forum

Songs not loading when using Visual Settings [confirmed] [resolved]

posted
Total Posts
show more
MillhioreF
To clarify my previous post, checking "Disable video" on a map without video triggers this bug almost every time. There are a couple seconds (or more for marathons) where it's clickable before the map loads and it greys out. Then you get stuck, and the only way out is clicking the red X or Alt+F4 (Esc doesn't work)
MillhioreF

The changelog wrote:

[peppy] Fix ability to toggle video disable briefly on maps which don't have videos (causing a crash).
Nice to see this is fixed! Can anyone replicate it with other visual settings?
Enzo_old

MillhioreF wrote:

The changelog wrote:

[peppy] Fix ability to toggle video disable briefly on maps which don't have videos (causing a crash).
Maps that don't have storyboards (it can be toggled while the map is loading)
Topic Starter
Xytox

Enzo wrote:

MillhioreF wrote:

Maps that don't have storyboards (it can be toggled while the map is loading)
Yup, this is true, I'm afraid. It's also possible to still make the game go crazy and crash if you toggle the visual settings on too early when starting a beatmap.
peppy
Please test in the latest build. Should be better, I hope.
Topic Starter
Xytox
It seems to be fixed completely on my end. Even if I spam the toggles, osu still manages to load the beatmap without any problems.
Harp Note
Just a while ago I had the problem when the scoreboard remains stuck at the side.

Map: http://osu.ppy.sh/b/49612

I think it has to do with the skin of said map (and maybe my slow pc?), the first time I dont remember how exactly happened but obviously I was adjusting the visual settings.

It was hard trying to replicate that, and still I can't find a way to do it 100% of the time. Proving that certainly this is mostly fixed. I will write everything:

- This map has custom skin and sound, so it could take more time to load, nothing new. Before the map start you have the chance to change between your skin/sounds and the map's, in other words, desactivate or enable the "ignore beatmap skin/sound" infinite times if you are quick enough.

Once you are done, sometimes the map will keep loading, just like before the fix, and quitting the map with Alt+F4 will put a blue screen for some time (in reality thats the blue of the title screen, maybe if you are a supporter and have a custom bg it will be a black screen, again, like before) , after that it will bring you back to the song selection and it will appear the classical "There was an error while loading the beatmap",Image. And if you play the map again, the scoreboard will be stuck like I said in the beggining:

Pics:

In other maps without custom skin/sounds I couln't do it, because they load fast in comparison. So in the end:

- The problem could be that the map have a skin, and the fact that my PC is somewhat slow (Pentium 4 3.06 GHz / Geforce 6200) could "help" in in these long loads.

- Retrying the map will fix the scoreboard.

That's all, I think it's worth pointing this though its difficult to happen.

Edit: The same in this map: http://osu.ppy.sh/b/124701 (Custom skin/sound)

In my second play (in the first I unlocked the settings), I marked the skin and sounds and after a 4 or 5 seconds load, I thought, why not typing Alt+F4? The rest is the same:

SPOILER
Blue screen

Back in the selection screen, error in loading the beatmap

Playing the map next with scoreboard stuck(855 lol)

Alt+F4 destroys everything.
MillhioreF
Unresolving this - fixing "Disable video" didn't solve the problem, because it wasn't the cause, it was just a way to enable this.

Starting a map causes Visual Settings to pop up for a brief moment while the loading circle is still there. If the player manages to check one of the boxes before it hides itself down beneath the bottom, the Visual Settings panel will usually stay; at this point, rapidly clicking the three boxes will usually cause the map to not load in the same way as described in this thread's OP.
(Also, as a side issue, "Disable storyboard" is still clickable during this stage on maps with no storyboards)
Full Tablet

MillhioreF wrote:

Unresolving this - fixing "Disable video" didn't solve the problem, because it wasn't the cause, it was just a way to enable this.

Starting a map causes Visual Settings to pop up for a brief moment while the loading circle is still there. If the player manages to check one of the boxes before it hides itself down beneath the bottom, the Visual Settings panel will usually stay; at this point, rapidly clicking the three boxes will usually cause the map to not load in the same way as described in this thread's OP.
(Also, as a side issue, "Disable storyboard" is still clickable during this stage on maps with no storyboards)
I normally get this with slightly different conditions:
- Enabling/Disabling Storyboard doesn't seem to affect this at all.
- This happens while you can still change visual setting without restarting the map (basically between the time it starts loading, and the time you close visual settings).
- To this to happen, you have to enable/disable hitsounds or enable/disable skin while the spinning loading animation just starts. (Sometimes it happens when you change only one of the settings quickly, but it happens more frequently when changing one setting just after the other).
TheVileOne
I tried clicking it a lot and it does delay the loading time, but the song eventually loaded when I stopped clicking the options. It was not letting me check the same option quickly.
Ziggo
I always get this when I hit ignore skin and ignore hitsounds too fast in succession.
thelewa

Ziggo wrote:

I always get this when I hit ignore skin and ignore hitsounds too fast in succession.
I can confirm that this is a 100% surefire way to trigger this at my end, too. Sometimes it even crashes the beatmap, causing me to get thrown back into the main menu. This has been around ever since Fun Spoiler got changed into Visual Settings. (I've even had BATs confirm that it happens 100% of the time when you do it as I will describe shortly)

The key to triggering this is quickly disabling the beatmap's skin and hitsounds right at the beginning when osu! still manages to change those settings without the need of restarting the map. I'm talking about when you get that spinning loading thing at your screen. For some reason osu! can't disable the skin and the hitsounds at the same time using the coded in automatic restart function at the beginning of the map so it just loads forever.
Wishy
Indeed, this happens a lot and the way to avoid it is to wait for the map to fully load, pause, turn everything on and then retry.
peppy
Please test on the latest test build. I changed loading logic slightly which hopefully helped with this.
thelewa

peppy wrote:

Please test on the latest test build. I changed loading logic slightly which hopefully helped with this.
The problem is still present

do it like I did on the video and you're bound to trigger it 100% of the time, no matter what map

if you don't get it, you didn't disable the skin and hitsounds fast enough.
theowest
I noticed that you can unresolve this bug by taking a screenshot of it. So either that or Alt + F4.
peppy
Is this still possible?
Bauxe

peppy wrote:

Is this still possible?
Yes in both the live build and test build.
Natsu
Happen to me 10 minutes ago too
GoldenWolf
I couldn't replicate it on testbuild (b20130530, tested on ~30 random maps) but it still happens on live build
Dizco_old
Has this been happening in multiplayer games aswell? I only noticed this in the latest build:

MillhioreF
No posts in the last month, and there have been some visual settings optimisations since then. Marking resolved unless proven otherwise.