forum

Show full mod name in beatmap pages

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +12
Topic Starter
Makar
This is a request to revert "[woc2006] Show short mod name in beatmap pages."

Short mod is just more annoying to read, when full mod clearly showed differences in score and ordered it nicely. I don't see why this change was added honestly, as there was enough space on the listing and now with short mod there is a lot of unnecessary free space... Also, newer players don't really know what the abbreviations even mean

For those of you don't know, this is what the listing currently looks like:

when it used to look like this:

Makar wrote:

Would you rather find the number of "HR"s in this:
SPOILER
HD
HR
HD
HR
HR
HD
HD
HD
HR
HD
HR
HR
HD
HR
HD
HD
HR

Or find the number of "Hardrock" in this:
SPOILER
Hidden
Hardrock
Hidden
Hardrock
Hardrock
Hidden
Hidden
Hidden
Hardrock
Hidden
Hardrock
Hardrock
Hidden
Hardrock
Hidden
Hidden
Hardrock
Full Tablet
It's easier to read with short names
deadbeat
as with all new changes, why not give it a chance before shooting it down. please don't come here straight away asking for a revert ;__;
Topic Starter
Makar

Full Tablet wrote:

I don't see how, as there are less distinguishable factors

more distinguishable characters = easier to read or notice differences in mods.

for example this listing https://osu.ppy.sh/b/205313&m=0 is fairly hard to notice differences from a distance viewing, compared to having the full name there.

Would you rather find the number of "HR"s in this:
SPOILER
HD
HR
HD
HR
HR
HD
HD
HD
HR
HD
HR
HR
HD
HR
HD
HD
HR

SPOILER
Hidden
Hardrock
Hidden
Hardrock
Hardrock
Hidden
Hidden
Hidden
Hardrock
Hidden
Hardrock
Hardrock
Hidden
Hardrock
Hidden
Hidden
Hardrock

At first glance it's easier to notice in the full name due to distinguishable factors such as length and distinguishing characters in the middle.
deadbeat
it's the exact same ingame so it shouldn't cause many issues
Topic Starter
Makar

deadbeat wrote:

it's the exact same ingame so it shouldn't cause many issues
Only because there is no room to show it all.

On the listing there is plenty of space, and now there is even more pointless space (unless they plan to fill this with other information)?

Why is this marked as invalid anyways... there was like, no discussion and it's not like there is a need for "trying it out" when it's simply a visual feature.
deadbeat
fine, i'll give you your discussion, but i'm guessing it'll reach the same verdict.
XPJ38
I like short names for records that have 4/5 mods on them (HD,HR,DT,FL,SD is much cleaner than Hidden,HardRock,DoubleTime,Flashlight,SuddenDeath), but I can see why they could be annoying to read. I would also know why this change has been applied.
Topic Starter
Makar
Yeah, it is definitely less cluttered, but at the cost of being able to distinguish as easily. It'd be interesting to know if there was a real reason for this change or not, and if so, what is it?
[Luxord]
Personally I don't see anything wrong with the short names o.o They are easy to read and more comfortable when some people use 5/5 Mods or something.

I personally prefer to see HD,HR,FL,SD,DT than Hidden,HardRock,FlashLight,SuddenDeath,DoubleTime.
Topic Starter
Makar

KiyoshiX101 wrote:

Personally I don't see anything wrong with the short names o.o They are easy to read and more comfortable when some people use 5/5 Mods or something.

I personally prefer to see HD,HR,FL,SD,DT than Hidden,HardRock,FlashLight,SuddenDeath,DoubleTime.
It's not really about single lines though. In order to see what I am talking about, you have to consider the grouping of many players and all of their mods side by side rather than a single line comparison.
LnDSuv
As for me, the new scoreboard is as readable as the old one. But I prefer the current one since it looks neat (I think it's the main reason why it was implemented).

However

Makar wrote:

newer players don't really know what the abbreviations even mean
can be an issue. Not a big one, since many of new players still can guess the meaning.

BTW, notice how in your example under the spoiler text rows are not separated by color change like in a real scoreboard. That actually makes a big difference in readability (at least for me).
she_old

Makar wrote:

Full Tablet wrote:

I don't see how, as there are less distinguishable factors

SPOILER
HD
HR
HD
HR
HR
HD
HD
HD
HR
HD
HR
HR
HD
HR
HD
HD
HR

SPOILER
Hidden
Hardrock
Hidden
Hardrock
Hardrock
Hidden
Hidden
Hidden
Hardrock
Hidden
Hardrock
Hardrock
Hidden
Hardrock
Hidden
Hidden
Hardrock
lol, support
Tshemmp
I don't like the change, hard to find certain mods. So support!
Luna
It's way easier to find specific Mods with the long mod names; having all mods represented by only two letters (with overlaps as in HD/HR) just makes it unnecessarily complicated IMHO. And it's not like the old layout was overly cluttered or anything.
Supporting this.
darkmiz
I suggest making different color text like DT HD HR FL EZ
Full Tablet

darkmiz wrote:

DT NC HD HR FL EZ HT
Wishy
I agree long names > short names (on website).
Winshley
When the change applied, I started to get myself confused because of the indistinguishable factor.

On easier diff, I find it harder to distinguish HD,HR,DT,FL with HD,HR,DT,SD because they have similar length, unlike the long name variant where I can compare easier even with just skimming through the leaderboard.

I also agree with the new player issue as well.

tl;dr: Supporting.
yakimikan
Support

for non english users abbreviations are really demanding.. and strange
prefer to see full mod names if there is enough room
xsrsbsns
Support, worse readability now.
[CSGA]Ar3sgice
Why is it changed at the beginning anyways o.o
Aqo
Support

really hard to tell mod differences apart at a glance now, which is definitely a step back from what it was before.
I might be ok with the short names if they were color-coded with a distinguishing color per mod but otherwise bring the old back

There was no reason for this change
and it makes things worse
whhhyyyyy doooo thiiissss
don't do changes for the sake of changing things
XPJ38

darkmiz wrote:

That's actually a very good idea. I'm quite neutral towards OP's request, but I support colors.
Mara
This is kinda off-topic, but... what is HF?
show more