forum

Cowboy Bebop

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Apex_old
Finished the first 10 episodes and I'm giving it a 11.

Oh, and Cowboy Bebop shit on 70% of the shonen/action film there is out there.

OST = jazzy awesomeness.
ampzz
You see... Cowboy Bebop was a series made when ideas were actually original with no other titles to copy/paste general ideas or character types from, plus there wasn't the stereotypical otaku bait that happens in anime of now. e.g. Using moe characters to bring in the viewers instead of focusing on story execution and character development/s.

As a friend and I have stated from day one of Shakugan no Shana randomly being a hit, "When in doubt just use a short, pettanko tsundere!"

With Cowboy Bebop, you have an interesting sci-fi theme as the base for the story and also containing an interesting character line-up that get themselves in to/ out of various situations. All of this being wrapped up with correctly placed comedic aspects that don't feel out of place within all the seriousness that the series eventually gets to.
Topic Starter
Apex_old
The scriptwriting section of Cowboy Bebop was quite unique.

There are 6 individual scriptwriters, with the lead scriptwriter being keiko Nobumoto, afterwards, they combine their scripts together. So it's like a collab.

Wannna collab anyone? I got some good ideas, an IQ of 150, and I had read enough classics to fill a...uhm...a...bookcase(sorry, not enough to fill a boat)
Mogsy
It also helps that the universe feels like a living, breathing universe thanks to the successful collaboration of writers. There are only 5 episodes of straight-up overarching plot in the entire series, leaving the other 21 episodes to expand on character development, explore interesting aspects of this universe, and just have fun. There's only one episode in the entire series that doesn't work at all (episode 21, if I recall the numbers correctly; Boogie Woogie Feng Shui), but every other episode more than makes up for it.

Also, while everyone mentions the soundtrack by itself usually, it's great to see how the music and direction are completely linked. If Cowboy Bebop didn't have the music and the animation direction to go along with the music, it wouldn't be the same. Since Kanno's score adds so much to each of the individual scenes.
adam2046

ampzz wrote:

You see... Cowboy Bebop was a series made when ideas were actually original with no other titles to copy/paste general ideas or character types from, plus there wasn't the stereotypical otaku bait that happens in anime of now. e.g. Using moe characters to bring in the viewers instead of focusing on story execution and character development/s.
Is that /s a sarcasm mark?
awp
Yeah this show was great. Every episode had its own sort of personality to it as well
Topic Starter
Apex_old
You're gonna carry that weight.