forum

6k or 7k

posted
Total Posts
show more
TouchFluffyTail
As a primary 4k player who is also doing some higher key training every now and then - I jumped straight to 7k, since for me the hardest part of 7k is the middle lane.

I'd say figure out what you want to practice first, middle odd lane, or extra fingers. If you want to train up some middle lane you could try 5k, if you just want to try getting your dexterity up in your extra fingers you could focus on 6k. Or you could just jump into the deep end and crash course it with 7k.

As a word of advice auto converted 7k maps in O!M aren't that great, they're a little weird as far as actual 7k playing goes. You should try to stick to mania specific maps or nab some o2jam conversions.
Flanster
For me playing 6K does NOT help me even one bit to improve at 7K, I suggest you move to 7K ..OR 5K if you want less keys to get used to the space button for middle key because its pretty tricky compared to 4K/6K which doesn't have a middle key. Start off with easier songs on 7K and try to move up gradually. Getting used to the keys is very important if you want to get better.
Topic Starter
Shadow
Alright, I'll bite the bullet then and move on to 7k then.

Thanks for the feedback :)
Dazzy
Lower BPM songs is usually the easier ones, and ofcourse easier difficultys.
VoidnOwO

Lolicore Flandre wrote:

space button
Seriously?
Runamii
i'm move to 7K because i want to new challenge for me :D
TamaraMarie
Yeah, definitely good to just skip 6k and move on to 7k. 7k is the hardest for me because it's an odd number of keys. Naturally, it's easier for most to play 4k and 6k because they're symmetrical and you're using the same amount of fingers (and normally, the same fingers) on each hand. However, for 5k and 7k, you have to decide which keys and fingers you want to use in the most comfortable manner.

And 8k is just plain evil. Never play it for it is a spawn of Satan.
TouchFluffyTail

TamaraMarie wrote:

Yeah, definitely good to just skip 6k and move on to 7k. 7k is the hardest for me because it's an odd number of keys. Naturally, it's easier for most to play 4k and 6k because they're symmetrical and you're using the same amount of fingers (and normally, the same fingers) on each hand. However, for 5k and 7k, you have to decide which keys and fingers you want to use in the most comfortable manner.

And 8k is just plain evil. Never play it for it is a spawn of Satan.

8k is baby mode.

Waiting on 14k support.

IchibiNoKitsune
I can not find a combination to play 7K
my keyboard does not let you use many keys

But I did manage to find for 6K

configuration
4K - KL FG
5K - FG JKL
6K - DFG JKL
Bobbias
I've been playing Stepmania and O2jam for years off and on now (10 years since I started Stepmania) so I've had experience with 4k style and 7k. I prefer 7k, mostly because if the patterns. Oddly, I suck at 6k even though I'm decent at 7k. I need the spacebar to help me tell whether a note is on the left side or the right.

Every keyboard's ghosting patterns are different. I play 7k and I had to modify my keys just a bit from the standard layout.

I use:
SDF HJK

SDF JKL wouldn't work because L causes ghosting.

USB keyboards can't use more than 6 keys at once, due to limitations in how USB works. PS/2, the old round connector, can allow more than 6 keys at once, but most keyboards still have ghosting issues. Connecting a USB keyboard through a USB to PS/2 converter will NOT help.
IchibiNoKitsune

Bobbias wrote:

I've been playing Stepmania and O2jam for years off and on now (10 years since I started Stepmania) so I've had experience with 4k style and 7k. I prefer 7k, mostly because if the patterns. Oddly, I suck at 6k even though I'm decent at 7k. I need the spacebar to help me tell whether a note is on the left side or the right.

Every keyboard's ghosting patterns are different. I play 7k and I had to modify my keys just a bit from the standard layout.

I use:
SDF HJK

SDF JKL wouldn't work because L causes ghosting.

USB keyboards can't use more than 6 keys at once, due to limitations in how USB works. PS/2, the old round connector, can allow more than 6 keys at once, but most keyboards still have ghosting issues. Connecting a USB keyboard through a USB to PS/2 converter will NOT help.
Then you would have to use a control those who want to play well 7K (?)

when playing emulators on PC had that problem of not being able to press many keys, so I got a USB control

Anyway, I like playing 6K
Bobbias
I'm not completely sure what you mean. Sometimes you get lucky, and the standard keys work fine. Sometimes you have to change things, sometimes it turns out you have a keyboard that can't do more than 6 no matter what.

Anyway, play what you want. 7k will probably have the most people focusing on it but you don't have to play it if you don't want to. I prefer 7k because I'm so used to it, and I like it. If you feel like playing 6k, go play 6k. But there will be more people making maps for 7k.
Nathanael

Lolicore Flandre wrote:

For me playing 6K does NOT help me even one bit to improve at 7K, I suggest you move to 7K ..OR 5K if you want less keys to get used to the space button for middle key because its pretty tricky compared to 4K/6K which doesn't have a middle key. Start off with easier songs on 7K and try to move up gradually. Getting used to the keys is very important if you want to get better.
I agree at you Flandre.
Your thumb will just rest on 6K and you'll just not get used to the middle.

I'd prefer playing 7K. I'm getting used to use my 2 thumbs on tapping the space bar for the center. It makes 7K more easier for me :3
( I use the thumbs depending on the combination of the falling notes. )
Agka
People will mostly make maps for 7k. This is true, so I'm moving away from it into 6k and 8k, because I hate the spacebar.

Mind you, I can play 7k.
IchibiNoKitsune

Agka wrote:

People will mostly make maps for 7k. This is true, so I'm moving away from it into 6k and 8k, because I hate the spacebar.

Mind you, I can play 7k.
A I do not like the space bar
Icyteru
i don't have horizontal rollover for 3keys or more lol. I'm stuck with 5K - fv b hu.

however, i think 7K might work if I use rfv "space" bhu
Bobbias

[AirCoN] wrote:

i don't have horizontal rollover for 3keys or more lol. I'm stuck with 5K - fv b hu.

however, i think 7K might work if I use rfv "space" bhu
Wow, that sounds horrible :/ All I had to adjust for was my hands being a bit close lol.
VoidnOwO
:)
Bobbias

BRBP wrote:

All I had to do is buy a USB-keyboard and use any 7-key combination I want.
Life's hard.
From: http://blog.controlspace.org/2010/08/n- ... ow-to.html
USB protocol limitation - A max of 10 simultaneous key presses are recognized, 6 non-modifier keys ('w', 'a', 's', 'd', etc) + 4 modifier keys (Shift, Caps, Ctrl, etc). Although you are limited to 6 regular keys you are still guaranteed that any combination of keys will be recognized properly if you have an n-key rollover keyboard. I would guess that most people would not need support for more keys than this. I would also guess that the 6 key limit may have had something to do with braille input requirements rather than someone choosing an arbitrary limit (although that doesn't explain why the limit exists in the first place).
Unless your keyboard uses some unusual custom drivers, you must be using a modifier key to get 7 keys at once over USB. I suggest everyone check out that link, since it explains ghosting and n-key rollover fairly well.
VoidnOwO

Bobbias wrote:

custom drivers
Obviously.
andromeda2020
Since I play o2jam waaaaaaaaaayyyyyy before this I prefer 7k :)
xxbidiao
I prefer 4/6key.
I've played for 5 years of 4/6/8 keys on DJMAX(yeah, a little 5k), my 7key experience is limited. (Nearly 2 years?)
I'm still not fully going well with the space key and the slider patterns in 7key, so I feel 7key a great challenge to me.
Though you may play all keys that you like, for there are mappers willing to make maps on every key amounts.
CooLExtreme

Shadow wrote:

So, I've decided to move away from 4k, since I wanted a bigger challenge. So, last week or so I've been messing around with 6k. (with the ultimate goal of moving over to 7k in the end of the day) I'm still missing a lot, but I'm slowly getting the hang of it. Liking it a lot too.

I'm just wondering if I'm shooting myself in the foot? Should I skip 6k, bite the bullet and jump straight to 7k? Or, once I'm decent at 6k, will it help make 7key easier to learn?
Just jump into 7k :3 You'll get to impress the ladies, and everyone will want to be your friend

Bobbias wrote:

While it is true that USB does not allow more than 6 keys at once, if you connect your USB keyboard to a PS/2 port via a USB to PS/2 converter, it WILL get over the USB 6-key limit (not the keyboard's inherent ghosting, though)
Bobbias

CooLExtreme wrote:

Shadow wrote:

So, I've decided to move away from 4k, since I wanted a bigger challenge. So, last week or so I've been messing around with 6k. (with the ultimate goal of moving over to 7k in the end of the day) I'm still missing a lot, but I'm slowly getting the hang of it. Liking it a lot too.

I'm just wondering if I'm shooting myself in the foot? Should I skip 6k, bite the bullet and jump straight to 7k? Or, once I'm decent at 6k, will it help make 7key easier to learn?
Just jump into 7k :3 You'll get to impress the ladies, and everyone will want to be your friend

Bobbias wrote:

While it is true that USB does not allow more than 6 keys at once, if you connect your USB keyboard to a PS/2 port via a USB to PS/2 converter, it WILL get over the USB 6-key limit (not the keyboard's inherent ghosting, though)
Can you show me something that proves that? I don't want to outright say you're wrong, because I don't know everything about how that stuff works, but I was under the impression that it still wouldn't work that way. If you have a link that explains how that works I'd appreciate it (I'm honestly interested to see if that's true). A quick google search says that some keyboard manufacturers (rosewill, and CM Storm's Quickfire keyboards among others) do claim to achieve NKRO through a USB to PS/2 adapter, but that most others still don't. (http://forum.notebookreview.com/accesso ... ost8779284)

I should also point out that it's confirmed a number of keyboards are stuck with 6kro even with an adapter (in the same thread) and that the keyboard mentioned here are rather expensive compared to your standard $5 basic USB keyboard.
CooLExtreme

Bobbias wrote:

Can you show me something that proves that? I don't want to outright say you're wrong, because I don't know everything about how that stuff works, but I was under the impression that it still wouldn't work that way. If you have a link that explains how that works I'd appreciate it (I'm honestly interested to see if that's true). A quick google search says that some keyboard manufacturers (rosewill, and CM Storm's Quickfire keyboards among others) do claim to achieve NKRO through a USB to PS/2 adapter, but that most others still don't. (http://forum.notebookreview.com/accesso ... ost8779284)

I should also point out that it's confirmed a number of keyboards are stuck with 6kro even with an adapter (in the same thread) and that the keyboard mentioned here are rather expensive compared to your standard $5 basic USB keyboard.
Unfortunately, how it works is well above me. Still, the existence of a single USB keyboard without any special drivers supporting >6KRO through a USB to PS/2 adapter is enough to show that the adapter does in fact help to get over the USB limit. My current keyboard is a Das Keyboard, and it supports NKRO when I connect it via PS/2 through an adapter. I've also had a Microsoft and Samsung keyboard that would do the same (well, not NKRO but >6KRO).

Long story short: The adapter works to get over the USB limit, but you're still stuck having to deal with a keyboard's inherent ghosting due to its wiring anyway.
Hanyuu

Shadow wrote:

If your wish is to play 7k mode just play it right away. If you never played with so many keys before it can be a hard start though so just start very very basic. At the beginning it is fast to learn and soon you will be able to play atleast easy songs without too much worry. If you want to play 6k just play 6k :P
There is no real rule on "what to play" or "should i this or that" its just a different game mode and it does not mean everyone sticks to one mode all the time. Just enjoy all playstyles available if you want
Bobbias

CooLExtreme wrote:

Bobbias wrote:

Unfortunately, how it works is well above me. Still, the existence of a single USB keyboard without any special drivers supporting >6KRO through a USB to PS/2 adapter is enough to show that the adapter does in fact help to get over the USB limit. My current keyboard is a Das Keyboard, and it supports NKRO when I connect it via PS/2 through an adapter. I've also had a Microsoft and Samsung keyboard that would do the same (well, not NKRO but >6KRO).

Long story short: The adapter works to get over the USB limit, but you're still stuck having to deal with a keyboard's inherent ghosting due to its wiring anyway.
Well yes, ghosting will always be an issue unless you happen to pay for one of the ones with diode circuits. I guess it just comes down to the keyboard itself on whether you're gonna get NKRO using a PS/2 adapter or not... Not an answer I like, but I guess it'll have to do for now. I may do a bit more research on this though. I'm studying electrical engineering and have some computer programming experience, so while I don't actually know much of the details on USB HID implementation, if I can find someone who has figured out how that stuff works, I'll be able to understand it. If I do happen to find out how it works and such, I may post something about it. And yeah, Das is a company I'd expect to have NKRO like that. They make quality stuff (if you can afford to put that much down on a keyboard anyway).

Maybe we should have a stickied thread explaining ghosting/nkro with a list of keyboards that are confirmed to have NKRO?
Remillion Cross
You should play 7K if you want to challenge yourself :D . 6K is the great challenge too, but the mostly playmode in osu!mania is 7K, so try 7K first and then 6K later, if you can 7K, 6K should not be your problem 8-)

If you still having a problem with 7K, try Western song. Many Western song are slow ( BPM under 180 ) and easy to be learn, so you should try western song, and if you can play it perfectly, try Japanese song then. I think you is a good player, because you want to challenging yourself and getting to 6K/7K. The Fact, many osu!mania players still in 4K :x, so i think you is a best newbie :)
TouchFluffyTail

Bobbias wrote:

Well yes, ghosting will always be an issue unless you happen to pay for one of the ones with diode circuits. I guess it just comes down to the keyboard itself on whether you're gonna get NKRO using a PS/2 adapter or not... Not an answer I like, but I guess it'll have to do for now. I may do a bit more research on this though. I'm studying electrical engineering and have some computer programming experience, so while I don't actually know much of the details on USB HID implementation, if I can find someone who has figured out how that stuff works, I'll be able to understand it. If I do happen to find out how it works and such, I may post something about it. And yeah, Das is a company I'd expect to have NKRO like that. They make quality stuff (if you can afford to put that much down on a keyboard anyway).

Maybe we should have a stickied thread explaining ghosting/nkro with a list of keyboards that are confirmed to have NKRO?

I've got my USB keyboard hooked up with a ps/2 adapter and I can basically lay down on the entire thing without ghosting, but I've never tried it just straight USB before. So I'm not sure if it's due to the adapter or just good construction, I need to test it out.
Yuugo
I've connected my keyboard with a standard usb cable to a standard usb port. I can press at least 8 keys simultaneously. I don't know what the max is since I've never got a way to try it.

I'll update this post later on how this stuff works, I think I've got a book that covers it lying around somewhere.

Okay here we go.

First off let us take a look at the terminology around this. It comes down to three terms that are sadly used interchangeably in the marketing of keyboards, while they are completely different things.

• Ghosting
    Blocking
    Key Rollover
Ghosting
Ghosting is, in contrary to popular belief, NOT the act of keys not being registered. It is, in fact, the opposite. Ghosting comes from an incorrect implementation of the electrical circuit of your keyboard (PM/talk to me in-game if you're interested in how).

Say you press Q and S. You'd want your computer to register just those two keys. A keyboard that 'ghosts' registers an additional ghost-key as well. In this case, most likely the letter A. If you experience ghosting, you need to go back to the store you bought that keyboard and smack them in the face with it. This should not happen these days!

Blocking
Blocking is what people are usually actually talking about when they say ghosting. This is a (bad) solution to prevent ghosting. Basically what it comes down to, is the manufacturer of your keyboard limiting the amount of key-presses that can be registered simultaneously to disable the keyboard from registering a ghost key. Depending on the construction of your keyboard, the amount of keys and the combination of what keys that can be pressed varies from board to board.

Blocking is a solution that was introduced to cut costs of the manufacturing of the keyboards, rather than solving the problem of ghosting, they implemented a (in my opinion, bad) workaround for it.

Key Rollover
This is also named N-Key Rollover, NKRO, 2KRO or 6KRO or WhatevernumberKRO. Well, they're more examples of Key Rollover, but whatever.

So, let's say your manufactured isn't a greedy bastard and actually solves the problem of ghosting by improving their circuitry. The keyboard no longer registers wrong keys and also accepts unlimited simultaneous key-presses. Great! We now have the perfect keyboard that has N-Key Rollover. Sounds like the perfect keyboard to me.
But there is another limiter on the amount of registrations that can me made at the same time. This is your connection to the computer. These are either USB or PS/2(those round plugs that used to be the standard before USB).
PS/2 transfers NKRO perfectly. If your keyboard has a circuitry that supports NKRO and uses a PS/2 plug, you should be able to press all your keys at the same time and have all of them registered fine. This means we now have a perfect keyboard!
USB on the other hand, can be limited to 6KRO. This happens because the most common USB Human Interface Device (HID) protocol used these days do not accept more than 6 simultaneous keys. So now what?

My keyboard is USB, how am I supposed to get N-Key Rollover?
First of all, don't be afraid. There are manufacturers out there that have found solutions to implement inside their boards for NKRO (talk/PM me if you're interested in how). If you're lucky you don't have to do anything.
Next is the tricky part, what if your keyboard is not already NKRO upon delivery?
The first thing you need to do is discover whether your keyboard support 6KRO. If it doesn't, you've sadly fallen victim to price cutting of the manufacturer and there is nothing you can do besides buying a different board. If it does, you can solve the USB HID limit yourself with a USB->PS/2 adapter. If your computer had an input for PS/2, this should solve your problems. Sadly, most new laptops and some minimalistic motherboards do not have an PS/2 port. If this is the case, you wil need a USB->PS/2 adapter AND an active PS/2->USB converter. This converter is specially made to support unlimited keypresses so that would solve your problem as well.

In case you're lazy: TL;DR. Seriously though, read it. At least know what you're talking about so you won't look like an idiot saying your keyboard 'ghosts'.
Ghosting: Keys that are not being pressed are still registered.
Blocking: Keys that are being pressed, are not registered.
Key Rollover: The highest amount of keys that can be registered simultaneously.

USB limit:
Got 6KRO? Get a USB->PS/2 adapter or if you do not have a PS/2 port, get both a USB->PS/2 and an active PS/2 -> USB converter
Don't have 6KRO? Welp, too bad. You're gonna have to buy a new keyboard if you want NKRO.
CooLExtreme

Yuugo wrote:

I've connected my keyboard with a standard usb cable to a standard usb port. I can press at least 8 keys simultaneously. I don't know what the max is since I've never got a way to try it.

I'll update this post later on how this stuff works, I think I've got a book that covers it lying around somewhere.

Okay here we go.

First off let us take a look at the terminology around this. It comes down to three terms that are sadly used interchangeably in the marketing of keyboards, while they are completely different things.

• Ghosting
    Blocking
    Key Rollover
Ghosting
Ghosting is, in contrary to popular belief, NOT the act of keys not being registered. It is, in fact, the opposite. Ghosting comes from an incorrect implementation of the electrical circuit of your keyboard (PM/talk to me in-game if you're interested in how).

Say you press Q and S. You'd want your computer to register just those two keys. A keyboard that 'ghosts' registers an additional ghost-key as well. In this case, most likely the letter A. If you experience ghosting, you need to go back to the store you bought that keyboard and smack them in the face with it. This should not happen these days!

Blocking
Blocking is what people are usually actually talking about when they say ghosting. This is a (bad) solution to prevent ghosting. Basically what it comes down to, is the manufacturer of your keyboard limiting the amount of key-presses that can be registered simultaneously to disable the keyboard from registering a ghost key. Depending on the construction of your keyboard, the amount of keys and the combination of what keys that can be pressed varies from board to board.

Blocking is a solution that was introduced to cut costs of the manufacturing of the keyboards, rather than solving the problem of ghosting, they implemented a (in my opinion, bad) workaround for it.

Key Rollover
This is also named N-Key Rollover, NKRO, 2KRO or 6KRO or WhatevernumberKRO. Well, they're more examples of Key Rollover, but whatever.

So, let's say your manufactured isn't a greedy bastard and actually solves the problem of ghosting by improving their circuitry. The keyboard no longer registers wrong keys and also accepts unlimited simultaneous key-presses. Great! We now have the perfect keyboard that has N-Key Rollover. Sounds like the perfect keyboard to me.
But there is another limiter on the amount of registrations that can me made at the same time. This is your connection to the computer. These are either USB or PS/2(those round plugs that used to be the standard before USB).
PS/2 transfers NKRO perfectly. If your keyboard has a circuitry that supports NKRO and uses a PS/2 plug, you should be able to press all your keys at the same time and have all of them registered fine. This means we now have a perfect keyboard!
USB on the other hand, can be limited to 6KRO. This happens because the most common USB Human Interface Device (HID) protocol used these days do not accept more than 6 simultaneous keys. So now what?

My keyboard is USB, how am I supposed to get N-Key Rollover?
First of all, don't be afraid. There are manufacturers out there that have found solutions to implement inside their boards for NKRO (talk/PM me if you're interested in how). If you're lucky you don't have to do anything.
Next is the tricky part, what if your keyboard is not already NKRO upon delivery?
The first thing you need to do is discover whether your keyboard support 6KRO. If it doesn't, you've sadly fallen victim to price cutting of the manufacturer and there is nothing you can do besides buying a different board. If it does, you can solve the USB HID limit yourself with a USB->PS/2 adapter. If your computer had an input for PS/2, this should solve your problems. Sadly, most new laptops and some minimalistic motherboards do not have an PS/2 port. If this is the case, you wil need a USB->PS/2 adapter AND an active PS/2->USB converter. This converter is specially made to support unlimited keypresses so that would solve your problem as well.

In case you're lazy: TL;DR. Seriously though, read it. At least know what you're talking about so you won't look like an idiot saying your keyboard 'ghosts'.
Ghosting: Keys that are not being pressed are still registered.
Blocking: Keys that are being pressed, are not registered.
Key Rollover: The highest amount of keys that can be registered simultaneously.

USB limit:
Got 6KRO? Get a USB->PS/2 adapter or if you do not have a PS/2 port, get both a USB->PS/2 and an active PS/2 -> USB converter
Don't have 6KRO? Welp, too bad. You're gonna have to buy a new keyboard if you want NKRO.
Potatoes, tomatoes. Blame the keyboard manufacturers http://www.microsoft.com/appliedscience ... ained.mspx http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboar ... i-ghosting . What is this keyboard that does NKRO through a USB port is what I care about.
Dazzy
I would say if you were to buy a keyboard, try to agree with the salesman that if it where to be "ghosting" that you can return it, personally I have not had a problem with this in the past.
Yuugo
Ghosting was an issue back in the late '70s. I'd be surprised if a keyboard nowadays has that issue.
Kanade4Life
I'm also trying to move on from 4k play with 5k or 7k maybe right now

should I start with an easy or normal diff or just go for the insane one ??
[Shiroyasha]

Kanade4Life wrote:

Go for the hardest difficulty you can play smoothly
Connormgs
6k.
Hanyuu

[Shiroyasha] wrote:

Kanade4Life wrote:

Go for the hardest difficulty you can play smoothly

Double necro~

Yeah go for the one that you can play. Labels like easy normal insane etc can range from too easy for you to absolute undplayable to you. Try to see the difficulty in the note setup instead
LongGone
The alternate solution for the USB 6key maximum blockage thing
use two USB keyboards
Agka

LongGone wrote:

The alternate solution for the USB 6key maximum blockage thing
use two USB keyboards
^^^^^^^^^^
this
TakuMii
My G710+ gets around the USB 6-key limit by making Windows detect it as 4 keyboards...it should be 24-key rollover if you do the math but testing shows that it actually has 26-key rollover :|
also, there are many keyboards that aren't compatible with PS/2 adapters, such as mine.
show more