forum

osu!minecraft - redux [vanilla + factions]

posted
Total Posts
show more
OnosakiHito
So, I heard there will be a server update soon.

How about using this update for adding new mods and features?
We could talk about what we could add to the server after it gets updated.

E.g. I would like to have the dynamic map back. This was a great feature and I do miss it a lot.
Also, having additional mods like Mo’ Creatures or PIXELMON would be also cool.

It is every time the same, so having some new stuff would be cool.
Any other opinions or ideas?
Jinxy
Dynamic Map + Factions (specifically the TNT damaging protected land) is just asking for trouble
OnosakiHito
Well, then PVP should be disabled.

Nearly no one wants to fight, everyone builds 10.000 blocks away from the spawn since they are afraid. And those who got attacked are stressed and even report users.
Due to this I doubt that we even need PvP. Just my opinion about current situation.
whymeman
Well, I doubt the server can be PvP Free for one. Having Dynamap usually drawn in trouble due to griefers who use it to strike. Best to get rei's mini map when available and load it into your current version of minecraft in a custom profile.

As for the extra stuff, that would be interesting, but I just hope it doesn't conflict with other plugins and such. Also, that's up to Eph on that one if it can be added or not.
Jinxy
I don't go into the server, do people actively attack others now?

But anyway, I'm not talking about people using dynmap to attack others, but attacking claimed land and factions themselves, which can be done with TNT.

Another idea is toggleable PvP, where those who enable it can fight others, and those who don't care for it can just set theirs to off. I actually do like a little PvP to spice up playing with others. Pretty sure there should be a plugin like that, I played in such a server years ago.

Also, as long as factions/towns/plots or whatever are made invulnerable and applied from the map's start (unlike previous where Valhalla got unprotected when towny>griefprev), I don't see the harm of dynmap. Sure, griefers could still destroy unprotected land but they still totally can now.

EDIT: Thinking about it, I have some thoughts about how this server is right now, and some suggestions for its future. It's just my opinion, so you don't have to agree or disagree. You can even disregard it, since honestly, I don't go in the server much.

My 2c and suggestions
As a guy who watches letsplayers pretty often, I've thought that MC servers could be generalised into a few types: Enforced-Order, Trust-Order, and Anarchy. Enforced-Order would kinda be like hardcore grief-prevention plugins like foolproof area protection, LogBlock, etc to ensure that people's things are protected. Trust-Order is basically a vanilla server, but a tightly-knit community (whitelisted, etc) ensures that everyone is friendly with each other and nobody actively griefs someone else. Anarchy is... well, anarchy. Do whatever the fuck you want to.

Most players here would prefer the Order side of things, as far as I can tell. Obviously, osu is nowhere near small enough to be a true tight-knit community, which means players want some sort of plugin, etc to help protection. I've never really understood the choice of Factions as an area-protecting plugin, when it's obviously not meant to be so. Claims can be taken over via death or removed due to inactivity, or completely skipped if someone has a large-enough supply of TNT. This is supposed to promote user interaction and some anarchy iirc, but the problem is no one wants to interact like that. So as a result, Factions is being exploited by griefers instead.

1.7's coming up, and the massive biome changes will probably necessitate a new map when it's released. My suggestion is that an alternative claiming plugin is used, similar to Towny or GriefPrev or something, idk. The plugin's claims would not be able to be taken over nor destroyed. For decay, it might be better to just leave inactive claims alone unless it's an area close to spawn and someone else would like to build there.

As for PvP, like I said, some people might like having it since it gives another thing for them to do. I myself like some PvP, since it can be deeper than just spamming, with the right equipment. A nice compromise would simply be a personal PvP toggle and also some method to see who else has their PvP toggled. Small rewards could be given to winners, like maybe the player head or something to hang up in homes. If Dynmap was enabled, people should be able to hide themselves from the map too, if they don't want to be disturbed or are trying for an ambush. It also makes PvP more interesting if both the attacker and defender are hiding.

For griefing of unprotected land, there's no way to actually prevent that, unless some chunk-restore plugin is used or something, which doesn't revert ores, for obvious reasons.

Of course, there's a completely different idea. I remember Eph talking about an idea of a limited map, and limited factions. Important resources will decrease over time, and players can either resort to using renewable resources, or use an economy possibly based on fighting and exploring outside of the faction. Factions can fight to expand, but each faction will always have an unconquerable "capital" as a safezone for those who aren't interested in fighting. Limited factions and safezones would definitely increase interaction between players, if that's the target of the server.
Flanster
Can anyone give me a hand with this new update?
Since I was running on Mineshafter Squared things now are a bit different than before..

I should've left money in my credit card so I can buy the original.
Kert
server needs to be updated with new mineshaftersquared launcher too
whymeman
Them projectz....

I'll add more details later. Finished 1 cluster of Skyland so far. Came out pretty good for something out of a concept. Still working on the tombs, cities, ships, and other crazy things on the list.

xRayne
That will be amazing to explore o:
OnosakiHito
Wait, that's what you made? Or is it a mod? lol
whymeman
Not a mod. I crafted that myself and did a test run on survival. Pretty damm dangerous to tell you the truth ._.

Finished another island. Accidentally spawned a village on it though.....

And the view from below.... (Yes, its THAT huge)

Edit: 9/17/13

Attempting to alter the spawner creation for a more interesting experience. Of course, doing plenty of testing first before playing with that.

Edit: 9/18/13

Also creating some "real" rare items which is in WIP, but nice to try on for the bonuses. And yes, I do test them to make sure the value IDs and such don't break anything.

13Kenzy
Erm, I have come back from a super-long inactivity thanks to a friend who sent me a gift code.
Yes, it has been seen before my eyes that my home was wrecked, after close analysis of damage patterns it looked like they used TNT or something. But that's not what I am literally pissed at.
What I am literally pissed at, I cannot tell you.

-13Kenzy (now MC name is "kenster1092")
whymeman
Honestly speaking, I did see the damage before and investigated it. As far as I can tell, some cheat mods were used in a raid. Especially with how it was targeted. Of course, anyone using such things get banned eventually.
whymeman
A VERY important note to anyone playing Minecraft. Especially for server owners....

13Kenzy
Finally, I started to think that 1.6.4 was another time-wasting update because for 2 days, the 1.6.4 update details did not show up...
whymeman
Well, I doubt its time wasting if the last update manage to screw up chunk loading (which is a bad thing).

Edit: I know its been some time since the last picture posted, but I got tied up with some work that had to be addressed so I couldn't get as much done as I wanted. But to show you what's going on right now, i'm working on setting the biomes correctly instead of one huge jungle biome. Including snow on the mountain tops.

13Kenzy
1.6.4.... To load up important parts of the singleplayer world: Done. Anyways, I'm off to some PvP servers until the server gets upgraded to 1.7, heh, I await that.... I will downgrade to 1.6.2 every now and then to check up on things...
whymeman
10/1/13

Well, i've been scrambling in my head on how to make the shops without the use of the econ plugin and I figured it out. Though its not easy, it's possible and can be edited. Of course, the currency will be typically from common (like gold bars, gold nuggets, books) to the more rare "expensive" items (like diamonds, emeralds, and even nether stars)

Jinxy
Have you watched Sethbling's videos? He touches a lot on MCEdit and I think he has a custom filter for making villager shops too.
whymeman

Jinxy wrote:

Have you watched Sethbling's videos? He touches a lot on MCEdit and I think he has a custom filter for making villager shops too.
That's what i've been using :V

Its just the matter of setting it up right. Especially for treasures with attributes.
BeatMaster007
ah, finally, shops.

Speaking of the 1.7 update... will there be a chance for our items to be carried over somehow, or will it all be a fresh restart from scratch?
that, and if the factions system will still be in use, etc.

On a side note, i have been wondering if you will allow/implement use of the Minecraft Enchantment Decoder mod (it requires a server side plugin installed to work)
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/753 ... zens-mods/ >scroll to EnchantView
whymeman
Not sure about items being saved for the next update honestly. I think it's more possible through enderchests since I feel they are "profile-based" and doesn't have separate storage points like regular chests do.

As for the extra plugins, its up to Eph on that if it seems logical or not to add.

Edit: Making a food shop as well

whymeman
After sitting down with some thoughts, I feel it would be cooler having some help to generate more custom structures to use when the new update appears. If you want to have your creations used, just message me and i'll combine it or have them placed thoroughly. We can also review the layouts and collab build.
OnosakiHito
I would support it. Sounds great.
whymeman
I could even give created sample maps for any volunteers to work on. Like right now i'm generating the Castle + Village setup.

10/22/13 Edit

Working on internals for castle. Just a preview of the somewhat finished throne room.

whymeman
It's been some time since I last posted.....

Anyways, we'll be getting ready to update the server to the new 1.7 build(s) soon. Atm, i'm just finishing up the custom chunks before adding them to the world map.

This is a general idea of how the new world will be made up.
OnosakiHito
Good to hear. I will also finish my home soon, I guess.
theleoleole
Hi!
I dont know osu! have such a minecraft community :D

Looks like im gonna join this as soon as possible ;D
And i already link my MC account with osu! :D

Hope i can get along with you guys :)
Jsdfbn
Man I'd love to join the osu! MC community but I don't really like some of the things the server has :v I might try it out though. We shall see =)
PROGUY
I'm really looking forward to the update, wmm :D

By the way, can I build near your base next? It would be way more convenient than Nether travelling O_O
whymeman
Sure, if you can find it :V
xRayne
*3*
Cannot wait for the server to be open again
aaaah updates!
~
AMPLIFIED
CookieAM
C'mon, when's the server gonna be up?
whymeman
There's going to be a slight delay. My graphics card decided to nade itself on me and now i'm stuck on a stock on-board video as a temp. Was getting horrible lag before then till it finally gave out. Sorry for the delay but just need a few more days. :o

*rage* (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Edit: Going back to work on the project now. Got a new monitor, wi-fi adapter, and video card.
BeatMaster007
Will be waiting warmly for the server.
here's hoping enderchest contents wont get nuked
whymeman
We'll see what happens from that. Also, currently doing the chunk loading process. Just have to take the time to make sure I don't screw up the chunk loading rushing it.
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
i was actually thinking of incorporating whymeman's world with a bundled twilight forest + thaumcraft modpack, since those two both work together very well, provide some interesting mechanics and lots of cooperative play opportunities

how do people feel about this?
whymeman
Sounds nice actually. Though before I actually start plotting the chunks together on the map, I want to make sure if anyone else really wants the world Normal (w/ Large Biomes) or AMPLIFIED. The sooner I get the votes, the faster I can figure out the best choice considering those who would actually suffer graphics lag loading 100000+ blocks a chunk.
PROGUY
While I have to agree that it does sound good, I think it's best if the server remains mod-free. I don't like corrupting my MC files just to enjoy mods (unless it has a standalone ver). If you guys are really gonna include such mods in, be sure to make your instructions clear in the op so everyone can join with ease.
xRayne
I think the thaumcraft mod to the server would be an interesting turn from vanilla~
show more