forum

Question for advanced players.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
NoJoke_old_1
I've recently been choosing my maps by random and always having DT on and it seems to help me improve for when I go on more advanced maps.

However, this is where the real problem comes in. I can complete the maps however I cannot maintain a combo for the life of me due to sliders. I would hit the slider correctly but sometimes I would move too fast past the slider due to the pace of the music or the pace of the map itself causing me to loose my combo.

This hasn't happened before until lately. Perhaps does anyone have any tips to progress with sliders on DT medium/hards?

Edit:

The only way I can maintain a combo is adding in SD and keep trying over and over until I actually maintain a consistent combo. I'm the type of player that enjoys competitive matches in MP - when I join in and start playing with others I'm always last because I tend to always loose my combos for this particular reason and I must say it's quite discouraging.
Lance
Practice. Some people hold down both keys during sliders to prevent slider breaks. That may help. Really you should just try to play insanes. Playing with DT too much makes you unable to play lower ARs at all and doesn't help with intricate beat patterns like Emotional Skyscraper and the such.
Topic Starter
NoJoke_old_1

Lance wrote:

Practice. Some people hold down both keys during sliders to prevent slider breaks. That may help. Really you should just try to play insanes. Playing with DT too much makes you unable to play lower ARs at all and doesn't help with intricate beat patterns like Emotional Skyscraper and the such.
Thanks for the tip! I was previously told to use DT for practice and well, it got me to a higher gameplay level than I was able to do. I only used to be able to do 1-3 star maps, now I can do all the way to 4's and some 5's in a 24-hour timeframe. I had a free day off today so I've been playing for around 8.5 hours now.

However I only use my mouse and I do manage pretty well however would you suggest using my mouse to path and my keys to actually hit?

Edit:

Last question, most insanes I cannot pass even the very beginning due to it's immense speed which is why I was running DT to get used to it. Should I play them anyways until I get used to it or keep doing what I'm doing?
Almost

NoJoke wrote:

Lance wrote:

Thanks for the tip! I was previously told to use DT for practice and well, it got me to a higher gameplay level than I was able to do. I only used to be able to do 1-3 star maps, now I can do all the way to 4's and some 5's in a 24-hour timeframe. I had a free day off today so I've been playing for around 8.5 hours now.

However I only use my mouse and I do manage pretty well however would you suggest using my mouse to path and my keys to actually hit?
There is no real "right" way of playing, just play however you feel comfortable. DT is fine for practice because playing faster generally means being able to play faster maps but try to play without DT and use HD and HR instead.
Topic Starter
NoJoke_old_1

Almost wrote:

There is no real "right" way of playing, just play however you feel comfortable. DT is fine for practice because playing faster generally means being able to play faster maps but try to play without DT and use HD and HR instead.
Thanks for your response as well.

Perhaps you guys would have a good moderately easy insane map? Something for first-timers for the insane level which isn't something like The Big Black for example. Not looking to farm PP, just wanting to actually achieve the goal of passing an insane map and progressing my personal experience.
Lance
Play whatever maps you find fun. That is what osu! should be about. If you want to progress more quickly, though, play things that challenge you. When they aren't challenging anymore, find something else that is. Just don't get caught up in numbers and rankings. Too many people get caught up in them nowadays.
Topic Starter
NoJoke_old_1

Lance wrote:

Play whatever maps you find fun. That is what osu! should be about. If you want to progress more quickly, though, play things that challenge you. When they aren't challenging anymore, find something else that is. Just don't get caught up in numbers and rankings. Too many people get caught up in them nowadays.
Occasionally I will try to get in the top ranks for lower maps (easy/normals) to warm up for about a hour (always DT + HD + HR). However as I said that's for warm ups and gradually move my way back up to harder maps.

I guess I'll browse through what I have and find an insane map to practice on since I can do quite a few hard maps :3 I guess some hard maps are similar to insanes seeing I've played one insane which I nearly beat yet I go to a certain hard and it's x2 harder if not harder. I assume it's all about the BPM. I need to find an insane with the BPM I currently average and keep practicing I assume.

Thank you guys so much for the help! I hope all of this information in this thread can assist newer players as well...if they use the search button...
Almost

NoJoke wrote:

Lance wrote:

Occasionally I will try to get in the top ranks for lower maps (easy/normals) to warm up for about a hour (always DT + HD + HR). However as I said that's for warm ups and gradually move my way back up to harder maps.

I guess I'll browse through what I have and find an insane map to practice on since I can do quite a few hard maps :3 I guess some hard maps are similar to insanes seeing I've played one insane which I nearly beat yet I go to a certain hard and it's x2 harder if not harder. I assume it's all about the BPM. I need to find an insane with the BPM I currently average and keep practicing I assume.

Thank you guys so much for the help! I hope all of this information in this thread can assist newer players as well...if they use the search button...
Insanes are very different to hards actually. Some easy insanes I know off the top of my head are http://osu.ppy.sh/s/45720, http://osu.ppy.sh/b/201535 and http://osu.ppy.sh/b/161850.
djjsixpack
I used to get the problem of breaking sliders, but since I started just alternating sliders rather than singling them, it's pretty much disappeared. But other players single them as well, so it all comes down to practice, but that might help you since it helped me.
Topic Starter
NoJoke_old_1

Almost wrote:

Insanes are very different to hards actually. Some easy insanes I know off the top of my head are http://osu.ppy.sh/s/45720, http://osu.ppy.sh/b/201535 and http://osu.ppy.sh/b/161850.
Thanks for the songs!
Topic Starter
NoJoke_old_1

djjsixpack wrote:

I used to get the problem of breaking sliders, but since I started just alternating sliders rather than singling them, it's pretty much disappeared. But other players single them as well, so it all comes down to practice, but that might help you since it helped me.
It sounds so cliché when people say to practice but it's the only way to get it down I assume. Practice here I come! ^_^
boat
What else do you think there is to it? A secret cookiezi technique to not sliderbreak? It's always about practice and nothing but it.
jesse1412

boat wrote:

What else do you think there is to it? A secret cookiezi technique to not sliderbreak? It's always about practice and nothing but it.
lol no1 told him how not 2 slider brk yet? hahaah
boat

jesus1412 wrote:

boat wrote:

lol no1 told him how not 2 slider brk yet? hahaah
Oh yeah, that one. The one they call "don't fucking sliderbreak".
Wishy
Playing DT constantly does help a lot, yet it is normal that you will get misses/breaks everywhere because you are playing stuff that is just too hard.

What you want to be is not "super fast" but consistent. Try getting FCs every now and then either using DT or HR (or nomod if the map is hard enough) AND have fun improving by playing super hard maps you can barely pass. I used to play very hard DTs all the time and now I can't get a single FC on anything because I keep getting random breaks because my movements are not accurate enough since I never really practiced that.
ryza
everyone knows forumwhores suck at the game

that's why they browse the forums

(so why are you coming here for help)

Also, there is no method to getting better at something other than just doing it. Although generally playing with keyboard is much much easier for most people, so you probably want to look into that.

Silynn wrote:

You know what, I was about to suggest you to ask some folks via in game chat, then I decided to checked your user page... and I changed my mind.
You should start playing some harder beatmaps, like 5-star hard ones. try different beatmaps, and when you feel that you can, try hyper and insane. Keep on practice, and you may be able to play some lunatic ones, and then another. After that, you're right on your way.

But before that, I'll give you a suggested mouse setting:

Particularly, make sure that the "Enhance precision" stuff is disabled, cause that's gonna make your mouse accelerated, and not fully predictable.
Topic Starter
NoJoke_old_1

B-52 wrote:

Silynn wrote:

You know what, I was about to suggest you to ask some folks via in game chat, then I decided to checked your user page... and I changed my mind.
You should start playing some harder beatmaps, like 5-star hard ones. try different beatmaps, and when you feel that you can, try hyper and insane. Keep on practice, and you may be able to play some lunatic ones, and then another. After that, you're right on your way.

But before that, I'll give you a suggested mouse setting:

Particularly, make sure that the "Enhance precision" stuff is disabled, cause that's gonna make your mouse accelerated, and not fully predictable.
Silynn, if I'm a forum whore and I'm posting here for help and forum whores are bad you should re-check my post count. I've only been in the community for a year and I have under 30 posts. If that's a forum whore then I don't know what is.

Now, B-52.

This is one of my recent performances on one of my favorite warm-up maps, however I notice that my mess-ups are just milliseconds off. I know it's not out of my league, however if I'm going to get better at this game I have to practice on something and this is generally my warm up map when I first wake up.

I'll try new mouse settings as well, however it seems I may need to start on something slower and work my way up. I've asked a lot of people this and I'll ask it one more time; would you prefer when you were getting better to use the mouse only or the keyboard to press and the mouse to stream? I've been personally only using my mouse. Using my keyboard seems awkward at times but if I need to learn it to get better please let me know.

I've also been told getting used to HD would help me in the longrun as well, is this true?

Edit: I've been using the same mouse settings as you.
Frostmourne
first thing is I suggest you starting osu by disabling destop composition and visual themes
(they are seen in "click-right on the osu icon and propertie then choose the tab "Compatibility" and you will see these tickbox to uncheck as well)

It will reduce the delay that windows7 (probably) will slow down your movement and hitting while playing.

It has helped me a lot much much a lot so you can improve by this method as well (I was stuck in delaying mode for 2 years and I had just spent only 2-3 months improving myself widely in this period)

another tips are not nothing else but non-stop practicing
Topic Starter
NoJoke_old_1

Frostmourne wrote:

first thing is I suggest you starting osu by disabling destop composition and visual themes
(they are seen in "click-right on the osu icon and propertie then choose the tab "Compatibility" and you will see these tickbox to uncheck as well)

It will reduce the delay that windows7 (probably) will slow down your movement and hitting while playing.

It has helped me a lot much much a lot so you can improve by this method as well (I was stuck in delaying mode for 2 years and I had just spent only 2-3 months improving myself widely in this period)

another tips are not nothing else but non-stop practicing
That's exactly what I'm doing =) I'll try disabling some options and see what I can get from it. Thanks for the tip! Hope some other people that are stuck in my place can get some help out of this thread as well. That was the whole purpose, somebody had to make one eventually and I'm sure they have in the past however it's best to have a fresh one out there.
winber1
how close am i to forumwhoring
buny

winber1 wrote:

how close am i to forumwhoring
i'd say you're just an apprentice
CXu

Silynn wrote:

Also, there is no method to getting better at something other than just doing it. Although generally playing with keyboard is much much easier for most people, so you probably want to look into that.
On a completely unrelated note: avatar soscary :o

NoJoke wrote:

I'll try new mouse settings as well, however it seems I may need to start on something slower and work my way up. I've asked a lot of people this and I'll ask it one more time; would you prefer when you were getting better to use the mouse only or the keyboard to press and the mouse to stream? I've been personally only using my mouse. Using my keyboard seems awkward at times but if I need to learn it to get better please let me know.

I've also been told getting used to HD would help me in the longrun as well, is this true?

Edit: I've been using the same mouse settings as you.
Sorry for late reply
Um, mouse only is a hard nut, and many notable mouse only players turned to keyboard+tablet eventually, like Shaggon and Shizuru-.
There are several different combinations of mouse/tablet+keyboard, the most common one is mouse/tablet aiming, and keyboard tapping. Some of them use full-time alternative, like SiLviA.
I would suggest you to try a so-called azuki style, which means mouse tapping for single notes, and keyboard for streaming. That's easier to practice. Jappybabes was using such skill till he changed his mouse to tablet (partly because tapping on mouse is way too different from tapping on tablet).
On the other hand, you can also use such streaming skill as k2+m1, and do all the other stuff by mouse only. Peachick is such a player.

As for HD mod, um, this is a popular mod, and it really helps when you find it hard to read AR10 or higher. But before that, I would suggest you to use some transparent hitcircles, like the one cr1m is using. That's helpful for HD reading.

...and, um, as a matter of fact, I'm a tablet player. _(:з」∠)_
ethox
If you want consistency in your play, try maps with smaller than average circles. It doesn't need to be fast, just enough for you to learn your cursor control. Hard Rock modifier is an easy way to achieve this. Hidden on the other hand improves your abilities on jumping, as you need to move your cursor faster than the map requires. Especially good on lower approach rate.

If you feel like you face a wall in your skill when moving up to harder and harder songs, just play a couple of days maps you know you are unable full combo and improve your scores on those. Double time is a pretty meh mod in my opinion. It mainly focuses your concentration on patterns since you need to be able to go through them faster. It's a good to play with it if you struggle with squares, stacking (ie. notes under sliders) and other weird patterns. I hope people won't go all nuts; DT improves your speed and a little of stamina, but seriously, you will get the same thing by simply playing faster songs while not raping slower ones up.

Flashlight is for clowns because I can't play it

TL;DR resorting to DT is narrow-minded unless you don't find faster songs attractive for you

Playing every day decreases the downtime and less of the practice goes to waste. Some people improve over longer pauses in playing, but mostly it just hinders progression.

eeditto: dem typos
Kanye West

ethox wrote:

gamma
Winshley

Kanye West wrote:

ethox wrote:

gamma
Is tilting the monitor downward (so that you can see things a little brighter by watching it from upwards) considered gamma tweak though? I never do anything else than that for my Flashlight plays... :?