forum

Can I map like this? Or how do I map?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Nirwana
I've started mapping and am unhappy with every song so far because I just don't know if I can map the way I'm mapping. Do you have any tips?

Maps:

Maps ready to play but not finished yet:
beatmapsets/1369556#osu/2831937
- Hit the Road Jack ~Ray Charles

beatmapsets/1356957#osu/2808212
- New Kids Theme Techno Song ~NewKids

beatmapsets/1375699#osu/2843561
- Et Guttehjem ~Den BB

Newest map:
beatmapsets/1382111#osu/2855626
- Hell Yeah ~Rev Theory

Sorry for my english. I am not the best
Castagne
You can map however you like, mapping is supposed to be a game too and you can do whatever you want in the editor.

If you want to make a map that represents the song well or is an art piece on its own, the map needs to have highs and lows, just like the song that it's mapped to. Generally this is conveyed through intensity of the map, ie how hard it is to play, but mappers have experimented a lot with this and you can do some experimentation on your own as well. To make the contrast between sections more apparent, you need to map similar musical ideas with similar patterns. In your maps I often see one musical phrase have huge spacing and the next phrase have small spacing which kind of contradicts and makes the contrast between sections less apparent.

My most favorite map out of those 4 was hit the road jack.

I see these are your first uploaded maps, you should just map lots and find out what kind of stuff works and what kind of stuff does not work.
Topic Starter
Nirwana

Castagne wrote:

You can map however you like, mapping is supposed to be a game too and you can do whatever you want in the editor.

If you want to make a map that represents the song well or is an art piece on its own, the map needs to have highs and lows, just like the song that it's mapped to. Generally this is conveyed through intensity of the map, ie how hard it is to play, but mappers have experimented a lot with this and you can do some experimentation on your own as well. To make the contrast between sections more apparent, you need to map similar musical ideas with similar patterns. In your maps I often see one musical phrase have huge spacing and the next phrase have small spacing which kind of contradicts and makes the contrast between sections less apparent.

My most favorite map out of those 4 was hit the road jack.

I see these are your first uploaded maps, you should just map lots and find out what kind of stuff works and what kind of stuff does not work.
Okey. Thank you a lot