forum

JacoPOP - General advices.. [Added in b77] [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
JacoPOP
I'm going to use this thread to tell you what's on my mind when I play..

First Thought

Songs are TOO long.. and this make them too damn hard..
I don't think in the original game there are 4/5 minutes long songs..
People should EDIT the songs to make them last a couple of minutes..
A lot of cartoon openings are perfect, I think

Second Thought

I think you should change the way spinners are managed by the game..
(i'm sorry for my english.. i'll try to explain..)

Is it possible to LOCK the cursor at the center of the spinner and move the mouse around it?
So even if you move your hand outside the spinner, the cursor is still on the place where you first clicked..
peppy

JacoPOP wrote:

Songs are TOO long..
With the recent (yesterday!) introduction of intermission/break sections, beatmap creators will have the option of having rest sections. This will eventually be expanded to allow for animation and whatnot to take place, as well as have partial ratings.

If you are looking for shorter songs, try some of MCXD's beatmaps - these are the shortest around at the moment. Personally, I don't have many gripes about the length of those being created, but I just speak for myself on this :).

Let's hear people's opinions.

JacoPOP wrote:

I think you should change the way spinners are managed by the game..
See this thread, where we have discussed just this. I think the general consensus is similar to your viewpoint.
tsububu
As a beatmap creator I find making maps for long songs time consuming.
Unless of course you copy and paste - but things become too repetitive.

I tend to crop the mp3, by removing a chorus or a verse, without making the music sound awkward.

But yea all beatmaps I've played so far have been decently length :)
IcePagoda

tsububu wrote:

But yea all beatmaps I've played so far have been decently length :)
Just out of curiosity, what is considered the 'normal' length of an EBA song?

In DDR, it's usually considered to be 1:30-2:00 minutes, so editing becomes essential. But with EBA, it seems that a song can go 3:00 minutes and then some (even with animation breaks). So, is there a standard time frame for songs with, and without, intermissions? I'd like to make charts as accurate as possible, but doing so requires a time frame.
eyup
I don't think there is a time limit to a beatmap - it's all up to the discretion of the creator. Obviously the length has to be reasonable - don't go beatmapping X Japan's Art of Life! :mrgreen:

I think anywhere from 1:30 to 4:00 of play time is pretty good. Adding in intermissions will increase the total time but not the play time, which is OK - kind of a rest break for the players. So theoretically you can map a 5 minute song with breaks, and it'll play pretty well.

Some of the EBA songs were pretty long. Or at least they seemed really long. Jumpin Jack Flash seemed to last for 20mins, I swear! :roll:
chan
Shorter songs eh?

After playing a beatmap I recently completed, I felt like it was inevitable that I would be struck with RSI! I should seriously give more consideration to breaks and shorter song lengths. This too was on my mind when creating, as I felt that some sections might be a bit tedious/repetitive.
Will try to crank out some shorter versions and versions with pauses for my previously posted beatmaps! Surely this can't be too hard! ...(famous last words)

On a side note, I can run Osu! at uni!
peppy
Spinner now locks.

Break sections can be added to make the song less stressful! Soon to be available in the editor.