forum

[resolved] Tech Support General Question Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Knarf

MoteOfDust wrote:

Hey guys, so I am new so I might be overlooking something obvious, but I have been looking online and can not find an answer to my questions/problem;

So, despite being new I am trying to get better at the game pretty quickly, I was hoping to know where exactly my rank was at to see how and where to improve, but unfortunately I can not find anywhere on my profile that shows I have even really played the game besides it showing I have achieved S ranks/Aranks, and my historical tab. if you follow the link to the screenshot of my profile: http://i.snag.gy/xarSJ.jpg ( or hell, just click on my profile. I simply added a screenshot since it seems people like to have it for reference ) , you'll see under'Recent Activity' it says I haven't done anything notable, the same for 'Best performance'. While I may feel that is true, I see peoples scores on easy ( achieving B's, C's, A's and S's ) noted, and also having a rank despite only completing 'easy' songs. I find nothing wrong with that, but I am curious why I have apparently done nothing to receive a rank yet.

I appreciate any help I am able to receive <33
Your song will only be shown in your recent activies when you achieved rank 500 or above in that song. You have done that already before I post... just to mention that. :)
jellomon123
Issue: can no longer hold left/right to scroll through songs
Description: holding the key will only move to the next song; I can't quickly cycle through many songs by holding the key anymore.
assuming this is unintentional.
Nines
For some reason the FileSystemWatcher that watches the Songs folder isn't working when I have lots of songs in it, which causes the autoloading of beatmaps via osu!direct to not work. Is there a capacity/limit or something? (For more info, visit here >http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/146677)
Topic Starter
TheVileOne

xprototype25 wrote:

How can i fix this?

Disable your antivirus and/or firewall and try again.

jellomon123 wrote:

Issue: can no longer hold left/right to scroll through songs
Description: holding the key will only move to the next song; I can't quickly cycle through many songs by holding the key anymore.
assuming this is unintentional.
Up and down arrow keys are used to scroll.

Tsuchimikado wrote:

For some reason the FileSystemWatcher that watches the Songs folder isn't working when I have lots of songs in it, which causes the autoloading of beatmaps via osu!direct to not work. Is there a capacity/limit or something? (For more info, visit here >http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/146677)
This should have been resolved.
icymirage
The problem I'm having was subtle to me at first.

Basically whenever I'm playing, my mouse sensitivity is greatly decreased when holding sliders. I have no idea why this happens, and does not happen in any other applications. My frame rate is constant, so its not a graphical error. It also doesn't happen if I just hold down z or x and try moving my mouse, only in-game. It's really weird and has made the game nearly impossible to play, especially on maps with a lot of sliders, as my sensitivity jumps back and forth every time I hit a note.
mmnah

icymirage wrote:

Basically whenever I'm playing, my mouse sensitivity is greatly decreased when holding sliders. I have no idea why this happens, and does not happen in any other applications. My frame rate is constant, so its not a graphical error. It also doesn't happen if I just hold down z or x and try moving my mouse, only in-game. It's really weird and has made the game nearly impossible to play, especially on maps with a lot of sliders, as my sensitivity jumps back and forth every time I hit a note.
Not sure, but this may be caused by "Enhance pointer precision" which may be disabled at Control Panel -> Mouse -> Pointer Options.
mmnah
Issue:
Bad connection to bancho servers

Description:
Sometimes it takes about 10 minutes to retrieve the song's ladder, to load up osu!direct, to retrieve summary at the end of the song, whilst website works fine and fast during those "delays". I read that thread about fixing connection issues, but it didn't help.
Everything was ok before those continuous DDoS attacks that was not that long ago. I didn't change or touch anything since then. I have my pc up 24/7 so i even didn't turn it down.
icymirage

ohyou wrote:

icymirage wrote:

Not sure, but this may be caused by "Enhance pointer precision" which may be disabled at Control Panel -> Mouse -> Pointer Options.
Have always had that off, so that's not the problem. Thanks though.
Izumiko
No idea if someone else has asked about this but anyway

Issue: Full Screen mode non-functional

Description: At any resolution when i toggle full screen on the screen goes black and Osu gets minimized and attempts to maximize Osu lead to another flash of black and Osu returning to the minimized state, tested on several resolutions all resolutions work in the windowed mode but none work in full screen mode , also at no point does the audio stop and the only way i can fix the issue is by changing the full screen variable to 0 in the config

Edit: holding shift while running Osu and accepting all the prompts worked sorry for the bother
Nines

TheVileOne wrote:

Tsuchimikado wrote:

This should have been resolved.
When was this resolved?
Topic Starter
TheVileOne
I don't remember why exactly I said that actually. I mistook your problem for something else. I'm not sure how to fix it. Someone will need to replicate the issue and peppy will need to provide more instructions.

Please post issues about resolution and sensitivity in separate threads. It's hard to troubleshoot issues in this thread and not many of us regularly check this thread that are able to help you with such issues.
Piesx
I'm having this issue when Osu! opens up for me its just starts lagging so much i can barely move. This problem didn't happen to me before when I first downloaded Osu! When I was downloading beatmaps this tab popped up saying if I wanted to switch to something for the game or w/e and it said if is your first time opening the game you should click "yes". It wasn't my first time but I assume it was ok so I clicked yes then it suddenly made the game lag so much and instead of the regular light blue background when you start its black and around the osu sign dark blue spikes/ ray of light come out. I tried uninstalling the program and reinstalling in and deleting the beatmap but it didn't work. Can anyone help ? Or anyone with same problem ? This is my first time installing this game so I don't really know much about it.
Topic Starter
TheVileOne
Change your renderer to what you had it before or update your graphics card drivers. Do so by hold shift during startup or through your config file.
Lambtron
Not sure if this has already been pointed out and such or if it's really of any importance...
but it seems that when you go to "Collection" tab, if you use the random function prior to selecting a song it will just default to the first song in the list?

Sorry if useless post ^^
danielharmsen
Issue: data extraction problem

Description: I've been through a couple of threads related to this: Sorting maps by accuracy (of preferably your highest ranking play for a map).
The general result is that the request is rejected and no further information is given.

So I though, let’s try and get them in a list myself. (Automated ofc). So I preceded to making a copy of the scores.db file and subsequently failing to open it in excel or access. Next I tried opening it in notepad++ which works, yay. On to the issue, the data in the file is encoded to minimize the package size to the servers, which in and of itself is no problem, however I don't have a way of decrypting it(nor am I skilled enough to find the appropriate encryption).

I have no trouble finding out which map a series of scores belong to, since you can use your saved replays to find them (the short code is part of the filename). However finding the % value of a score is what I want, and can't seem to figure out. Once I know how to interpret the % value I can quickly build a list in excel and sort. (If only the number of hit, close, near miss and miss is present I can still reconstruct the % with the formula on the site) On the plus side if even the score is there then I can remove multiple tries on the same song automatically based on total score.

This is all under the assumption that this value is included in the .db file.

Any help is welcome, (direction to somone who can help is also welcome)

DanielHarmsen
Marcin

danielharmsen wrote:

Description: I've been through a couple of threads related to this: Sorting maps by accuracy (of preferably your highest ranking play for a map).
The general result is that the request is rejected and no further information is given.

So I though, let’s try and get them in a list myself. (Automated ofc). So I preceded to making a copy of the scores.db file and subsequently failing to open it in excel or access. Next I tried opening it in notepad++ which works, yay. On to the issue, the data in the file is encoded to minimize the package size to the servers, which in and of itself is no problem, however I don't have a way of decrypting it(nor am I skilled enough to find the appropriate encryption).

I have no trouble finding out which map a series of scores belong to, since you can use your saved replays to find them (the short code is part of the filename). However finding the % value of a score is what I want, and can't seem to figure out. Once I know how to interpret the % value I can quickly build a list in excel and sort. (If only the number of hit, close, near miss and miss is present I can still reconstruct the % with the formula on the site) On the plus side if even the score is there then I can remove multiple tries on the same song automatically based on total score.

DanielHarmsen

Actually, this is not encrypted file, but a binary file, you have to program a program (oh god) with a class structure the same as the file (ints to ints, strings to string), and then you can open every score. However, I've been already trying to do similar thing with osu.db, and I (piotrekol, not me to be exact [ HI MOSNTER GIVING NO CREDITS] ) couldn't find the right structure.

You can also seek a file until you come up with escape character (hex 0b iirc), and try to find out to what it belongs (my work around while being still new to programming :33)

You can see whole file, by using any hex editor, it'll be in readable state.
Antonio
Hello. I have warning on my account (morap for spam in #japanese), but I'm pretty sure, that I was offline. Actually I was offline for few mounth.
Also I regulary get messages on my email for password recovery, but I do not asked for it. What's wrong ?
Topic Starter
TheVileOne
Not sure. If you weren't online then somehow someone got access to your account or someone accidentally silenced your name without realizing it.
danielharmsen

Marcin wrote:

danielharmsen wrote:

DanielHarmsen

Actually, this is not encrypted file, but a binary file, you have to program a program (oh god) with a class structure the same as the file (ints to ints, strings to string), and then you can open every score. However, I've been already trying to do similar thing with osu.db, and I (piotrekol, not me to be exact [ HI MOSNTER GIVING NO CREDITS] ) couldn't find the right structure.

You can also seek a file until you come up with escape character (hex 0b iirc), and try to find out to what it belongs (my work around while being still new to programming :33)

You can see whole file, by using any hex editor, it'll be in readable state.
Mmmnh, I tried using the hexadecimal plugin of notepad, but as you said, the standard structure is not the correct one. At least the black boxes are gone.

I tried a few different settings, but this changed noting. I did notice that the standard structure "loses" data during the interpretation. A lot of the different hex segments translate to a simple dot.

Is there a way to find the structure? You mentioned something with the escape character. The “0b” character in this file is linked to “30 62” section, is this what you were looking for?
Marcin
Please refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... riter.aspx and http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us//librar ... eader.aspx these are classes used for writing / reading the file afaik. (at least, i was using them)
As for the structure - you have to find out on your own, (or ask peppy /me runs) but if you have no clue in programming, I really wonder if you'll do something with it.
ohokay

Side Pocket wrote:

ohokay wrote:

Issue: Songs take 1 min+ to load

Description: Every song from http://osu.ppy.sh/s/29157 takes 1 minute plus to load but every other beat map loads in ~10 seconds. It used to not do this, then one day it started taking forever to load. Can someone help?
Make sure you aren't running anything too memory demanding in the background.
I could have nothing else opened and it still takes over 1 minute. Is it my computer?
danielharmsen

Marcin wrote:

Please refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... riter.aspx and http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us//librar ... eader.aspx these are classes used for writing / reading the file afaik. (at least, i was using them)
As for the structure - you have to find out on your own, (or ask peppy /me runs) but if you have no clue in programming, I really wonder if you'll do something with it.
:( I'm a horrible programmer in anything other than math or basic html... which just gave me an idea. Thanks to the hex plugin, I can get the raw data. Now I can find out for each song which I played only once what the parameters are for hit/nearhit/nearmiss/miss, the kaku/geki and the score from the website. If I assume that the numbers are coded in a simple way(like say 318 is encoded like a 3 a 1 and a 8) then a small number of songs can be used to find the general position and translation of each number. With a small selection of songs finding the patterns should be doable(?right?).

This can then be used to substitute in the original file giving the list of scores for each song/attempt. This can all be done in excel/word/notepad :) too bad the first part is a ton of work...

Progres edit 1:
I found out what the codings for 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 are (00 00, 01 00, 02 00, 03 00, 04 00, 05 00, 06 00, 07 00, 08 00, 09 00)
The number counting is not simple like I assumed earlier, maybe even simpeler: 11 is 0b 00.
I also discovered the reporting sequence for: hit nearhit nearmiss geki kaku miss (example, perfect run of tutorial 08 00 00 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 00 00)
this is followed by a 4 hex set (example: 00 00 00 00) containing the score, followed by the combo.
This could mean that the theoretical maximum number or combo is 65536 (16^4) (this way of encoding does not allow a number to get an additional hex set because of read out problems). And a maximum score of: 4294967296 (16^8), excluding mods.
I also found out that there is a constant number of hex sets after the name until the score is reported.
I think this is the string for a new score entry: d0 08 ff ff ff ff.

Is there a program which can represent the entire file in hex, and start a new line after the new score signal?
Marcin
Hm, I could try to create a structure for you, but TRY, I'll send you to PM if I happen to make it, but don't expect it anytime soon.
danielharmsen

Marcin wrote:

Hm, I could try to create a structure for you, but TRY, I'll send you to PM if I happen to make it, but don't expect it anytime soon.
Thank you very much for the hexadecimal hint, I wouldn't have been able to get this far without it. :)

I think I've figured out a way to extract/convert the data. I'll update this post when I'm finished. (It's a very cumbersome approach)

I did it :!:

Here's the play by play for those interested: If it does not work at all, it may be because of the difference between you and me in osu name.
Version 2: Added translation for the string in excel, removing 1 step. Also added ability to check for full combo (FC).

1 Locate the scores.db file in your osu directory and make a copy of it.
2 Open the copy in notepad++ and use the hexadecimal plugin (link below) to view the file in its original code. Copy all the columns with numbers except for the address and dump column (first and last one)
3 Paste in word or similar text editor and replace the following: d0 08 ff ff ff ff by ^p d0 08 ff ff ff ff and 0b 20 by 0b 20 ^t (I did this in word, this may differ in other applications, the idea is to create a new paragraph with ^p and insert a tab with ^t)
4 Select all the text in the word file and paste it in cel A3 of the excel file (link below) [This file was made in an excel with the dutch language]
5 Don't freak out, only your highest scoring plays are processed, the rest all show N/A. (You may need to make sure that the table expands properly)
6 You can now use the low->high sort of the accuracy column, or the FC colum (1 stands for FC)
6.5 In some rare instances, scores may give odd numbers here, this is due to an unknown extra string in the db file. Because of this all the data processing is wrong and you can't find this score for that song.
7 Once you found the score of interest, you need to find the song related to it, to do this, go to the Map name column of that score and copy the number/letter sequence present in that cell.
8 Go to the osu directory and use search to find the letter/number sequence. You will get a series of results depending on the number of times you played the song.
9 Open any one of the files while osu is running in the background and presto you have the song you want. Now you only need to look for the correct difficulty and you can start improving it.

Notes:
As mentioned earlier, some song scores will give odd numbers or won't work, I don't know how to fix it, common sense applies.
This method also includes unranked plays & offline plays; I have no way of separating them at the moment.
You can only find songs of which you have replays of and the scores present on your current pc/computer. If you did not copy all these files when you changed to a new device, old score info will be lost and cannot be recovered.

Links:
Excel file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xwk3o06prwy0f ... 0sort.xlsx
Notepad plugin: http://en.sourceforge.jp/projects/sfnet ... I_dll.zip/

Special thanks:
marcin for his tip to use a hexadecimal capable program to read the files.
Piotrekol for a more accurate breakdown of the score structure in scores.db
Also cheers for peppy and his very efficient way of coding the scores.db file.
M e i R i n
Umm, can someone tell me if this thing is normal? .___.

because my 'accuracy' is not decreasing nor increasing. o3o or should I say I'm stuck. o3o

- Sorry for my poor grammar.
Marcin
p/2005158
Refer to deadbeat's post.
M e i R i n

Marcin wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/p/2005158
Refer to deadbeat's post.

Thank you sir. :D
Kira05
Having problems starting osu. Normal shortcuts on my desktop simply don't work without any kind of error screens and same for osu!.exe in osu folder. Osume.exe, however, gives me the following error message:

Sorry, it seems an error has occured :(
Please report this on the forums along with as much detail as possible of how it happaned.
Culture "en" is a neutral culture. It cannot be used during formatting and deconstruction(? this part is in russian so i translate as accurately as i can, sorry if got this wrong) and as such it cannot be selected as a current culture for this flow.
Void CheckNeutral(System.Globalization.CultureInfo)

After I got tis message for the first time, i tried reinstalling osu, but it didn't work. I even deleted everything inside the folder, except for "songs", but still getting this message. Everything worked fine yesterday.
Kira05
UPD: somehow osu runs normally again, no clues of why it happened.
djneko123
hey um can u change my main menu
backround
Marcin
Topic Starter
TheVileOne
I have a question. Why doesn't anyone have a signature in Announcements?
Marcin
My guess is since they're treated as comments, and therefore they (admins) don't want to clutter forum. (since sometimes they're long)
Rei Hakurei
if i remember, its disabled long time ago... well old time signatures are longer than 150px
shaneoyo
Is there any way to point osu! to a songs directory that isn't 'C:\Program Files\osu!\Songs'? My C:\ partition is basically full of osu! songs and I don't want to resize. Cheers.
Marcin
Afaik there was a argument for config file to make it read other folder, but cannot you just move whole osu! installation? (osu! is portable, that means after you move osu!, nothing in registry will break).
shaneoyo

Marcin wrote:

Afaik there was a argument for config file to make it read other folder, but cannot you just move whole osu! installation? (osu! is portable, that means after you move osu!, nothing in registry will break).
Thanks mate, didn't realise it was a portable install.
Topic Starter
TheVileOne
I don't know what happened, but this thread got unstickied.
MillhioreF
peppy is considering decommissioning this thread and having people post their issues in separate threads, so that's possibly why it was unstickied. I want to give it a bit more of a chance though, since questions still have a place.

Edit: Updated the thread to make it less redundant - issues should always go in their own thread, but questions about the technical side of the game can be posted here.
Topic Starter
TheVileOne
I guess people can ask about issues instead of posting issues. That sounds better.
show more