forum

Mouse: One reason you don't want to play mouse anymore

posted
Total Posts
show more
Aqo
I played some mouse today and had a ton of fun. Screw this thread \ : D /
Kanye West
Yeah mouse is the best, screw the haters.
puncia
I still like a lot playing with mouse; I don't play with it actively anymore though. My hand always gets so wet after a while the mouse goes everywhere ;w;
Nosher_old
because im terrible at the game
Akimari_old
I play with a mousepad and I'm not.. that bad. It's just hard to move your finger quickly from one place to another.

I'm going to present this thread to my mom with the topic "Another reason you should buy me a tablet"
VoidnOwO
:)
Zerostarry

Puncia wrote:

I still like a lot playing with mouse; I don't play with it actively anymore though. My hand always gets so wet after a while the mouse goes everywhere ;w;
lewd~

The only reason i'd switch is that my mouse falls off the mousepad sometimes when maps have too much left or right motion
meiikyuu

Kanye West wrote:

Yoeri
I kept accidentally lifting it.
Also unable to make small circles while spinning.
[CSGA]Ar3sgice
i play mouse because i'm a cat, nyanyanya (?
enik

[CSGA]Ar3sgice wrote:

i play mouse because i'm a cat, nyanyanya (?
LOL

I don't play mouse because I don't know how to hold it without losing control after any jump.
Winshley

Kanye West wrote:

I don't hate playing with mouse.

In fact, I actually enjoyed playing HD+FL with mouse because it's more challenging than to play with tablet (because you can use something to mark at the tablet to pinpoint the position. e.g: stickers).
buny

Winshley wrote:

Kanye West wrote:

I don't hate playing with mouse.

In fact, I actually enjoyed playing HD+FL with mouse because it's more challenging than to play with tablet (because you can use something to mark at the tablet to pinpoint the position. e.g: stickers).
tbh i don't think anybody does that
XripztEr
a skate(mouse) is broken because im playing too much though, clicks does not work anymore. and i can't afford to bought a one.
so i managed play with a keyboard, then i tried play with a tablet a couple months ago but i dont feel confortable to play, really!
sticks to mouse(mouse only to mouse+kb) :oops:
silmarilen
im still playing with mouse right now but the reason im switching is because of the absolute positioning and because i think its easier to make patterns compared to mouse
Espionage724
Mouse button lifespan. My first mouse had double-clicking issues relatively soon after learning of osu! :p

To be fair though, another reason I was using mouse was because I thought that was the only way to play (about a month later I heard someone mention they use keyboard in chat and I was curious)
Xyrene
Save money on cheese.

But just to be serious, there's a huge difference between moving a huge wired plastic contraption and a small, pen-shaped sized one.
-Soba-

Kanye West wrote:

Sotodashi
It sucks.
NAGISACHAn_old
Only playing with mouse but a lot of squares or circle movement and i need to reposition the mouse cause the cursor gets off, really hate it.
F m L_old
if i could stream for longer i would switch to mouse permanently, i can only do hard patterns but miss every deathstream
Mandrias
:shock: -_-
Running out of desk space...
Buying a mouse without mouse acceleration...
Hand hurting...

Okay, first if your running out of desk space you almost have to have mouse acceleration on, or you need to increase mouse sensitivity big time.
My mouse currently moves about 1 to 1 1/2 inches to make it to the other side of my screen, and I'm (with practice) able to do large jumps accurately.

Second, mouse acceleration is not an issue with your mouse (although some do have software that can disable mouse acceleration such as the razer ones using Razer Synapse) it is actually an issue with windows, and you can disable this. At this link CLICKMEIMALINK

And the last common problem I'm seeing is hand hurting, well that means you either play with a claw or fingertip grip when you use a mouse, your hand gets tired faster than a palm grip but you do have much faster movements, you should take a break...I use clawgrip and my hand starts to hurt after an hour or 2 of playing nonstop pretty much. Sooo yeahh, stand up, get some blood back into your ass, make sure your legs are still usable, grab a snack.

EDIT:: Just disabling mouse acceleration will make it so as long as your not hitting the edge of the screen, your mouse will never be out of position which allows you to find a nice way to hold it comfortably, and if you turn up sensitivity and practice, you'll notice you no longer use 99% of your mouse pad.
TakuMii

mandrias87 wrote:

:shock: -_-
Running out of desk space...
Buying a mouse without mouse acceleration...
Hand hurting...

Okay, first if your running out of desk space you almost have to have mouse acceleration on, or you need to increase mouse sensitivity big time.
My mouse currently moves about 1 to 1 1/2 inches to make it to the other side of my screen, and I'm (with practice) able to do large jumps accurately.

Second, mouse acceleration is not an issue with your mouse (although some do have software that can disable mouse acceleration such as the razer ones using Razer Synapse) it is actually an issue with windows, and you can disable this. At this link CLICKMEIMALINK
...rank 0 trying to give advice? :/

Actually, when you turn off mouse acceleration in the settings, you're only turning off software mouse acceleration. 99% of mice have around 5% hardware mouse acceleration, which you can't turn off. The mice that are labelled "no acceleration" actually still have a speed limit (a speed where the mouse glitches or can't track), but it's usually so fast that a normal person probably wouldn't be able to reach unless it they were moving the mouse as fast as humanly possible.
There's only about 7-8 different mice on the market that fit into this 'zero-acceleration' (aka 'flawless sensor') category, and they're all optical and are either old mice (like the IntelliMouse) or are around the range of 3500/4000dpi (like the Logitech G400). These mice are usually around the $40-50 price range and may be a worthy purchase for someone not willing to switch to tablet.

I've been through a normal Microsoft mouse, a Logitech MX300, an Alienware TactX mouse, Razer DeathAdder, and the legendary Microsoft IntelliMouse, and I guarantee that I've turned off any and all mouse acceleration settings on all of the mice (in the Synapse, TactX, Logitech, etc settings), and done several tests (in FPSes, in osu!, in other games, and even in Microsoft Paint) and only the last two mice (and my current mouse) were able to keep zero-acceleration tracking up to their speed limit (although the last two have relatively low max-speeds compared to other zero-acceleration mice, but you'll probably not reach them if you're only playing osu!, aside from the spinners).

mandrias87 wrote:

And the last common problem I'm seeing is hand hurting, well that means you either play with a claw or fingertip grip when you use a mouse, your hand gets tired faster than a palm grip but you do have much faster movements, you should take a break...I use clawgrip and my hand starts to hurt after an hour or 2 of playing nonstop pretty much. Sooo yeahh, stand up, get some blood back into your ass, make sure your legs are still usable, grab a snack.
Personally, I've been switching grips every time I've switched mice, and I've never had any issues with wrist nor hand pain. Even with my current mouse (which has a really strange shape IMO), I use a clawgrip and can play for hours on end with no issues. I think it just varies depending on the person.

mandrias87 wrote:

EDIT:: Just disabling mouse acceleration will make it so as long as your not hitting the edge of the screen, your mouse will never be out of position which allows you to find a nice way to hold it comfortably, and if you turn up sensitivity and practice, you'll notice you no longer use 99% of your mouse pad.
(responding to the bolded text): Unless you're already used to using a high sensitivity, this is a bad idea. You will lose a great deal of precision by setting a higher DPI. Even if you already use a higher DPI it's generally recommended to set the lowest DPI you have room for in order to achieve maximum precision, but if your mouse has acceleration you might feel the effects of it a lot stronger. Most mouse players play at around 400 to 1000 DPI, and a full-area tablet is technically 200-300 DPI (but takes up less room because a pen tip is much smaller than a mouse). High DPI is more suited for other games that don't need extremely precise mouse positioning (or games that require tons of movement for long periods of time), and isn't really ideal for osu!.
RaneFire
Cursor drift from relative positioning. Every now and then a wild miss appears on some easy part and I just sit there looking at my screen. :|

I'm kinda over it now since there is a tablet on my desk for ages now, might as well...

I still miss most of the harder patterns I could do with a mouse-only, but I can feel myself improving and my consistency is definitely much better. If I can FC a map, most times it gets FC'd. I can move onto the harder stuff a bit easier now too... cursor drift got real bad on songs that were too fast-paced for me, and this caused many a stutter/miss while streaming with mouse-only since posture of the fingers is quite important for consistent high speed.

And thanks for saving any unsuspecting newbie from that post.
primrose
After months playing with tablet I am not comfortable playing with mouse anymore. But I play mouse too when I'm bored.
Pizzicato
osu! hates my deathadder ; - ;
frame drops from 1.2k fps down to 200 and causes irritating lags whenever i move my mouse inside the osu! window :(
Rokk
Doing fine with my mouse so far, but I'd prefer a tablet for the spinning.
TakuMii

Pizzicato wrote:

frame drops from 1.2k fps down to 200 and causes irritating lags whenever i move my mouse inside the osu! window :(
Here's some tips I have for minimizing lagspikes (read the underlined words if tl;dr):

1. Lower your mouse's polling rate. On some computers, 1000Hz will sometimes cause inconsistent framerates in games (and on the 3G and 3.5G they're not even truly running at 1000Hz so it isn't worth using it over 500Hz).

2a. If you have a dedicated graphics card, go into your driver settings and set "Maximum pre-rendered frames" (Nvidia) or "Flip queue size" (AMD) to the lowest setting. What this does is decrease input lag to the point where setting your framelimit to 120fps will respond exactly the same as Unlimited, so you can set your framerate limit to 120fps to get a more consistent framerate without the input lag. This setting does make below-60fps framerates more choppy though, so if you play other games you might want to make this setting program-specific for osu!.

2b. If #2a isn't an option, try setting a custom framerate. In your osu!.username.cfg file, there's a line called "CustomFrameLimit". By default it's at 120 (that's why there's a 120fps option), but you can change that to something higher like 200.
Pizzicato

YayMii wrote:

Pizzicato wrote:

Here's some tips I have for minimizing lagspikes (read the underlined words if tl;dr):

1. Lower your mouse's polling rate. On some computers, 1000Hz will sometimes cause inconsistent framerates in games (and on the 3G and 3.5G they're not even truly running at 1000Hz so it isn't worth using it over 500Hz).

2a. If you have a dedicated graphics card, go into your driver settings and set "Maximum pre-rendered frames" (Nvidia) or "Flip queue size" (AMD) to the lowest setting. What this does is decrease input lag to the point where setting your framelimit to 120fps will respond exactly the same as Unlimited, so you can set your framerate limit to 120fps to get a more consistent framerate without the input lag. This setting does make below-60fps framerates more choppy though, so if you play other games you might want to make this setting program-specific for osu!.

2b. If #2a isn't an option, try setting a custom framerate. In your osu!.username.cfg file, there's a line called "CustomFrameLimit". By default it's at 120 (that's why there's a 120fps option), but you can change that to something higher like 200.
tech support team really needs a guy like you.
option 2.a fixed my problem. thanks
Mesita
after a year afk i'm sticking with my logitech g9x. No problems so far... just a little slower than tablet for dt.
Narunya
when i go out
ppl think i masturbate alot because my triceps huge from 200 dpi mouseonly
G0r

Narunya wrote:

when i go out
ppl think i masturbate alot because my triceps huge from 200 dpi mouseonly
LOL.

But seriously, I always kind of wished I'd started out as a keyboard and tablet player because it's ridiculous how much easier it is to aim that way. Although... I suspect it's not all that much harder to aim playing keyboard and mouse, so really for me I just wish I didn't click my mouse. XD I'd never switch now, though, because it's way too much muscle training and honestly my brain probably handles my current style better anyway.
boat
Accurate visual representation as to why

Anzo
^lol, they're not even looking at the screen...

Anyways, aside from hurting myself when using mouse, the cursor shakes even though i'm using low sensitivity settings (0.6x-0.8x) at 1000DPI...
And I think I need to buy a wider mousepad..
Winshley

Anzo-nii wrote:

Anyways, aside from hurting myself when using mouse, the cursor shakes even though i'm using low sensitivity settings (0.6x-0.8x) at 1000DPI...
You're using exactly the same settings as me, yet I don't have the "shaking cursor" issue... O_o
[Strike]
I actually tried a tablet for a while but I just wasn't having as much fun as I did with a mouse, not a really good reason why I switch back but I enjoy playing with my mouse instead of a tablet.
Kaoskadosk
It's sort of hard to explain, but I get a completely different feeling when playing with tablet. Maybe it's the absolute positioning, but when I play with a tablet I'm in complete sync with the music and the visuals, my hand moves like it's dancing across the surface and everything just feels so much better. The sensation of playing with a tablet isn't even comparable to that of playing with a mouse.

So that would be my only reason. I like when my hand dances.
Aplus
FuKx Dat Tablet Sh,t y0
Ballin Oldschool Mousing keepin it real
Kanye West

Aplus wrote:

FuKx Dat Tablet Sh,t y0
Ballin Oldschool Mousing keepin it real
Porsche
I have extreme trouble snapping a square pattern on mouse, its always lopsided :( but when i tried drawing a square quickly it was easier
show more