forum

Arm gets sore very quickly (tablet)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Bonobo
I find that even playing easy songs my arms get very tired very quickly and I can notice a difference in speed, I know the problem is that all my movements with my pen are done by moving my arm but I have no clue how to correct it as I can hardly reach very far without moving my arm around the tablet, has anyone with the same problems been able to fix this, it's really starting to destroy my stamina and keeping me from going on to harder songs.
Satonaka
How big is your area/tablet. Try to use more wrist than arm.
Topic Starter
Bonobo
I'm using full area atm but playing on windowed
Also curious if my grip may be a reason for my inability to move around with my wrist
Yumz
I suggest starting out with a smaller area and making it gradually bigger as your hand gets stronger.
Topic Starter
Bonobo

Yumz wrote:

I suggest starting out with a smaller area and making it gradually bigger as your hand gets stronger.
I just tried that and it seems so sensitive that my accuracy is awful, does it take a bit to get used to it?
Satonaka
It could also be from how you grip your pen. Try out some hand grips and find which one suits you best. Other than that, practice and build up your stamina.
Topic Starter
Bonobo
Alright I'm going to try a smaller tablet area for now and it seems to be hitting my wrist so I'll stick with that for a while. Thanks for the help everyone
JAKACHAN
Fight through the pain if you ask me.

No really using a full tablet full screen with moving my arm on super long jumpy maps I do feel pain but I've gotten used to it due to hobbies so I just keep going.
Topic Starter
Bonobo

JAKACHAN wrote:

No really using a full tablet full screen with moving my arm on super long jumpy maps I do feel pain but I've gotten used to it due to hobbies so I just keep going.
Well if it eventually goes away I'm fine with it lol, do you use your wrist a lot too or mostly just move your arm, I found the problem for me besides stamina is trying to move your arm down to reach low corners of a map :/
Yumz
I didn't really have any problems at all with my tablet hand, but i started out with a really small area size. I tried starting out with a full area but the jumps were just impossible for me.

I played with a really small size for about 6 months 'til i switched to near full area, even though i was comfortable with the smaller size. You should try out various sizes and even spots, the location doesn't have to be smack dab in the middle of the tablet. Also the position you sit while playing also matters.
Topic Starter
Bonobo

Yumz wrote:

I didn't really have any problems at all with my tablet hand, but i started out with a really small area size. I tried starting out with a full area but the jumps were just impossible for me.

I played with a really small size for about 6 months 'til i switched to near full area, even though i was comfortable with the smaller size. You should try out various sizes and even spots, the location doesn't have to be smack dab in the middle of the tablet. Also the position you sit while playing also matters.
I know this seems like an extremely weird question but I still haven't found it for myself, is the tablet usually pretty far away from you or close? :p
Yumz
That depends on the area size and grip. If you use your wrist and fingers more then keeping it closer to you helps.. well it helped me :P
If you start using your hand as well then having it a bit further is better I suppose, though I'm not an expert on the centimeters and millimeters.

I suggest positioning it the way it feels most comfortable for you, everyone has different tastes.
JAKACHAN

Bonobo wrote:

JAKACHAN wrote:

Well if it eventually goes away I'm fine with it lol, do you use your wrist a lot too or mostly just move your arm, I found the problem for me besides stamina is trying to move your arm down to reach low corners of a map :/

That's how I play at the moment (Just recorded 2 days ago)
D33d
Try to loosen your grip, if you usually grip the pen tightly.
Mithos
I've had this issue too. I can only play 3 songs straight until my wrist gets really sore. I've had the tablet for around 2 years now and I've used it off and on since I got it, nothing got any better. I don't think it's normal finger stamina because I've done 12 hour stepmania marathons without getting tired until around 6 hours in. It might be something with the wrist, but I have no idea how to fix it.
winber1
MEDIUM AREA BEST AREA
Amefuri Koneko
You will get used to it in time, took me like half a year to be able to play for a really long time without getting any pain in the wrist. I use almost full area, Actually, it's my left that gets sore and tired now, as I started playing (and failing D:) some crazy bpm AR10 stuff in multi.

winber1 wrote:

MEDIUM AREA BEST AREA
Most of "full area players" are actually medium area players btw :3, cause they play windowed with quite low resolution.
Almost

Mithost wrote:

I've had this issue too. I can only play 3 songs straight until my wrist gets really sore. I've had the tablet for around 2 years now and I've used it off and on since I got it, nothing got any better. I don't think it's normal finger stamina because I've done 12 hour stepmania marathons without getting tired until around 6 hours in. It might be something with the wrist, but I have no idea how to fix it.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md55.htm
Pizzicato

JAKACHAN wrote:

i did that once. broke the joint on my right pointer and had to do a little surgery ;w;
buny
never had this problem