forum

120Hz Refresh Rate - Benefits and Acquisition

posted
Total Posts
show more
Ohrami
I'm using two 6970s in CrossFire and I'm pretty sure I'm using this monitor: http://www.amazon.com/24in-TFT-LCD-1920 ... B000UD0GWY
Espionage724
Some monitors can't be overclocked too far either. Mine for example only got 18Hz additional before becoming unstable (saying unsupported). If you can manage to go from 60Hz to 120Hz, you're extremely lucky.
Ohrami
Bitch I can't even go up 1 Hz without it breaking
Zakdawg
I still havn't seen a monitor with a refresh rate of 120Hz. The highest out there I believe is 100.

The 120Hz on monitors is clever marketing for 3D monitors, because they can run two times 60, which equals 120.
Ohrami
Highest LCD I've seen is 144Hz

Highest CRT I've seen is I don't even know a lot
Rokk
Using a Samsung SyncMaster XL2370. Went into the monitor properties and tried setting the Refresh Rate to 120, but the screen just went black and said "Not optimum mode". Does this mean my monitor simply can't do 120 hz?
Ohrami
Yep
Rokk
Damn

It does this at 61 hz too

I still wonder if this is an arbitrary restriction, or if the monitor is simply incapable.
Jordan
Can't go past 60hz ._.
Marcin
65 Hz working fine
However 70 Hz makes my screen go crazy
Let's try above 65 ..
66 Fine...
67 Is breaking
Yeah, So my maximum is 66
Iiyama ProLite E2473HDS

Seeing A LITTLE difference, on taiko, while telling an auto to play big black, dons /kats eyes, on 60 Hz, are a little stuttering, however, on 66 Hz this effect is invisible.
Rokk
Never mind, it was an arbitrary restriction. I disabled "Safety lock" in my monitor's options and now I can go all the way to 120 Hz. Nice!
Noobita

Teraku wrote:

Never mind, it was an arbitrary restriction. I disabled "Safety lock" in my monitor's options and now I can go all the way to 120 Hz. Nice!
I have samsung syncmaster S24B300, can you tell me where you disabled this safety lock? hopefully i can do it as well because it's not letting me stay at 120hz
Tear
I've got an LG 24EA53VQ and while not quite 120Hz, I managed to get it up to 75Hz (dual-link DVI cable). Anything more makes it throw "DVI-D out of range". Still an improvement, thanks a lot ^_^
NAGISACHAn_old
You can use the same trick to display a higher then native resolution.
From 1920x1080 to 3840x2160 ex.
Pizzicato
i can only go up from 60Hz to 75. i'm happy enough with this :D

got a question tho
are there any penalties if i raise it from my default refresh rate? i'm new to this
TakuMii

Pizzicato wrote:

i can only go up from 60Hz to 75. i'm happy enough with this :D

got a question tho
are there any penalties if i raise it from my default refresh rate? i'm new to this
It might lower your monitor's lifespan, but that really depends on what monitor you have.
(And some monitors don't truly display higher refresh rates, click here and read Use #2)
Pizzicato
:D
TakuMii

Pizzicato wrote:

:D
I think you're supposed to be looking at the flashing lights. They should be flashing left-to-right, one after another. If the flashing pattern isn't constant or doesn't look correct, it's not truly running at the refresh rate you set (also, if you can monitor your framerate to make sure it's the same as your refresh rate, you'll ensure more accurate results).
Pizzicato
yeah i compared the flashing lights of 60hz and 75

skipping is constant at 60hz and at 75 the skipping is reduced

thanks~
Kyou-chan
picked up a $5 CRT
overclocked it to 134hz, CRTs are awesome because they have no motion blur and 0ms lag

edit: this is very useful if you have a capable monitor
http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/
Rokk

Noobita wrote:

Teraku wrote:

I have samsung syncmaster S24B300, can you tell me where you disabled this safety lock? hopefully i can do it as well because it's not letting me stay at 120hz
I don't know as I have a Samsung Syncmaster XL2370. I can access advanced settings like Safety Lock by holding the Menu button down for 5 seconds.
- Flutter -
For some reason I can't use this Catleap driver because it isn't signed... can anyone help me with that?
nrl
Time. Stamps.
otoed1
Wondering how well this works, I don't know my monitor model, but its refresh rate is 75, about how far would I be able to push it up?
thelewa
you need to use a dual link dvi cable or hdmi to even think about pushing your refresh rate to 120hz
FrzR

buny wrote:

120Hz made me stream 500 bpm
ohohohohohohohoh oh you.

OT: Haven't played using a monitor with higher refresh rates, but I think it would be better since it's "smoother" in display.
colepull

otoed1 wrote:

Wondering how well this works, I don't know my monitor model, but its refresh rate is 75, about how far would I be able to push it up?

Valentiino wrote:

Then your panel just might not be capable of being overclocked. Could you post some info about your GPU & monitor?
colepull
:) :o ;) :D
colepull
:) :o :D 8-) :? :shock:
colepull
:(  :) 
colepull

Valentiino wrote:

Then your panel just might not be capable of being overclocked. Could you post some info about your GPU & monitor?
adw
E m i
???????????
ZenithPhantasm
work more to get $$ for better monitor
vsprite
Play more