forum

[Mapping] DON'T COMPLETELY DELETE MAP FILES. EVER

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
MrHigh
Hello, I just accidentally opened an old version of a map I'm working on and lost 2 hours of extremely tedious progress. If there was a feature that instead of completely and totally deleting a map file when a map of a new version/difficulty is opened it just sent it to the recycle bin or such, I (and others I'm sure) would very much appreciate it.

P.S. This is the 2nd time I've had one of my map versions deleted by accident because of Osu!'s tendency to utterly decimate and completely destroy "old" maps (which may not even be old, just a different version of the same difficulty name) when a "new" map is opened.

Please. For the love of all that is good, just send the file to the f&@#ing recycle bin. It will save my and others sanity.

What I did:
*Have two map versions with the same difficulty name
*Accidentally open .osu file of old difficulty
-> The newer map was completely deleted; not even placed in the recycle bin. I'm currently trying a file restorer program, but we'll see if that works.

EDIT: Not even a file-restore works, what the hell peppy?? It's a map difficulty, not nuclear launch codes!
JustABeginner
Hi MrHigh!

First of all, why did you name the same difficulty on both files - old and new? If you know the first time it happened like that, you should change the way how you handle it. As the saying goes, "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." You should be the one who's fooling.

Second of all, starting things with foul language. Please be a little more polite next time.
abraker
I am confused how this happened. I imagine you either

1) Opened the old difficulty, remapped into a new one, and accidently reopened the old difficulty again without saving the changes.

2) Opened old difficulty, created a new difficulty with same difficulty name, mapped, and accidently reopened the old difficulty.

For either cases the map files were never deleted, instead new diff was never saved. Suffice to say, don't name different versions of the map with same difficulty name.