forum

#english [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +63
show more
jesse1412

XPJ38 wrote:

MMzz wrote:

#osu is just a giant place of offtopic/spam accounts/SPECTATE ME!/directing people to the proper language channels. There is no actual channel for just regular English discussion.I say offtopic because afaik #osu was made for gameplay discussion and it's far from it. The only place where actual chat happens (sometimes) is #modhelp, (well, used to happen there. Now it's just a group of babbling trolls or occasional mapping/modding talk.) and we don't want that happening anymore, we want #modhelp to be a mapping/modding channel. So what is the harm of giving English speakers a designated channel, free from all the interruptions of #osu?
What if those same people of #osu talk in both #osu and #english because they can't see the difference? I suppose that would boil down to the same thing.

(I'm not against the idea, I'm just wondering what this feature request would give in practice if it was implemented)
Same reason they don't speak in #taiko, #osumania and #ctb

TheVileOne wrote:

That is a waste of stars. This isn't going to happen.
It's already been marked. #osu = #english. This is a redundant feature.
Opinions. Forced ones at that.
TheVileOne
I don't really care if it's included or isn't included. I would have marked it already if I forced an opinion. I don't think there has been a recent request for this idea or I can't find one and the thread that had the debate that osu! is #english I can't find. osu! doesn't let you search for "#' for some reason. I still feel it's redundant, but it does give an area that is away from the main traffic.
Starry-
Would give stars if I could. #osu being the #english really isn't good.
Saten
I agree what MMzz said

@MillhioreF
Calling it #english would probably be the best.
Having it called #offtopic would either make it unclear for non-english speaking users or making it like a nonsense channel. And that's not what this feature request was aiming for.
Twaintoss
I really would like to see this for reasons of inner logic:

#osu! (= #english)

#taiko, ctb, #osumania _________________________
Implemented:
#arabic, #finnish, #italian, #french, #chinese, #english(...)

#taiko, ctb, #osumania, #osu!_________________________

Makes more sense, is easy, everyone happy (since there is no bad side about it;
except eventually more troll-space, but they are everywhere so that's no reason at all)
ychao
I agree with MMzz's points as well.

Too much bull going on in #osu! to ever want me to visit again. Simply renaming the channel will not solve anything.
My only concern is that if implemented, #english will be another #osu! but I suppose this can be kept to a minimum by moderation or something.
Jazz
I agree with mitten's point

The language for #osu is English because it's the universal language, meaning everyone can understand it (even a little bit of it) thus making it easier to converse with other people from other countries (not neccesarily America and UK).
So basically it's a big lounge (..? or a common room..? correct me if i'm wrong with the word i used) where everyone from different countries can interact with each other; which makes it look like a channel full of spam messages coming from different people with different intentions.
And since almost every country with their own language is having their own private channel, it's kind of unfair for the Englishmen to not have theirs.
Every channel is composed of the majority of the people who has that language as their native one, and not as a secondary language like the other countries.
So why not make an #english channel where native english speakers can converse with each other more properly and not be caught up with spam messages from other users who doesn't have it as a native language.

As for what the other people's point that #osu will just be the same with #english (if ever it happens). I suggest you think about what's happening right now first.
#osu = #english was the intention before, but based on what #osu is being used for, I don't think #osu can be an #english anymore.

The same with what MMzz just said, if people do not agree with making #english, the alternative solutions would be
SOLUTIONS:

Less complaints about #osu
#modhelp possibly becomes more mapping/modding oriented.
People can actually talk about something without the spam/nonsense in #osu.
theowest

MillhioreF wrote:

Alternately, we could add an #offtopic for the meaningless discussions and let #osu be #english. The downside to that would be that the Off-Topic community here would probably complain.
#offtopic has a bad reputation and a spammy vibe to it. let's just have #english instead.

edit:

Saten wrote:

I agree what MMzz said

@MillhioreF
Calling it #english would probably be the best.
Having it called #offtopic would either make it unclear for non-english speaking users or making it like a nonsense channel. And that's not what this feature request was aiming for.
looks like we had the same thought.
DerekMcD
That makes sense, but I don't know if it's included or not included.

If it's added, then...

#english/US
#english/CA
#english/AU
#english/NZ (New Zealand)

Throw a little #welsh along with UK.
jesse1412

Koro McAlpine wrote:

If it's added, then...

#english/US
#english/CA
#english/AU

We don't have #Portuguese/BR or Portuguese/PR. This is pretty pointless imo.
DerekMcD

jesus1412 wrote:

Koro McAlpine wrote:

If it's added, then...

#english/US
#english/CA
#english/AU

We don't have #Portuguese/BR or Portuguese/PT. This is pretty pointless imo.
This is pretty pointless we don't have #spanish/ES (Spain) or #spanish/XX (Mexico or any South American countries) also.
theowest
Don't be silly. Just #english.

This is about language, not region.
DerekMcD

theowest wrote:

We're talking about region, according to the name of the request thread. It's better for us to talk locally.

The US community is large.
Jarby
#osu can be sprawling, but #modhelp isn't. There is no need to add further channels, is there?
DerekMcD

Jarby wrote:

#osu can be sprawling, but #modhelp isn't. There is no need to add further channels, is there?
Well, #modhelp are just use to ask questions about modding and technical help about modding.
Bittersweet

jesus1412 wrote:

Koro McAlpine wrote:

If it's added, then...

#english/US
#english/CA
#english/AU

We don't have #Portuguese/BR or Portuguese/PR. This is pretty pointless imo.
And that's the reason why most portuguese people dont use the chat, you don't even see them on portuguese foruns. I believe they hate brazilians or something like that. :P
boat
Since #osu is quite literally piss puddle filled to the brim with people who are there only because it forces you to be there, it shouldn't be more than right to implement a channel for general discussion which you are free to join if you wish to.
[Luanny]

Jarby wrote:

we can't use #modhelp for general discussion anymore.
XPJ38

Bittersweet wrote:

And that's the reason why most portuguese people dont use the chat, you don't even see them on portuguese foruns. I believe they hate brazilians or something like that. :P
There are 10M of Portuguese and 200M of Brazilians. It's not surprising that you don't see them so much :P
theowest

Koro McAlpine wrote:

theowest wrote:

We're talking about region, according to the name of the request thread. It's better for us to talk locally.

I changed it.
Bittersweet
According to the country ranking, there's 4,589 portuguese players on osu. I can name less than 6. And only one is active in the #portuguese community.
Stefan
Wow guys, make it even more complicated as it needed.

Just put #english and everyone is happy. Nobody in the world would give any *bling* about the small differences in canadian English or american English or british English. The german language got like 50 dialects.
jesse1412

Koro McAlpine wrote:

theowest wrote:

I'm sorry but why would you want to divide English speaking countries? Maybe it's just because I don't really care about the fact that I'm in a certain country or something, to me everyone who speaks English is a person who speaks English, not an American, Englishman, Scotsman or anything else.
DerekMcD
Well, I don't care if it's happens or not but just saying. Since the thread name was changed, it's doubtful that UK should get its channel.

Do you think #osu should change to #english? They're are many player outside English speaking countries went on it, as their second languages.
jesse1412
No, #osu should be #osu for osu! and English should #english for English.
Nyquill
Why can't we just have community channels.
The fact that we are discussing the possibility of #english means we need specific community channels.

Possibly a feature when teams arrive?
Ephemeral
added
Dai
oh god :D
BeatofIke
Nice! :D
theowest
make sure you're making a good contribution to this channel now, don't make it look like it's #osu :p
GladiOol

theowest wrote:

make sure you're making a good contribution to this channel now, don't make it look like it's #osu :p
it already does :)