forum

Tips to increase global performance ranking quicker?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
-Selentia
Hi everyone.

Well I've been thinking of many ways of increasing my global performance ranking much more quickly. I just feel that my level experience has been increasing at a really fast pace, normally it would just burst approximately 3 - 5% (according to my estimation after playing a song, which would sometimes take a retry or two), which is what I wouldn't really wish for. My goal is to be one of the good players out there, but when I put the other good players into comparison, I realized that maybe the length of gameplay is just too much, thus leading to that great level experience burst (I'm currently Level 81, several levels before this my level has been raising by 1 per day); I was wondering, how did some of the really good players achieve such a high global performance ranking (Normally these players are just above Level 90), on the other hand I take a look at my own statistics (Level 81, Global Performance Rank #16071), and I start to feel disappointed with my own stats, unsatisfied with my current global performance ranking, and sometimes I would even feel like not willing to play, just thinking about how my level raises so quickly, but with such a low global performance ranking.
I would really like to know, what is it like to be after Level 90, will it still be maintaining in the same pace in terms of level growth? Will I be able to achieve my goal (I am willing to be among the top #1000 players when I hit Level 90, but it just seems irrelevant and impossible)? Back to the main point, are there any sort of methods to improve more in terms of skills, and achieving a higher ranking by earning more pp from just a beatmap or two (I've been refreshing my old records, and achieving top ranks in beatmaps which I've never used to rank in, but I just feel that the amount of pp granted is too less, on the other hand my level experience increases dramatically... I've been trying on harder beatmaps, but I realized another point: The higher my global performance ranking gets, the harder I would be able to earn pp, even though it's a song on Hard or Insane. Or maybe I was just repetitively refreshing my records? Should I rank in beatmaps that I haven't played before (or I could say, new beatmaps added to my library)?) Please, I would really appreciate any help from experienced players ( I would really wanna be the second Cookiezi, seems impossible, but it is just a direction of improvement), Thanks~

P.S. I've been wanting my personal tablet for a long time, but most likely I couldn't afford it. For 81 Levels and roughly 3 to 4 months of gameplay I've been using just a mouse and my laptop's keyboard.
buny
the very good players get a high ranking because they're good

rather than focusing so much purely on ranks, try to improve your skills and you should be able to do it with ease. Why waste so much effort trying to farm ranks when you can use that effort to get better and then farm it with ease?
Almost
Level means pretty much nothing.
sCam
lol, i've been stuck at lvl99 for like a year.

do what buny said.
Topic Starter
-Selentia
Your advice shall be appreciated buny.
By the way, allow me to ask quite of a pointless question, but I would like to know that how you guys practice your skills? Well my opinion is to challenge higher difficulty songs however I doubt that this is one of the best ways. Just curious.
Kanye West
Play a wide variety of different maps and always play the hardest difficulty that you are able to. Generally speaking, you won't improve that much if you retry the same map 100 times just to get a good rank on it.
Oinari-sama
I like sub-dividing practise routines into different categories.

Pick a few songs that feature a specific skill (eg stream, jump etc) and either add them to favourites or organise them into sub-folders. This is what my training folder looks like:

I will play each training map only once a day. It is usually more efficient than retrying the same map over and over again.

If you're going to do the same thing, make sure you start from a difficulty you can handle first. Aim for 97% accuracy before you move onto a harder level. Don't worry about failing, just play them with NF till you can pass the map.

In addition to the training maps, I also have a huge collection of Favourite maps (mostly Touhou) to play after I complete the training routine. These are the music I like the most and I will play the highest difficulty instead. Once again I would only play each song once a day instead of retrying.

Make sure you pick songs you like though. It's important to have fun, otherwise you'll find it a drag to go through the same routine everyday and you won't last long.

That's just how I like to "train," I'm sure everyone got their own approach. 8-)
jesse1412
...Or you an just play some ballin' maps with crazy high object count and a ludicrously high bpm
Kingkevin30

AkoSuminoe wrote:

I was wondering, how did some of the really good players achieve such a high global performance ranking (Normally these players are just above Level 90), on the other hand I take a look at my own statistics (Level 81, Global Performance Rank #16071), and I start to feel disappointed with my own stats, unsatisfied with my current global performance ranking, and sometimes I would even feel like not willing to play, just thinking about how my level raises so quickly, but with such a low global performance ranking.
Many People in high Global Ranks are PP Farming, you have just to look up some of the "Best Performance"-Maps of People with the same "Skill"-LVL as yours
Sup A Noob
Skill level is something not measurable by stats. Just seek to improve yourself (in skill, not stats). Play maps that push you to your limits. If said beatmap doesn't actually push you, throw a mod in.

Well, at least that's how I roll. 3 hours a day 2 times a week and I'm still improving.
Yoeri
Get good accuracy with HD+DT or HD+HR on Hards.

Eat your vegetables.
CXu
Why do people never advice repeating the same map over a few times :(

If you screw up a certain jump in a map every time you play, then play until you actually manage to hit it, then remember how it felt (or play until you start doing silly mistakes everywhere; that's the cue to quit.)

I grinded TAG4 maps back in the days and I have to say that did help my overall jumping ability.
Almost

CXu wrote:

Why do people never advice repeating the same map over a few times :(

If you screw up a certain jump in a map every time you play, then play until you actually manage to hit it, then remember how it felt (or play until you start doing silly mistakes everywhere; that's the cue to quit.)

I grinded TAG4 maps back in the days and I have to say that did help my overall jumping ability.
Because grinding a single map constantly just gets you bored and irritated. If you just play a map a few times then move to another map, you get a variety of things of practice. If you keep doing this, you'll eventually be able to do that jump you were never able to do consistently even if you never practiced it specifically.
CXu
"(or play until you start doing silly mistakes everywhere; that's the cue to quit.)" <-- that's when you're bored/irritated.

Also, yes, you'll be able to do it eventually. That goes with anything in this game really. I'm just talking from my own experience anyway.
Qplayer

AkoSuminoe wrote:

I take a look at my own statistics (Level 81, Global Performance Rank #16071), and I start to feel disappointed with my own stats, unsatisfied with my current global performance ranking, and sometimes I would even feel like not willing to play, just thinking about how my level raises so quickly, but with such a low global performance ranking.
I'm level 90 and only ranked around 24000. It's not terrible to have a low rank and high level as long as you think you're improving noticeably over time. I don't need statistics to tell me I'm improving!

That's my justification for being terrible ;_;
Winshley
I missed the day when Ranked Score was the main metric of ranking. I'm level 99 yet my Ranked Score ranking is #33752. :P
Topic Starter
-Selentia
Thanks a whole lot for the bunch of tips everyone gave :3 So I took advice and started focusing on skill training rather than farming pp, and hopefully I would be able to accomplish what I am willing to achieve. ;)

I have a few problems T.T Squares, to be precise, the ones with large leaps and fast BPM (e.g. Kokou no Sousei Chaos and Taketori Hishou Extra); and large note spacing streaming are the most notable technique difficulties I have faced for such a long time... Also adding HR to beatmaps on Hard is a problem for me (Which means it'll push the approach rate to 10, it's really hard to read for me, any idea on how to train on reading fast approach rate?? One thing I notice which is, the last time I played Mythologia's End which was around 1 to 2 months ago, the circle AR seemed to be so quick but when I played it today I found out I managed to survive longer and able to read the circles. Do I have to just play more AR9 maps or something??
Raging Bull
A lot of people have trouble with squares. Just read don't read the pattern as a square and you should snap to the circle better. And only way to improve reading AR10 is to play more AR10 I guess. I use the follow points to help me look where the next note may be. And yes you have gotten used to reading AR9.
VoidnOwO
:)
Almost

BRBP wrote:

Being able to read AR10 isn't necessary to get to #1000 by the way.
You'd be pretty damn terrible if you couldn't play AR10 and you were in the #1000 though.
djjsixpack

Almost wrote:

BRBP wrote:

You'd be pretty damn terrible if you couldn't play AR10 and you were in the #1000 though.
I dunno. Playing a ton of HR lately has shown me I am not too good at it lol. Have to do loads of retries before I can play triples properly, and get comfortable with the map.

I know a couple people in the 200 ranks that can't play AR10 at all, but they are SS machines that can pretty much play anything and get amazing accuracy.
Almost

djjsixpack wrote:

Almost wrote:

I dunno. Playing a ton of HR lately has shown me I am not too good at it lol. Have to do loads of retries before I can play triples properly, and get comfortable with the map.

I know a couple people in the 200 ranks that can't play AR10 at all, but they are SS machines that can pretty much play anything and get amazing accuracy.
I was able to hit a few circles on AR10 when AR8 was still fast for me so I'm pretty sure they should be able to play it, just have difficulty FCing or maintaining a high combo.
Soarezi
Being able to read every AR is a huge bonus, and makes getting ranks shitton easier. There are alot of people that cannot read several patterns on different AR's. White Wolf is very good at this though.
GoldenWolf

Almost wrote:

I'm pretty damn terrible then.
MillhioreF

Almost wrote:

I'm over rank 300 and I can't even read AR10 without memorization, never mind play it. It's a sad life.
Yoeri

Almost wrote:

BRBP wrote:

So skill level is based on reaction time?
CXu

MillhioreF wrote:

Almost wrote:

I'm over rank 100 and I can't even read AR10 without memorization, never mind play it. It's a sad life.
Wait shit I'm 107 now, nvm.
Kalas_old
Probably its just me.. but when I learned to read high AR I couldnt read low AR anymore
-GN
I can read AR down to 4 decently well, as well as AR up to 10.8(sometimes, barely, almost). Do I get a prize? :D
Soarezi

Kalas wrote:

Probably its just me.. but when I learned to read high AR I couldnt read low AR anymore
You're not the only one.
Pizzicato
DT eufonius maps
I can only do ar8+hrhd by looking at followpoints, that's only when I wanna rank to top 50 on a map without enough speed for dt, and that usually doesn't work so well, for one thing, my combo tends to be broken, since I didn't really got all the notes located; for another, the accuracy never comes above 96%, and that's far from enough...

So

-GN wrote:

I can read AR down to 4 decently well, as well as AR up to 10.8(sometimes, barely, almost). Do I get a prize? :D
Man he deserves a real big prize for this.
Almost
When I said can't play AR10 I meant that you can't even react to the circle before it disappears.
Winshley
Memorization is the best... for me, at least. :roll:
Kanye West
best way to increase pp is to play HD+HR+FL on all of silynn's top performances
Winshley

Kanye West wrote:

best way to increase pp is to play HD+HR+FL on all of silynn's top performances
I know someone that is going to hate such players.
NoJoke_old_1

Almost wrote:

Actually I've found that statement is not true.

Ranking can be obtained easier than levels. Statistically speaking, a user can gain PP faster than levels depending on their current level and what they're farming.

When I go into a public match, I don't care about the rank of the other user I care moreso of their level - it shows how long they've been playing.

I was recently in a match with a user ranked #103 in the world, needless to say I actually beat him pretty hard on the song even though he was familiar with it. I was very shocked at his performance. Afterwards he quit, I looked him up and it turns out he was just a farmer. What a disappointed feeling that was.

Fact of the matter is I'd rather gradually gain levels while progressing my PP naturally as it should be.

Rank means nothing at all. I've seen some 50k's that absolutely obliterate 100-1k's.
Almost
Actually I find my statement still true. Multiplayer is rubbish evidence to suggest someone is better than another.
Full Tablet

NoJoke wrote:

Almost wrote:

Actually I've found that statement is not true.

Ranking can be obtained easier than levels. Statistically speaking, a user can gain PP faster than levels depending on their current level and what they're farming.

When I go into a public match, I don't care about the rank of the other user I care moreso of their level - it shows how long they've been playing.

I was recently in a match with a user ranked #103 in the world, needless to say I actually beat him pretty hard on the song even though he was familiar with it. I was very shocked at his performance. Afterwards he quit, I looked him up and it turns out he was just a farmer. What a disappointed feeling that was.

Fact of the matter is I'd rather gradually gain levels while progressing my PP naturally as it should be.

Rank means nothing at all. I've seen some 50k's that absolutely obliterate 100-1k's.
Did you beat him in a very low AR song? Maybe he hasn't played low AR songs in months so he got confused. (guessing since in your profile it seems you don't even get S's in hard difficulty maps).
CXu
Ooooor he just got bored.
show more