forum

Top 25 Players of 2012 (osu! Standard) Video Discussion!

posted
Total Posts
show more
Apricot

Kairi wrote:

@ 3:08
You should of had recorded that one long-stream part of Icarus instead. (hardest part of the map)
Anticloud
finally comes out and seems not bad
shycjd
some of the most famous replays weren't be chosen to top players' ability.
I hope the video next year could be better.
MillhioreF
The players in the video were asked to give replays that they wanted shown. So some of them ended up as dumb FL plays or bad examples (White Wolf picked Rubik's Cube? Really?)
JappyBabes

MillhioreF wrote:

The players in the video were asked to give replays that they wanted shown. So some of them ended up as dumb FL plays or bad examples (White Wolf picked Rubik's Cube? Really?)
well in all likelihood, there are probably some scores that you're thinking of, but are from 2013. but yeah some didn't seem right.
Kanye West
I also had to deny a lot of good ones because they were in 2013. A notable exception though was Cookiezi's Freedom Dive, which he FC'd in 2012 but improved in 2013, making it impossible to record the 2012 FC.
fartownik

MillhioreF wrote:

Yeah, was wondering about this too. Also Dungeon has plenty of superb insane HR or DT scores, yet there's an FL record in his replay.

I liked the video in general, good commentary, certain ideas implemented this year such as the player's skins and the playstyle. But some things were just bugging me that I gotta report it here. The places from #25 to #6 drain about half of the entire video's time, rest is #5 to #1. Why? Isn't the difference between scores quality enough to judge the player's skill? I think everyone should've been given same amount of replays and time to be shown (maybe a little bit more for the certain top10 or top5, but not as much as it's been done). Also the replays sometimes lasted too long or were too short (e.g. thelewa's No Pain No Game replay - 1 minute 20 seconds; White Wolf's Astrosexy replay - 20 seconds).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to complain pointlessly, it's just a reminder for the next year. This is still good work for such short amount of time given from Miracle Lotus. Enjoyed watching the video, especially Niko's part lol.
JAKACHAN

fartownik wrote:

especially Niko's part lol.
White Wolf is pleased.

Seriously though good job Miracle Lotus on pushing out this video so fast. I didn't even realize it was happening until I logged on today XD
Kanye West
white wolf for sexiest voice EU
Topic Starter
Miracle Lotus
To asnwer the questions, I was asked to provide 30 seconds for every play up to #6.
Though it was hard for me to pick the parts since I'm mostly unfamiliar with the maps, especially ShadowSoul's.
I couldn't add more to Astrosexy due to rendering issues.

I was told to put specific replays asked by the players themselves.
Darksonic
wobeinimacao's skin link is not working, same with Shiruzu's one.
primrose
Reupload shizuru-'s skin please, It is not working at all.
Topic Starter
Miracle Lotus

Awoken- wrote:

Reupload shizuru-'s skin please, It is not working at all.

Darksonic wrote:

wobeinimacao's skin link is not working, same with Shiruzu's one.
Both of those skins were down to begin with.
idk why Kanye put them there, lmao.

wobeinimacao's skin the video was actually the skin I'm using.
Sinch

Kairi wrote:

@ 3:08
You should of had recorded that one long-stream part of Icarus instead. (hardest part of the map)
Aqo

MillhioreF wrote:

examples (White Wolf picked Rubik's Cube? Really?)
Dude this map is hard as hell and he 1x100 1x50 it. That's friggin crazy
It doesn't even have top50 FCs. In fact it has... 3 FCs.

+1 to showing the 250bpm stream on icarus. I facepalm'd when it wasn't the selected part
Wishy
I guess it's just me but I got bored after 3 or 4 minutes and just jumped to #2 and #1.

Suggestions for the next video:

Don't constantly show the playstyle through the whole play, same with the flag. Using another "style" to constantly show the username + flag (I think the one they used for the 2010 or 2011 video was nice) may look better.

I also think it would be better to use the ignore skin/hitsounds option on each replay but I'm not really sure about it (nor I know if it was used anyways).

Awesome job tho, it's great that you used each player's skin and asked them what replay they would like to be shown, even if I don't like some of the choices it's cool to see what are they favorite plays.
Apocalypse_old
wow what a nice FL player Dungeon! Wait..

wt?

Anyway, good job~ especially the skin ;)
CXu
Yay for actually making it into the vid, lol.
Metro
Great commentary on Niko. Good video.
Topic Starter
Miracle Lotus

Aqo wrote:

+1 to showing the 250bpm stream on icarus. I facepalm'd when it wasn't the selected part
I didn't know the map at all, so I just put in something quickly.
Soly
silmarilen

Soly wrote:

Good job on making the video, however I highly dislike the use of custom skins. The original default is and always will be the best. By having random skins all the time I didn't really feel like it was portraying to me each persons skill, it honestly looked like the same person was playing each song and it didn't have that "osu" feel. At least with the default skin it's visually more exciting and by keeping consistency you can actually see slight cursor movement changes that make that player unique. The hit sounds were weak and timid, it didn't make crazy patterns or fast sections seem impactful or impressive. Kudos for trying something different though.
if anything the current video shows it better because this is the actual skin the people use when playing, not some "random skin" like you say.

The commentary was quite bland. Well informative, they didn't sound very excited at all. There was weak hype and weak exaggeration of a players abilities. If I were new to this game, this video would not make me feel inspired and would not fill me with a burning desire to become a good player. Nor did it excite me in any way.

I felt like the majority of the map choices were poor and and short, this didn't showcase the players abilities at all. Having 25 top players is too much, this decreased the screen time for everyone by a lot and gave everyone 5 seconds to show off, which is so little that all it does is make that player seem like filler until you get to the end. As Wishy said above, it makes you just want to skip right to towards the end.
the maps were picked by the players, not the people who made the video. and 25 minutes is already a really long video. it is true that some replays could've been done on different places (serea's icarus has been named already)

I did like how you put the play style and country flag on the screen, so that's a positive. And it does look like you've put a lot of effort into making this video, so thank you for the time and effort you put into this.
buschauffeur
I agree on the skin matter.
buny
skin should be what the player is using, since they're the one playing

if you want default then go watch auto
Soly

Soly wrote:

Most/nearly all custom skins look like shit.
That's what you think, not the users. The hitsounds are clear and easy to recognize, so they can make slight adjustment to their hand speed to prevent 100s. Also, transparent 300s would make the map easier to read. That's all about performance. Good-looking must give way. It's good for Lotus to show us in exactly the way these pro players read the beatmaps. If you don't like it, then just watch the full replay by yourself. No one is stoping you from doing that.

Soly wrote:

New players can't even see the 300's and most likely won't even know what's going on.
Are you kidding me? Expecting these folks to even follow the cursor from the replay of rrtyui playing the big black? with whatever skin you like. I'll tell you what, they can't. This video is NOT for real new players from the very beginning.
buny

Soly wrote:

buny wrote:

skin should be what the player is using, since they're the one playing

if you want default then go watch auto
Most/nearly all custom skins look like shit because they're just a bunch of stolen random skin elements and hit sounds slapped together (often with sub-par quality images due to a lack of photoshop knowledge). There's no theme or consistency as said above which makes the video overall look highly unprofessional. New players can't even see the 300's and most likely won't even know what's going on. Also, only by comparing with the same skin and hitsounds are you able to actually see and notice different movement and other subtleties.
Why is using multiple skins better?
1) The video is mainly only going to be watched by people that already play osu
2) Respects the players by using their skin in their replay
3) Makes the video look less plain
4) Players will know the play style of the person playing, even what input device they're using to play
5) Even if they look like crap, it's the players skin. Don't like that? Use somebody elses replay.
6) There shouldn't be consistency. They're all different replays with different players
7) A new player wouldn't even know the difference between 300,100 etc.
8) A good player will know the difference of speed between each replays, a bad player won't and a skin won't help them compare the speeds either.
Thatgooey
Even as a newer player, say someone who has only been playing for a few weeks and goes to the forums to find this video of "the best osu players", would probably think it is cool to see what kinds of skins these top players use. I know that when I started out and saw people using all of these custom skins, I was like "that's cool, how do I get skins, how do I get those cursors, why are their hit sounds different, what makes their skin better?". It just got me more interested in osu! knowing that I could adjust and customize my gameplay experience, and not be forced to use a default. Seeing all of the very different skins and play styles of these players is pretty damn cool.

Sure, from the perspective of players who have played this game a long time and are familiar with all of the maps in the video can facepalm a little bit at things like the serea replay not including the stream, or the the replay of niko's Atama run getting cut off right before the squares, but to a new or average player, these replays probably look really amazing. Some of us may know just what Dungeon is capable of (agony HR instantly comes to mind) but roll our eyes at the fact that a flashlight score was the one put in the video. Do you know how ridiculous that probably looks to someone who has been playing for like 2 months? This guy just played a map he can't even see. The notes are invisible, and he can only see this tiny little circle of light on his screen. He just memorized this map and played it perfectly. This guy must be the shit. I'm glad a flashlight replay like this was put in the video, because it makes for a hell of a replay. And based on what everyone is saying, he picked it himself. That is what he is proud of, so let the man be proud damnit. That was the score he probably worked for the most. There are a couple of little things that could have been done differently, but I appreciate the time and effort put into making the video. It turned out pretty damn well!

As someone who has played for over a year now, I think it's a breath of fresh air to see everyone's skins and setups that they play with. People who I look at on the scoreboard every day when I sit down to play and try to see if I can out perform one of them. I thought it was a cool idea to do it this way. Anyone can open up osu! and watch the replay of SapphireGhost playing Talent Shredder, but what the hell does he see when he plays it? Then you find out he has these awesome looking circles and sliders and doesn't even use a cursor. Instead of watching a replay through your everyday setup, showing you what it would look like if you were a top player, you get to see what it looks like from the perspective of that player. It's not just watching a replay, it's watching THEIR replay. Feels more personalized seeing it with their skin and setup rather than your own. Really made the video for me.

Thanks again for the video!
dMaxb
Just finished watching the video and I can say that all my waiting was worth it. I rly love the fact that the players chose the songs and you used their skins :D
Sometimes I hear weird noises after commentaries and videos in the background are sometimes distracting but overall it's got awesome editing and commentaries!!
Thanks for this epic video!
Fenek Alfa
I've just noticed something

2010:
Cookiezi
ShaggoN
Rucker

2011:
Cookiezi
White Wolf
Rucker

2012:
Cookiezi
Niko
rrtyui

Top3 = Cookiezi + a Pole + an Asian

This may be far-fetched, but I forsee Cookiezi, rEDo and azuraer in the 2013's Top3
Wishy
azuraer? lol
Aqo
I foresee that next year Cookiezi will still be korean
Wishy
He could quit right now and I doubt anyone from now to 2015 will get on his lvl.
silmarilen

Wishy wrote:

azuraer? lol
FL masterrace
-GN

silmarilen wrote:

Wishy wrote:

azuraer? lol
FL masterrace
you heard it here first folks
Pacemaker

Fenek Alfa wrote:

rEDo and azuraer in the 2013's Top3
Uhh... mind sharing the theory your predictions are based on?
CXu
Other than the fact that it's rEdo, I agree. All hail the rEdo!
silmarilen
i think worst fl player will be #2
MillhioreF
I out-FL'd azuraer on a map though, that makes me #3
Kanye West
Millhiore will actually be #1 next year.
show more