forum

Catch the Beat Mapping Discussions

posted
Total Posts
show more
eldnl

Drafura wrote:

I think it's up to the mapper but extremely small fruits should be banned. Maybe in some cases it could be allowed, but I can't find any case where it could fit.

When we stay in decent sizes CtB is more pattern dependant in term of difficulty so a smaller circle size can be used to make neater patterns or even trigger extra hypers. That's why I think it's up to the mapper decision.

About a rule/guideline for using only smaller or same object's size when increasing the difficulty : I have no opinion, I would personally do it like this for my maps but I see no point in restricting this to other mappers.
I personally think that a small CS doesn't fit anywhere, but if someone like it ...
XEPCOH

Should be like this, in my opinion. Shown level jumps is max jump distance in map.
VelperK
I think low CS doesn't look good in both standard and CtB, and this is something we can observe specially when seeing how most of the maps won't go +5 in CS.
Topic Starter
Lally
Since i see someone opended a queue again i had the idea of adding the queue after the nick in the box of modders/''help ppl'', do you think it will be ok or should i leave it how it is atm? =w=
Deif
Creating a new topic like the one in the Taiko subforum seems more logical, because you're listing the active modders within the community.

Nevertheless it's a great idea, since it's a very pain in the neck to check the whole Mod Request subforum for a queue that offers CTB modding/GD.
eldnl

Deif wrote:

Creating a new topic like the one in the Taiko subforum seems more logical, because you're listing the active modders within the community.

Nevertheless it's a great idea, since it's a very pain in the neck to check the whole Mod Request subforum for a queue that offers CTB modding/GD.
A list of modders is not a bad idea, actually we need that to make the system works faster.
XEPCOH
Actually we need to show which maps are extremely needed to be modded and that's why I support modding list lel
eldnl

Deif wrote:

1. Overall Difficulty should have the same value as the Approach Rate. This is just a standardized value, as OD does not affect gameplay nor the amount of fruits a spinner has, just the max score of a difficulty.
I guess we can use OD to make the difficulty spread fits, when it is possible.
Deif
AR already influences in making a proper difficulty spread (AR in Rain > Platter > ...). As OD goes along with the AR, that shouldn't be a real problem.
Drafura
Anyone knows if OD affects hyperdashes (triggering distance or behavior) in this build ?
ursa

Drafura wrote:

Anyone knows if OD affects hyperdashes (triggering distance or behavior) in this build ?
new updates ?

Deif wrote:

AR already influences in making a proper difficulty spread (AR in Rain > Platter > ...). As OD goes along with the AR, that shouldn't be a real problem.

AR & OD yould get along for the diff. for some reason i think it's important because of the spinner's part & also i think for the pattern converts on HR
Topic Starter
Lally
ty dani for open a new tread :3!

Drafura wrote:

hmm i'm not sure about, did you do some tests?
Drafura
Tests has been made under the old build proving OD was only affecting the score of the beatmap as Deif's stated in his last post. That's why I'm wondering if this has been changed, there's no reasons to have been changed but imho others things changed wich wasn't needed, so maybe tests should be done once more time to check this point imo.
Topic Starter
Lally
hmm,i played some maps today and i din't notice the difference since last days i played,but yap some things are changed
eldnl
I did some tests, every score is 1 play count

Spin OD0 https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/790885
Spin OD10 https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/790888

Map OD0 https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/790895
Map OD10 https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/790897

Also watched auto playing with HR and in both cases it is the same
OD only affects the score
Topic Starter
Lally
but it should not affect the score .w. then someone will use higher OD just to increse the score, even if a little difference
eldnl

Lally wrote:

but it should not affect the score .w. then someone will use higher OD just to increse the score, even if a little difference
It affects the score because in standard maps works, anyways, the score is nothing to worry about
Drafura
Thanks eldnl for the test. Okay so it stills only affecting score so I think it's better to stick with what was decided in the rules and use AR = OD. It was decided because it is how the very old beatmap format (wich didn't had AR settings if I remember well) was calculating the AR, and the second reason was obviously to force mapper to have more score on harder difficulties.
In my eyes it doesn't matter but if we have to set a rule about this I prefer AR = OD just cause it makes the things easier.
Topic Starter
Lally
well true since it just affects the scores,and not the gameplay like in standard
XEPCOH
But putting OD10 in easy maps looks a bit strange.
"A bit"
Nitojgrem

Don Omar wrote:

But putting OD10 in easy maps looks a bit strange.
"A bit"
That's why, if we follow the guideline OD=AR as it is now, this is prevented.... or you can show me an easy with AR 10..... before I killed the mapper then, lol.
eldnl
Even if you drop OD to 0 the score shouldn't be less than an easier difficulty, I pointed this out because of this map http://osu.ppy.sh/s/90323
I tried to have a perfect spread (ENHI), but I nedeed to use OD0 on Salad for that. So, if it doesn't affect anything, let's use it with common sense, even if you don't want to have Cup + OD0 it doesn't affect anything, and that's why we should mod maps.
Nitojgrem

eldnl wrote:

Even if you drop OD to 0 the score shouldn't be less than an easier difficulty, I pointed this out because of this map http://osu.ppy.sh/s/90323
I tried to have a perfect spread (ENHI), but I nedeed to use OD0 on Salad for that. So, if it doesn't affect anything, let's use it with common sense, even if you don't want to have Cup + OD0 it doesn't affect anything, and that's why we should mod maps.
I see what you mean here... that a Salad gives more points than a Platter is really strange but I think diffs shouldn't be measured on the highest possible score but on difficulty. I modded your map so I know how it looks like and that the Salad gives more points than the Platter... is something I didn't look at, tbh, but what is rather strange. Why? Normally the difficulty of the map should be enough to make the difference in score between difficulties and then it's a bit strange that you really have to play with the OD to achieve a different score so it's "more fitting for the specific difficulty". (what I want to say, is, if there didn't went something wrong?)

Edit: And yeah, on your response on my mod I can see that you don't really care anbout this guideline xD (I didn't either btw but got forced to change it bcs in the end it doesn't effect anything in a special way and that's why this guideline was made. To have consistency, something to refer on and not something to make that much sense on technical side (in this case). It helps to maintain a certain order and to prevent just a random mess^^)
Drafura
I didn't saw score problems so, I've pm'd eldnl and the matter is the difficulty detection of osu! not fitting with CtB. The 1/4 sliders makes the problem appear and the Normal is detected as a Hard by the system. The best way to solve this would be a fix, cause streams aren't allways hard in CtB, h-spacing is the key here.
eldnl

Drafura wrote:

I didn't saw score problems so, I've pm'd eldnl and the matter is the difficulty detection of osu! not fitting with CtB. The 1/4 sliders makes the problem appear and the Normal is detected as a Hard by the system. The best way to solve this would be a fix, cause streams aren't allways hard in CtB, h-spacing is the key here.
Probably because the difficulty on a map has nothing to do with the distance of the notes, but with the density.

You can help posting here t/135943
Seph
so has anyone thought of disallowing multiple sv changes on ctb maps?
Drafura

Seph wrote:

so has anyone thought of disallowing multiple sv changes on ctb maps?
Can you explain your mind ? Cause I don't get why it would be a problem.
Topic Starter
Lally
i don't think is a very big problem o3o
Seph
sorry but it actually is, perfect example is Aimai Elegy
eldnl

Seph wrote:

but try to explain the specific problem, because I don't understand
XEPCOH
what is sv?
Weez

Don Omar wrote:

what is sv?
SV= slider velocity, basically the speed of a slider.
Seph

Don Omar wrote:

what is sv?
slider velocity

eldnl wrote:

Seph wrote:

but try to explain the specific problem, because I don't understand
abuse of SV speed

01:07:330 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2) -

pretty self explanatory imo, sudden change of sv (mostly increasing) on maps arent necessary because

1. inconsistency on spacing (jumps)
2. maps are not meant to be played without unpressing dash
3. timing on jumps would get messed up
Drafura
I've found Amai Elegy sliders very nice and fitting very well in the song :o
I don't think a guideline/rule would be needed for this. I mean if the mapper wants to mess with the timing on jumps cause it fits there's no reason to restrict it.

Seph wrote:

2. maps are not meant to be played without unpressing dash
No, but if a certain part of the song fits with a full dash pattern why restrict it ?

I mean all of this make sense but the rule/guideline will fall under the basic universal rule of every beatmap (any mode) : "Your mapping should fit with the song".
eldnl
Drafura is right, but in my opinion it doesn't fit on that map/part
Deif
DaxMasterix is not a newbie mapper at all, and he surely knows what's right/wrong, or funny/painful to play. The SV change spam you mean is used to increase/decrease gradually the difficulty in both kiai times in Aimai Elegy, so it does make sense.

"No more than 3 SV per difficulty" was only a guideline, as far as I know... Check his maps carefully nevertheless, because he tries to use a perfect symmetry by increasing or decreasing the SV at some points, instead of making those sliders more vertical or horizontal.

It's another technique to map, more laborious, yet valid IMO.
ZHSteven
actually SV doesn't matter in CTB maps. it can be manually adjust by changing the slider direction, so fix SV seems stupid in CTB maps. I can make an SV 3.0 map just like a SV 1.0 map.

But yes, there should be a reason that people keep changing their slider speed, just like jumps.
ursa
for SV case , as long the map flow have the same sense with the SV , it's ok

also the most important thing , the slider from SV's change must be catched 100%

that's why for ctb map , the limit for SV can be more than 3 , as long the SV are followed the flow from that map.
Seph
wow so no one really got my point, whatever have it your way
Topic Starter
Lally
explain your point better then
show more