Knarf

enik wrote:

what's ppv2 :?:
t/144649
Koko Ban

winber1 wrote:

and yet another thread will be locked because ppv2

gg
don't like a thread? discuss ppv2 there. guraranteed lock!

in all seriousness though, i think this kind of ranking system shouldn't have existed in the first place. i admit i'm one of those hard map farmers you guys hate, if system didn't exist in the first place (or at least it wasn't this flawed), i wouldn't had forced to play in an "unhealthy" way because i obsess over numbers. i could try to "withdraw" and play insanes for fun, but as long as it's still there it would keep slapping my face telling me to go back. i wish one day it was gone...

it's like crack. too hard to resist.
Icyteru
Actually, thread should be locked because topic is obsolete
Shohei Ohtani
ppv2 doesn't exist in other modes yet :P (And it's still in development, and it isn't really proven that ppv2 fixed pp farmers)

Not that I pp farm in CtB or anything >////<!~
Kalas_old
farming ppv2 is now all about playing famous maps
Yarissa
If you guys want this thread to live, I suggest scrapping the ppv2 discussion. It will devolve into baseless criticism and get locked.

My personal opinion on pp farmers (as a pp farmer):
While farming hards may not (keywords "may not") take very much skill, that doesn't change the fact that a good score on a hard is oftentimes more highly contested on the leaderboards than an insane. This means it will be more diffiicult to get good ranks, and thus, more difficult to rank up. The more farming and exploiting there is, the harder it is to retain or try for a good rank. If everyone attempted to pp farm, I think the leaderboards would be even more accurate. I think almost all players desire pp anyways (keywords "almost all"). I am by no means trying to say playing hards is super skillful, but I do think it requires a significant amount of skill. People will immediately judge pp farmers for having a lack of skill when I have seen these pp farmers play some crazy stuff. Take for instance ShadowSoul. He was widely known for being a pp farmer, but recently his plays have been REALLY pro. People still call him a pp farmer, but I personally think he deserves a spot in the top 20 (if not higher).

So TL;DR: pp farming requires more skill than people think it does due to a variety of reasons and because of this people will underestimate a pp farmers' ability to play difficult maps.
Almost

Kaoru wrote:

If you guys want this thread to live, I suggest scrapping the ppv2 discussion. It will devolve into baseless criticism and get locked.

My personal opinion on pp farmers (as a pp farmer):
While farming hards may not (keywords "may not") take very much skill, that doesn't change the fact that a good score on a hard is oftentimes more highly contested on the leaderboards than an insane. This means it will be more diffiicult to get good ranks, and thus, more difficult to rank up. The more farming and exploiting there is, the harder it is to retain or try for a good rank. If everyone attempted to pp farm, I think the leaderboards would be even more accurate. I think almost all players desire pp anyways (keywords "almost all"). I am by no means trying to say playing hards is super skillful, but I do think it requires a significant amount of skill. People will immediately judge pp farmers for having a lack of skill when I have seen these pp farmers play some crazy stuff. Take for instance ShadowSoul. He was widely known for being a pp farmer, but recently his plays have been REALLY pro. People still call him a pp farmer, but I personally think he deserves a spot in the top 20 (if not higher).

So TL;DR: pp farming requires more skill than people think it does due to a variety of reasons and because of this people will underestimate a pp farmers' ability to play difficult maps.
But you also have to remember that most hard farmers aren't pro such as myself. I farm hards a lot, but give me something actually difficult, and I will fail utterly.
Shohei Ohtani

Kaoru wrote:

Unless you play CtB then it's like the easiest thing ever
Yarissa

Almost wrote:

But you also have to remember that most hard farmers aren't pro such as myself. I farm hards a lot, but give me something actually difficult, and I will fail utterly.
That's the thing though. There are only a handful of well-known pp farmers. The ones with high ranks are usually able to pull off skillful plays. Maybe their plays may not be what you should expect from a high ranked player, but that doesn't change the fact that it does indeed require SOME skill
JappyBabes

Kaoru wrote:

I'm really not sure how you've come to think that farming [Hard]s makes it more difficult to rank up because 'often' the scoreboard is highly contested. I'm not even sure what led you to think that [Hard]s are highly contested. PP has shown itself to be quite random at times with what maps give it out or not, one time it might be a [Normal] from 2007, or a newly ranked [Insane]. It does however tend to give points from old, popular and [Hard]s more often than not but that's not to say all of those leader-boards are highly contested in the slightest.

I'm also unsure as to how PP would be more legitimate with even more farming, let alone everyone doing it. When there are huge flaws in the system like letting one lucky person who happened to spin 100 score more, or who achieved the SS first to get bonus points isn't right when the system is supposed to be in place to accurately rate the skill/performances of a player. I wonder how you differentiate between a super skillful player and one that is just significantly skilled? Because that immediately explains what you've said right after regarding judgement.

People look at you this way because you're setting scores that, in your words, 'require a significant amount of skill' but to a lot of people, the difference between that and the super-skilled player is just too large. People will always rate a random asian or happystick over any hard farmer because they don't have just 'some' crazy stuff, their scores are just completely filled with those types of scores. It only seems like you took SS has an example because he is one of two hard farmers in my opinion who can score consistently well on difficult maps. I guess this is what I have against farming, the attempt to justify doing so.
Yarissa
Just because I am defending pp farming does not mean I think I am skillful because of it or deserve my rank because of it. I am well aware that there are FAR MORE than 50 players who are better than me, and I will by no means try to claim otherwise. I like to THINK I am a pretty good player (and that's what it comes down to: opinions), but I don't shove it in people's faces or let my arrogance get out of control. Any ranking system that exists is bound to be farmed or exploited in one manner or another. You're free to judge and criticize any of these players as you please. I'd just appreciate it if generalizations about us were avoided.

First off, I am by no means saying that the pp system is accurate. Every ranking system that is released will have some flaws, and someone SOMEWHERE is going to have a qualm with it EVEN IF it's nearing perfection. Now, not ALL hards are highly contested. I've just found that the maps that give good pp tend to have a lot of scores to beat. That seems to be a trend in pp maps. Maybe the maps were riddled with pro highscores BEFORE people found out it gave pp. Maybe they weren't. We'll never know. Some hards I've played have been truly difficult to get a top 6 score on due to the amount of people playing ar10.8+ or HD FL DT on that map. My point is not EVERY hard is easy to get a highscore on. And people seem to be quick to conclude that it's easy to get scores on those maps.

Here is my reasoning behind the legitimacy of everyone farming:
So, a player happens to stumble upon a pp map. Horay, he gets 100 pp and shares the map with all of his friends. His friends proceed to envy the ranks he got and attempt to set scores on the same map. If all of that players' friends were skilled players, there would be a handful of hard-to-beat scores on the leaderboard of that pp song. So now you, in turn, stumble upon the same map. If you're not skilled enough to beat the scores these skilled players set, the song won't yield as much pp. So if all the skilled players were farming, it would be increasingly hard to farm pp. Naturally, there are exceptions. For instance, anything that's easy to SS tends to give unfair amounts of pp. Pro players setting scores on these wouldn't make the system any more/ less difficult to farm.

And lastly, (yet again, in my opinion) you can't just compare every player in the top 100 (or should I even deign to say the top 250) to a pro player like thelewa or happystick. The differences will be astonishing, and a random top 250 player's accomplishments would pale in comparision to something thelewa could do with ease. Pro players like that are known for their consistency. That's what sets them apart from people who get occasional amazing plays. If those people are capable of making those amazing plays their achievements are by no means undermined by the fact that they can't make those amazing plays consitently.

So pretty much my point is that people tend to underestimate the difficulty of hard farming. While it may merely sound like justifications I do I have some very valid reasons why they are difficult. There are always exceptions to the matter and there are still quite a few easy maps that yield incredible amounts of pp. I'm not going to go out of my way to deny that. I just implore you guys to keep in mind that hard farming isn't as easy as people make it out to be.
Almost
Then you have people who HD HR FL hards which only takes a bit of time but isn't really difficult to do in any way and get easy rank 1s and lots of pp...
Wishy
Farming hards is easy compared to farming insanes. I always find hard difficulties where I myself could easily set a top 3 (if not 1) by just retrying a little bit, because they are not contested at all and the top score was set by either some pro on a first play or some farmer after many retries, I am not a very good player and my accuracy is terrible, yet I can still get top scores on lots of hard diffs without much effort, if I started actually doing so I would raise through the ranks A LOT, that would not mean I'm good or anything, it would just mean I'm a farmer.

On hards you gotta play against randomhardfarmer123, on hard insanes you usually play against the best player, and even if you beat one of the best players you don't get much more pp (do you even get more) than when you beat randomhardfarmer123.

The solution is simple tho, it should not matter who you beat, but how hard to do your record is, aka osutp.

PD: I still find some random one play DT [Hards] on my best performances lol. This DT (http://osu.ppy.sh/b/106469?m=0) is apparently worth more than this (http://osu.ppy.sh/b/105293?m=0), both being first plays, yet I think it's quite clear that one is way harder than the other one.
JappyBabes

Kaoru wrote:

Just because I am defending pp farming does not mean I think I am skillful because of it or deserve my rank because of it. I am well aware that there are FAR MORE than 50 players who are better than me, and I will by no means try to claim otherwise. I like to THINK I am a pretty good player (and that's what it comes down to: opinions), but I don't shove it in people's faces or let my arrogance get out of control. Any ranking system that exists is bound to be farmed or exploited in one manner or another. You're free to judge and criticize any of these players as you please. I'd just appreciate it if generalizations about us were avoided.

First off, I am by no means saying that the pp system is accurate. Every ranking system that is released will have some flaws, and someone SOMEWHERE is going to have a qualm with it EVEN IF it's nearing perfection. Now, not ALL hards are highly contested. I've just found that the maps that give good pp tend to have a lot of scores to beat. That seems to be a trend in pp maps. Maybe the maps were riddled with pro highscores BEFORE people found out it gave pp. Maybe they weren't. We'll never know. Some hards I've played have been truly difficult to get a top 6 score on due to the amount of people playing ar10.8+ or HD FL DT on that map. My point is not EVERY hard is easy to get a highscore on. And people seem to be quick to conclude that it's easy to get scores on those maps.

Here is my reasoning behind the legitimacy of everyone farming:
So, a player happens to stumble upon a pp map. Horay, he gets 100 pp and shares the map with all of his friends. His friends proceed to envy the ranks he got and attempt to set scores on the same map. If all of that players' friends were skilled players, there would be a handful of hard-to-beat scores on the leaderboard of that pp song. So now you, in turn, stumble upon the same map. If you're not skilled enough to beat the scores these skilled players set, the song won't yield as much pp. So if all the skilled players were farming, it would be increasingly hard to farm pp. Naturally, there are exceptions. For instance, anything that's easy to SS tends to give unfair amounts of pp. Pro players setting scores on these wouldn't make the system any more/ less difficult to farm.

And lastly, (yet again, in my opinion) you can't just compare every player in the top 100 (or should I even deign to say the top 250) to a pro player like thelewa or happystick. The differences will be astonishing, and a random top 250 player's accomplishments would pale in comparision to something thelewa could do with ease. Pro players like that are known for their consistency. That's what sets them apart from people who get occasional amazing plays. If those people are capable of making those amazing plays their achievements are by no means undermined by the fact that they can't make those amazing plays consitently.

So pretty much my point is that people tend to underestimate the difficulty of hard farming. While it may merely sound like justifications I do I have some very valid reasons why they are difficult. There are always exceptions to the matter and there are still quite a few easy maps that yield incredible amounts of pp. I'm not going to go out of my way to deny that. I just implore you guys to keep in mind that hard farming isn't as easy as people make it out to be.
I really hate to jump on the 'TP is perfection omg' bandwagon right now but really, what are the flaws that it currently has that are rather large? Patterns and maybe underestimating the difficulty of fast 1/2s with changing directions/spacing. Maybe it's that you agree with ppy when it comes to a ranking system, that it needs some sort of relative comparing going on with map popularity etc, all of which doesn't attribute to the difficulty within the .osu.

I'm kind of guessing in this part but I assume that because all of these 'skilled' players have set high scores on this hypothetical map, that the popularity of the map would have increased, and also since this new player who wasn't as skilled as the others who recently set new scores, you say he doesn't get any reward, or at least, very much of it anyway. I have a hard time following this as pp does attempt to relatively compare players on a map, in other words, it wouldn't penalize your possible reward if you were lower in rank (which I'm assuming is lower skill in this case too) than if you were near equal to or higher ranked compared to the players who set these new scores.

I guarantee you that I'm not underestimating the difficulty of farming. Early this year I scouted out a few of Team USA's 'Best Performances' and went from #100 to #60 in a few hours. Your reasons for them being difficult don't stem from the maps being difficult themselves, but instead because one player retried it more or got lucky for that one SS run. I would not call those valid reasons. I don't think I'll refrain from generalizing farmers as a bunch of players who compensated for their low ranks by gaming the system, regardless if it was made this way or not. At least, not until they prove that they are able to pull off good scores in a number of different areas as SG and SS both have.
Hello Skitty
Why do you care so much about pp farmers

I mean, everyone who knows a bit about the game knows who the real pros are, pp is pretty much mocked by everyone
Mithos
Are people really arguing that people who get #1 hard scores should be in the same league as those who are fighting for the top 10 on insanes? That's like comparing climbing a mountain to walking to the store. In 1-3 tries, most decent players can score a pp heavy rank on a hard, with a #1 usually within 10 tries. If you've seen people going for Top 10 on Insanes however, even the best players will have to retry many, many times before they even hit Top 20. On top of that, the songs are generally harder to pass in general.
winber1

Mithost wrote:

In 1-3 tries, most decent players can score a pp heavy rank on a hard, with a #1 usually within 10 tries.
no.

unless you are some accuracy whore/pro, this cannot be applied to all hards, especially ones with high pp yield, because these maps are the ones most contested for. for maybe those about around rank #2000+, it probably isn't that hard. However, once you reach like under #1000, it really isn't as easy as that. Farming Hards up to #50 is really actually not that easy.

This has nothing to with "oh, he's rank #30 but this actual pro is only rank like #120." Generally people already know the who the pros are, and the thread is mostly about why are pp farmers annoying to most people, and the most common answer is because they don't deserve their rank and everyone says it's easy to farm up to high ranks. It's not about what a player's actual rank should be. Like Kaoru said, I do believe that it truly isn't as easy to farm up to top like 250 as people think, though I will agree that obviously playing only insane maps and getting there is a much harder feat.

Those who actually farm their way up to top 250 are also definitely good players. You can't really look down at them for being completely undeserving. Those who actual farm from like top 200 to like top 50 are not able to farm up to there because they are only sub-decent players--they are able to farm up that quickly because they are actually pretty damn good players. Maybe not pro level, but I guarantee you there is no way they are sub-par at this game.

Also, I couldn't care less right now about my rank. too hard to raise gg, which is also partly why i don't care about pp farmers because i don't even care that much about rank. Also I generally know who is a pp farmer and who isn't, and whether or not they are higher rank or not, I couldn't care less since most people know who they are anyway.
Almost

winber1 wrote:

Those who actually farm their way up to top 250 are also definitely good players. You can't really look down at them for being completely undeserving. Those who actual farm from like top 200 to like top 50 are not able to farm up to there because they are only sub-decent players--they are able to farm up that quickly because they are actually pretty damn good players. Maybe not pro level, but I guarantee you there is no way they are sub-par at this game.
People who farm their way to top 250 by playing HD HR FL on hards are undeserving I think since getting a HD HR FL score is easier but more time consuming than achieving an SS with HD DT like KaODia. You really don't even need to be able to play AR9.8/10 proficiently to be able to set top scores with it.
Defacer

skiter43 wrote:

Why do you care so much about pp farmers

I mean, everyone who knows a bit about the game knows who the real pros are, pp is pretty much mocked by everyone
Your logic is correct but in reality it only applies to really high skilled players with relatively low rank like H4ppySt1ck or Elysion or listless or a couple of asians there.There are real talents in the ranks 2000--5000 not to mention the random asians.And I guess it's frustrating for a hard working player to find himself so low on rankings and at the same time a person who only learned HD and ACC doing the same pattern over and over again to be so high in the ranking.I admit I can't, generally suck at acc & hd and I like & play crazy maps, not sped up(DT) patterns for normal/hard diff so I give credit to them guys.

I am pretty sure all the well known ''farmers'' are good guys(and are certainly better than me and many others claiming that they are noobs), it's just the system that makes them look shitty.Same like when judging an artist by its audience(although usually the artist is aiming at certain audiences sometimes not), or football team by it's fans.It is natural to hate farmers because of the shitty system.
winber1
you shouldn't underestimate the HD HR FL players imo. They are better than you think. Can't say that they are pro, but as I said, you really can't underestimate the farmers.

How deserving they are for their rank is another matter, as I already said. I'm merely supporting the fact that pp farmers aren't trash players at all.
Yarissa
I don't really like arguing over this, but I think winber has some very valid points. The reason I personally farm is because my rank is a token of the time I invested into this game (as opposed to a testament to my actual skill). After all, my rank is reflected in the client and on the website since pp is the official ranking system. If tp was adopted as the official ranking system, I would do my best to raise my ranks in tp. Regardless, I don't think any ranking system will ever properly gauge skill. At the very least, it can come close. I don't disagree with the fact that the tp system is currently the most accurate system but it has its flaws as well. Jappy, you even pointed those flaws out. There are quite a few maps that are poorly weighed.

Also I have no idea how the pp system works as far as comparing players on a map goes. I still think that (regardless of player rank) that the more highscores there are on a map the harder it is to get a good highscore.

I do think there's a handful of farmers that try hard for their scores and SSs. But I see some players (such as Andrea) who can consistently SS maps. If you've ever wanted to get an SS on a high OD map with like 700 combo or so, you would know how aggravating and time consuming it is to try and SS. I have to admit I'm pretty impressed when I see a player get an SS in their first few tries on a map. Not to mention some of the Hards that yield pp are incredibly difficult 2key maps with 280+ BPM mapped in 1/2. (Here's an example off the top of my head: jippusu - Heisei Kataku Rhythm). And the higher your pp gets the harder it is to gain pp from cheesy plays like a random #1 on an uncontested hard. I've set a handful of #1s that were difficult. It's frustrating when those #1s yield little to no pp at all. It's not always as easy as just playing the first hard you see, getting #1, and watching your pp fly off the charts. It would be nice if it was.

I sincerely wish that map difficulty was properly weighed by whatever ranking system peppy adopts with ppv2. I want the official ranking system to be acknowledged as a good one- not one that is easily farmed. One where a high rank is actually a reflection of your skill. I'd like more than anything to have a high rank with that one, too, since people tend to look down on the fact that I farmed.
eldnl
Show less ... seriously.
Dexus

Kaoru wrote:

I'd like more than anything to have a high rank with that one, too, since people tend to look down on the fact that I farmed.
off-topic to the thread:

Don't worry Kaoru, you're pro to me if that counts for what little credibility I have.

on-topic:

Kaoru /thread
He has said pretty much everything. Also, I've spoken of a better difficulty rating system before the ranking system could get fixed but there really hasn't been a move on that.
Aireu
All I have to say is... Have fun with all of those spectators
PUG_old_1
People can't seriously hate someone for enjoying ranking up in a game, who cares if there are better players that are lower rank.
autofanboy
Just ignore the pp farmers and its ok

Cuz its just a game
Soulg
these necros
Weed
somethin somethin scarlet rose
Icyteru
Seems like people are now hated for tp farming
silmarilen

[AirCoN] wrote:

source?
Wishy
Noobs who can't farm TP might hate them.
darkmiz
to farm tp you need to farm the HD mod which allows you to enter top 50 easier
kriers
I don't like speed/aim-only tp farmers haha
Icyteru

silmarilen wrote:

[AirCoN] wrote:

source?

"Lol it's okay if you have a higher tp, you still play like shit, so it doesn't matter"

@Kriers

Really? Accuracy seems like the easiest aspect of tp to farm.
kriers
it happens to be the easiest aspect to farm only because so much effort has been put into aim and speed tp. Those scores usually have really low values of accuracy tp, while that heavy tp gain is from much easier beatmaps. The tp system does scale the value by how high the overall tp gain is, but still you can get insane overall tp by having crazy aim, speed or accuracy only scores.

Never actually tested doing this since I don't farm tp.
AmaiHachimitsu
I don't like speed/aim-only tp farmers haha
: (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Also, accuracy might help you get goof tp rank without playing hard maps at all. This is mainly due to hefty amount of singletap+triple/short stream maps with high OD. Longer streams kill your acc a bit but you get more speed points, which is quite fair.
Almost

kriers wrote:

it happens to be the easiest aspect to farm only because so much effort has been put into aim and speed tp. Those scores usually have really low values of accuracy tp, while that heavy tp gain is from much easier beatmaps. The tp system does scale the value by how high the overall tp gain is, but still you can get insane overall tp by having crazy aim, speed or accuracy only scores.

Never actually tested doing this since I don't farm tp.
You can easily get accuracy in tp by playing slow songs with DT. All my SS on OD9.8 which I find to be a quite difficult to do have given me less accuracy tp than slow songs with DT that are actually really easy to accuracy. Aim songs generally scale at an appropriate rate with more jumpy songs awarding higher aim tp. Speed songs sometimes award more for faster songs but having more stamina and streaming speed allow you to have higher tp speed. Accuracy is easily the easiest of all of them since you don't need to play difficult songs to get high amounts at low ranks mainly talking about around my tp rank.
pielak213
i think tp is easier to farm than pp. why is tp better ranking system? i retry a tp map 3 times and i get tp while i never get anythikng from pp
i also have 8 ss and #200~ acc tp but it takes me 20 retry to ss something while everyone around me has like at least 50

tp doesnt seem like a good system...
show more