forum

[added] [Editor Mode] Move placed notes using Keyboard

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +28
show more
Topic Starter
Lanturn
So another thing I was thinking, just as an added bonus, though it probably wouldn't matter that much since its easy enough to do with the mouse. Maybe if you held down shift + ctrl/alt and nudged the note over, it could move it one grid snap as well. What do you guys think? It'd be good for tiny grids and useful for making stuff symmetrical when doing horizontal flips.
theowest

Lanturn wrote:

So another thing I was thinking, just as an added bonus, though it probably wouldn't matter that much since its easy enough to do with the mouse. Maybe if you held down shift + ctrl/alt and nudged the note over, it could move it one grid snap as well. What do you guys think? It'd be good for tiny grids and useful for making stuff symmetrical when doing horizontal flips.
That's a nice thought, alternative to having to nudge it with your mouse by temporarily turning off the distance spacing.
TheVileOne
I agree. I hope that if grid snap is turned off, we can move in 1 pixel increments. That would be so useful.

I would prefer if I could remap the command though. 1 keypress per button would allow this. I want to use numpad.
Mithos
I'll support this. Most graphic editors like photoshop and the yearbook editor I use allow for arrow movements.
Topic Starter
Lanturn
It's been awhile since I made this thread. I've recently been having to use my touchpad and it's a bit frustrating. Also i really like dekaane's idea of nudging the nodes of sliders around. Maybe a direct click after selecting the slider would enable it since you can't directly select them.

Things we have so far:

Ctrl/Alt + arrows | nudges a note.
+shift to the above | nudges a note 1 grid snap
Numpad | nudges a note. (can add shift as well)
Ability to move nodes in sliders.
Ability to rebind the hotkeys to whatever we want.

Great list so far. Keep those ideas pouring in!
MillhioreF
Added!
Topic Starter
Lanturn
Hurray!

Thanks for adding this! :D

Arrows -> One Grid Snap
Shift+Arrows -> One Coord (ex, x45 -> x46)

Just in-case anyone is wondering.
Eni
!!
samplefish
Boop
Oinari-sama
yay~~
Eni
Just a note that the previous behavior of moving through the timeline with an object selected is overridden, so one must use the scroll wheel function instead.

Is there another keyboard alternative for this that does the same task?

------------------------------------------------

Edit: Did some testing and apparently no event is visible when the user uses the arrow keys while a spinner is selected. Due to the spinner not having coordinates, I say that this should be used for movement through the timeline instead of no event at all.
winber1
is there anyway to disable this or rebind this? it annoys the hell out of me when I'm trying to move the timeline with a note selected, and I do this a lot to test hitsounding sometimes or even to just look at a long slider or a pattern of sliders. Forcing me to deselect the slider or note, then have to reselect it again to change the hitsound, or change slider nodes, or to move back a few beats to listen to a certain section again is a pain.

also I can't undo it... so if i accidentally move a shape I have to manually move it back which is an even bigger pain.

i'd much rather have this be activated by ctrl+arrow keys rather than just the arrow keys themselves. this would make my life easier. or am i missing something here?
MillhioreF
Scrolling with the scroll wheel is much more intuitive than using the arrow keys to scroll through the timeline, but I completely forgot that there are people without scroll wheels (laptop trackpads).

I'll consider adding an extra key requirement, but keep in mind you'll be losing other behavior from that too; ctrl+arrows and alt+arrows already have built-in functions too. Editor keybindings are crowded!
winber1
idk, some reason i just like the arrows keys more. they just feel more smooth.

i also forgot that ctrl + arrow keys is the bookmark navigation, which ironically I use a lot.
Cherry Blossom
Could we be able to use ctrl+g after moving an object with Arrow keys ?
i use Arrow keys instead of my mouse Wheel to change ticks. (since my mouse Wheel is broken), and i feel annoyed when i forget that Arrow keys move notes.

ps : i've already read posts before
MillhioreF
What would you guys think of a binding shuffle to fit everything back in? Arrows move the timeline, ctrl+arrows move objects, alt+arrows jump to next bookmark, ctrl+alt+arrows jump to next timing point.

Edit, lol, I forgot some people's monitors change orientation with ctrl+alt+arrows. Might make alt + side arrows jump to bookmarks, alt + vertical arrows jump to timing points. How would that be?
Topic Starter
Lanturn
only thing I can really think of is the numpad since it really isn't being used by anything else. Though I guess not everyone has it. Control+Arrows seem to be the best option to fit everything in.

Thanks for working on this MillhioreF :)

Actually. What about using Shift+<> Shift+[ ] or other combinations to jump points and such? It seems like a good alternative. Not sure what everything is bound to though.

To be honest. , and . without any hotkeys would work perfectly for moving in the timeline.
MMd-
won't it be easier if player can customize it from [Key Bindings] option?
Ciyus Miapah

MMd- wrote:

won't it be easier if player can customize it from [Key Bindings] option?
yea i agree, cause the previous update the ← and → arrows are function on move some timeline with keyboard, im just realize to move timeline you need to unsnap some objects in selections, it makes it hard to do. pls do some simple things in here. look down pls

Lanturn wrote:

only thing I can really think of is the numpad since it really isn't being used by anything else. Though I guess not everyone has it. Control+Arrows seem to be the best option to fit everything in.

Thanks for working on this MillhioreF :)

Actually. What about using Shift+<> Shift+[ ] or other combinations to jump points and such? It seems like a good alternative. Not sure what everything is bound to though.

To be honest. , and . without any hotkeys would work perfectly for moving in the timeline.
Some Suggestion by me
- use only numpad for this one!
  1. Num 8 for ↑
  2. Num 2 for↓
  3. Num 4 for←
  4. Num 6 for →
- Set this thing to Keybindings!

- honestly im always make some beatmap in objects and distance, i always check some distance in here and using alt and hold it for nudge some circles with mouse, but idk it just like some perfection!

- use [ and ] or < and > makes it really confusing, why? cause i probably confused about this one xD and i think this better added in keybindings. but once again use numpad as default keybindings!

thanks for attention hope this help :)
MillhioreF
As someone with no numpad and whose mouse skips pixels (so it can be hard to impossible to get precise pixel positioning with it) I don't think any of those suggestions are optimal.
MMd-
I do have same condition with you btw (using netbook's keyboard that doesn't have numpad and only have touchpad for navigating cursor, which is shit for mapping)

Letting the shortcut available to customized (via Key Bindings options) is a good idea imo, player who doesn't like this update but still need it can set the keybinds themselves. but mostly I really want this because only my right arrow button that still worked `3`
and I apologize if you already planned this for next update
WingSilent
Just the arrows only is painful.. im usually mapping with arrow keys to navigate every ticks with a selected circle or slider to see better for an ovetlap etc.. And now i can't anymore because it moves the selected element instead of the timeline. So the good fix would be allowing another key to move elements, such as ctrl+arrows or alt+arrows.

Thanks.
Konei
Just give an option to switch this on or off? It's really annoying for me, since I just need the arrows to navigate through the timeline.
No_Gu
I have a mapping habit that I usually control the time line with the arrow keys to see the situation of previous seconds or to have a little view of new mapped pattern.

More specifically,when I add hitsound with playing the music,after I selected a note and add some hitsound on it(after that if I don't click the empty area,the note is still selected),I want to check how the hitsound works so I press "←".Then the note moved left and the time line can't be controlled directly.This forces me to change back the note to the place where it used to be.This doesn't make mapping easy but increased unnecessary troubles.
Another fact,sometimes I like to map the rhythm first than arrangement.when I come back to design the arrangement,after I have put one note to the place,I want to see how it shows with its previous notes(like if the shape is good,or the flow is good or not etc.).I need to press "←",still,it moves left but not to the time point I want.

In a word,this function doesn't make any benefit for me but brings me much trouble.To be honest,when I map with the function it makes me so annoyed that I nearly want to break my keyboard...

Maybe we can make a switch of this function (add a option in edit/compose etc.) or use number 2468 instead of arrow keys.but for now,I can't compliment it.
Oinari-sama
Please continue the discussions at t/228984. It's more convenient.