forum

Songs not loading when using Visual Settings [confirmed] [resolved]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Xytox
Something similar happens to me.

If I start a song and then turn off beatmap skin, storyboard, background dim, etc. too fast, osu will fail to load the song. What will happen is that it just keeps loading the song without anything happening. I can't click esc or anything. The only way to get out of it is to either restart osu, or flicker the beatmap skin, storyboard or hitsounds options off and on a couple of times.

I know this has been a problem in the past for some people, but it only used to happen to me once or twice a month before the update. Now after the update, it has already happened thrice for me today.
theowest
I've experienced this every now and then, a few times every month since beatmaps started to load with the beatmap processing graphic and give you time to change visual settings, update.
but a lot of users seem to experienced this a lot more now since this recent update.

I'm afraid there isn't much you can do yourself to make it go away forever, you can just retry the beatmap again and it should play just fine.
I'm not even sure if that's what this topic is about.I can't even replicate it yet...

edit: p/2190994 confirmed
Disso-
When I start a song and ignore the beatmap skin/hitsounds 90% of the time the song won't start, it just get stuck on the loading screen; when I alt+f4 out it says the song failed to load. This is only happening with the recent update.

Once I alt+f4 out and retry the song, the scoreboard is stuck on the left even with it hidden, and not colored; just in black/white:
theowest
same as this guy then t/123407
duplicate?
Froztic
i don't think it is the same.

that topic is about osu! for mac which can't even load a single map.
(although Xytox reply is pc-issue and is related to this one)

well, i don't have to explain much as Xytox's post explain it all
Disso-
Yeah sorry, it's the same as Xytox issue, but the leaderboard messes up as well if you enter the song after stopping the loading.
theowest
tyrantism didn't actually say he was a mac user, but he probably is since he replied to all the mac topics and it sounds more like he's having the same problem as them. If this is confirmed, I will split the windows user posts to this topic.
Froztic
@Disso- you mean this right ?

@theowest tyrantism is a mac user as he don't get new skin (well, wineskin doesn't update to get new skin yet)

also he only post to topic that has op says MAC / OS X
theowest
windows user posts has now been merged with this topic.
Disso-
Froztic; Yeah, that's what I mean. Retrying the song brings it back to normal though.
Froztic
confirmed maybe ?
Neyri-san
when i disable something before the song is just get stuck loading forever and eventually (several mins) i get kicked back to menu and it says it was an error loading the beatmap
Topic Starter
Xytox

Neyri wrote:

when i disable something before the song is just get stuck loading forever and eventually (several mins) i get kicked back to menu and it says it was an error loading the beatmap
Ya, I didn't mention it, but just for the sake of saying/confirming it: that's what happens if you wait long enough or start to flicker the toggle options in the visual settings. And you usually have to a wait a very long time before anything happens.
Harp Note
I had the same problem, but I had never put much attention to this. It started before this last big update, and now it's still happens.

By the way, when I play beatmaps that doesn't have storyboard and desactivate the sound and the beatmap skin, usually the storyboard check box lights up and if I check it (no reason), the map keeps loading forever. All of that have to happen immediatly after I select the song in the selection screen and before the actual song start.

Also, the thing about the score only happened to me once, after quiting with alt+f4, like everyody knows.

P.D: I think I probably sounded repetitive, but I not too good at english to write this in a better way without taking too much time.
Froztic
happen to map with storyboard only ?
i can't replicate this on non-storyboard map, but i'm not sure
Topic Starter
Xytox

Froztic wrote:

I've managed to make it happen on non-storyboard maps, so I don't think that's where the issue lies. Tried it just a couple of minutes ago.

Also, here's an example of what Harp Note was saying about the storyboard toggle being lit up the first few moments of the song.
As you can see, it's possible to toggle the storyboard on even if there is no storyboard for the map, the same goes for the video. Doing that usually results in an error when loading the beatmap, just like when you toggle the other options on too early. Although, I have managed to start a beatmap even with the disable storyboard toggled on, so it's still just a case of doing it too early that makes the error loading the beatmap occur. So I highly doubt the storyboard has anything to do with all of this. It seems to just be a case of interrupting osu in the middle of its loading that makes all of this happen.

So protip to whoever is reading this if you haven't figured it out already: If this happens to you, take a moment before clicking the toggles. That will most likely ensure that the beatmap loads correctly without any problems. Preferably let the beatmap completely load and then hit esc and put on the desired visual settings that you want.

It seems this issue does not exist in multiplayer either, but that might be because you aren't really able to disable anything except the background and video when playing. You can, but osu tells you to restart the beatmap to make the effects come into play, which you can't since it's multiplayer. So it isn't really possible to interrupt osu's loading when playing multi. At least, I have never been able to turn off beatmap skin and hitsounds without osu telling me to restart the beatmap in multi before.
Froztic
for anyone who still don't know what's going on here, i've record one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fss4V_WbEQ

unexpectedly drain me about 2hr to edit
enjoy !

@Xytox i will try on non-storyboard maps then
theowest
I just replicated this twice on parapara max which is a pretty big sb map. but when I took a screenshot it loaded

The second time I replicated this, I didn't take a screenshot but went out using Alt F4, and at the song listing I saw nothing strange. But when I entered the title menu everything was black except the osu! cookie and the supporter icon

it quickly turned back to normal again with this warning message.

I have actually experienced this a lot before (as mentioned earlier in my post), but I think it might happen a lot more often now since the recent big update.

I think I've stumbled upon another loading visual settings bug, where you can't bring it up until you actually pause the beatmap and bring it up. It's not going up automatically sometimes. I wonder why that's happening.
Topic Starter
Xytox

theowest wrote:

The second time I replicated this, I didn't take a screenshot but went out using Alt F4, and at the song listing I saw nothing strange. But when I entered the title menu everything was black except the osu! cookie and random skin elements (ranked beatmap icon for example)
This happened to me, and I don't know how to replicate it.

Looks like this normally.

I'm pretty sure it happened after a beatmap had failed loading, but I can't say that for certain. I was experimenting around a bit with the beatmap errors, but nothing out of interest really happened. So I gave up on it and started chatting with some people instead and had F9 up so my whole screen was covered. And then when I took it down after 20 or so minutes, I noticed the background was black.

But yeah, a lot of weird things happen when osu fails to load a beatmap. As shown in Froztic's video, osu had to try around three or four times before it could successfully load the beatmap that he tried to play after it crashed. I also recall (even though I never got the chance of getting a screenshot of it. I was in the middle of an FC, mind you) that when I was playing a beatmap after it crashed, it didn't count my score or combo on the left side where the leaderboards are. It counted everything just fine on the actual screen (score in the top right and combo in the bottom left), but for some reason it had not interest in counting in the little leaderboard section on the left. Everything worked fine except that.
Harp Note

Froztic wrote:

Just to be clear, it happened in non-storyboard maps, but I think I haven't tried in storyboard maps. (Right now I don't have the time to try it myself but you people had done it already lol)

Anyway Xytox got it right, and like you say:

Xytox wrote:

So protip to whoever is reading this if you haven't figured it out already: If this happens to you, take a moment before clicking the toggles. That will most likely ensure that the beatmap loads correctly without any problems. Preferably let the beatmap completely load and then hit esc and put on the desired visual settings that you want..
That's the best way to avoid this problem. Until it's solved of course.
theowest
I've also had this happened to me on non-sb maps, it's just not happening as much for me. It's a lot easier to replicate this on SB maps, probably to do with the fact that you're loading more.
Skinned beatmaps could probably also be used to replicate this.
Mismagius
Only happened after I spammed the toggles. Not on a SB map. No black main menu, though.

EDIT: WOOPS, there we go!

AND this as well:

Tried to acess edit mode on it aaaaand guess what happens?

CruzadoqL
This happens to me :s

I just wanted to record my replay and the song doesn't load
Then I just pressed alt+f4 to return to the menu and it looks really weird :s
MillhioreF
I got this by toggling "Disable video" on a map without video. The box isn't greyes out until the map loads fully.
TheAussie
Explain the issue you are having:
When i load some songs it hangs on the loading animation

Is it reproducible? If so, explain the steps to do so:

1. It happends only on some beatmaps.

Include any relevant video or screenshots, and hardware information for hard crashes or lag issues:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
Osu Build: b20130325
Compa
Confirmed. (No video or pictures though :'D)
theowest
t/123590 duplicate

merging
MillhioreF
To clarify my previous post, checking "Disable video" on a map without video triggers this bug almost every time. There are a couple seconds (or more for marathons) where it's clickable before the map loads and it greys out. Then you get stuck, and the only way out is clicking the red X or Alt+F4 (Esc doesn't work)
MillhioreF

The changelog wrote:

[peppy] Fix ability to toggle video disable briefly on maps which don't have videos (causing a crash).
Nice to see this is fixed! Can anyone replicate it with other visual settings?
show more