forum

Unable to kill the osu! process in the task manager. [resolved]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ImNatalie
I am unable to run the game because the process is open and I am unable to close it in task manager. When I open the game, it tells me it needs to update, but can't because the process is still open. The updater attempts to kill the process, but can't, and tells me to kill it in task manager. I try, but when I click "end process", nothing happens.

Steps to reproduce the 'bug':

1. Open osu!.
2. Wait for the updater to automatically close the game
3. Wait for the updater to attempt to kill the process
4. After it doesn't, attempt to kill the process manually via task manager
5. Become more and more frustrated as you repeatedly attempt to kill the process, because it doesn't work.
6. ????
7. Profit.

I've tried restarting my computer, but it seems as if the process just won't go away at all. I can include a screenshot of the task manager or updater, but I don't feel that it's necessary. If you want one, I can include it.

Thanks in advance,

Touchette.
James2250

Touchette wrote:

I've tried restarting my computer, but it seems as if the process just won't go away at all.
Touchette.
It almost sounds like you mean it is still there when you restart the computer before you even touch osu! again (which would be very strange). Have you tried running osume directly from the osu! folder after restarting without touching osu?
Topic Starter
ImNatalie

James2250 wrote:

Touchette wrote:

I've tried restarting my computer, but it seems as if the process just won't go away at all.
Touchette.
It almost sounds like you mean it is still there when you restart the computer before you even touch osu! again (which would be very strange). Have you tried running osume directly from the osu! folder after restarting without touching osu?

Yes, it's there before I touch it again. Also, I have tried running osume from the osu! directory and all that happens is that it attempts to kill the process as normal and can't.

I just downloaded EndItAll and Process Explorer to attempt to kill it, and neither could.

Thanks in advance,

Touchette.
James2250
Was going to suggest some type of program like that next, if none of those work it may be some sort of virus interfering with your system. Try running a virus/malware scan to be safe?

I would also suggest shutting down your computer completely but if I a restart didn't work it prob wouldn't make much difference.
MillhioreF
Can you use Process Explorer to kill its individual threads until it dies off?
Topic Starter
ImNatalie

James2250 wrote:

Touchette wrote:

Touchette.

I'll try shutting down completely and I'll post back here after I try.

MillhioreF, before I do shut down, could you tell me how to do that with Process Explorer so I can try? Haven't used it before.
theowest

MillhioreF wrote:

by that you mean this right:
James2250
^ I actually thought that was what he was trying, but it's a good idea.
VoidnOwO
Taskkill /im osu!.exe /f
Topic Starter
ImNatalie

theowest wrote:

MillhioreF wrote:

by that you mean this right:

No, Process Explorer is a different program written by an employee at Microsoft.

Using that taskkill command in the command prompt (ran as an admin) didn't work.
VoidnOwO
Didn't fix your issue (opening on restart) or didn't do anything at all? What's the error msg? You could also kill by PID.

Sorry for this, but have you tried uninstalling? ^_^
afaik songs aren't deleted, and you could back up whatever you need; like scores.db
Topic Starter
ImNatalie

BRBP wrote:

Didn't fix your issue (opening on restart) or didn't do anything at all? What's the error msg? You could also kill by PID.

Sorry for this, but have you tried uninstalling? ^_^
afaik songs aren't deleted, and you could back up whatever you need; like scores.db

I'll try uninstalling and restarting afterwards, but I can't delete osu!.exe because it's perpetually open. Also, the command said it successfully killed the process, but nothing actually happened.

edit: Just killed by PID, it claimed to kill it successfully and did not.
VoidnOwO
So, is the process always open, but osu! client isn't? And when you open it to try to update it shows two?

-Run msconfig and see if it's set to open on startup (although this unlikely helps)
-Backup everything and then select everything under the original folder and hit delete. Can you delete everything except the .exe? Can you even rename it (should be possible even when it's running.)
-If you make a new user and log in with that, does it still open by itself?

I haven't used Process Explorer myself, so you should wait for MillhioreF or Google how to use it.
Topic Starter
ImNatalie

BRBP wrote:

So, is the process always open, but osu! client isn't? And when you open it to try to update it shows two?

-Run msconfig and see if it's set to open on startup (although this unlikely helps)
-Backup everything and then select everything under the original folder and hit delete. Can you delete everything except the .exe? Can you even rename it (should be possible even when it's running.)

I haven't used Process Explorer myself, so you should ask MillhioreF or Google how to use it.

-It isn't set to run on startup.
-I have around 2GB in songs, so backing it up will take like 20 minutes, but there's nothing stopping me from deleting everything besides the osu!.exe, so I assume that's the case. Yes, I can rename it.
-Haven't tried, I'll make one.
Fllandre
Use a linux cd to access the pc and delete the folder where osu is installing.
Topic Starter
ImNatalie

BRBP wrote:

I haven't used Process Explorer myself, so you should wait for MillhioreF or Google how to use it.

Here's a screenshot of the files that I could not delete:

Kamui7 wrote:

As for Kamui, I have no Linux CD, nor do I understand what you're trying to say... Install a Linux partition and delete osu! from there?
VoidnOwO
Or open cmd at login screen and delete osu before it starts running.
Topic Starter
ImNatalie

BRBP wrote:

Or open cmd at login screen and delete osu before it starts running.
I'll try this. How do I open my command prompt at the login screen?
VoidnOwO
Sent you a PM. Please let us know if it worked or not.
mm201
How many osu!.exe processes are there?
Fllandre

Touchette wrote:

Kamui7 wrote:

As for Kamui, I have no Linux CD, nor do I understand what you're trying to say... Install a Linux partition and delete osu! from there?
It can runs directly from the dvd drive without installation and you have access to the files on your hard drives.

You can download here, then just burn to a disc and boot the system from the disk.

How to burn a DVD on Windows

How to run Ubuntu from a DVD
Topic Starter
ImNatalie

BRBP wrote:

I restarted and the osu!.exe process was gone, I updated and am now able to run it, but I don't see what the difference was with restarting this time and the other times...

mm201 wrote:

How many osu!.exe processes are there?

There was only 1 osu!.exe process.

BRBP wrote:

Thanks for the information, I'm sure it will come in handy again, certainly this problem will resurface... Damn Murphy's Law.

And thank you Kamui, for that Linux guide, always wanted a Linux partition...

Anyways, thank you guys so much from your help, I'm glad I could resolve the problem. Hopefully this thread can help others with the same problem. :)

Thanks again,

Touchette.