forum

What's your real tablet playing area?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Speedsolver_old
Hello everyone,

I've always used full tablet area since everyone kept telling me it was the best and I should use it right from the start or I'd regret it later. I always felt like it wasn't the best way to go as I have to move my arm/hand around to reach the entire tablet area (the tablet is quite big) but I kept using it since I was advised to. However, I recently found out that the same people who told me to use full area were actually either using full area with osu! on a lower resolution than the screen (making their effective play area smaller), or a smaller tablet than mine. I tried a few songs with a smaller area and although I'm not used to it, I don't have to move my arm/hand around so jumps are much easier as I can leave my wrist in place..

With this, my question is: What is your REAL tablet playing area? What I mean with real tablet playing area is the dimension of the area on your tablet that is used by the game window, whether you use full area, portion, full-screen, or smaller resolutions. Basically, if you have to move 15 cms to the right and 10 cms down from the top-left position to cover the entire game area, your real tablet playing area is "15 x 10 cms" (or inches if you prefer).

I think this is an interesting question (especially for people with larger tablets), so I'd appreciate any answers.

Cheers.
JAKACHAN
5.8 in. x 3.6 in.

Around that.
Clyine
Full area, 1440x900.
Osu 1366x768.

^ doesnt really differ from fullscreen full area.
TakuMii
5.8 in x 3.2625 in
The Bamboo's area is 16:10 and my osu! window is 16:9, and I use full tablet area (locked aspect ratio). I also set my tablet's "screen area" limited to osu!'s window.
I play mostly with mouse though, so take my settings with a grain of salt.
(FYI my 400dpi mouse covers 3.415 in x 1.92 in at the resolution I use for osu!)
MashiroSymphony
1.5 cm x 1 cm :)
Tear
My area's about 1/4 of the original size, and playing in a 800x600 window in 1920x1080. Math time .-.

osu! gets a 3.4cm x 2.5cm rectangle :D (1.3in x 0.6in)
Amelia
5.3 in. x 3.6 in.
d777b
I measured the markings on my tablet and it seems to be roughly 3.5 inch by 3 inch. That's just the play area though. (the space where the notes appear). I also have a long line in the bottom left from dimming the background that extends another inch lol
RBRat3
18" x 12"
VoidnOwO
:)
buny
2inch x 1inch
theowest
depends on the tablet. most users are using the same tablet model and will post the same size, so I don't think this topic should be valued very much.

Bamboo pen CTL-460
~14.7cmx9.2cm

Most bamboo pen tablet have this size.
Hika
~4 inch by 6 inch
Almost
5cm x 3cm.
Topic Starter
Speedsolver_old
Thanks for taking the time everyone, this was very helpful. As I thought, my area was way too big.

BRBP wrote:

With a Bamboo like CTL-470 you should use any resolution you find visually comfortable and set the full area to the osu! window instead of the whole screen.
That's what I was doing (i.e. lower resolution than screen, but setting the region to the game screen only), but my tablet is larger than a CTL-470 so it doesn't work so well for me. I lowered my active area to the full area of a CTL-470 and it's much better. I'll probably keep it like this in case I ever get one.

theowest wrote:

depends on the tablet. most users are using the same tablet model and will post the same size, so I don't think this topic should be valued very much.
That's exactly why I created it. My tablet is larger than the usual so knowing the real dimensions does a lot more for me than knowing the screen size/resolution.

Also, really cool to see some people can play with areas as low as 1.5cm x 1cm. Sliders would kill me if I tried to play like that haha.