forum

Show full mod name in beatmap pages

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +12
show more
she_old

Makar wrote:

Full Tablet wrote:

It's easier to read with short names
I don't see how, as there are less distinguishable factors

SPOILER
HD
HR
HD
HR
HR
HD
HD
HD
HR
HD
HR
HR
HD
HR
HD
HD
HR

Or find the number of "Hardrock" in this:
SPOILER
Hidden
Hardrock
Hidden
Hardrock
Hardrock
Hidden
Hidden
Hidden
Hardrock
Hidden
Hardrock
Hardrock
Hidden
Hardrock
Hidden
Hidden
Hardrock
lol, support
Tshemmp
I don't like the change, hard to find certain mods. So support!
Luna
It's way easier to find specific Mods with the long mod names; having all mods represented by only two letters (with overlaps as in HD/HR) just makes it unnecessarily complicated IMHO. And it's not like the old layout was overly cluttered or anything.
Supporting this.
darkmiz
I suggest making different color text like DT HD HR FL EZ
Full Tablet

darkmiz wrote:

DT NC HD HR FL EZ HT
Wishy
I agree long names > short names (on website).
Winshley
When the change applied, I started to get myself confused because of the indistinguishable factor.

On easier diff, I find it harder to distinguish HD,HR,DT,FL with HD,HR,DT,SD because they have similar length, unlike the long name variant where I can compare easier even with just skimming through the leaderboard.

I also agree with the new player issue as well.

tl;dr: Supporting.
yakimikan
Support

for non english users abbreviations are really demanding.. and strange
prefer to see full mod names if there is enough room
xsrsbsns
Support, worse readability now.
[CSGA]Ar3sgice
Why is it changed at the beginning anyways o.o
Aqo
Support

really hard to tell mod differences apart at a glance now, which is definitely a step back from what it was before.
I might be ok with the short names if they were color-coded with a distinguishing color per mod but otherwise bring the old back

There was no reason for this change
and it makes things worse
whhhyyyyy doooo thiiissss
don't do changes for the sake of changing things
XPJ38

darkmiz wrote:

That's actually a very good idea. I'm quite neutral towards OP's request, but I support colors.
Mara
This is kinda off-topic, but... what is HF?
VoidnOwO
:)
Winshley

BRBP wrote:

Mara wrote:

I honestly can't remember the name of that o!m specific HD flip-over mod, maybe that?
Fade in, don't know what it's short name is.
It's HalfTime (Weirdly, it's not HT). FadeIn is FI.

This should explain what HF is.
Topic Starter
Makar

Mara wrote:

Perfectly on topic!
Kuria

Mara wrote:

"have fun" lol
chaotic_iak
I can see a plausible reason: it might shave off several hundreds of bytes of transmitting data when one views the beatmap page. If there are like 100k views per day, peppy shaved off several tens of megabytes of data, reducing bandwidth.

If that (bandwidth conservation) isn't the reason though, I prefer colored short name over long name or short name. For me, it's easier to see. Heck; just use the standard mod pictures.

Or otherwise, adapted from some website: Always display all mods, in the same order. However, nonused mods can be grayed out. Something like this:
EZ NF HF HR SD DT HD FL SO nK

For variation mods (PF, NC, FI, the key mods), just replace the corresponding text:
EZ NF HF HR PF NC FI FL SO 8K

The used mods can also be colored (obviously use dark colors, otherwise they aren't seen). To conserve space (horizontal space is important, some website says), some mods that negate each other (EZ-HR, NF-SD, HF-DT) can be put in the same spot:
HR SD HF HD FL SO nK

Well. I just hope the above idea doesn't stray from the topic.
silmarilen
support, its just annoying to read now.
Aqo

chaotic_iak wrote:

I can see a plausible reason: it might shave off several hundreds of bytes of transmitting data when one views the beatmap page. If there are like 100k views per day, peppy shaved off several tens of megabytes of data, reducing bandwidth.
had a good laugh
woc2006
Are you sure you got confused with short name because of unreadable not unfamiliar?
those
I understand the use of short forms in game, due to a limited amount of space. However, a web browser does not share that restriction.
woc2006

those wrote:

I understand the use of short forms in game, due to a limited amount of space. However, a web browser does not share that restriction.
The main content width is limited.
those

woc2006 wrote:

those wrote:

The main content width is limited.
Did it ever run into any problems displaying 5 mods? If not, I really don't feel the change was necessary.
Wishy
woc just understand this change is bad and it helps no real purpose at all (never saw any problem even while displaying 5000 mods).
chaotic_iak
Some users have 800x600 resolution. The maximum width of a browser's content for them is something like 770px. Currently the width is 860px, so the change hasn't succeeded. But much better than with full name mods, which I should expect to be around 900px.

If width reduction is the objective though, why don't there be more width reductions? Changing Report link to a warning sign and making the headers take less width (Accuracy -> Acc, Max Combo -> Combo, etc) for example.

Also @^: 5000 mods is like 20k px wide. Not that there is any combination of 5000 mods either.
XPJ38

chaotic_iak wrote:

Currently the width is 860px, so the change hasn't succeeded. But much better than with full name mods, which I should expect to be around 900px.
No, it's 864px whatever the length of the mod names. When full names were used, the other cells of the ranking table were automatically resized to be smaller.
Wishy
I don't think we should care about those who use 800x600, really who the hell still uses such a low resolution?

chaotic_iak wrote:

Also @^: 5000 mods is like 20k px wide. Not that there is any combination of 5000 mods either.
Aqo

chaotic_iak wrote:

Some users have 800x600 resolution.
Did you come here with a time machine from 1995?

According to researches it's very rare to have resolutions of 1024x768 or below today.
Primula_old
I would like long names back for the reason you mentioned (it's difficult to distinguish between things like HD/HR and newbies don't understand the acronyms).

But I think the mods that do not alter score should only be displayed on the in-game rankings as acronyms and removed from the web rankings.
Or at least: Append a character like * to the mod display for each player in the list using mods which do not alter score, and when that mod display is highlighted a label displays those additional mods.

So something like:
Hidden,HardRock,DoubleTime,Flashlight,SuddenDeath
Becomes:
Hidden,HardRock,DoubleTime,Flashlight* with Label: SuddenDeath
Topic Starter
Makar

Primula wrote:

I would like long names back for the reason you mentioned (it's difficult to distinguish between things like HD/HR and newbies don't understand the acronyms).

But I think the mods that do not alter score should only be displayed on the in-game rankings as acronyms and removed from the web rankings.
Or at least: Append a character like * to the mod display for each player in the list using mods which do not alter score, and when that mod display is highlighted a label displays those additional mods.

So something like:
Hidden,HardRock,DoubleTime,Flashlight,SuddenDeath
Becomes:
Hidden,HardRock,DoubleTime,Flashlight* with Label: SuddenDeath
Definitely agree'd on this.
[CSGA]Ar3sgice
.-.

just change to acronym when totalwidth is > XXX px, otherwise use long names
Winshley
I once squeezed out the web leaderboard for this map, but it still didn't go to the extent of breaking the interface.
Primula_old

Winshley wrote:

I once squeezed out the web leaderboard for this map, but it still didn't go to the extent of breaking the interface.
I had to look in game to determine what "SO" was (SpunOut I'm guessing). <--- This is why its a terrible change. ;---;
Winshley

Primula wrote:

Winshley wrote:

I had to look in game to determine what "SO" was (SpunOut I'm guessing). <--- This is why its a terrible change. ;---;
Yes, it's SpunOut.
Soaprman
Maybe try icons. Colored versions of the mod icons ingame might look alright shrunk down. That way you get the benefits of shape AND color to tell things apart. Right now there's neither.

darkmiz wrote:

This could work if the letters were bolded to make the colors stand out more. At least in that example, I can't tell HD and HR apart very easily at a glance, and even if those colors are changed, the problem will resurface when all the other mods have to be added in.

If things are kept as they are now, at least add the long names as hovertext. It'll be easier to read and could aid people in learning these goofy abbreviations.
Aqo
Those short names make scoreboards insanely annoying to look at. Please revert back already.

This is not a case of "give it time to get used to". You don't get used to this. It creates a strain on the eyes to try to distinguish mod combinations and it's just annoying and pointless. It was fine before... why did you change this ugh.
boat
lmao

keep it this way, these guys are hillarious
deadbeat

Aqo wrote:

This is not a case of "give it time to get used to". You don't get used to this.
i lol'd
i'm already used to it :p
Aqo
how to into small letters ughhh
show more