forum

[CANCELLED] osu! Team Tournament Series!(4v4)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Azer

CANCELLED

21/5/2013 Update: We're full.

Are you already a team captain? READ THIS
So your team is signed up, you have everything covered and you're ready to play. Here's what you have to do, and what you can do.
  1. All captains must add 'i censored this because i dont give out my skype anymore'' (Azer) on skype and you will be added in the captain conversation, where you will be posting your match and scrim results and discussing with other teams. If you can't do that, or you don't use skype, add 'Azer' in-game and post your results on the thread.
  2. Done and understood? Great. Now, you can look for a scrim on the skype convo, contacting other captains personally or posting on the thread. Remember you can only do 5 scrims every week.

osu! Team Tournament Series is a new 4v4 multiplayer tournament looking for more teams to participate.I encourage reading the full post/thread if you show interest to the idea!

Here's the spreadsheet containing literally everything. I HEAVILY SUGGEST BOOKMARKING AND REGULARLY TAKING A LOOK AT THIS

The Point System explained
I've put a lot of thought into this and came up with a good and fair system. During the 'season', there will be two kinds of games. Scrims and Matches.

Matches are official games teams will have to play every week, against a set opponent. Teams have to play this or get a forfeit penalty. Best of 5. These will not start until we have a good amount of teams ready to compete for the top spots in the standings.

Scrims are unofficial games teams have the option of playing for a tiny bit of bonus points. The rewards for winning are small. Teams pick who they go against. (All information about teams and standings is in the spreadsheet.). Best of 3.
A team can only play 5 scrims every week. If more scrims are reported they will not be counted for either team.

Here's how the points work:
I'll start by reminding you matches are best of 5 and scrims are best of three.
x=maps lost
y=maps won
win match: 75-10x
lose match: 25+10y
win scrim: 5-1x
lose scrim: 2+1y

3-0 match results in a 75-25 point distribution
3-1 match results in a 65-35 point distribution
3-2 match results in a 55-45 point distribution
2-0 scrim results in a 5-2 point distribution
2-1 scrim results in a 4-3 point distribution

A perfect week (3-0 match and five 2-0 scrims) will give you 100pts (to make things clear, this doesn't mean 100 ADDITIONAL points if you get a perfect week)
A worst possible week (0-3 match + five optional 0-2 scrims) will give you 35pts (25pts if scrims weren't done)

The idea behind this is to offer teams an alternative between being obliged to play x team at x point, and just play whatever team they want for a slight advantage. Matches will be the main focus and teams will not suffer too much from not playing scrims.

After seven matches (7 weeks), The 6 best teams of each 8-team division will proceed in their own tournament. I will go into more detail later.

For every match and scrim, a player of either team is asked to submit a screenshot of every played map's result screen on this thread or on skype for proof and link the match history with the same post, and we will compile all the scores and information necessary in the spreadsheet.

What beatmaps are played?
CURRENTLY UPDATING THIS

What about mods?
CURRENTLY UPDATING THIS

How is average rating calculated?
On the spreadsheet, you'll most likely notice teams have an Averate Rating value somewhere from 1 to 5. This is achieved by taking each member's logarithmic rank and averaging it to a single number. Doing it this way gives a better average value of certain team compositions than just simply averaging the ranks themselves. (Thanks Kyou-kun)

How do I know who I'm playing against in my next match?
There's quite a few ways to tell.
1. The team captains will be in a skype conversation where I will personally post information about matches and other things frequently.
2. This thread's second post will contain all match histories and upcoming matches.
3. On the spreadsheet, there will be a new section added everyweek containing information about the matches.

Is there prizes for winning?
Each Member of all the winning teams will recieve 3 months of free supporter. Thanks to peppy for sponsoring the prizes.
Starry-
Timeslots, brackets and mappools are all subject to differentiate depending on the popularity of the tournament.

Don't be afraid to sign up once you have a team ready~

I ALSO RESERVE THIS POST FOR FUTURE UPDATES AND STUFF.
CPTW
It's not like I'm posting here cause Starzd told me to

I have no team though but I would like to enter for the fun of it :<
lovelx
sounds like fun to me, looking for a team.~
Tshemmp
A few things:
  1. I think there is a flaw in the point system. Let's say one match ends 3:2 so the winning team get's 185 points. This is way more if the match would have ended 3:0 (only 145 points). So a good team could intentionally lose to get more points.
  2. 4v4 seems a bit too much for me because it makes it very difficult to set up times for the matches. I think 3v3 would be better.
  3. Are mods allowed?
Well, looks really interesting, let's see if I can get a team up.
Starry-

Tshemmp wrote:

A few things:
  1. I think there is a flaw in the point system. Let's say one match ends 3:2 so the winning team get's 185 points. This is way more if the match would have ended 3:0 (only 145 points). So a good team could intentionally lose to get more points.
I found this out whilst creating formula for the spreadsheet I was designing yesterday. I'm not sure how to combat this, but an easy alternative to it is to give bonus points if a team wins 3:0. It's up for discussion.

Tshemmp wrote:

1. 4v4 seems a bit too much for me because it makes it very difficult to set up times for the matches. I think 3v3 would be better.
3v3 possibly could be better, but again, depending on the popularity of the tournament, I'll try and organise timeslots for matches as much as I can. 4v4 is preferred right now, but me and Azer are still discussing it.

Tshemmp wrote:

1. Are mods allowed?
I think mods will be allowed, but only in mappool picks. Free mods, however, most likely won't be permitted.

Tshemmp wrote:

Well, looks really interesting, let's see if I can get a team up
Awesome ^^ and thanks~ :)
uzzi
Sounds like a great idea! Would love to participate in something like this, LF team I guess~

Oh and not to sound selfish or anything, but I think a 2v2 pool would be pretty nice too. :D
Navi
As much as I want a multiplayer matchmaking system its just not happening so I support this 100% i think if more tournaments go on they might make a ingame team vs team with a ranking system for multi.
Topic Starter
Azer
Yeah, it'd be fun to have some more multiplayer aspects to the game. It's already the greatest game of all time and I'm totally not spending at least 5 hours of my daily life on this game, but it could use a few updates on that matter since multi hasn't really changed throughout all these years.
Or at least having the ability to spectate a whole game lobby and not just a single player :3
Kingkevin30
is this Tournament, Osu! Standard Only?
Yuugo
About the point system, why is losing maps rewarded with points? I can understand that winning maps is worth points, on top of winning the whole match, but why is losing a map worth something and in this case, almost as much as winning a match.

If it is to try and keep people motivated by rewarding them simply for playing, I sort of understand, as the defeat will feel less punishing.

If it is for any other reason, say, to still be getting points even though you lost and through that way get higher placed than others, it won't work so well. Since everyone who loses gets those 20 points, it's practically the same situation as where everyone would get 0 points for losing, given the same amount of matches is played.

I'd suggest not rewarding map losses with points in official matches. In skirmishes this shouldn't be a problem since it's so minor and mostly serves the purpose of keeping the teams engaged with one another and the tournament in general.

Question: Can teams battle the same team 5 times for all their scrims or do those have to be distinct teams for every scrim
Navi
I think you should redo the point system as well I think people are gonna have a problem with it, I think maybe getting in touch with someone like kriers or someone who was involved with the OWC they can help with it
laport

AzerFrost wrote:

and play the match within the week
I would put at least two weeks here, because is can be hard to have all 4 players at the same time connected and warmed up on a certain time and date. the odds of all teams being able to play within 1 weeks doubles if you allow teams to have as much as 8 members, though I believe a team of 10 would be ideal.

I like the score for the losing team, because it motivates every team to remain active I guess
Topic Starter
Azer

Kingkevin30 wrote:

is this Tournament, Osu! Standard Only?
Yes.

Yuugo wrote:

About the point system, why is losing maps rewarded with points?
There's still some debate about whether our system is good or not but the reason for a lost map giving that many points is because we don't want a team that does their scrims automaticly have a big advantage over another (slightly better) team that doesn't. If losing your matches 3-0 didn't award you anything at all, you would be very far behind and would rely on scrims to try to keep up. We might tweak the numbers a bit more in that sense.

Yuugo wrote:

Can teams battle the same team 5 times for all their scrims or do those have to be distinct teams for every scrim
If both teams are okay with it, I don't see why not. I don't encourage it though because then you'll be unfamiliar with loads of teams and when it comes to your match day with them you won't know each member's strong point and weakness.

laport wrote:

I would put at least two weeks here, because is can be hard to have all 4 players at the same time connected and warmed up on a certain time and date. the odds of all teams being able to play within 1 weeks doubles if you allow teams to have as much as 8 members, though I believe a team of 10 would be ideal.
I honestly don't think a 8 man roster is required for each team honestly.. it would only make things more complicated than they should be. Although for the 2 week thing, it could be a possibility if more teams encounter that problem.

Lastly, don't forget to post here once any of you get a full team up! We only have like 2 and a half teams now but the popularity of this thread hints me we should have more.
TRIYP
This seems like it would be loads of fun. I'll see if I can get a team together. :D
ThisManzzz
I'm interested, already have my team. When do you think the tournament will take place, and at what time?
Topic Starter
Azer

ThisManzzz wrote:

I'm interested, already have my team. When do you think the tournament will take place, and at what time?
Probably after around 2 months of matches, which will start soon enough.
Navi
I feel 2v2 would be a lot easier to organise, depending on the popularity, OWC was easy because of the wide range of players, if this catches attention then I guess 4v4 would be okay, but 2v2 sounds much better.
Also would this be streamed? like in OWC style? tis would be cool :D
Topic Starter
Azer

Navi wrote:

I feel 2v2 would be a lot easier to organise, depending on the popularity, OWC was easy because of the wide range of players, if this catches attention then I guess 4v4 would be okay, but 2v2 sounds much better.
Also would this be streamed? like in OWC style? tis would be cool :D
2v2 opens the option of carrying and we don't really want that.
And the thing about streaming OWC style is we need to create 8 accounts and have 8 clients open, which is against the rules unless peppy gives us permission.
We'll see what we can do about it, but for now streaming will remain a solo player view.
Navi
Fair enough, well I think if you can talk to peppy about this or some kinder admin or w/e u might get a chance to make 7/8 other accounts.
show more