forum

how to not get your fingers confused?!?!?!?!?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
sCam
I've never played a music instrument before in my life, and it seems, I can't play anything that requires more than two keys. The two keys in the middle, is where most of my problems come from, i can do the corner notes fine, but when it comes to the two keys in the middle like "f" & "j" in Osu mania. or "x" "c" in Taiko, my fingers get confused and i end up clicking the wrong button. Don't even get me started with 7 key osu mania <.<

If I practice, will it stop this? Cause i really like both taiko, and osu mania, but i can't play it. wat do?
Dazzy
Solution: play more!

But seriously, all this comes down to practice and you might even click wrong after thousands of plays! But it will just become less and less the more you play/practice :)
Hanyuu
Try to create a little thought bridge to you. Unlike in taiko every key goes to a certain finger only. Try to think about it as the white one being for the index fingers and the colored notes for the middle fingers, in case of 4k mode. If you go by those colours it helps for starting. If you end up being confused just look at the colour of the note and think back what finger your supposed to use lol
[Shiroyasha]

Dazzy wrote:

Solution: play more!

But seriously, all this comes down to practice and you might even click wrong after thousands of plays! But it will just become less and less the more you play/practice :)
^
this

btw is 7key your main target? cause if it is i hope you don't plan on making 4key, 5key and 6key as a stepping stone. It'll only bring frustration. just jump straight to 7key
Topic Starter
sCam
Thanks for the advice guys :D

now I'm well on my way to becoming an Osu! champion!
Bobbias
Like they said, Practice. Way back when I started o2jam, I had the same issue. It took me a few days, maybe even a week of pretty heavy play on very easy stuff to get past. When you start mania, if you've never played a similar music game before your brain doesnt understand how to play even if you consciously do. what I mean is that even if you know what you're supposed to do, you don't have the instinctive reaction to hit the right key when you see a note. Eventually you will develop this reaction. From what I can tell when someone develops this reaction it causes a pretty quick increase in skill level. In o2jam I went from playing Level 1 and 2 charts to playing up to level 7 or 8 almost instantly once I developed the reaction. That's like going from nearly failing the easiest Easy difficulties here to suddenly getting B's on Normal difficulties.
Amefuri Koneko
Just practice, the most confusing at first will be double and triple presses, you just need to develop your reading and muscle memory, later you will be pressing a series of them without even thinking which finger to use. Don't be tempted by accuracy increase and don't use very high scroll speed at first, make it higher only when you feel comfortable with it.
TamaraMarie
Since everyone pretty much said it already: Practice makes perfect. :D
OzzyOzrock
I've actually studied this in my years of taiko, and noticed that it's normal to mess up more when you begin to think about the notes and how you're playing. If you concentrate on the music and simply let your fingers do the work as you focus on reading the notes, you'll find yourself more calm and hitting the notes will feel more automatic.
Kanye West

OzzyOzrock wrote:

I've actually studied this in my years of taiko, and noticed that it's normal to mess up more when you begin to think about the notes and how you're playing. If you concentrate on the music and simply let your fingers do the work as you focus on reading the notes, you'll find yourself more calm and hitting the notes will feel more automatic.
This is good advice for any game mode.

Except CTB :/
Bobbias

OzzyOzrock wrote:

This is how it should work once you've actually properly learned to play. This page describes the process of learning in the section labeled "Three Stages of Motor Learning": http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Speech-Lan ... nd_Control

We learn new motor skills in three stages:
In the cognitive stage, you observe the target motor skill. For example, your speech-language pathologist demonstrates relaxed breathing.
In the associative stage, you learn to perform and refine the motor skill. You perform the movements under closed-loop control.
In the autonomous stage, the motor skill becomes automatic. You perform the muscle movements without mental effort. You perform the movements under open-loop control.
This explanation uses terms they defined earlier in the article, so for those who won't read the page, I'll explain things in terms of osu!mania. You should also check out the wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_skill

1. When you first start out with no experience, you are forced to constantly focus all of your attention to trying to do the right thing. In this case, you see notes falling down and you have to think of which key the note is falling on, and then think to press the correct key. This is where sCam is.
  2. Once you have begun to learn the skill, (in this case, hitting the correct key when presented with a note falling down) you begin to refine the action, to get faster reaction time and more accurate reactions (less errors). This is where most people are.
  3. Once you've refined the skill to a certain point the action becomes automatic. This means that you can perform the action without any mental effort. You stop having to think about what you're doing.This is where some people are.
What you described is something that happens when you've reached the last stage, and your action has become automatic. Of course, just because you learned to do something automatically doesn't mean you can't make yourself think about it, which is something you need to avoid once you've learned to play automatically, since it will slow you down and make you play worse. Once you reach this stage you should see a pretty considerable difference between how good you were before compared to now. But until you reach that point, the only thing you can do is play more. Eventually you'll get there and everything will seem much easier.

Now the thing about osu!mania is that these levels of learning apply to the individual patterns of notes in osu!mania songs. It's not like you simply play one day having to think about what you're doing and suddenly play everything automatically the next morning. The way to get better at mania is to keep going through these learning steps for new patterns. Every time you learn a new pattern completely to the point of being automatic, you'll see skill increases overall. Every specific pattern you learn to be automatic at, the easier similar patterns become.
_smu
I agree
Drace
best necro
-sev
nest becro
Pinecone
test necro
Intelli
I actually play Flute IRL at a high level, and a trick I learned was to trill (go from note 1 to note 2 and back over and over again) the same 2 notes until it feels natural, then take your hands away. Put them back, and do it again until it always feels right the first time.
CephiCC
while on the train, or in class I'll play with my fingers like I'm playing o!m. you can do like streams and patterns you know to start building dexterity. Once you have the dexterity down, the solution is simply just to play more until it feels natural. Once you hit around level 50 on a new acct, I'd say you'll start feeling that regardless of what gets thrown at you, your fingers simply move naturally.
Bobbias
Account levels are a terrible way to measure that. Anyway, it happens for everyone, just play until it does.
Ven
play more it's called muscle memory m8
honey
confuse your fingers so they dont get confused. logic