forum

The Maine - I Wanna Love You

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ken Cosgrove
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 at 4:01:50 PM

Artist: The Maine
Title: I Wanna Love You
BPM: 120
Filesize: 4276kb
Play Time: 02:56
Difficulties Available:
  1. Lovin' It (4.62 stars, 362 notes)
  2. Wantin' It (4.12 stars, 218 notes)
Download: The Maine - I Wanna Love You
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Just a note: Timing currently seems to be the biggest problem. (ty MetalMario201+awp)

UPDATE 5/1/09:
  1. Fixed normal difficulty (actually added some beats, and increased the overall star rating somehow, but the songs
  2. seems easier than before)
  3. Added a BG
  4. Added custom colors
  5. Started hitsound-ing things
  6. Edited Lovin' It difficulty (found some things i didn't like too much)
UPDATE 5/2/09:
  1. Blissfulyoshi's edits (mostly)
  2. SFG's edits (although some of the flow issues I couldn't actually find... maybe I already fixed it before you posted the mod?)
  3. Starrodkirby's edits
  4. 100% hitsounded
  5. mrtn's edits (some of the breaks didn't seem to change thoguh)
  6. Made some subtle changes to the beat as SFG suggested
  7. Lukewarm's suggestions and changed colors
  8. MetalMario's edits (didn't change Lovin' It's slider speed cause i didn't want to rearrange everything =[ )
  9. Metroid's fixes
  10. Takuma's fixes (didn't get rid of ugly whistles just yet though)
  11. MetalMario's new timing (makes me get a low accuracy, but sounds better for some odd reason xD )
UPDATE 5/8/09:
  1. eee's edits
  2. Sushi's edits (although i didn't want to have to reorganize most of the beats xD )
Well, this map is *almost* done...

3 difficulties 2 difficulties, 2 songs 1 song, 1 cover.

Currently, I still need to add in hitsounds and maybe some other media to make it less plain, but the map itself is basically done.

Anyways, any constructive criticism from mods and players will be welcome and appreciated.

BTW: I didn't know wtf to do for Snoop Dogg's stupid little solo, so as of now, it's just some bs sliders. If that's not okay, I'd love to get some suggestions + other possible design suggestions.

PS: There might be some stupid errors that are there that I didn't notice (I mapped the song a few months ago and uploaded a few days ago xD ).
K-S-O
You forgot to upload the song.
Rolled
I fucking love this song.

edit: aw, just akon's version no maine :( Make sure both mp3s are in the folder then do a full submission.
Topic Starter
Ken Cosgrove
really? wth, i'll get it fixed asap then =[
Rolled
All maps are pretty solid, in terms of how it was mapped.

Anyways, in terms of the separate mp3s, I'm not entirely sure if osu is supposed to handle multiple mp3s for a single map. I know it can, obviously, but not know if it's supposed to. So I would recommend just getting rid of which ever one you are least interested in, and stick with the other (I think you should keep the maine. Not only because I like the song, but I think it's mapped better.)

With that said, timing for the maine's version gets a bit weird. For the timing being, if you want to use 8130 offset and 120 BPM, that works well. Although depending on what part of the song its in (chorus, etc) it seems to be a bit early/late. That's probably due to the vocals that go a bit back and forth. Multiple timing sections may be required, but I'm not entirely sure. Hopefully somebody will come around after me and fix up the rough-draft timing I gave you.

Both difficulties are lacking hit sounds, and this song could work really well with some nice ones. For example, I'd recommend using soft sampleset for the beginning of the song, then using loud (with perhaps the volume turned down a bit) during the chorus, and other loud parts of the song.

ie: Make the first, initial offset be soft. Then in Compose mode, at 00:24:13, press ctrl + P. This will place a new timing section. After the section is placed, go into the timing setup panel and make sure the Inherit previous timing settings checkbox is checked (do this will all new sections that don't change the song's timing at all, usually just for hitsound changes.) After it's checked, click the audio tab and change the sample to normal. Place a finish sound on the slider's tail where you just made the new timing section and it'll sound great. Reverting back to soft sample set at 02:14:63() - would be a good idea then, too.

Anyways, after hitsounds and stuff are added, there's nothing really too wrong with Lovin' It difficulty. It just needs hitsounds and stuff to spice it up.

Normal on the other hand could use a bit of work. It looks rather cluttered with the big hitcircles and small spacing. When it comes to mapping normals, you should worry about turning the slider velocity a little less than hard's, keeping the same ish distance spacing divisor, lower difficulty settings slightly, and then most importantly, don't place as many hitcircles. Good, solid normals don't necessarily need really tiny spacing and stuff, as long as the notes aren't too close together. Stick with 1/1 and 1/2 beat snap divisor for the most part with anywhere from a .8 to 1.0 distance spacing depending on your slider velocity. It will make the map a lot less cluttered, and will be for the better.

Also, don't forget to add a background to the song and maybe some combo colors to match. Also consider removing akon's version, and submitting that alone with it's own normal difficulty if you'd like.
Topic Starter
Ken Cosgrove

Rolled wrote:

All maps are pretty solid, in terms of how it was mapped.
Yay, glad there wasn't too much wrong xD.

Rolled wrote:

Anyways, after hitsounds and stuff are added, there's nothing really too wrong with Lovin' It difficulty. It just needs hitsounds and stuff to spice it up.
Will get to that ASAP.

Rolled wrote:

Normal on the other hand could use a bit of work. It looks rather cluttered with the big hitcircles and small spacing. When it comes to mapping normals, you should worry about turning the slider velocity a little less than hard's, keeping the same ish distance spacing divisor, lower difficulty settings slightly, and then most importantly, don't place as many hitcircles. Good, solid normals don't necessarily need really tiny spacing and stuff, as long as the notes aren't too close together. Stick with 1/1 and 1/2 beat snap divisor for the most part with anywhere from a .8 to 1.0 distance spacing depending on your slider velocity. It will make the map a lot less cluttered, and will be for the better.
Thanks so much for this xD. I admit I'm not a great mapper of easy difficulties cause typical "hard-difficulty" songs seem pretty easy for me (now) =\ . So should I try and take out some beats?

Rolled wrote:

Also, don't forget to add a background to the song and maybe some combo colors to match. Also consider removing akon's version, and submitting that alone with it's own normal difficulty if you'd like.
Yeah, I found that difficulty a little stupid, too x]. But will having only two difficulties affect the chances of a song being ranked?

This is off-topic, but how do I (can I?) give out more than just 1 kudosu?
Rolled
2 difficulties won't effect it at all. All you need is one difficulty that's easy enough for the majority of osu to pass (usually <4 stars) For normal I'd recommend spacing them out a bit, and yeah, removing some notes here and there. (I'm saying this from memory, haven't opened the song back up)
v0xtrot
I know that you're going hard on drain on [Lovin' It], but please raise the overall difficulty by one or 2 snaps at least, it will make the map flow better, and make it more interesting (read: harder) :D

No comments on [Wantin' It] atm.

Contact me when you've (in your opinion) finished the hitsounds, and I'll look through them (I like to pretend like I'm actually good at sounds ;o). Also, I feel a slight drag in the sliders, please get someone to doublecheck the timing. Otherwise, really nice and interesting maps, starred! :D
Ryuukun
can't say anything to this.
Its great :)
blissfulyoshi
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
Ken Cosgrove

blissfulyoshi wrote:

Timing seems pretty much fine to me, but I am not that great at timing.

wantin' it
00:11:38 (1) - line exactly with the end of 8
00:14:38 (7) - make the end of this line up with the end of 5
00:21:13 (4) - make this a line with the end of 2 and 3
00:37:13 (2) - line this up with 1
00:37:88 (1) - a 3000 auto spinner is quite difficult for a normal diff.
your spacing seems to be pretty off at points 00:52:38 (1,2,3,4). The most of the area around this section has 1 of the 2 spacings in this section. I won't comment on this for the rest of the map but please fix this.
00:56:63 (1) - align with the end of 4
01:18:13 (1,2) - you should not have these 2 overlapping because overlapping sliders are not nice to look at.
01:37:38 (1,2) - align with the end of 5
01:53:13 (5) - this is slightly off from its alignment under 3
01:58:13 (4) - align with the end of 3
02:09:63 (3) - partially hidden by 1
02:12:38 (1) - a 3000 auto spinner is quite difficult for a normal diff.
02:18:13 (7) - align with the end of 6
02:26:13 (6) - this is heavily overlapped by 5. I would advise you change the shape and end the slider at the start of 5 or keep the slider far clear of 5
02:40:13 (2) - stack under the orange 1 better
02:42:13 (1) - I don't like how this is overlapped by the green 2

Lovin' it
00:22:88 (5) - I don't like how the 2, 4 covers part of this slider
00:45:88 (4) - stack under the end of 2
00:48:63 (1) - align with the end of 8
01:13:13 (8) - make this a clone of 7
01:18:88 (8) - I don't like overlapping sliders but I guess you can keep it. (I won't comment on this for the rest of the map)
01:35:88 (7) - line this up with the end of 4 or change the direction of the slider
02:10:63 (3,4) - find a way to make these 2 a horizontal reflection of 1, 2
02:18:13 (10) - stack on 6
02:26:63 (8) - stack this on the end of 5
02:35:88 (3) - stack this on 9

Fix the spacing and add hitsounds and you will probably be fine. Star.
lol, you could have just said "fix spacing" =P

yeah, i revised my spacing as you were modding, so they might not be exactly what you said, but they will be fixed for sure. i'll get to lovin' it after reading some more cliffsap bio
Yuukari-Banteki
[Wantin' It]
00:11:38 (1) - stack this under the end of 8
00:11:38 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7) - getting repetitive in and of itself...needs more hitsound
00:21:88 (1) - scoot this farther west so it flows better from 4
00:42:88 (2) - make this start vertical so it flows from 1 (or change the direction of 1)
00:58:63 (1) - align over 4
01:07:38 (1) - align over 5
01:11:38 (2) - align w 1
01:14:88 (2) - make this flow better from 1
01:27:13 (5) - move out from under 4
01:53:13 (5) - stack under 3
02:05:63 (2) - move under 1
02:24:13 (4,5,6) - slider overlap is ugly
02:40:13 (2) - improper stacking
02:40:13 (2,1,2) - slider overlap is ugly
02:46:13 (1) - doesnt flow well from 4
you need a LOT more hitsounds in here...i think i heard *one* and you should have them evenly spaced throughout on about 1/5 of the notes

[Lovin' It]
00:11:38 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15) - pattern is both boring and completely devoid of hitsounds...break up the rhythm, use sliders, w/e but this is *yawn*
00:22:88 (5) - this first section is just...boring...im sorry but it is :<
00:32:13 (1) - finish
00:35:50 (5) - add a note 1/4 after this (but this is a lot more interesting than what you had before!)
00:56:63 (1) - doesnt flow well from 5
01:05:63 (6) - stack under 4
01:12:13 (7) - i would prefer it if this wasnt covered by any other notes
01:39:38 (5) - new combo
01:42:13 (4) - sliders may not overlap themselves like this, its illegal
01:46:38 (7,9) - align horizontally w 6,8
01:47:38 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10) - break up this rhythm
01:55:38 (5) - new combo
01:58:13 (12) - ^
02:02:13 (4) - stack the end on the start of 3
02:19:38 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11) - break up the rhythm
02:49:88 (3) - center between 1 and 2
02:52:88 (3) - ^
02:55:88 (12) - add a note 1/2 after this
map is STILL vastly lacking hitsounds and very repetitive and boring :( please try changing your rhythm up and creating new patterns, not just aesthetically but rhythmically
Starrodkirby86
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
ONCExMIDZY
this beatmap is awesome

star for you!
mrtn
lukewarmholiday
No complaints except hitcircles may be a tad to close to the background color, red hitcircles would make a nice contrast IMO.
mm201
You have the go-ahead to use the Love Beam circles. :)

BPM: 120.000
Offset: 100

A slider tick rate of 2 sounds better all around.

Wantin' It:
  1. No custom hitcircle colours here?
  2. 01:52:13 (3,5) - Overlap looks awkward IMO.
  3. 02:21:88 (6,7) - Finish abuse?
Lovin' It:
  1. Approach rate seems awfully fast for the pace of the map.
  2. The slider speed seems slow for this difficulty.
  3. 02:29:63 (1) - Hard to tell which direction this slider's going to go.
Metroid
Takuma
All:
  • IMO, the normal-whistles were poorly placed and do not fit at all with the song.
    Also, it appears to me that the timing is off still!
Lovin' It:
  • 1. 00:22:85 (5) - My ears tell me this should be extended by 1/8th. If you do decide to change this, redo the break that comes straight after.
    2. 00:31:50 (1,1,1,1,1) - Remove new combos.
    Eh, I think it would be better if you'd end the song in soft-whistles, rather than soft-claps.
Wantin' It:
  • 1. 00:22:85 (5) - My ears tell me this should be extended by 1/8th. If you do decide to change this, redo the break that comes straight after.
    2. 00:33:35 (1) - Remove new combo.
    3. 01:24:85 (1) - ^
    4. 02:18:10 (7) - 1 level 3 grid down.
Note - Not all lyrics in the song need a beat.
mm201
show more