forum

Question for flashlight players.

posted
Total Posts
show more
Winshley
I actually did MillhioreF suggestion #2 before (only on couple of maps), but never on #1. :P

Most of time I always grind all the way, which explains the massive play count I have... :o
Topic Starter
Almost
I've played the map I'm trying to finish with flashlight so many times that putting my gamma to the highest makes me play worse. The ideas you suggested are fine but playing full legit has a much better feel to it when you actually finish the song.

Winshley wrote:

I actually did MillhioreF suggestion #2 before (only on couple of maps), but never on #1. :P
I just did #2, I SS'd the very last part first go, but I can't do it normally. :(
VoidnOwO
:)
silmarilen
my 700+ combo FL HD score was done without any tricks (even without the gamma trick) but most of my more recent ones are done with gamma, never used any of the things mill said
Topic Starter
Almost

BRBP wrote:

Yeah... Good job on FL scores that don't even go past 300 combo.
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/146394&m=0 Yeah don't go past 300 combo... Just going to add in that I don't like playing anything over 3 minutes no mod so playing something over 3 minutes with FL would be torture for me.
VoidnOwO
Just going to add in that

Almost wrote:

Because people aren't reading the question... This post is about concentration not how to play FL. I already know how to learn the song with FL.
Topic Starter
Almost

BRBP wrote:

Just going to add in that

Almost wrote:

Because people aren't reading the question... This post is about concentration not how to play FL. I already know how to learn the song with FL.
People don't seem to read the OP.
Winshley
I'm still unsure whether watching the screen from higher angle (by tilting down the monitor) considered gamma tweak, because half of my plays use the trick.

I never fiddle around the graphic settings (you can't even do a thing if the laptop manufacturer disables those settings driver-wise, and I can't use original drivers because of conflict with hotkey software). Even if it's from desktop monitor, I only set it at comfortable level (for all-time regular PC usage, I mean).

For sure, I never used all the tricks on maps listed on my Best Performance list and Most Played list, with exception to Ai Otsuka - Cherish [Hard] where I practiced with the Flashlight cursor.
Icyteru
If you're bored playing flashlight, then you shouldn't be playing it at all.
djjsixpack

[AirCoN] wrote:

Heh. Flashlight makes me rage, but at least it's never boring.

As for the OP, I just play the map over and over until I get it. That's pretty much it. I keep mental notes of hard parts and do my best to not confuse them in other parts of the map. Some maps take a while but that's pretty much the only way to do it. For me it's about how comfortable I am with the map that determines whether or not I break concentration, which is only fixed by playing the map more.
Topic Starter
Almost

[AirCoN] wrote:

I'm not bored of playing FL in general, it's more the fact that I get bored of repeating the whole first half of the map so much that my hand moves without any conscious thought during those parts.

djjsixpack wrote:

Heh. Flashlight makes me rage, but at least it's never boring.

As for the OP, I just play the map over and over until I get it. That's pretty much it. I keep mental notes of hard parts and do my best to not confuse them in other parts of the map. Some maps take a while but that's pretty much the only way to do it. For me it's about how comfortable I am with the map that determines whether or not I break concentration, which is only fixed by playing the map more.
Makes me rage as well when I start getting random misses everywhere and spend less time actually making progress.
Topic Starter
Almost
Well it took 3 days with a lot of hours but... http://osu.ppy.sh/b/148082?m=0 :) thanks for everyone's advice.
Icyteru
rofl 0 pp
DeletedUser_613592
z
notnotrusselg
just stick sticky notes on your screen like macacito
Topic Starter
Almost

Babycake wrote:

I did that once, it felt like I was cheating in a way.
-GN

Almost wrote:

I did that once, it felt like I was cheating in a way.
Morals and Flashlight playing are mutually exclusive.
VoidnOwO
:)
Meikyuuiri Tsumi
I just fully concentrate on the falling fruits and nothing else. I just follow my instinct to be honest. Though, while doing this, every tiny sound or anything really that has nothing to do with the game can distract me in an instant. If I make a mistake, I restart and try again.

Try to really really focus on the rhythm. Sometimes, you can be ahead of the notes by anticipating them in your head.
Don't know for sure if you have to have some kind of talent for this or not. Or maybe everyone can do it. *shrugs*
notnotrusselg

BRBP wrote:

Babycake wrote:

Now how does this work? Only the hardest parts of the song or something?
you stick them at the points you keep missing at
Anzo
Y no PP?

Anyways, congrats...
NixXSkate
Sometimes I make a rebounding slider at 1/8s until the combo goes up to 200 for the section thats after the 200 combo in a map for FL practice, so I can skip all that less than 200 combo bullshit.
Topic Starter
Almost

Anzo-nii wrote:

Y no PP?
Because HD HR FL takes no skill.
Macacito
y stick 5000 notes on your monitor and fc fl a marathon as well
Kanye West

Almost wrote:

Anzo-nii wrote:

Y no PP?
how does HD HR FL take no skill? I think it's hard as fuck...
NixXSkate

Kanye West wrote:

Almost wrote:

it's pussy in comparison to DT+FL
unless its a really hard insane, HD+HR+FL is like the most broken and easy way to get pp and points, all you have to do is take some time to memorize it. the HR is nice enough to make the AR high so you won't be clicking invisible notes much.
Topic Starter
Almost

NixXSkate wrote:

Kanye West wrote:

unless its a really hard insane, HD+HR+FL is like the most broken and easy way to get pp and points, all you have to do is take some time to memorize it. the HR is nice enough to make the AR high so you won't be clicking invisible notes much.
This so much. Also, I find it easier than playing HD+FL because of smaller circles.
Tidek

NixXSkate wrote:

I love when FL haters are mad ;D (and the most funny part is that 90% of them dont even play FL)
Why dont u play DT+HR? DT+HD is for pussies.
Topic Starter
Almost

Tidek wrote:

NixXSkate wrote:

I love when FL haters are mad ;D (and the most funny part is that 90% of them dont even play FL)
Why dont u play DT+HR? DT+HD is for pussies.
I'm pretty sure NixXSkate has FL scores...
Winshley
NixXSkate prefers having SSes as well though, and he hates retrying map a bunch of times.
Macacito
yes hr makes fl easier
Kanye West

NixXSkate wrote:

if you're even considering DT+FL, then you're only talking about easy insanes

if HDHRFL is easier than HDFL then why don't non-DTable insanes have HDHRFL scores but they have HDFL scores?
Macacito
hdhrfl is easier to sightread fl and harder to aim and acc
dtfl is way harder (isnt it obvious?)
Kanye West
aim and accuracy take skill

Almost wrote:

i was answering to this point, and i call bullshit on that

and obviously DTFL is harder, if not impossible on most actual insanes, as in not a shitty insane where the entire scoreboard is full of HDDT scores
Macacito

Kanye West wrote:

as in not a shitty insane where the entire scoreboard is full of HDDT scores
hey this one was pretty hard ): https://osu.ppy.sh/s/65146
Wishy
If you think HR HD FL takes no skill it's because you're playing flashlighting REALLY easy maps.
buny

Wishy wrote:

If you think HR HD FL takes no skill it's because you're playing flashlighting REALLY easy maps.
I should get more points because i breath while playing a map and breathing takes more skill
NixXSkate

Kanye West wrote:

NixXSkate wrote:

if you're even considering DT+FL, then you're only talking about easy insanes

if HDHRFL is easier than HDFL then why don't non-DTable insanes have HDHRFL scores but they have HDFL scores?
that's why i said unless it's a really hard insane. i'm referring to maps that are DT-able.

also, i'm not saying that HD+HR+FL is easier than HD+FL, but on maps with AR that isn't high that you can FC consistently with both HR and without, there isn't much of a difficulty change between the two. in pp whoring, HD+HR+FL is definitely taking the easy way for lots of pp.

i have so much higher of a respect for players that DT+FL maps in comparison to those who HD+HR+FL.
for example, which score deserves #1 here more? Rucker's or ykcarrot's?
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/20177&m=0
Kanye West
Well that map is kind of a bad example because it has no jumps, no ar10 and no od10 so hdhrfl is much easier just because its slower.

But what about a dt-able insane with, say ar8 or 9 and od7 or 8 with jumps? I still think a high accuracy hdhrfl is more impressive than dtfl because of how much harder it is to aim and get good accuracy. But it still depends on the map.

Generally, dt is a lot easier to get good accuracy with than hdhr as long as you're fast enough.
NixXSkate

Kanye West wrote:

Well that map is kind of a bad example because it has no jumps, no ar10 and no od10 so hdhrfl is much easier just because its slower.

But what about a dt-able insane with, say ar8 or 9 and od7 or 8 with jumps? I still think a high accuracy hdhrfl is more impressive than dtfl because of how much harder it is to aim and get good accuracy. But it still depends on the map.

Generally, dt is a lot easier to get good accuracy with than hdhr as long as you're fast enough.
i disagree, but anyway we're talking about with FL here. no offense but i don't see you with many FL scores so i don't think you realize how much harder it is to process knowing where the next note is with a map over 210 bpm. just because someone is a pro FL player doesn't mean they're like Bikko and have the entire map in their memory, it's a shitload of recall which is 10x harder on fast maps. hidden on any map with 10 AR isn't as big of a deal because the notes don't disappear really early then. also keep in mind of how much easier it is to hit accurately for someone who has memorized a map. the biggest thing that throws off a flashlight player's accuracy isn't the map but rather keeping a FC, which is harder with DT+FL than HD+HR+FL.
here's an example that fulfills your needs:
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/43197
which score is more impressive? Turkey's or Mesita's score? (watch the replays before giving an answer)
show more