forum

How to map.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
deannn
Hello, does anyone know a video that explains how the mapping system works and how to do it? Or, how did you guys learn it?
THAT_otaku
I personally learnt the basics of how to map from Pishifat's videos, and then experiencing it for myself from lots and lots of practice. The best way to learn is just by mapping more, in my experience. later down the line something that really helped me improve was beatmap modding, that taught me alot for sure.
Evyl
i watched lots of mapping videos on yt for starters,pishifat's videos and a lot more,once i knew how some stuffs worked i went ahead and tried things out in the editor,my first map i didnt change anything in the song setup bcs i didnt know how to,it was rlly bad,i didnt know how to change slider velocity and all that,

but definitely go watch pishifat's videos and then spend a LOT of time in the editor,thats how i learned it.I also learned from looking at other people's maps,learning how to make certain slider patterns,etc.You can also join some discord servers for mapping,and you can ask other mappers there to help u out
FINGERLOCK
I have watched every single pishifat video and I think my only takeaway was that adding a slight curve to your sliders makes them rankable. But yeah his videos are a good starting point :).
Quozmox
Like everybody said, pishifat's videos are the best. I'm still an amateur at mapping even after 10 beatmaps, but slowly and surely, you'll see your beatmap quality go up every map that goes by. It just takes a lot of time. Good luck!
Leventina

THAT_otaku wrote:

Pishifat's videos
I watched some of his videos too

It's even better if you can have someone that can teach you the basics tho.

Also, something that helps a lot is to note all keyboard shortcuts on a notepad until you got it in your mind.
Most of the shortcuts are displayed in the 'drop-down carts' of the menu bar.
I can't give you them as I use AZERTY keyboard and I deleted most of them but I can give you that:

F1= compose tab
F2= design tab
F3= timing tab
F4= song setup window
F5= map test (when testing, press TAB to activate the bot)
F6= timing and control point window

I think it would be a great idea to start mapping with a short track of less than 3 minutes, sort your music on your computer per duration and choose the shortest one that you like the most.
Ideally you already got an idea of what you gonna do before you starts mapping.

Give us your map if you want when you finished it :)
Topic Starter
deannn
Okay guys, thank you so much for your help. I've watched some of pishifat's videos which solved lots of my problems with the editor. I started mapping 'Ultramarine' by YOASOBI. But I'm also thinking about changing the song since it's too long. Anyway thanks to you guys!