1. osu! forums
  2. osu!
  3. Feature Requests
  4. Completed Requests
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +18
posted
Well, some guys told me (obviously not in English) that they want to see the ranking of their friends, but they're not supporters, and due to currency issue, supporting osu! for several years could be quite expensive to these folks.

So I'm thinking about requesting this feature to open up to non-supporters, since this feature can be used very often.

I'm ok with leaving same mod as supporter only, as that doesn't seem to affect as much people as this one.

In fact, I do know a guy who interprets the supporter-only charts as a kind of discrimination to non-supporters. There might be some dudes that thinks the same, I don't know... Just saying. :P
posted
support
posted

B-52 wrote:

In fact, I do know a guy who interprets the supporter-only charts as a kind of discrimination to non-supporters. There might be some dudes that thinks the same, I don't know... Just saying. :P
That's pretty silly. This is not a feature that affects any of the gameplay and as such being exclusive to those with supporter status is perfectly justified.

I'm neither for or against, but I do believe the reason for it being this way is due to server load, so I'm not expecting this to go through either way.
posted
how could you not let them get money, without supporters osu! server can't be running

233
posted
peppy has said in the announcement thread several of the new features are being tested to see how they effect server load and so are being kept to supporters only for now.

I don't really think a specific request is needed as he will change it when he feels the time for it is right, but I guess I will just leave this here for now.
posted

boat wrote:

That's pretty silly. This is not a feature that affects any of the gameplay and as such being exclusive to those with supporter status is perfectly justified.

I'm neither for or against, but I do believe the reason for it being this way is due to server load, so I'm not expecting this to go through either way.
Well, I am mostly agree, the reason that guy gave was that displaying some "supporter only" feature on main menu is something that not supposed to happen. And you can't claim the game to be free when seeing buttons saying "this is supporter only" from everywhere.

I can't say that the point he made makes no sense at all... that's a tricky stuff.


James2250 wrote:

peppy has said in the announcement thread several of the new features are being tested to see how they effect server load and so are being kept to supporters only for now.

I don't really think a specific request is needed as he will change it when he feels the time for it is right, but I guess I will just leave this here for now.
I mean, it's almost a month away, so I guess making a thread for this might be a good idea... At least telling him that this should be of some higher priority than other ranking charts, like country ranking (maybe) or ranking of same mods.
posted

B-52 wrote:

Well, I am mostly agree, the reason that guy gave was that displaying some "supporter only" feature on main menu is something that not supposed to happen. And you can't claim the game to be free when seeing buttons saying "this is supporter only" from everywhere.
The game is for free, what are you saying. Supporter are given more privileges than normal users SINCE they donate money, hence helping the server run, FOR FREE, for non-supporters. But then again you're not obligated to buy a supporter tag.

About your request its not yet open to the public as its about the server load, and its pretty much experimental for now.
posted

Seph wrote:

The game is for free, what are you saying. Supporter are given more privileges than normal users SINCE they donate money, hence helping the server run, FOR FREE, for non-supporters. But then again you're not obligated to buy a supporter tag.

About your request its not yet open to the public as its about the server load, and its pretty much experimental for now.
I know... That's a point of view from one of my acquaintance, and it wasn't in English. Since he made such comments towards this topic, I guess maybe I could include this kind of view here.

I'm just saying that some dudes feel uncomfortable to see supporter only feature appearing on main menu (as if it's doing some kind of advertisements), and a supporter may be kinda expensive for them, due to currency issue.

I mean, they actually can afford the cost, but they have to save a little bit, and that doesn't really feel like voluntary, since that's not their spare money.
posted
How about you buy that supporter for them instead? Problem solved.
posted
Well,I don't care :D
posted
This feature was missing for a very long time, and now that it's added, non-supporters can't play without it?
Doesn't make sense.
posted
I can't agree with your perspective that having some features restricted to paid users (in this case because it uses a lot of processing power, requiring extra servers) makes osu! no longer a free game. osu! is a free game but relies on people willing to pay to keep running. No one is forcing you to pay.
posted

Mara wrote:

How about you buy that supporter for them instead? Problem solved.
I'm not that rich...

BRBP wrote:

This feature was missing for a very long time, and now that it's added, non-supporters can't play without it?
Doesn't make sense.
Um, it's not about these guys can't play without it... Anyways...

peppy wrote:

I can't agree with your perspective that having some features restricted to paid users (in this case because it uses a lot of processing power, requiring extra servers) makes osu! no longer a free game. osu! is a free game but relies on people willing to pay to keep running. No one is forcing you to pay.
Come on... That wasn't my point of view, I just did some quote and translation.

OK, let me explain for a bit. That guy is basically interpreting the supporter-only feature in game as a kind of advert, so exactly, no one is forcing anyone to pay, but it's gonna mean nothing to him. On the other hand, once developing this kind of interpretation, he won't make this request at all. In fact, you can never persuade these dudes to believe that the supporter-only features are really not adverts. As for me, I don't really care about this, but I mean, I know the way he thinks, and I can't convince him that he was totally wrong.

Well, I understand what you're undertaking. Since most of the non-supporters are pretty much feeling "it's better to have, but still ok if not". So just take your time. :P
posted
then why the feature request if his means nothing to them..
posted
a) this isn't a feature request. it's a change of policy.
b) not all feature requests are accepted. it depends on what we believe is the correct direction for the game.
Please sign in to reply.