forum

Bit Trip Osu!

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +12
Topic Starter
pokemew1
I would like to see a feature in Osu similar to the play style of the original bit trip beat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0Pl4sPurck (Or maybe the others, but i'm not familiar with them...)

Seeing gameplay close to this along with the more modern feel of Osu would be sure to reel in a wider audience and provide even more fun for current players!

The Bit Trip series is based on skill and rhythm, so I believe the style of game play would be a perfect fit to Osu! ^^

(If this is a duplicate I apologize... I did search through about 15 pages before I posted this so I don't think it is, but just in case...)

~Below is a picture of Bit Trip Beat gameplay~

~EDIT~
Several people have pointed out that Bit Trip Beat is extremely similar to CTB. Even though this is true, I still believe you should implement this mode but with different features such as blocks that pause and don't come directly towards you. Using this as a mod doesn't seem like a good idea, and putting it in CTB would alter the entire play style.
boat
As much as I'd like to say "go and play the original game instead", this is actually not even that bad of an idea, although rather than beat, some kind of rendition of bit trip runner.

Hey, at least it'd probably be better than ctb.
Mithos
I would perfer runner over beat, but both are pretty decent ideas.
RBRat3
Rotate your monitor, Replace ctb skin elements, Use relax mod... And there you have it :P
TakuMii
Yeah, this is pretty much Catch the Beat but sideways and with pixels instead of fruit. TBH you could just rotate your monitor and make a skin that replicates its artstyle and you'll have pretty much the same thing.
Topic Starter
pokemew1

RBRat3 wrote:

Rotate your monitor, Replace ctb skin elements, Use relax mod... And there you have it :P
Wow I never thought of that... ;_; Runner could still do well, although i'm not sure how they'd fit that one in... And maybe for bit trip beat their own style could be incorporated... It is similar to CTB, but maybe ad new elements like special blocks that pause before they go to you and stuff like that to make it more diverse. (I would say to make them part of the CTB maker but then it would totally rearrange its play style. :/)
TamaraMarie
I actually quite like this idea. It seems to have more going on than ctb does.
[Luanny]
Since I love this game I'd really love to see this implemented in osu!
Nice idea :D
Topic Starter
pokemew1

[Luanny] wrote:

Since I love this game I'd really love to see this implemented in osu!
Nice idea :D
Thankyou~ ^^ I really do hope this will be taken into consideration... It would be fun to be able to play it with whatever song you want. >w< (plus there would be so much more to it than CTB)
Kurokami
Still, I like CtB more. ;o;

But if this will be implemented alongside CtB, then it will become my second game mode. :3
Topic Starter
pokemew1

Kurokami wrote:

Still, I like CtB more. ;o;

But if this will be implemented alongside CtB, then it will become my second game mode. :3
I was trying to think on how they could put it in the same mode as CTB, but it hasn't seemed to work out >< A whole new mode all together would seem to be the best idea. ^^ (~Besides, Osu would get more attention~)
Stefan

YayMii wrote:

Yeah, this is pretty much Catch the Beat but sideways and with pixels instead of fruit. TBH you could just rotate your monitor and make a skin that replicates its artstyle and you'll have pretty much the same thing.
Then you can bring the argument to play the real Taiko no Tatsujin instead of our Taiko. Also I am pretty sure there would be still some differences between BIT.TRIP RUNNER and BIT.TRIP THE BEAT (Yeah my Name to this lel)

At all the Idea sounds pretty good. I've never ever played BIT.TRIP RUNNER *slaps myself* but it seems to be a very nice game with a cool concept.
TakuMii

Stefan wrote:

YayMii wrote:

Then you can bring the argument to play the real Taiko no Tatsujin instead of our Taiko. Also I am pretty sure there would be still some differences between BIT.TRIP RUNNER and BIT.TRIP THE BEAT (Yeah my Name to this lel)

At all the Idea sounds pretty good. I've never ever played BIT.TRIP RUNNER *slaps myself* but it seems to be a very nice game with a cool concept.
The Taiko mode is only different from Tatsujin in the way it handles drumrolls and score (and a few other minor things), so they're pretty much the same. I was making a suggestion based on the fact CtB and BIT.TRIP BEAT share the same basic gameplay, but I will say that they each function, look, and feel different (i.e. the patterns in B.TB are much more complex)

And BIT.TRIP RUNNER is a completely different game, despite its name. And I doubt a game like RUNNER would work in osu!, considering that automatically-generated levels could/would be pretty awful and it would be difficult to create levels with the rhythms that osu! standard-mode maps have.
theowest
related request t/20135/
this is obviously more appealing though.

So this is basically a side-scrolling ctb alternative, using relax instead of arrow keys. How about be able to select where you want the fruit to come from instead?
Make relax mod in ctb rankable and allow for impossible ctb specific maps: ez2catch example
Maybe even suggest a different catching behaviour, instead of catching maybe incinerate whatever's coming your way.
Topic Starter
pokemew1

theowest wrote:

related request https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/20135/
this is obviously more appealing though.

So this is basically a side-scrolling ctb alternative, using relax instead of arrow keys. How about be able to select where you want the fruit to come from instead?
Make relax mod in ctb rankable and allow for impossible ctb specific maps: ez2catch example
Maybe even suggest a different catching behaviour, instead of catching maybe incinerate whatever's coming your way.
Well the reason i'm suggesting an entirely new mode is because it would most likely alter then whole way ctb is played >< (Or at least how you would receive top rank)
TakuMii
BIT.TRIP BEAT has more interesting patterns (waves, stops, reverse+perpendicular movement, etc) while the fruits in CtB only fall straight down. And the game being sideways means you can use the whole screen to see the incoming beats, so changing the direction of the incoming fruits in CtB would give an unfair advantage to those who play sideways.
Stefan

YayMii wrote:

The Taiko mode is only different from Tatsujin in the way it handles drumrolls and score (and a few other minor things), so they're pretty much the same.
Eh this is actually enough to say that they are different. Also the Maps are different. From one side because we got rules (which seems that on TnT doesn't have. lol)
Mithos
I still don't think another mode that involves moving a paddle around with the arrow keys to stop things from moving past you is nessesary. A osu! runner though is intriguing.
qwertystop
Personally, I think CORE might be a better one to implement - differences or not, BEAT is really similar to CtB, as people have already said, and RUNNER has the problem of generation.

CORE is a new experience (unlike BEAT) and seems more likely to be possible to auto-generate (unlike RUNNER).

(Also, in my opinion, the instant reset on missing makes RUNNER less of a rhythm auto-run game and more of an auto-run game that happens to be set to music - if you miss a note/obstacle, it doesn't get reflected in the audio because you just get reset. That's not directly relevant, though). struck as irrelevant.

EDIT: I think the biggest difference between BEAT and CtB would be the staged health/multiplier system (and the scoring). Hits builds up one meter, misses build up the other. Filling the hit meter boosts you up a stage, filing the miss meter drops you one, filling either clears both, you only lose if you drop a stage from the lowest, and you only gain multipliers if you rise a stage from the highest - you lose all multipliers if you drop from the highest stage (there's three stages in BEAT, and you start at the middle one). Other than multipliers, BEAT scores by giving 100 points per beat hit, plus one point each consecutive beat (so if you hit five in a row, they're worth 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, and 105).
Yukiteru Amano

boat wrote:

As much as I'd like to say "go and play the original game instead", this is actually not even that bad of an idea, although rather than beat, some kind of rendition of bit trip runner.

Hey, at least it'd probably be better than Taiko.
Kurokami

boat wrote:

Yukiteru Amano wrote:

Hey, at least it'd probably be better than Taiko.
Nope. Both are invalid. Both has its unique gameplay which is good. And taiko is very famous anyways so if you can't play it is is your fault and not the game's.