forum

Nearby countries ranking

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +233
show more
XPJ38
Haha I already see problems with some countries like Belgium (half as active as Sweden btw). West will tend to go with France while East will tend to go with the Netherlands :lol:

Anyway that's a pretty good idea. It would also perhaps be nice to see player's country next to his name to avoid confusion on player's origin.

edit: typo
VoidnOwO
:)
Topic Starter
boat

theowest wrote:

You guys have a lot more professional players that us and that would just ruin the chance for many of us to feel good.
This argument is broken. Global toplists don't do this already?

31415926535897 wrote:

I agree with theowest. The point in giving us a country ranking is too compete with the people that we talk a lot with and that we have a lot in common with, like speaking almost the same language and such. That will be scandinavia on its own. And not so much the fins. (sorry lonely finnish people ;w; )
That's what the "friends ranking" filter is for.

You guys have to get into your head that this is not a replacement of the separate "country ranking". Nearly all of the arguments you've provided as to why Finland should not be coupled with Scandinavia can essentially translate into a mere "because", despite that you will still be able to both filter by the people on your friendslist and in your own country alone.
XPJ38

BRBP wrote:

How well would it fit, or do mean similar to how people's avatars are shown in multi? Nice idea though.
That, or a small flag next to the player's name.
VoidnOwO
silmarilen
unrelated to scandinavia but related to the request

benelux? or belgium+netherlands?
Topic Starter
boat

BRBP wrote:

I thought it was because of Peppy's comments on both "changing country to region" and "reducing the load on lookups".
I got them confused with your original post. mb.
This is not the feature request I proposed.

Seemingly, #scandinavias massive ego can't handle any competition and they wish to keep your circlejerk the way it is, regardless of benefits.

I give up, can't be arsed with this. Unless anyone who cares comes up with a solution, lock and trash the thread, thanks.
CXu
I have no idea why they don't want finland in the list lol.
VoidnOwO
Saten
It's not that we dislike them or anything, it's just that it would make more sense if Scandinavian was Scandinavian even in that area (Yes, North Germanic languages)

The same way you wanted to merge Finland with Skandi instead of Russia (that you strongly disagreed with yourself) is not that of a valid reason either imo.
VoidnOwO
theowest

boat wrote:

theowest wrote:

You guys have a lot more professional players that us and that would just ruin the chance for many of us to feel good.
This argument is broken. Global toplists don't do this already?
Yes, my bad. Silly argument, sorry about that.

---

The reason for my request is because people in countries may have a different opinion on which countries they want to see (in case of merged country situation). You will be registered in your own country, but can choose to view other countries, multiple even if there aren't enough ranks. That's basically what I am suggesting in my request.

I just wanted consistency, I personally think Finland doesn't go well together with our countries.
As boat stated, this request will not replace the current country filter, this spawned some much unnecessary discussion...

It's all up to peppy, it seems my topic has more support but this topic is more reasonable. We'll see what happens.

PeteX wrote:

If this happen, many of us would like to have Czech and Slovak country ranking together, it would also make sense since we already share the #czechoslovak channel
SPOILER
That's why we #skandinavians wanted consistency. We share the same chat already, we always done that. We've been merged together for years (all the time). Why would we suddenly include a new foreign country?

^ old counter argument for BRBP why some of us don't want to be with Finland. but of course, you guys want to be with us. And since we can't have both: t/124964 to make everyone happy.
PeteX
If this happen, many of us would like to have Czech and Slovak country ranking together, it would also make sense since we already share the #czechoslovak channel
VoidnOwO
GoldenWolf

silmarilen wrote:

Definitively benelux
Swatty

PeteX wrote:

This, give us Czech and Slovak ranking together please :)
Lanturn
So just have a Continent-based scoreboard?
North/South America, Europe, Asia and so on.

Pretty much like this list? http://www.worldatlas.com/cntycont.htm

It would make it a lot easier, and I'm sure the eastern countries like Japan/China/Korea would like to have a scoreboard where they can compare just themselves. I'd like the same for Canada/USA/Mexico since I have some people from america/mexico I play with

I do realize this is a bit off topic, but since its similar to the request, I'll post here anyways. Let me know what you guys think.
Topic Starter
boat

Lanturn wrote:

So just have a Continent-based scoreboard?
Issue with this is that it isn't the point of the already existing feature. The goal is competitiveness within smaller circles, and for that the scoreboards would have to be divided into something far smaller than for instance whole of Europe.

Dooms wrote:

Group by language? Make it where players can set their dominant language and just group by that? o_o.
Yeah no, this make even less sense.
Dooms
Group by language? Make it where players can set their dominant language and just group by that? o_o.
-libili
Just bind the countries with less playerss with one of the neighbourland.. that easy is it!

Germany has enough ;) dont wanna get compiled with other countries
Landere

silmarilen wrote:

Benelux I guess.
It wouldn't have to be a problem to add Luxembourg :D
Metro
Just in case: Argentina wouldn't want to be grouped with any other country. We get along with Brazil but we're too different and we don't get along with any other SA countries.
Topic Starter
boat

Metro wrote:

Just in case: Argentina wouldn't want to be grouped with any other country. We get along with Brazil but we're too different and we don't get along with any other SA countries.
Argentina should have enough players for this to not be required anyways.
Metro

boat wrote:

Metro wrote:

Argentina should have enough players for this to not be required anyways.
Cool. Just wanted to make sure.
Cataku

-libili wrote:

Just bind the countries with less playerss with one of the neighbourland.. that easy is it!

Germany has enough ;) dont wanna get compiled with other countries

That looks like the best solution to me.
I'd love for Ireland to be grouped with someone (though our only neighbour is Britain, but they have enough players to compete with (I hope))
For countries such as Poland, with a /lot/ of great active players, it would only do harm to group them with anyone.

So let's group us smallsies! : D
peppy
Can someone please sum up proposed mappings in a single post so I can act on this? Ignoring preferences, I'd like to see the largest groupings possible to allow for actual competitive rankings.
Topic Starter
boat
Alright, I'm working on it.

Please refer to this thread to provide your inputs on this p/2438955

In the meantime I would like to know your personal opinion on grouping lesser countries with the major ones, rather than the small ones together but alone. If grouping a lesser one with a major makes sense then I assume that would be the ideal way to go on about it, but I would still like your opinion on the matter.

Thank you in advance.
laport
Just in case: The Netherlands wouldn't want to be grouped with any other country except for Finland. We get along with Belgium but we're too different (they speak French/Flemming and are roman Catholics, whereas we speak Dutch and are Protestants) and we don't get along with any other EU countries except for Finland.
Topic Starter
boat

laport wrote:

Just in case: The Netherlands wouldn't want to be grouped with any other country except for Finland. We get along with Belgium but we're too different (they speak French/Flemming and are roman Catholics, whereas we speak Dutch and are Protestants) and we don't get along with any other EU countries except for Finland.
If you can get people to vouch in on that then it will be noted down as a majorities opinion. Regardless of what country you supposedly get along with, if there is no ethnic correlation then chances are you will not get merged. Please try to keep to the thread in GD to keep this as clean and tidy as possible, as well to get more peoples views and opinions on it.
Bells
What if I told you that some countries don't want to be grouped with others no matter how small they are..... I know right?, take a minute to process
Yukiteru Amano
Bump. I made a duplicate and therefore bumping :)
Yukiteru Amano
Bump Again.... xD