forum

How do you press X/Z Mouse keys; Single or Rotate?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Fenarth
Started playing osu couple days ago, after getting stuck on a hard song I watched one of the top replays and noticed a peculiar occurrence.

I thought it was an anomaly so I started looking at other replays for random songs I haven't played and it happens like 95% of the time

The vast majority of players play spamming x or z over and over unless the song gets EXTREMELY fast; in which case they spam both keys.

When I first started playing osu I played pressing x exclusively but it really started hurting;
So I started rotating between x and z for every single note in osu.
I thought this was a natural thing everyone would do but it doesn't actually happen.

Are you supposed to play spamming 1 key?

Playing with X then having to switch to both for fast parts and switching back seems like alot of unnecessary work to do. And I would've assumed people rotated keys for the sake of stamina

Some reasoning would be nice
buny
most maps are mapped to 1/4

you have people that will either:
a)single tap everything (no clue why you want to do this)
b)single tap beats that are spaced by 1/2, and use both keys for beats that are spaced by 1/4
c)both keys for every single beat

the reason why people use both key is because well...it's easier than trying to match fast speeds with 1 finger.
winber1
alternating keys often leads to worse accuracy and it is harder to play for most people, and most of these people don't want to learn how to alternate because it doesn't really help them much or they are lazy (or both). I'm not very good at alternating, but I do it rarely when maps are really fast and I don't feel like trying to single-tap my way out (or if I am playing slider streams). The thing is being able to single tap really quickly often yields better results in scores sooner, unless you are one of those few people that are like SilviA or something that just knows how to alternate extremely well.

You don't have to single tap because most people do this, do what is comfortable for you, but just keep in mind that if you do plan on getting good at osu, you will need stamina (you can still alternate, but stamina is not something you can avoid by alternating).
Sup A Noob
There's really no absolute way to play osu!. For me, I alternate, but start on Z when I do quickfire triples, and tend to lean towards Z when I open sliders, though I can easily use the other. People find my style strange, but I like it, and it gives me enjoyment when I employ the random alternating style.
Oinari-sama
Topics like this are discussed quite frequently here. You can try a search next time.

For example have a look at this related topic.
CXu
Using one finger makes it possible to use your wrist as well when hammering down the beats. Just sayin'
TakuMii
It's partly preference, and partly what you started playing with. Once you start playing one way, it might be difficult to switch to the other.
Many people singletap and only alternate when necessary (during streams), since the slower maps you start off playing don't require the benefit of 2 fingers.

(Personally, I have no finger muscle, so I was only able to alternate after tons of practice. Now that I switched to playing left-handed, the only way I can stream without tons of practice is by lazily using my wrist to hit both keys almost at the same time)
those
I can single tap and alternate with both mouse only and keyboard. Then again I don't get very many top50s unless I really tried.
Wishy
x x x x x

Stream comes:

xzxzxzxzxz
VoidnOwO

buny wrote:

a)single tap everything(no clue why you want to do this)
Wishy
It pretty much comes down to this:

Single tap 1/2 beats ("normal speed" beats you could call them)
Alternate between z and x for 1/4 beats (streams, you can call them "fast beats" if you want)

In the future you will encounter with some maps where single tapping and alternating both have some kind of advantage so you will have to choose between them, but that's something you should not care about right now and there are not many maps like that.

Single tapping helps with accuracy, and for many it also helps with aim.
XGeneral2000
Single tapping seems to be generally accepted as more accurate, especially for weird combinations of 1/2 and sliders that might trip you up if you alternate everything. Obviously, single-tapping 1/4 at 270 BPM isn't so feasible, so many (top-ranked) people combine the two. Single-tapping what is single-tappable and alternating streams.

I never really learned to single-tap, so I automatically alternate everything even it's only like 1 note every second. It helped with speed and stamina, and I don't have to consciously do anything to alternate, but my accuracy probably suffered as a result. Now I'm trying to learn how to single-tap things.
Wishy
Single tapping 1/4 at 270 BPM is like single tapping 1/2 at 540 BPM so of course it is not possible.

Try not to confuse the OP. :p
VoidnOwO
:)
-Soba-
I can 1key 200 bpm, come at me world. (not streams obviously)
buny
i can 2key 50 bpm

/me comes at -Soba-

anyway singletap what you can, and alternate what you can't
Aqo

buny wrote:

i can 2key 50 bpm
But that's easy.
Can you 2key 120bpm?

http://puu.sh/2LS6p.rar <- check your ability to alternate 120bpm. (also good for 90bpm with halftime)
buny

Aqo wrote:

buny wrote:

i can 2key 50 bpm
But that's easy.
Can you 2key 120bpm?

http://puu.sh/2LS6p.rar <- check your ability to alternate 120bpm. (also good for 90bpm with halftime)
yes.
Aqo
buny so pro
naipeu
Z doesn't even register a note, only x

edit: nvm i was holding my pen on the tablet so it was registering as z or left click holding lol