forum

When is the "right time" to start mapping?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
thiorange
Just curious on everyone's thoughts on diving into mapping. Should I have played X amount of hours, or perhaps achieved a certain ranking? Or should mapping be viewed as an entirely different skill? I'm just concerned I don't have enough understanding of the game itself to even begin trying out mapping.
Zelzatter Zero
the only answer is "now".

tho you can play others' maps to see what is good and what isn't, but that can be done during the process of mapping.
lewski
Mapping is a different skill, but experience with playing the game definitely helps you know what the stuff you make actually feels like in gameplay. There's no real point in waiting before you start mapping if you're interested right now, though, it's not like you'll lose anything by trying it out.

Here's my advice: The most efficient way to start learning is to map stuff you can play and play the maps you make. See if the map plays how you thought it would, and if it doesn't, try to figure out how to get closer to that idea. Also, if there are any maps that you especially like playing, try to play them while paying special attention to what the map is making you do. You can also look at them in the editor to see how exactly the parts you like were made.
McEndu
Even when you do not have sound skills this is ok
Topic Starter
thiorange
Alright I'm convinced, I'll bite the bullet and fiddle around with mapping. I like the idea of taking inspiration from other maps. Thanks all!
Arccanist
you can start mapping anytime, but if you dedicated to learn you'll see how hard mapping it is, and mapping is very time consuming, especially you can't just place circles and sliders whatever you want in editor, their are lot of elements to hear such as instrumentals or vocals. But I think most of them will help you mapping. You can get mentor :D