forum

Repeat arrow nearly invisible on light combo color [confirmed]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kawayi Rika
Hey,guys ~ i found a issue in new defult skin ~

The white sliderarrow is too hard to tell with white sliders. i wonder why it doesnt turn to black for this map. does this bug also happen to you or it's just me? What should we do now?

Map : https://osu.ppy.sh/s/62720

Normal : 00:24:746 (6) -

How to replicate:
Create a slider with a reverse arrow, then give it a combo color with an RGB triplet of 218,182,182.
grumd
No, it's black for me.
Why don't you post this in Tech Support forums but here anyway?
Topic Starter
Kawayi Rika

grumd wrote:

No, it's black for me.
Why don't you post this in Tech Support forums but here anyway?
Hmm,ok ~ but still white for me.

i want discuss with team.
mancuso_JM_
Yes, I have the same problem as you Rika..
The reverse arrow is invisible to me.
lolcubes
Moved to tech support as this is an issue.
Also renamed the topic to something more specific.

I can't replicate though. :/
Froztic
default skin: black overlay on arrow (when hitcircle color is light enough)
custom skin (with reversearrow.png): no overlay
custom skin (without reversearrow.png)
- 'prefer new default when skin not available' unchecked: no overlay
- 'prefer new default when skin not available' checled: black overlay on arrow.
don't know if this intended or not.
theowest
It should have a black outline when it's white (darker combo colours) and white when it's black (lighter). Wouldn't that be the best fix?

You can compare this to how text with opposite colour outline can be read the best on any coloured background, it applies here too.
Froztic
new default tends to use overlay instead of outline for reverse arrow.
(actually osu! never use outline, the old default skin itself has an outline in .png file and will dissolve in the darker combo color)

just apply the overlay for custom skin (which doesn't have reversearrow.png) even 'prefer new default when skin not available' unchecked should fix this.
peppy
This should be fixed in thenext build.
TheVileOne
There are issues with nearly white sliders with white repeat arrows. When the kiai flashes, the entire arrow disappears in the flash.

It's in this map.

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/206963

Hue 160
Sat 0
Lum 181
red 192
Green 192
Blue 192

These types of colors need black arrows.
TheVileOne
Okay. I'm confirming this. I've found some light sliders that have very hard to see reverse arrows while playing.

Compare these two slider colors in this map.

The dark pink color has the black arrow, but the light pink combo has the white arrow. When a light colored slider with a light arrow appears during kiai it becomes exceptionally difficult to see because of the flashing hitobjects. I have hitlighting turned off. It is distracting even outside of kiai when I have that turned on. It is affecting my ability to play maps that have this problem.
statementreply
It's also very hard to see white reverse arrows on yellow sliders even without kiai.

I'd suggest using 0.2126*R+0.7152*G+0.0722*B>threshold (or something like this) as the criteria for black reverse arrows. It works better than (R+G+B)/3 :P