forum

[Taiko] Ranking Criteria Adjustments and Discussion

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Makar
I am creating this thread in order to bring up some changes to the Taiko ranking criteria found here - http://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Taiko_Ranking_Criteria

I have already made some minor adjustments for neatness, but I would like to propose some more changes to make the rules more "defined." In other words, I feel that there is some subjectiveness and we should adjust the criteria to be more like the General and Standard criteria: more objective and clear on what is right and wrong.

Keep in mind that this is ranking criteria, which are rules that are followed by mappers that wish to have maps in the ranked category. You are free to submit maps that do not follow these rules as you have before, but will not be ranked. The primary purpose is to provide something for everybody to enjoy.

Here are the rules I propose adjusting:

Rules

1. Finish notes
    Finish notes must not be in the middle or at the beginning in a 1/4 or above stream. At the end, finish streams may be allowed if there is a reasonable sound for it and follow one of the following patterns: xxxxxxxxO, xxxxooooX, xxooxxooX
    1. This needs to be more clear, since there are some ranked maps that don't follow the example patterns. The wording is restrictive even though there are similar patterns that still follow the purpose of the rule. Instead, I propose this:
    2. Finish notes must not be in the middle or at the beginning in a 1/4 or above stream. At the end, finish streams may be allowed if there is a reasonable sound for it and have at least 2 notes before it that are the opposite note (For example, xxooxxooX, xxxxooooX, xoooxoooX, etc).
  2. Kiai time
    Only use the kiai time in the chorus of a song. Do not use short kiai "flashes".
    1. Where Kiai time should be used in respect to the music is definitely a subjective issue as well as using flashes. We will remove this rule since it is already in the general ranking criteria.
  3. Break time
    Taiko maps generally don't use the same defined break time sections as osu!, instead featuring short "rest sections". This means to avoid the use of constantly 1/4 notes and add some 1/1 sections for the player to recover.
    1. This is another subjective thing I do not agree with. Taiko maps should not be forced to have no breaks: Taiko players can get tired too. While breaking via rest moments is okay, saying that taiko doesn't use the same break style as Standard is wrong imo. In fact, it is a Guideline in the ranking criteria to give players a break whenever possible. Because of this, I propose to remove this rule entirely, as it is redundant now.

Guidelines

1. BPM Changes
    Unnecessary BPM changes are not allowed unless the song has a relatively low BPM. Overlapping notes are not allowed, too, unless the song has a suitable changing BPM part for this with no complex streams. When changing BPM it is advisable to use the method or fixing it with using a series of slider velocity sections.
    1. I don't understand the first part of this, since that is a very strict general rule. Overlapping notes can relate to slider velocity changes, so I don't understand why this is labeled as "BPM change." This should be changed to "BPM and Slider Velocity Changes" and adjust the description to:
    2. To avoid overlapping notes (during slow downs) confusing players, use inherited timing points to make the notes gradually slow down into the section. Also, use Slider Velocity changes in a way that they are readable (not overlapping) and not too extreme when it's called for
  2. Drumrolls (Sliders)
    Use sparingly within a map and keep a 1/2 beat space between them and any other object. Try not to put sliders one after each other. Avoid using sliders for 125 BPM songs or lower (as the ticks change to 1/8) unless the music calls for it. Use a tick rate of 3 if the song self is snapped on 1/3.
    1. The sentence "Try not to put sliders one after each other" is unneeded, since this is subjective and can fit the music depending on the song.
  3. Shakers (Spinners)
    Try to leave at least a 1/2 beat between a note and a spinner. Using them on streams may be okay. 'Short spinners are highly not recommended, since they cover the notes and can cause players to miss due to pressing too much.
    1. "Using them on streams may be okay" should probably be removed since this is subjective, and usually using them at the end of streams is perfectly fine. I kinda wonder if short spinners of certain length (1-2 hits) should not be allowed for a similar reason why it is not allowed on standard. If a spinner is too short, the player can't read how many hits there are and may hit too much, therefore causing a hit on the note after the spinner to be a miss or 100. I propose moving this part to the rules, and leaving the rest to the guidelines:
    2. Short spinners that have 1-2 hits and have notes less than 1/1 apart from the end of the spinner are not allowed, as they cover the notes and can cause players to miss due to pressing too much.
  4. Custom Hitsound Volume
    Keep volume at a constant level (e.g. 80%) with the beat still somewhat audible. Use the "Normal" audio sample set.
    1. This is really subjective so maybe it should be removed? I have seen varying volume work really nicely in maps, as long as it's not overdone (kinda like standard).

Recommendations

1. Overall: This entire section should be removed as it is very pointless. Move the 1/3 and 1/6 usage to the guidelines and just remove this section.
Original Proposal

Rules

1. Finish notes
    Finish notes must not be in the middle or at the beginning in a 1/4 or above stream. At the end, finish streams may be allowed if there is a reasonable sound for it and follow one of the following patterns: xxxxxxxxO, xxxxooooX, xxooxxooX
    1. This needs to be more clear, since there are some ranked maps that don't follow the example patterns. The wording is restrictive even though there are similar patterns that still follow the purpose of the rule. Instead, I propose this:
    2. Finish notes must not be in the middle or at the beginning in a 1/4 or above stream. At the end, finish streams may be allowed if there is a reasonable sound for it and have at least 2 notes before it that are the opposite note (For example, xxooxxooX, xxxxooooX, xoooxoooX, etc).
  2. Kiai time
    Only use the kiai time in the chorus of a song. Do not use short kiai "flashes".
    1. Where Kiai time should be used in respect to the music is definitely a subjective issue, so I think it should be removed entirely:
    2. Short kiai "flashes" are not allowed in Taiko, as they affect score unnecessarily. This includes quick re-kiai (flashing kiai off then suddenly back on in a kiai section).
  3. Break time
    Taiko maps generally don't use the same defined break time sections as osu!, instead featuring short "rest sections". This means to avoid the use of constantly 1/4 notes and add some 1/1 sections for the player to recover.
    1. This is another subjective thing I do not agree with. Taiko maps should not be forced to have no breaks: Taiko players can get tired too. While breaking via rest moments is okay, saying that taiko doesn't use the same break style as Standard is wrong imo. In fact, it is a Guideline in the ranking criteria to give players a break whenever possible. Because of this, I propose to remove this rule entirely, as it is redundant now.

Guidelines

1. BPM Changes
    Unnecessary BPM changes are not allowed unless the song has a relatively low BPM. Overlapping notes are not allowed, too, unless the song has a suitable changing BPM part for this with no complex streams. When changing BPM it is advisable to use the method or fixing it with using a series of slider velocity sections.
    1. I don't understand the first part of this, since that is a very strict general rule. Overlapping notes can relate to slider velocity changes, so I don't understand why this is labeled as "BPM change." This should be changed to "BPM and Slider Velocity Changes" and adjust the description to:
    2. To avoid overlapping notes (during slow downs) confusing players, use inherited timing points to make the notes gradually slow down into the section. Also, use Slider Velocity changes in a way that they are readable (not overlapping) and not too extreme when it's called for
  2. Drumrolls (Sliders)
    Use sparingly within a map and keep a 1/2 beat space between them and any other object. Try not to put sliders one after each other. Avoid using sliders for 125 BPM songs or lower (as the ticks change to 1/8) unless the music calls for it. Use a tick rate of 3 if the song self is snapped on 1/3.
    1. The sentence "Try not to put sliders one after each other" is unneeded, since this is subjective and can fit the music depending on the song.
  3. Shakers (Spinners)
    Try to leave at least a 1/2 beat between a note and a spinner. Using them on streams may be okay. 'Short spinners are highly not recommended, since they cover the notes and can cause players to miss due to pressing too much.
    1. "Using them on streams may be okay" should probably be removed since this is subjective, and usually using them at the end of streams is perfectly fine. I kinda wonder if short spinners of certain length (1-2 hits) should not be allowed for a similar reason why it is not allowed on standard. If a spinner is too short, the player can't read how many hits there are and may hit too much, therefore causing a hit on the note after the spinner to be a miss or 100. I propose moving this part to the rules, and leaving the rest to the guidelines:
    2. Short spinners that have 1-2 hits and have notes that are 1/2 or less apart from the end of the spinner are not allowed, as they cover the notes and can cause players to miss due to pressing too much.
  4. Custom Hitsound Volume
    Keep volume at a constant level (e.g. 80%) with the beat still somewhat audible. Use the "Normal" audio sample set.
    1. This is really subjective so maybe it should be removed? I have seen varying volume work really nicely in maps, as long as it's not overdone (kinda like standard).

Recommendations

1. Overall: This entire section should be removed as it is very pointless. Move the 1/3 and 1/6 usage to the guidelines and just remove this section.

Changelog (newest to oldest)

The following are changes made to original proposal. For reasons why it was changed, please read the thread.
  1. Removed kiai rule
  2. Moved kiai rule to guidelines
  3. Added Slider Velocity changes guideline
  4. Added rekiai to kiai rule
Please discuss and give your opinions. You are free to adjust anything I have already said or add something new if you'd like.
those
For Kiai, include a part in which "reKiai" is not allowed/heavily suggested against.
Topic Starter
Makar

those wrote:

For Kiai, include a part in which "reKiai" is not allowed/heavily suggested against.
Fixed. Feel free to edit yourself with different wording.
Big and Busty
I don't understand why Finishers can't be in the beginning of a 1/4 stream?
I don't understand why short kiai flashes can't be used - they are cool and fun to watch?

I can understand your point but the rules you mentioned should be applied only to noobie maps like Oni's and lower? People who tend to play Ura's will not miss or have any issues with fast spinners or 1/4 beginning with a Finisher.
Yuzeyun

Big and Busty wrote:

I don't understand why Finishers can't be in the beginning of a 1/4 stream?
Because we're not Ishida, dude.

also the speed change thing should be added, as these things should be with the music. something like 1.1x or 1.2x may be allowed in special conditions for equally intense parts, anything above just for the sake of putting them is a no-no, imo. same apply for slow-downs, if the song gets calmer, < 1.0x is allowed.

how I would formulate it:

1271419-chan wrote:

Use Slider Velocity changes only when needed. If the song gets more intense, using >1.0x is allowed, as well as if it gets calmer, the use of <1.0x SV is also permitted.
if anyone has a better way to formulate it, i'm in
Loctav
Kiai rule is redundant. Remove it entirely, since we already have a similar rule in the "General Ranking Criteria", which applies across all present game modes already.

Hit sound volume stuff is unneeded since its too subjective and depending on song

bigdon stuff in streams seem fine in its reworded version.

Also this thread is about refining the wording of the current rule set. If you want to discuss a rule in specific and want to change/remove it entirely with significant effects on mapping, open a separate thread per rule, please.

If you keep discussing the bigdon-stream rule in general here, I will split the topic into a new one
karterfreak

Loctav wrote:

Kiai rule is redundant. Remove it entirely, since we already have a similar rule in the "General Ranking Criteria", which applies across all present game modes already.

Hit sound volume stuff is unneeded since its too subjective and depending on song

bigdon stuff in streams seem fine in its reworded version.

Also this thread is about refining the wording of the current rule set. If you want to discuss a rule in specific and want to change/remove it entirely with significant effects on mapping, open a separate thread per rule, please.

If you keep discussing the bigdon-stream rule in general here, I will split the topic into a new one
I'm pretty sure the title of the thread is Ranking Criteria Adjustments and Discussion Loctav. Seeing as this thread is adjusting / rewording certain rules, this is exactly where this should be discussed, seeing as its in regards to one of the rules being looked at.

To answer you question off the top of my head for an example song where kdkkK could be used wmf, I'd say nyan cat (mostly because it popped up on my osu! as I'm typing this) as a quick example.
Loctav
Read how this board is working then, please.
Rewording means making the current rule more clear, not to change it's content.
Topic Starter
Makar
Okay, so if nobody has any objections, the following changes will be finalized as they don't change much:

1. Remove Kiai flash rule (it's already in the general ranking criteria, not really much need for discussion)
  2. Remove Break time rule (no objections so far, only seems logical, and part of general ranking criteria)
  3. BPM changes rewording to be more specific
  4. Remove custom hitsound volume guideline (subjective, nonsense, already covered in general criteria)
  5. Remove entire Recommendations section (pointless, subjective, etc)
The following will need further discussion, as they affect the rules more greatly (relates to gameplay/playability of maps):

1. 1/4 finisher usage
  2. Short spinners
Opinions on the changes listed here are welcome

@Loctav: I created this thread for the purpose of discussing greater changes as well. Since we seem to have narrowed it down to two bigger topics, I see no problem having discussion here. But if you'd like, new threads could be made
karterfreak
Loctav
Alright. Please make seperate threads for each rule so we can heart them seperately when the discussion of each rule is over. It's just having a functional purpose. Hearting this.
Topic Starter
Makar
Okay, added changes to criteria @ https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Taiko_Ranking_Criteria

If any moderator could split this thread to 2 other topics: One with posts about finishers, and the other about short spinners. That'd be nice (I'm busy studying for an exam atm. I'll do it when I get back if nobody does it by then).
EDIT: okay done, hopefully I didn't screw up. This thread looks pretty empty now :p
incase it gets asked about in the future: After splitting this thread some of the content/opinions were edited out to make sense (which is why it seems like there wasn't much discussion)