say "well, I only made a Normal that time, now I'll try for a Normal and a Hard". It makes creating a map seem like a much smaller thing than it currently feels like.
TheVileOne
It supports the already bad trait of only valuing the hardest difficulty and ignoring the rest of the mapset when it comes to determining the quality of a beatmap. Administration should keep a neutral/ all encompassing standard. Allowing this would go against that standard.

Also approval is being discontinued, replaced with a new system. We don't know how approval maps will be handled under the new ranking system. We shouldn't be testing out new rules/policies when inexperienced people are going to be responsible to following such rules.

Also I find an influx of single difficulties as a bad thing. If it's not the hardest it can be, then it's going to get rated poorly, because of how osu! playerbase values maps. It's also going to be just be lowered quality in general to have people just making single difficulties all over the place. If there is not going to be a map in which I prefer playing and the mapper could have easily included one, then I consider that mapset of lesser quality than a fullset version. It's different if the map is well suited for fast gameplay, but if it is just a common regular beated song, then I expect a full set and usually if your song is over 80 BPM you can create a full set if you can create an easier difficulty.
Shohei Ohtani

Bobbias wrote:

Who's to say that we won't also see an influx of single Easy and Normal diffs by novice mappers if this rule were to be relaxed? Allowing 1 single diff to be ranked can actually be a good thing for novice mappers who see creating an entire mapset as a dauntingly huge task. If a new mapper gets the chance to create a single diff at any difficulty level they feel like and can get a chance to get is ranked, that creates a much more fine grained incentive for them, since they could then say "well, I only made a Normal that time, now I'll try for a Normal and a Hard". It makes creating a map seem like a much smaller thing than it currently feels like.
That would be great

If it worked like that.

But it doesn't.

Most novice mappers as well as experienced mappers are like "I'M GONNA MAP AN INSANE AND IT'S GONNA BE SO COOL OMG", mostly because Insane is where people can mostly utilize their stuff. Plus, it's the most appealing.

Plus, think of it like this.

I'm a new mapper and I make a really bland diff and call it "Normal." I get it ranked by the system.

I'm not gonna put in more work now that I've found out how to get maps ranked fairly easily. I'm gonna keep on making normal diff maps. Because if I care more about getting things ranked than the enjoyment of mapping (Which a lot of mappers do), then I'm gonna mill out normal diff maps because I want to get a lot of ranked maps and be the best mapper like Cookiezi.
Mismagius

TheVileOne wrote:

usually if your song is over 80 BPM you can create a full set if you can create an easier difficulty.
Look, more examples on how you're wrong!
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/92258
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/19536

These are over 80BPM. The second is a regular beated song. There you go!
TheVileOne
How am I wrong? I could create a three difficulty set for the first song and at least a 4 difficulty set for the second song. Also Normal+Hard qualifies as a full set under the rules. How is this relevant? I was speaking in the vast majority of cases over 80 BPM you can create at least 2 difficulties. Songs vary though. Not every song can/should be mapped.

This is not even a point worth validating. It doesn't matter whether there are cases where we can't map a rankable set under the rules. A fullset is defined as at least 2 difficulties mapped in sequential order.
Mismagius

TheVileOne wrote:

Also Normal+Hard qualifies as a full set under the rules. How is this relevant? I was speaking in the vast majority of cases over 80 BPM you can create at least 2 difficulties. Songs vary though. Not every song can/should be mapped.
I thought we were talking about "full sets" here.
Ekaru
Man, this thread is awesome! It's like I'm really reading the same arguments over and over! It's like a perfect circle. :)

Yes, this is pretty much a shit post. My point still stands.
show more