forum

osu!mania General Discussion

posted
Total Posts
show more
Maiz94
In my opinion, I think we should have our own rules for osu!mania subforum like other subforums did. If not, there would be a lot of threads that aren't usable/offtopic/etc etc.
theowest

ishimaru94 wrote:

In my opinion, I think we should have our own rules for osu!mania subforum like other subforums did. If not, there would be a lot of threads that aren't usable/offtopic/etc etc.
I'd like to hear your suggestions if there's anything in particular you think should be added. All forum rules should apply anywhere, expect the off-topic forums. t/30842
DuckRice_old
Looks like no one noticed this. Here goes my attempt to revive this thread ;_;
I want to see some achievement screenshots, discoveries, and other shenanigans!
Drace
First osu!mania world cup \o/

Go!
DuckRice_old

Drace wrote:

First osu!mania world cup \o/

Go!
YEESSSSSSS
All information regarding the upcoming world cup can be found here.
Basically a 2v2 tourney, with binational teams allowed.
Mod usage and keycount currently unknown (Probably 7K?)
The osu!mania world cup in particular starts around this time next year, after the world cups for the other three game modes have finished.

The Polar Bears will certainly dominate everyone, leading our glazed Timbits and maple leaves to victory.
Maiz94

Louis wrote:

YEESSSSSSS
All information regarding the upcoming world cup can be found here.
Basically a 2v2 tourney, with binational teams allowed.
Mod usage and keycount currently unknown (Probably 7K?)
The osu!mania world cup in particular starts around this time next year, after the world cups for the other three game modes have finished.

The Polar Bears will certainly dominate everyone, leading our glazed Timbits and maple leaves to victory.
Finally, an official tournament of osu!mania. <3
Drace
I hope it's every key mode, i also hope mania grows enough by then to make that 2v2 a 4v4, i also hope the maps will be extremely varied, i also hope the polar bears' help will suffice, i also hope this tournament will attract so many ETs that we won't know what to do with ourselves anymore, i hope i hope i hope, etc, etc,

\:D/ im excited
Taadashi
I'm certainly happy that they finally anounced a tournament for osu!mania, but if I'm going to participate I'll really have to up my skill this coming year. :P
Koakuma_old
polar bears

polar bears

They can swim up to 30 mph. Canadians can hit notes at 30 notes per sec.
We are superior.
Bobbias
Canadians Unite!

Sorry if I offended anyone...
Not really, but I gotta keep up appearances.

In any case, it's nice to see mania getting a world cup, but I'm not really too interested in participating. I'm just not good enough yet.
Taadashi
Besides not being a good player, I'll probably not find anyone to partner up with. I'd rather seen it was a 1v1 tournament or something. :P
Lieselotte
:roll:
Hanyuu

Bobbias wrote:

Canadians Unite!

Sorry if I offended anyone...
Not really, but I gotta keep up appearances.

In any case, it's nice to see mania getting a world cup, but I'm not really too interested in participating. I'm just not good enough yet.
Come on, im looking forward to participate aswell and i know im far from the best myself :D
boat
I can't find any information about this anywhere so I'll just ask these two questions here.

If possible, how would one center the playfield? And what hitsounds would you recommend to use for not custom hitsounded maps? I only really got taiko hitsounds, and these sound very off when playing mania.
Hanyuu
To center it you do that with writing ColumnStart: XX in the ini files. XX being for a number and 0 is to the leftmost and the higher numbers just move it to the right, center it just try different numbers and see how this works out~ I havent tried it myself yet so i dont know the value for it though
For the hitsounds im not sure, Im using the normal hitsounds osu has come with. I dont think the hitsounds in the skin are as important compared to taiko and osu standard in that matter so i guess you can just use any or none at all. :)
Bobbias
I've got hitsounds turned down to 75% volume, and I prefer the soft hitsounds set, because between those options they're so quiet they're barely audible. It's personal preference.

Also my 6k.ini says that the maximum value of ColumnStart is 260.
God of Taiko
Hello, I will post this question here since I'm not sure where else I can post it:

I'd like to ask experienced o2jam/mania/etc players about middle key which by default is "space". How do you use your middle key? Do you alternate left right hands somehow or you just use it with your main hand, for example, left. Because what I noticed myself there are some patterns which are extremely annoying and frustrating without alternating, for example, 142414342414... and so on. Does this come from my noobishness and you just got used to it or do really good players play those patterns not very well also? Also, how do the best players use it? Because in taiko there is not much difference between playstyles, and amount of patterns is incomparable to o!mania, so I am a little bit confused what should I do to get better. I'd really like to hear your personal experience and not just generic answers: "git gud", or "play more ez game".
MeatloafCereal

God of Taiko wrote:

*space saver*
Personally, I use the middle key (spacebar) with my dominant hand, which is the left in my case because I'm faster with it and can control it better than the other. If ever there is a chord or pattern that asks for my right hand and the spacebar, that's when I use my right entirely. I will use my left if my right hand can't keep up with notes in patterns like these. There are some really annoying patterns though; like having 1/8 or 1/16 notes pressing only 1 button multiple times, which really can only come in practice

I'm not super pro, but that's how I play :oops:
Hanyuu
Such pattern as you described can be played with just one hand. I can see how it might be awkard but after a while you get it down and it will become a normal routine. For alternating the spacebar i only ever do that for really fast jacks or charts that meant it to be played this way. :)
Bobbias
I use the space bar, and my dominant hand to press it (my right hand in this case). Only thing I really have a huge problem with playing are jacks on the middle key (and crazy hard LNs, but that's not an issue of speed).

EDIT: On the off chance that someone hasn't seen this, I've posted a feature request for the mania editor for color coded "layers".
milky228_old
Not sure if this question should be posted in the tournament section or not so i'll post it here instead.

Why has nobody done an Osu!mania tournament yet? The world cup is the only event planned and it's almost a year away I think mania has enough maps for a tournament now and i'm sure plenty of high rank players would take part.
Bobbias
People have tried, but there were never enough people signing up.
Drace
I think the problem was more that the person in charge wasn't qualified to manage such an event. I'm pretty sure that if the right person is in charge a tournament would be no problem, we got players of every skill group left and right!
Jin Xero
Ill be very excited to see a mania tournament! Maybe we should try again \o/!
Doorknob_old
Here are some numbers from a rambling madman.

Calculating notes per second:

180BPM = 3BPS
4 Beats = 4 Quarter Notes = 1 Measure
3BPS = 3 Quarter Notes Per Second

Assume BMS chart at 180BPM has 1/16th 2-3 note chords.
Assume with 2-3 note chords, the notes averages to about 2.5 notes per chord.
Using previous calculations we know at 180BPM = 3 Quarter Notes Per Second (QNPS)
3 Quarter Notes Per Second * 2.5 (Notes Per Chord, treat as constant) * (16 Sixteenth Notes)/(4 Quarter Notes) = 30 Notes Per Second

To put Freedom Dive Four Dimensions in context.
Assume chart is at 222BPM with 1/16th chords that averages about 3.25 notes per chord.
222BPM * 1BPS/60BPM * 1QNPS/1BPS * 3.25 (Constant) * (16 Sixteenth Notes)/(4 Quarter Notes) = 48.1 Notes Per Second

Note that the constant guessed for FDFD is probably higher then what I came up with, since it alternates between 4-3-4-3 notes constantly.

Still.

MIND. BLOWN.