forum

Huge slump what to do? T_T

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kevojai
I have been playing osu a lot recently and constantly progressing in skill level. Slowly but surely, i am now able to beat a handful of insane modes that took hundreds of retries. I have been constantly replaying them and beating them as warm-ups for my next insane mode song. However, for some reason i recently have been unable to even get halfway through the songs i have once beaten. :(

Is there any advice on how to beat this slump?
Much appreciation for your time.
winber1
stop getting frustrated.
also, wat seems like a slump isn't always a slump.

Taking a break and coming back to songs usually helps a lot. no seriously. many people who have literally taken 1 week breaks or more and come back to osu often time feel like they've some reason increased in skill. I felt the same way when I went on vacation somewhere else.

and i'm probably in more of a slump than you. i can't get better :(
Topic Starter
Kevojai
okay, i will take your advice to heart and take a week break :D

But you're in the top 500 ranks i would be happy just to be that good :(
Lance
Practice. Hit f2 a lot. Deep breaths.
sCam
dude just take a break, play another game. i just came back from a 2-3 month break, and im beating old scores like nothing, doing better at maps i used to fail horribly at, and with much better accuracy.

either that, or just keep playing..the better you get, the harder it is to improve, and you most likely wouldn't noticed you've improved.
Topic Starter
Kevojai

Lance wrote:

I try to breathe, but sometimes it gets intense and i hold my breathe on those scary jumps haha

sCam wrote:

dude just take a break, play another game. i just came back from a 2-3 month break, and im beating old scores like nothing, doing better at maps i used to fail horribly at, and with much better accuracy.

either that, or just keep playing..the better you get, the harder it is to improve, and you most likely wouldn't noticed you've improved.
Well, since there have been two similar posts, taking a break must be the key.
sCam

Kevojai wrote:

Lance wrote:

I try to breathe, but sometimes it gets intense and i hold my breathe on those scary jumps haha

sCam wrote:

Well, since there have been two similar posts, taking a break must be the key.
well, don't take a extended break like what I did. Sometimes that's bad. 1 week is good.
Topic Starter
Kevojai

sCam wrote:

well, don't take a extended break like what I did. Sometimes that's bad. 1 week is good.
Alright, sounds like a plan ^^
Cyclohexane
Take a break, play another mode, bum around in chat or do stuff in the editor and get back to it later, definitely.
Zakdawg
Simplified a song has around 3 stages.
1. You can not pass it.
2. You can pass it.
3. You can potentially FC it.

And as mention earlier what seems like slumps isn't always slumps.

Play a lot of different songs and set some goals for a few specific songs you like and be realistic.
Examples can be of songs from all stages like:
DJ Genericname - Dear You [Dear Rue], No fail and get less than 30 misses.
Megpoid GUMI - Nisemono no Uta - TuInsane, pass it.
Demetori - Emotional Skyscraper ~ World's End - FC it (Long term goal)
ect.

Play these songs like 1-5 times from time to time, and you will gradually notice improvements until you beat your goals, and then you can set up new ones. :)
And i do mean 1-5 times. Don't retry it if you do a miss, just play the song through. There is no use in trying to force good scores. When you are good enough they will come naturally... atleast from personal experience.

Edit: I dont know about the long term break. In my cases I always need an entire day of sucking, before I get back into it, if I have a period of +3 days away. People are different.
Sup A Noob
Calm the fuck down and play.
winber1
also, whenever u are very conscious about a specific part that screws you over, the more likely you will get screwed over. you don't need a 1 week break, you just take 1 day off, but the point was that getting frustrated will get you nowhere.
JAKACHAN
3.5k Plays... Play more and don't get frustrated.

I could barely pass insanes at like 10k playcount and I didn't start doing anything remotely good until a whole year after I started. You are ahead of the game be happy about that and don't let a few fails get to you especially when you are this new.
usa
yup, relax and have fun with the game...and taking a break from the game is also a good idea too...
Qplayer
Play much much much easier maps. Like insultingly easy maps. Maps you know you can beat with your eyes closed. Go down to easy difficulty if you have to. Dabble around in lower difficulties until you're relaxed and slowly move up to more difficult maps.
Topic Starter
Kevojai

winber1 wrote:

also, whenever u are very conscious about a specific part that screws you over, the more likely you will get screwed over. you don't need a 1 week break, you just take 1 day off, but the point was that getting frustrated will get you nowhere.
Wow that explains exactly what i do LOL... except its missing the part where i rage after i fail the same part 10 times in a row...

JAKACHAN wrote:

3.5k Plays... Play more and don't get frustrated.

I could barely pass insanes at like 10k playcount and I didn't start doing anything remotely good until a whole year after I started. You are ahead of the game be happy about that and don't let a few fails get to you especially when you are this new.

But i don't feel ahead of the game... T_T