forum

120Hz Refresh Rate - Benefits and Acquisition

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Nessuka
It's a common fact that most flat screen monitors come with a base refresh rate speed of 60Hz standard and below.
While there are many companies selling monitors with these standards raised (and charging a fortune in turn) there are alternative methods of getting this with your monitor by overclocking it.

As you will probably know if you're a pro gamer, the update speed being at it's peak is always a must, and keeping down the eyestrain too.
60Hz is much more choppy looking if you've used 120Hz a while and 60Hz causes more eyestrain in general people have reported as opposed to 120Hz.

And anyway, most LCDs support overclocking of the Hz without the common range errors. as I am typing I'm using my Dell Ultrasharp U4212M at 1920x1200@120Hz.

Here are the steps courtesy of ToastyX from 120hz.net:

AMD/ATI Video Cards

1. Use AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher to patch the driver.
2. Use Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) to add higher refresh rates.

NVIDIA Video Cards

1. Use NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher to patch the driver (304.48 or later).
2. Use Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) or the NVIDIA control panel to add higher refresh rates.

Notes

If you use CRU, make sure "Include extension block" is not checked, and define the higher refresh rate as the first detailed resolution to make games use the higher refresh rate. Keep 2560x1440 @ 59.950 Hz as a secondary detailed resolution for driver updates, otherwise the unpatched driver won't have any resolutions to use.

If you use the NVIDIA control panel instead of CRU, you will need to install a monitor driver to make games use the higher refresh rate: catleap.zip (Install using the Device Manager -> Monitors -> Right-click "Generic PnP Monitor" -> Update Driver Software... -> Browse my computer for driver software -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer -> Have Disk... -> Browse for the .inf file -> OK -> Next -> Install this driver software anyway)

"Automatic - LCD standard" (CRU) / "CVT reduced blank" (NVIDIA CP) will allow the video card to clock down when idle. If your monitor can't handle that at 120 Hz, try "Automatic - LCD reduced" (CRU) / copy the settings below (NVIDIA CP). If that doesn't help, you will have to reduce the refresh rate.

In my case I had to load the catleap driver and change the refresh rate from "Display > Screen Resolution > Advanced".

Please note I am not responsible if you break everything by being a silly filly.

Hope some of you find this guide useful. :D
hinamizawan
I've been thinking of buying a 120hz monitor lately but it was not possible due to the high pricing, hope this overclock won't wreck up my LG W2243S (lol)
Full Tablet
Normally overclocking the monitor is not as good as buying a quality screen, while you may increase the refresh rate, you still have the same response time (or possibly more with weird configurations).
Espionage724
Not all LCD's also allow for this. Mine in particular (Acer 201HL or something) will say "out of range" when going past 75Hz. On the other hand, my monitor by default only goes to 60Hz at my native res (1600x900), but with that custom resolution tool, I was able to go to 75Hz.
buny
120Hz made me stream 500 bpm
Kanye West
does this really make much of a difference for osu?

from what i've heard: no.
Pizzicato
but it looks so smooth D:
boat

Kanye West wrote:

Looks better but obviously does not affect input and therefor won't necessarily make a difference.
Topic Starter
Nessuka

boat wrote:

Kanye West wrote:

Looks better but obviously does not affect input and therefor won't necessarily make a difference.
It will but only to a certain degree.
Like all other things that pro gamers claim but others wave the bullshit flag at.

Certain monitors, yes, it will as some can take advantage of the extra speed thus taking the response time down a little.

And as for claiming it helps with osu!, well, if you're like me and play high AR maps (9/10) with jumps and such, you will find that landing beats on time is much more lenient and easy, a fine example is TheLewa who has his monitor at 120Hz and manages to do so many HR ranks with excellent accuracy.

So yeah, monitor to monitor this will differ and for some it will be absolutely useless or a great help for those with capable monitors.

Thus this thread serves it's purpose for those willing to experiment.
Makar

boat wrote:

Kanye West wrote:

Definitely helps with taiko on high slider velocity/bpm.
enik
Doesn't work for Samsung SyncMaster P2250 :( or I do something wrong.
ethox
Tue Apr 02
I am not impressed.

You need faster update on your screen because your eyes will see more, like when using flashlight you need 180hz monitor to see past the black
Kert
What you didn't mention is that you totally need to connect your monitor to GPU with a dual link DVI cable (GPU needs a dual link slot too). Because single link DVI can't handle that much data (i.e. 120hz@1920x1080)
Alternatively Displayport can be used if I am not mistaken
Soly
Sup A Noob
I play AR10 on a 60Hz monitor. 9 isn't even fast on a 30Hz monitor.

Granted, I go unlimited during gameplay, but that's under the belief I get lesser delayed inputs.

And that mine is quite the old one.
Topic Starter
Nessuka
Also, peeps testing this must set the refresh rate in your osu! config file to 120Hz too!
TakuMii
^you don't need to if you're playing in windowed mode. I have a 76Hz monitor and osu! automagically followed my desktop's refresh rate.
Ephemeral
i'd be interested in gathering statistics of players who go from 60hz to 120hz to perform a proper factorial analysis on whether this has any influence or not, because i really don't think it does.
Kert
I have a 144hz monitor and it is a lot smoother than 60hz (plus it has lower response time)
You just see more frames in comparison with 60hz. When you move your cursor VERY fast you will actually SEE all the path where it goes. The monitor isn't limiting your ability to read stuff anymore. On 60hz you'll have to kinda predict where you moved the cursor
I can't even say I regret upgrading from my lovely 100hz CRT anymore (it died), because it offers similar smoothness
Winshley
I don't think you can get better input rate with this tool.

Well yes, it might be helpful to read fast AR for some people, but not for me because I would rather memorize where the notes will come instead, and using purely my ears with my headphones to time the notes. :P

Additionally, I'm already too used to seeing screen tearing stuff. Haha. xD
Metro
I switched from LCD with 5ms response time to CRT and I now play at 85hz and the difference is huge. Specially when playing HR only. I can see everything better and it helps with my reaction.
Purple
120Hz really shouldnt offer any significant advantage, especially since you need to play hidden to gain good ranks on most situations. The only benefit I could see is the smoother cursor movement for maps such as no,39 and Niko Made of Fire... but thats about it.

I have a 120Hz and I didnt feel much difference from switching from a 60Hz monitor. If you want smoother approach circle movement I recommend using a thicker approach circles for your skin.
Thatgooey
I could see it helping a little bit, but not a great deal. It might help for when I play ar 10-11, but other than that not too much. Even AR10 wouldn't offer much benefit for osu! standard. I could see 120hz helping the most in taiko. To me, the only reason I don't try to play the game is because of how choppy it looks. It hurts my brain being able to see the frames chop horizontally across my stream. I think playing 120hz on taiko would be MUCH better than 60hz. Worlds better. I would actually try it if I had 120hz monitor. But for standard? I don't know that it would give any advantage at all. It would make the game look smoother, of course, but as far as registering, I don't think so.
Hernan

Metro wrote:

I switched from LCD with 5ms response time to CRT and I now play at 85hz and the difference is huge. Specially when playing HR only. I can see everything better and it helps with my reaction.
Same here, it DOES make a difference.
Lach
i have a 120hz monitor and i still suck

edit: that being said i tried 60hz the other day and i felt like killing myself
Espionage724
Another thing to consider, if your monitor has built-in overdrive, or if you're using it from your GPU control panel, increasing the refresh rate past specifications can actually increase response time, and cause colors to react strangely. More info: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/ov ... t_75hz.htm
Ohrami
Anyone know a 24" 1920x1200 monitor with 5 ms or less of input delay that can be overclocked to 120Hz using this program? Maybe I'm using it wrong, but my monitor can't be overclocked using this program at all.
Topic Starter
Nessuka

Kyou-kun wrote:

Anyone know a 24" 1920x1200 monitor with 5 ms or less of input delay that can be overclocked to 120Hz using this program? Maybe I'm using it wrong, but my monitor can't be overclocked using this program at all.
Dell ultrasharp u2412m?
Ohrami

Ijah wrote:

Dell ultrasharp u2412m?
That monitor has 8 ms of delay, roughly one frame at 120Hz. I'd prefer something lower.
show more