Total Posts
show more
silmarilen
good joke

using 1 map's scoreboard for an overall ranking is the worst thing ever
winber1

silmarilen wrote:

Yuu-Chii wrote:

I really wish i knew what rank i would be... if there was a perfect ranking system
God forbid
i would probably most likely not even be in top 1k
i would
ahuehuehehuehue
Plushies

silmarilen wrote:

good joke

But hey, it's about as accurate as the pp system if not more ^^
Aqo

Plushies wrote:

silmarilen wrote:

good joke

But hey, it's about as accurate as the pp system if not more ^^
The PP system basically uses one map's scoreboard for ranking, for all maps

The reason that using one map's ranking is bad is that not all players play the same maps or try equally hard on them

So in a way, if you just take one more popular map and use that to base ranking on, instead of "all maps", you really do get a system that is "bad but still better than PP".

gg PP proven bad from a corner case viewpoint. nothing new here move along zzz
Miyu
PP needs to go down.
go awayyyy

revolution starts in 3...2...1.....
boat
pp is da best i lub pp is so good
Spare
pp noob :C
buny

Silynn wrote:

sCam wrote:

Also, those random players who get's C's and B's on maps like tu4ar/banned forever without Nofail is pretty impressive too. Just passing maps like those can be a better indicator of skill, than those pesky pp farmers.
Maps like those are mostly hard because you have to move your fingers really fast, passing isn't too hard if you can do that cause the drain isn't particularly high

people who get B's/C's on them just spam through them, so not impressive at all imo
or they just can't get high accuracy
it's hard to keep on beat on maps that are purely just streams.
Ziggo

Winshley wrote:

I would like to ask everyone whether I deserve to be on Top 500 in pp ranking, because I think otherwise. (Inb4 trolling with "yes"-es)
I think you deserve it, because there are not many players who can do what you do. This game isn't all about speed (even though some people think otherwise).
Sotodashi

boat wrote:

pp is da best i lub pp is so good
nice boat
Ataman
The following is just an observation of mine. Make your own opinion.

This map is my third best performance: Full combo @ 99%
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/44963
I could easily get a SS and some more pp if I wanted.

On the following map I also got a full combo but at 96%
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/78049
Now, getting that S really involved some work (for me) but isn't considered in my performance AT ALL. (Because I'm not in the top 600).
Trying to reach even more accuracy requires additional work on my part.
MillhioreF

Ataman wrote:

pp is horribly inaccurate at lower ranks... and at higher ranks, for that matter. From my observations, #1000-#5000 is the golden range where pp works best - almost every map rewards you for getting a really good rank, but not every map gives you free pp for nothing. Below there, most maps will give you pp even for a kinda lame rank (as long as it's top 50), and above there, you pretty much rely on pp-loaded maps to give you significant rankups.
Full Tablet

MillhioreF wrote:

Ataman wrote:

pp is horribly inaccurate at lower ranks... and at higher ranks, for that matter. From my observations, #1000-#5000 is the golden range where pp works best - almost every map rewards you for getting a really good rank, but not every map gives you free pp for nothing. Below there, most maps will give you pp even for a kinda lame rank (as long as it's top 50), and above there, you pretty much rely on pp-loaded maps to give you significant rankups.
At my current rank (#5,298), I still get pp with most 400-500 ranks as long I used HR to get it (it seems that defeating HD-only scores with only HR gives more pp, even in maps that are DT-able). There are even maps where I am ~650 rank and they are in my top pp list.
I think I have never got pp from a top 50 rank (except in 2 maps, one of them not in my top pp list anymore).
MillhioreF
Perhaps the range is even smaller than I hoped, then. #700-2000?
TRIYP
I'm almost in the top 2000 and I've never really felt the need to farm pp from hards with mods. Playing nomod insanes seems to give plenty of pp if you have good enough accuracy. Although I have to consistently place in the top 200 with my nomod scores to gain 1 pp now. Through rank 4000 it's pretty easy to get pp with nomod insanes from my experience.
neonat
My favourite difficulty is [Hard] as I feel I can enjoy the music/video to the fullest, without much need to be clicking many times throughout the whole song. I don't really care much about [Insane]. Hell, I kinda hate DT because it sometimes screws the sound of the song, and retrying songs just to get a high rank is almost pointless since I'm there to listen to the song. I get pp from the [Hard] songs I play. Am I a pp farmer? Well, that's not my opinion, I am enjoying the game (though I should at least get a song played more than 60 times). Irks me when people think I am though, but meh.
Sup A Noob
PP and ranks are pointless because...

I'm pretty sure I can get my rank up to the 1000+ if I simply played every single hardest Insanes out there nomod.

But I'm not going to prove myself right or anyone wrong by getting into that.

The best way to measure skill level at this point is to take part in competitions and fight it out for the best.

But back to topic. PP farmers have that strange sort of consistency and standard to make it if they wanted to, but they just really wanted the rank. But that only really applies to those who are in the top 500 or something.

A PP system which rewards Insanes more difficult than modded Hards requires a human-based difficulty rating, possibly over a metric score of 100. I've said it before in one of the other thread but someone claimed that human-defined difficulty ratings are stupid. It's up to you to agree with me.
silmarilen

Sup A Noob wrote:

I'm pretty sure I can get my rank up to the 1000+ if I simply played every single hardest Insanes out there nomod.
probably not
getting pp from nomod scores is rare up here.
you would have to get high acc on maps with litle mod scores, like EastNewSound - I Wish You Would Die or something (this map gave me like 7-8pp at rank 700~ when i got this score)
Almost

Sup A Noob wrote:

PP and ranks are pointless because...

But I'm not going to prove myself right or anyone wrong by getting into that.
There are a lot of hard insanes like https://osu.ppy.sh/b/159335 or https://osu.ppy.sh/b/165439 which give no pp for a nomod FC with 98+% accuracy. On the other hand, you can get some pretty easy insanes like http://osu.ppy.sh/b/201535 that give a lot of pp.
Sup A Noob

silmarilen wrote:

Sup A Noob wrote:

probably not
you would have to get high acc on maps with litle mod scores, like EastNewSound - I Wish You Would Die or something (this map gave me like 7-8pp at rank 700~ when i got this score)
With my current rank, and all my song's current ranks, it would definitely go up.

Though, I have to admit, 1000 is a bit of a far shot.
djjsixpack

silmarilen wrote:

Sup A Noob wrote:

probably not
That thing boosted me like 40 ranks back when I was rank 700. I liked seeing it in my top PP, but it's not there anymore :(

This map gave me a few ranks too, even at 400.
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/92087
Aqo
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/199304 this map is giving me PP and I didn't even A it

le wut

Apparently it's enough to get top ranks on easy maps to farm pp
sCam
for now, I don't worry about pp, and just focus on getting top 50 ranks in my country, beating friends in multi, and fc'ing insanes.

pp is too much stress, I'm getting bald cuz of it <.<
VoidnOwO

enquire wrote:

On the other hand, you can get some pretty easy insanes like http://osu.ppy.sh/b/201535 that give a lot of pp.
SS on first try, rank #119.
Rank 3595 -> 3576

"a lot of PP"

HD 98,5%
Rank 3576 -> 3576
Lance
That is a fair bit of PP for such a low rank.
Xyrene
I actually like appearing a much, much lower rank (assuming low to high is to #10 to #1).
It throws people off in MP that a #50000 can survive insanes lol. Now I'm #39000+ and people expect me to play well. Sigh.
ethox

HotogiShirayuki wrote:

I actually like appearing a much, much lower rank (assuming low to high is to #10 to #1).
It throws people off in MP that a #50000 can survive insanes lol. Now I'm #39000+ and people expect me to play well. Sigh.
I'm on the better side of 200 and nobody expects me to play anything :|
NoJoke_old_1
There's absolutely nothing wrong with PP farming.

If a player is good at a few hard/insane maps by logic the more they play it the better they get. Therefore, while gaining PP they are also gaining better handles as I'd call it on the game to advance to harder maps.

Everyone knows Cookiezi is a PP farmer, however he did the same thing as most of the top ranks. He plays a few maps over and over again for PP until he gets bored of them and moves on to another to farm. Not to mention, he was one of the first besides maybe White Wolf to S TBB. That wasn't just from farming, that's the knowledge and skill he gained from all the hard work over the years. The PP paid off granting him the rank he deserves.

I do agree with most people here that say something along the lines of the better players are in the top 100's. This is 100% true, however they're more casual players willing to gain it gradually over time as their skill increases instead of grinding. They don't have the time that Cookiezi has or any other top 10.

If you feel you belong at a higher level, by all means grind a certain map for PP to gain the rank you deserve. However always keep it in a reasonable range. Just because you can beat a [HARD] map doesn't mean you belong in the top 10. Stay within your personal range thus can be determined over time.
silmarilen
cookiezi was good before pp got implented, what are you talking about?
right now hes just farming pp to get 7k
NoJoke_old_1

silmarilen wrote:

That's kinda what I was saying. Just because they farmed doesn't mean they're bad, infact they wouldn't be so popular due to their skill level if they weren't good.
Almost

NoJoke wrote:

silmarilen wrote:

That's kinda what I was saying. Just because they farmed doesn't mean they're bad, infact they wouldn't be so popular due to their skill level if they weren't good.
There are actually some hard farmers who can't play insanes well. Hards don't improve your ability to play insanes either since most of them have simple spacing and patterns. The only thing I find hards useful for is improving single tapping speed.
NoJoke_old_1

Almost wrote:

There are actually some hard farmers who can't play insanes well. Hards don't improve your ability to play insanes either since most of them have simple spacing and patterns. The only thing I find hards useful for is improving single tapping speed.
I do agree, however seeing the only way to play an insane very well is to memorize where the paterns are going to emerge next. That way you'll be telling your brain, "Hey, I'll need to keep my mouse closer to this general location because a line of notes are about to appear." and so forth.

As long as you can keep up with the notes, all you'd need to do is memorize the majority of the pasterns of the map and you're set.
AdonixSS
At least I never see Cookiezi farming easy maps
HDDT Remote control against other random easy hards 100% is entirely two different gradations
NoJoke_old_1

AdonixSS wrote:

HDDT Remote control against other random easy hards 100% is entirely two different gradations
Agreed. Once again I never said he was a bad player. He's a great player and he deserves his rank, that's what my posts were all about all along. If you deserve such a ranking then I see no problem in farming for the rank. However let's say you're like me that can't pass many hard maps on DT/DS/HD/FL it simply means it's where you should be and you shouldn't farm until you're ready.

If you find yourself able to beat a good amount of insane maps I see nothing wrong with farming your PP to become one of the top 1,000 seeing you deserve it. Over time whileast farming you'll be getting better along the way so once you hit that point you'll be right where you should be. At that point, it's a matter of playing with others around your skill level and testing yourself to say "Hey, I don't belong here..." or "Hey, I belong slightly higher!" which if you feel your peers around your PP are significantly lower than you, farm.

This way you'll be with the peers you belong in. However you could be ranked 300k and still be able to do better than a top 10 if you know what you're doing so overall, rank means nothing in the end. It's just a flashy number that gives out fame. I'd prefer to stay where I belong and stay away from the top ranks so I don't draw attention. I can tell it would be quite tedious to play a single map and have hundreds of people watching me when I first get up in the morning to practice!
Almost

NoJoke wrote:

AdonixSS wrote:

Agreed. Once again I never said he was a bad player. He's a great player and he deserves his rank, that's what my posts were all about all along. If you deserve such a ranking then I see no problem in farming for the rank. However let's say you're like me that can't pass many hard maps on DT/DS/HD/FL it simply means it's where you should be and you shouldn't farm until you're ready.

If you find yourself able to beat a good amount of insane maps I see nothing wrong with farming your PP to become one of the top 1,000 seeing you deserve it. Over time whileast farming you'll be getting better along the way so once you hit that point you'll be right where you should be. At that point, it's a matter of playing with others around your skill level and testing yourself to say "Hey, I don't belong here..." or "Hey, I belong slightly higher!" which if you feel your peers around your PP are significantly lower than you, farm.

This way you'll be with the peers you belong in. However you could be ranked 300k and still be able to do better than a top 10 if you know what you're doing so overall, rank means nothing in the end. It's just a flashy number that gives out fame. I'd prefer to stay where I belong and stay away from the top ranks so I don't draw attention. I can tell it would be quite tedious to play a single map and have hundreds of people watching me when I first get up in the morning to practice!
This thread is about the pp farmers who farm hard difficulties and don't deserve the rank they have (like me).
Iluya

NoJoke wrote:

Almost wrote:

I do agree, however seeing the only way to play an insane very well is to memorize where the paterns are going to emerge next. That way you'll be telling your brain, "Hey, I'll need to keep my mouse closer to this general location because a line of notes are about to appear." and so forth.

As long as you can keep up with the notes, all you'd need to do is memorize the majority of the pasterns of the map and you're set.
But that means, that you have to have fun and keep the fun on playing the same annoying part, over and over again and when getting further, you will eventually fail again in the first part again..
I'm one of those you might consider a hard farmer. But i get my satisfaction in playing maps, that i find fun to play. Thats often the hard one, as the insane is just so fast / has long streams / patterns i just dislike, i can barely get a B on them. The point in playing the game is for me to have fun. My satisfaction is the greatest, when finally fc a hard in the 5th 10th 20th Try. Maybe even with HD and have a nice Acc. That on the other hand is rewarded by the pp system. So dont blame everybody, who is farming hards.. MAybe they just get more fun from that, than memorizing insanes to know exactly how to play them. I dont care that much about my ranking. I know many with 10k+ Ranking that play waaayy better than me. But i cannot help it..

You might also consider, that some ppl arent 16 anymore and it isnt that easy anymore to get more speed. A younger body is better capeble of adapting to speed.
Aqo

Iluya wrote:

You might also consider, that some ppl arent 16 anymore and it isnt that easy anymore to get more speed. A younger body is better capeble of adapting to speed.
That's a common misconception.

A lot of high level pros in competitive video games today are people in their 20s who often even started playing that late.
Unless you're 30+ and already have a kid who's going to school you have no excuse for saying you can't get good if you wanted to.
boat
It's not a misconception at all, it's just very situational and doesn't apply to everybody. I don't got as much energy as I used to have, and my eyesight is getting worse. I now can't play anything challenging without wearing my glasses and get tired a lot quicker, thus if I had practiced properly back when I was still young and full of life I'd most certainly perform ten times better.
Aqo

boat wrote:

It's not a misconception at all, it's just very situational and doesn't apply to everybody.
That's the point, the misconception is that there's a rule that says getting older equals getting worse at stuff like dexterity and other video-game related abilities. For many people it's really the opposite.
silmarilen

NoJoke wrote:

Almost wrote:

people dont play insanes by memorization, 95% of it is sight read and memorization is only on hidden or when the ar is too high (generally ar10+ altho a lot of people are getting better at sightreading those aswell)

Iluya wrote:

I'm one of those you might consider a hard farmer. But i get my satisfaction in playing maps, that i find fun to play. Thats often the hard one, as the insane is just so fast / has long streams / patterns i just dislike, i can barely get a B on them.
rank 6k and having trouble with insanes can hardly be called a hard farmer
hard farmers are people who can play insanes perfectly fine but prefer to play hards over them to get more pp. you should generally be thinking of people in the top 1k.
show more