forum

Mention/Keyword Highlight for Forum

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +26
Topic Starter
Oinari-sama
Keywords: Username, Mention, Highlight, Quote, Summon, Notification

At the moment, the user can conveniently keep track of names/keyword mentioned in IRC chat by looking at the #highlight.

I've been wondering for a while now, is it possible to have a similar feature for Forum Posts?

This can be initially a notification (similar to a thread subscription) everytime someone mentions your name in a post, prefixed with a @ (eg @Oinari-sama). This feature can be expanded to include a user defined keyword list much like the IRC feature, in addition to your own username.

This can be useful when you're trying to relay an idea/fix already mentioned by someone. When the username is mentioned in such a post (eg I remember xxx already posted something similar...), the highlighted user may notice the post and provide better reply.

The user should have the freedom to select/disable this feature via forum settings panel.

EDIT: Integrated [CSGA]Ar3sgice's idea.
theowest
This would be very helpful. Instantly get notified whenever someone quotes you would be so neat.
[CSGA]Ar3sgice
if you mean summoning in forum (@wcx19911123), that would be really useful, support
Topic Starter
Oinari-sama

[CSGA]Ar3sgice wrote:

if you mean summoning in forum (@wcx19911123), that would be really useful, support
lol "summoning" is a good way to put it
jemhuntr
support. need this.
Topic Starter
Oinari-sama
Been 3 months so I guess it's ok to give this a bump?
Shohei Ohtani
haha those is gonna hate this
Topic Starter
Oinari-sama

CDFA wrote:

haha those is gonna hate this
oh lol... Although I did propose this as something which the user can disable, I could not think of a good alternative to handle usernames like "those" (if they choose to turn ON the feature).

Maybe someone else can do better hmm...
Shohei Ohtani
I like CSGA's idea of implementing this.

[CSGA]Ar3sgice wrote:

People would still be notified, but only when the person wants them to be notified

Because then like Cookiezi would get like 200 pms every day too :3
Topic Starter
Oinari-sama

CDFA wrote:

I like CSGA's idea of implementing this.

[CSGA]Ar3sgice wrote:

People would still be notified, but only when the person wants them to be notified

Because then like Cookiezi would get like 200 pms every day too :3
Fair enough. Added to the OP.
Abygall
Nice idea :)
Nathanael
I would like to support this even without any stars since its helpful for notifying people on those threads when they're needed.
( Optionally, a user toggle can be included if they want not to be notified )

Also bumped due to this duplicate thread: t/158442
PyaKura

Nathanael wrote:

I would like to support this even without any stars since its helpful for notifying people on those threads when they're needed.
( Optionally, a user toggle can be included if they want not to be notified )

Also bumped due to this duplicate thread: https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/158442
I wanted to bump it too... got ninja'd. :(

Support !
Rio-
2 Months bump... :o

Support btw~
Nathanael

satriobp wrote:

Too bad for those If this request is Implemented (He'll receive hundreds notification because of His Account-name being mentioned) XD
That's the problem if each words are being converted into mentions automatically. XD
( I wonder Where are those cookies? )
Rio-

Nathanael wrote:

satriobp wrote:

Too bad for those If this request is Implemented (He'll receive hundreds notification because of His Account-name being mentioned) XD
That's the problem if each words are being converted into mentions automatically. XD
Nice try You got there... XD (And I edit My last post)
*Maybe we can add @[user] like in Facebook, so that any mistakes can be avoided
Nathanael
Yeah. I bumped it due to a duplicate. <.<
Anyways, we can also just use the BBcode [profile] and let the forum system notify the user that he/she is mentioned.
Rio-

Nathanael wrote:

Anyways, we can also just use the BBcode [profile] and let the forum system notify the user that he/she is mentioned.
What about some players like [ Beatrice ], [ SuddenDeath ], and [-Nightmare-]?... I think It's not enough only putting [profile] there..
Nathanael
Erm... The usual BBcode we're using.
[profile][ Beatrice ][/profile]
[profile][ SuddenDeath ][/profile]
[profile][-Nightmare-][/profile]
Rio-

Nathanael wrote:

Erm... The usual BBcode we're using.
[profile][ Beatrice ][/profile]
[profile][ SuddenDeath ][/profile]
[profile][-Nightmare-][/profile]
Ah... my Bad... Yeah, maybe we can use that... But I wonder If we can use It like this...
@[profile][ Beatrice ][/profile]
@[profile][ SuddenDeath ][/profile]
@[profile][-Nightmare-][/profile]
Nathanael
That's also good to be suggested imo.
Having "@" on the name, it will mention the user and if it doesn't then it will just link the user's profile.
deadbeat
i can safely say, i wouldn't like being summoned like this
pixeldesu

Nathanael wrote:

satriobp wrote:

If this feature would be implemented, there kinda "must" be some trigger which indicates a username being mentioned (@, ! or maybe [profile]-Tags as triggers)

I'm kinda neutral on this, because this would need a toggle to disable notifications. Imagine people spamming around usernames and flooding peoples notifications, or something like that.
PyaKura

deadbeat wrote:

What if you can just toggle this feature on/off ?
Topic Starter
Oinari-sama

PyaKura wrote:

deadbeat wrote:

What if you can just toggle this feature on/off ?
That's what I said in the OP:

Oinari-sama wrote:

The user should have the freedom to select/disable this feature via forum settings panel.
PyaKura
My bad. I didn't bother reading the OP entirely. :o
PyaKura
Bumping.
o x
Bump

This is a really good idea, it helps with replies and when it's a big active forum you get to see posts that people direct at you. Hopefully one day this gets implemented :C
Full support.